Start by marking “The Gargoyle on the Roof” as Want to Read:
The Gargoyle on the Roof

The Gargoyle on the Roof

Nobody but Jack Prelutsky and Peter Sis could thrice dip into a bubbling cauldron of spooky fun and produce The Dragons Are Singing Tonight, Monday's Troll, and now The Gargoyle on the Roof. Young fans who've been growling for more from this remarkable pair will devour these seventeen new poems. And whether they prefer gargoyles, griffins, or gremlins, this one-of-a-kind c ...more
Published July 25th 2006 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Gargoyle on the Roof, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gargoyle on the Roof

Start your review of The Gargoyle on the Roof
Kaethe Douglas
Nov 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I like my verse light, my subject matter gothic (or faux-gothic), my art richly detailed, and all of it with sardonic tone. So yeah, perfect. Goes well with Adam Rex or Edward Gorey.

Library copy.
Amy
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These poems are fun, spooky, and surprising. My kids have loved them at many different ages. We checked it out from the library many times and finally found our own copy. Our favorite is "My Sister is a Werewolf."
Linda
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Gargoyles, trolls, goblins and werewolves gather in these poems.
Emily Kelin
This is a collection of light, silly poems about different creatures. We have discussed in the course how larger audiences can view children's poetry as silly or simple, and Jack Prelutsky's work is an example of this. Still, Peter Sis' illustrations add some darkness to the poems. The borders on each page unify the poems with a different illustration surrounding each page. The book is also interesting for its characters - each poem contains a different monster or Halloween-related character (an ...more
Lili
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Book Aunts
Shelves: children-s-books
Add a half star. The third (final) book of poetry by Jack Prelutsky and Peter Sis, which I found as a hostess gift for my little friend in Texas next week. It took awhile since the title is out-of-print.

The illustrations are awesome, even better than those in Monday's Troll, especially the facial expressions on the gargoyles and griffins. I had high hopes of finding griffins in the collection, but there was only one poem about "Guffin and Giffin, Unthinkable Griffins." I'm still not quite sure o
Julia Jasztal
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mommy's review from 10/29/11 -

There aren't very many poetry books listed here for Julia or myself. Neither of us is very interested in it really. We borrowed this from the library because we were on a spooky book hunt and while checking out happened to see this. We didn't look closely, if we had we may have left it, and found it was a collection of "spooky" poems once we cracked it open yesterday afternoon.
They're good. They're my kind of poems. Julia's too. They rhyme for the most part, import
Marilyn
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ultimate Reading Challenge 2017. A book with pictures.

As usual wonderful sing-song poetry and great illustrations. Particularly good for ghoulish little boys.
Jennie
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
A collection of poetry about dark creatures such as vampires, ghouls and the boogeyman. The author is sympathetic to the subtle feelings of these characters. Cleverly written with a very silly but amusing sense of humor. I laughed at a few of the puns. Also somewhat thought provoking since all the “monsters” actually have quite human feelings.
Karen GoatKeeper
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
The poems are fun. The illustrations are superb. This is a delightful book to read silently or aloud. Many of the poems have a thoughtful theme buried in the fun lines.

Although a gargoyle may sound like a scary Halloween subject, these are not really scary poems. They are also short with rhyme and meter making them easy to read aloud.
Charlene McCormack
Apr 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
I thought this was a fun way to look at monsters for kids. It has a poem about a werewolves’ barber and how dangerous it can be trimming their nails. The images are dark and spooky but not too scary for young kids. Appropriate for 9 to 12 year olds or young monsters. :P
Gretchen
A clever set of children's poems that focus on the "monsters" that usually show up as the antagonists in children's stories. I like the tongue-in-cheek subject matter and the fun, frivolous tone of the tales.
Rachel
Mar 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, poetry
Cute poems about monsters: vampires, werewolves, gargoyles, bogeymen etc. Kids would love them. I actually preferred the Jack Prelutsky poem in "A Family of Poems" by Caroline Kennedy, which I read immediately afterwards a whole lot better.
JeanLeslie Baker
May 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
aussi bon en français qu'en anglais, ce livre mérite une lecture à voix haute, en classe ou en famille. Les illustrations sont aussi fortes que les poèmes. Fantastic book, of course -- this is Prelutsky, after all.
Martha
Jun 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crisp and witty poems about frightening creatures paired with Peter Sis' inventive illustrations makes this book a real treat. My fave: "I'm Not Open for an Hour" (about a barber whose clientele is werewolves; this barber needs to prepare for his terrifying customers carefully, after all).
Misbah
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun prelutsky poems about spooky things like gargoyles and werewolves.
Maria
A collection of poems that would be great to read for Halloween. The poems about the gargoyles are my favorite. The picture clues can be used to figure out what certain poems are saying.
Angela Aubergine
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
loved this!
Vegfamily
Mar 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very funny poems about all kinds of monsters, ogres, werewolves,etc.
Gena Lott
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
A wonderful collection of monster poems.
Amy

• Hooray For The 4th Of July Level 2
  • The World's Most Famous Ghosts
  • Saint George and the Dragon
  • Queen of the Falls
  • Charmed (Fairy Tale Reform School, #2)
  • Hanayome wa Motodanshi
  • 黒執事 XV [Kuroshitsuji XV]
  • Halloween: Stories and Poems
  • Alamo All-Stars
  • NARUTO -ナルト- 巻ノ六十二
Jack Prelutsky is an American poet. He attended New York public schools, and later the High School of Music and Art and Hunter College. Prelutsky, who has also worked as a busboy, furniture mover, folk singer, and cab driver, claims that he hated poetry in grade school because of the way it was taught. He is the author of more than 30 poetry collections including Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your ...more