Start by marking “The River of Souls (Matthew Corbett, #5)” as Want to Read:
The River of Souls (Matthew Corbett, #5)

The River of Souls

(Matthew Corbett #5)

The year is 1703. The place: the Carolina settlement of Charles Town. . Matthew Corbett, professional “problem solver,” has accepted a lucrative, if unusual, commission: escorting a beautiful woman to a fancy dress ball.

What should be a pleasant assignment takes a darker turn when Matthew becomes involved in a murder investigation. A sixteen-year-old girl has been stabbed
Published May 31st 2014 by Subterranean Press (first published May 30th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The River of Souls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The River of Souls

David Sven
Matthew Corbett takes a well earned break after his ordeals with Professor Fell in the last book. The Herald Agency sends Matthew back to where it all began - to Charlestown.

Of course, with Professor Fell busy licking his wounds, we can't just let Matthew Corbett wander about doing nothing - that would make for a rather boring story. No that will not do at all.

Instead Matthew will accept a duel to the death relying on his wits that will see his opponent pulling his hair out. Then Matthew will he
Emma
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A shorter book in the series with a less complicated adventure than usual but still of absolutely superb quality. I loved Magnus Muldoon and how Matthew interacted with him and how his life changed in the course of the book. I feel I could quite happily follow Matthew Corbett through a thoroughly routine schedule and still be content. But then.... I was drifting along on the anticipated and logical conclusion to this 'less complicated' story when....wait now!whats that?! Back up a minute! The st ...more
Char
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars!
I'm a tad disappointed. Maybe it's because I love this series so much and I expected a lot from this volume. Maybe it's because I'm used to big books in this series and this volume is short. I'm not quite sure why, but I'm feeling unfulfilled.

Our beloved "problem solver" Matthew Corbett has ventured from NYC circa 1703 and is currently situated in Charles Town, Carolina. He has been hired to bring the local belle to a ball and what could be an easier job? Of course, Matthew being Matt
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
So far the shortest installment in the Matthew Corbett series, but still a very engaging tale set in the swamps of the early south. McCammon is a master!
Bill
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Matthew Corbett.

Robert McCammon.

I think the best thing about this one was the story of Magnus and the cliffhanger ending (which I typically hate). Entertaining and written well, as usual, but now I really need to find out what happens next. I have some definite ideas about where this one should go and would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned since the last two in the series were just a wee better than good for me. I hope the next one brings it back around.
Jason Parent
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The shortest book by far in the series, but man does it pack a punch! Loved it - what an ending! The only criticism I would have is how small of a world Corbett's is - the convenience of characters coming together - but hey, it's fiction, and it's fantastic.
Richard
In this latest installment in the excellent series set in the early 1700's featuring the young problem-solver Matthew Corbett, Matthew is on edge after his dangerous adventure at the Caribbean stronghold of the mysterious Professor Fell (in the last book The Providence Rider, my review here), an adventure that has put a rift between him and his main squeeze, Berry Grisby. So when he is offered a tempting 50 pounds for the easy-peasy job of escorting a young debutante to a high class ball in the ...more
Pamellia
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
River of Souls by Robert McCammon
January 17 to January 19, 2015
Recommended by internet friends

This is the fifth offering for the Matthew Corbett Series. In a way this is a difficult book for me to review. I want to review it as a stand alone book, but I cannot help comparing it to the other Corbett stories. This book is shorter than the other books, thus the story is not as long and involved. I missed the longer more involved story while at the same time appreciated the story as it is. It was a
Banner
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This was the shortest of the series so far but certainly one of the most powerful stories. Our protagonist has matured in his role as a problem solver (or as we like to say in the 21st Century "Detective"). What starts out as a seemingly innocent case that involves chaperoning in a remote area on North Carolina, turns into one of the more powerful hunts for justice we have thus far witnessed.

The historic setting continues to engage me. While I'm not an historian I do love learning how people li
Fredward
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: thoughts on this book in particular but also the series as a whole.

I had a feeling when I started reading this series that I would find it enjoyable but by the end I'd be really tired of it. I was right. This is now the third book IN A ROW where a female has been introduced seemingly for the sole reason of being a way to forward the plot/Matthew and then conveniently dying. I have a really low tolerance for tropes and the whole Bond thing just isn't working for me. There's some othe
Tobin Elliott
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, fiction
Maybe I'm burning out on Matthew Corbett. Or maybe McCammon is. Either way, I found I wasn't as engaged in this story as I've been in the previous four. I felt like I could see behind the curtains here, and McCammon's plot machinations were quite obvious.

The story wasn't bad, somewhat mirroring the third in the series (and my personal favourite). But it also seemed to recall all that was not great about Gone South, a novel I had a very hard time with.

I don't know. There's nothing I can specifica
Jon Recluse
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Matthew Corbett returns for a fateful trip down the cursed River of Souls and into the heart of darkness, to face horrors and mysteries both real and unreal in this relatively engaging fifth installment of the series.
Sadly, it is also the weakest. The spark that made the series so fresh and exciting has fizzled a bit. The signature heart and enthusiasm that marks the rest of McCammon's work is lacking here.
Still, even a below average McCammon is better than most of the best of the rest.
We will
Anthony
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ah! It's one of THOSE endings, huh? Well, I may take the bait, but just not quite yet. I like to delay my gratifications... If I were to go on and start with the next Corbett book, Freedom of the Mask, then by the time I finish -- I'll have no more Corbett books to look forward to until McCammon decides to publish Cardinal Black. And who knows how long that will take?

I see a lot of four-star reviews for River of Souls, and I'm wondering if it's because readers are rating this against the other
Connor
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
I've been following the Matthew Corbett series since "Speaks the Nightbird", and sadly this is the weakest novel thus far. Firstly, the book was short and lacked much of the atmosphere and historical tinges that have made the others so enjoyable.

The introduction was structured a bit strangely for my taste, with the narrative jumping around in both time and location. I understand what the intended purpose was (to convey Matthew's sense of confusion and bewilderment in the opening situation) but i
Karen Patterson
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
McCammon does it again, however, at only 257 pages I would consider this more of a short story and set up for the next book. His past books have weighed in at between 440 to over 800 pages. Still I enjoyed every page and tried to savor it as long as I could which happened to be only two days! This fifth in the series picked up pretty much where it left off on the fourth book, but took a break from Professor Fell and the characters in New York with Matthew heading off to do an "easy" job down sou ...more
Bogdan
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history, crime
Not bad. But not great either. It has a straightforward action, some interesting characters and in it`s last part it has a introduction for the next book of the series. Usually these novels were more intricate and careful constructed, but being a short novel, some of these complex aspects are missing.
So, two stars for this one.
Karissa
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it
I got a copy of this book through the Amazon Vine program to review. When I got this book for review I did not realize that it is the fifth book in the Matthew Corbett series. I would recommend reading the previous books before this one, there are a lot of references to events in past books that I found hard to follow.

The story was incredibly simple. Basically Matthew takes what should be a straight-forward job escorting a beautiful girl to a country ball. However the next day a young woman is m
Russ
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
A beautifully worded piece of historical crime fiction marred by logical implausibilities and an awkward second half.

The descriptions in River of Souls are exquisite. I’ve read several powerful Southern “river books” (Deliverance, The River of Kings, etc.) and the rich yet natural language in this book rivals and, in many instances, outshines the competition.

However, I had to suspend my disbelief every couple of chapters. The first implausible event involves a duel. A fierce ape of a man named M
Jean
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book for its great prose, beautifully written sentences place me there in the story.
It helps to read the series in order, though the author does remind you or introduce you to the flow of previous books' events. I am a huge fan of Robert McCammon.
Bob Price
Oct 06, 2014 rated it liked it

If this series hasn't jumped the shark, it is definitely swimming with it.

The River of Souls is the 5th in the Matthew Corbett series and the first one to return back to South Carolina. It is 1703 and Corbett is recovering from the events of The Providence Rider and is looking for a new assignment or something to distract him from his romance problems.

The solution comes in the form of a request to accompany a beautiful woman to a ball. Corbett reluctantly agrees and off he goes back to South Ca
Victoria
I am so glad that I held off on reading the fourth book in the Matthew Corbett series, The Providence Rider, so that I could read it consecutively with this fifth installment to the historical mystery series featuring the young problem solver. This book opens almost immediately after the previous book’s close and once again, Corbett’s head has not fully come to terms with the events of the past novel. McCammon offers reminders of not only the events covered in the last book, but the earlier volu ...more
Chantal Noordeloos
Apr 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Wow... It's been a while since I've been this annoyed with a book. This series started off fantastic, and slowly became gradually less good. This last book was, in my opinion, terrible.
The plot was rushed, and the characters made the oddest choices. The main character, who I thought was an intelligent and charismatic man in the first 2 (maybe 3) books, got on my nerves in this book. His latest test is nothing short of a poorly written after-school special. The characters are a mockery and what c
PrettyPolly
May 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
I've had it! I quit! The Providence Rider had left a sour taste in my mouth with its treatment of Pretty Woman Who Sits Alone (Rape defiles a woman forever! Suicide is better then living as a defiled woman! Native Americans are noble savages!) but I was hoping that it was a one-time blunder in a book series that I otherwise loved. But no, the River of Souls kicked off with a frankly bizarre story where a woman somehow ends up being the villain for... going to balls? Not having sympathy for her s ...more
Randolph
Aug 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, owned, thriller, crime
Three and a half stars actually. I liked it better than The Providence Rider but I think it still falls to the second weakest book of the five so far. At least the dastardly Professor Fell and his evil global crime organization only played a minor role, in the end. I guess we know where the next book will start. Characterization was back up a notch from the previous book, which is McCammon's real strength. I'm not sure when the next installment is due, but yeah I'll probably read it. I'm a sucke ...more
Dosha (Bluestocking7) Beard
Another great one in this series. I just downloaded the next in the series and looking forward to it for the new year. Poor Matthew has no clue that he is headed back into big trouble with a character from the previous book.
Linda
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Matthew Corbett series but I thought this book, although very good, was a bit too short. I'm used to Matthew completing his adventure in each book and now I have to wait quite a long time for the ending to this. That's why 4 stars instead of 5.
Adelise
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this MC installment, but I just found that it was a bit short. I actually waited for #6 to come out before I started it because I knew it was short and I would want to be able to move on to #6 when I was done.
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
I am so excited about this one!
Julie Kellner
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another great instalment in the Mattew Corbett series, I eagerly await the next novel
Layne
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
The hangerest of cliffs...Or the cliffiest of hangers...
Robert McCammon: THE RIVER OF SOULS has been announced 13 40 Aug 17, 2014 08:49AM
Horror Aficionados : River of Souls 38 47 Jul 14, 2014 09:13AM
  • The Two (January David #2)
  • Requiem for a Ruler of Worlds (Alacrity FitzHugh & Hobart Floyt, #1)
  • Eyes of the Predator: The Pickham County Murders (The Hunters #1)
  • Straits of Hell (Destroyermen, #10)
  • The Immortals
  • Escaping Life
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 6: Fragments (Spinward Fringe, #6, Rogue Element, #2)
  • Resurrected (Adam Wolf Thriller, #1)
  • An Appointment with Murder (Sarah Woods Mystery, #1)
  • Dumb White Husband vs. the Grocery Store
  • Cup of Blood (Crispin Guest #7)
  • The Psalter
  • Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Niki Slobodian, #1)
  • Blood Stained (Lucy Guardino, #2)
  • Earthman Jack vs. the Ghost Planet (The Earthman Jack Space Saga, #1)
  • 13 (Tallent & Lowery, #1)
  • The House Between the Worlds
  • 1812: The Navy's War
Robert Rick McCammon was a full-time horror writer for many years. After taking a hiatus for his family, he returned to writing with an interest in historical fiction.

The sixth book in his Matthew Corbett historical fiction series, Freedom of the Mask, was published in May 2016.

The second book in the Trevor Lawson I Travel by Night series, Last Train from Perdition, was published in October 2016.

H

Matthew Corbett (8 books)
  • Speaks the Nightbird (Matthew Corbett, #1)
  • The Queen of Bedlam (Matthew Corbett, #2)
  • Mister Slaughter (Matthew Corbett, #3)
  • The Providence Rider (Matthew Corbett, #4)
  • Freedom of the Mask (Matthew Corbett, #6)
  • The Pale Pipesmoker  (Matthew Corbett, #6.1)
  • Cardinal Black (Matthew Corbett, #7)