Start by marking “Searching for Silverheels” as Want to Read:
Searching for Silverheels

Searching for Silverheels

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  104 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
A girl’s search for the truth about a legendary woman teaches her a lot about what bravery and loyalty really mean in this gorgeous novel from the author of Katerina’s Wish.

In her small Colorado town of Silverheels, Pearl spends the summers helping her mother run the family café and entertaining tourists with the legend of Silverheels, a beautiful dancer who nursed miners
Published September 2nd 2014 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published September 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Searching for Silverheels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Searching for Silverheels

Jean
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As always, Jeannie Mobley does a masterful job of weaving rich Colorado history into a compelling story. SEARCHING FOR SILVERHEELS is a solid reminder of the importance of inner strength, civil rights and compassion in the making of, not only a great state, but a great nation.
Cynthia Egbert
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
I loved this book, but then, the legend of Silverheels is near and dear to my heart. I will admit that I nearly put the book aside when I was about halfway through because I became concerned that the author was going to stomp on my idea of Silverheels, but I kept going and I am glad I did. If you have a young person who already loves the legend of Silverheels (that might be a small audience) or if you want to introduce a middle-grade person to a terrific myth from the Colorado mountains, you sho ...more
Tara
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, middle-grade
This fantastic sophomore outing confirms Jeannie Mobley as one of my favorite middle-grade authors. This book has the perfect mix of mystery, history, politics, and romance, with a good dose of humor thrown in for good measure.

The story, set during WWI, focuses on the relationship between 13-year-old Pearl and 70-something Josie. Josie wants all American women to have the vote; Pearl wants Josie to stop bothering the tourists at her mother's cafe with her political rants and suffragist handbill
Sophie
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an advance copy of SEARCHING FOR SILVERHEELS, which I have been looking forward to. The binding says it is coming out in September--so get ready! This is a perfect book for middle-school classrooms and libraries, for girls who love mysteries or historical fiction or who are from Colorado. Hint: anyone with an affiliation with Wellesley College will also want to read this novel for a surprise revelation that comes toward the end!

SEARCHING FOR SILVERHEELS is a compellin
Darby Karchut
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It is finally here!!!

Set in a small mining town in Colorado at the beginning of World War I, Searching for Silverheels is a delightful mix of mystery, history, and a coming-of-age story that teens and adults will love. That said, there is a darker side to this story that explores ethnic prejudices, the subjugation of women, and the question of free speech versus sedition. I applaud Jeannie Mobley for writing about issues that still resonate today. As a middle school social studies teacher, this
Mary Louise
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's WWI and thirteen-year-old Pearl helps her mother cater to tourists in the small Colorado town, Silverheels, at their family cafe. Pearl also interacts with the tourists and telling them legends about the town's namesake, Silverheels, a dancer who nursed Colorado miners during a smallpox epidemic in 1861.

Pearl is so caught up in the romance of the legend that it fuels her romantic dreams for handsome George Crawford, which infuriates Josie, a regular adult customer at the cafe and a suffrage
J.V.L.
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book and loved how the author seamlessly tied the history and historic story into the story of her main character and that character's growth. I really enjoyed it.
Ms. Yingling
Oct 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Pearl is a big help to her mother in running the family diner in the early 1900s Colorado town of Como. Her father is off working, and things are changing. Her best friend Imogene is obsessed with finding romance, and Pearl has her own crushes, but she also has to deal with local eccentric, Josie, an older woman who passes out leaflets championing women's suffrage. When attractive tourist Frank comes to town, Pearl tells the local legend of Silverheels, a dance hall girl who supposedly nursed mi ...more
Rory
[An ARC was provided]

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, although I don't usually read historical fiction. The characters were vivid and the interactions between all of them were very realistic and dynamic. I did get annoyed at Pearline a little with her infatuation with George (view spoiler) but she definitely redeemed herself in the end. There was a really interesting plot twist at the end with Josie, which also pulle
Amy
fun, JF historical story set in Colorado, based on true legends of a woman named Silverheels. I had never heard of her before, but I look forward to finding her peak next time we are in CO! Kathryn read this also, she enjoyed it.
Sarah Schantz
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
While I absolutely adored Katerina's Wish, I fell head over (silver) heels in love with Jeannie Mobley's second novel. Like her first book, Searching for Silverheels is a book for everyone, any age. Furthermore, it encompasses everything an excellent book should: an historical novel, Searching for Silverheels pays homage to the dime novels and penny dreadfuls the protaganist, Pearl herself, loves to read, but it also pays homage to the ghost stories I grew up reading and hearing as a Colorado na ...more
Wendy
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked this at times, but thought it was quite a bit too long (repetitious in places) and the feminism--because yes! Jeannie Mobley is over here quietly writing non-anachronistic feminist historical fiction, people!--ended up not quite meshing with what I'd hoped for. There were issues of consent that I wish had been explored a little more--the set up was there ("isn't that what you brought me out here where no one could see us for?"--not an exact quote) but the finish wasn't. And I ended up fe ...more
Clover White
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book sat on my nightstand until it had run through all my renewals and was almost due. The topic seemed a bit dry, and the cover wasn't exciting. I had read and enjoyed Katerina's Wish, though, and enjoyed it, so I finally waded into this book. It was pleasantly better than I expected. Interesting characters, and the history was skillfully woven into the story. I didn't feel the time period as keenly as I had hoped, however. I don't know if it was just because small towns in Colorado were t ...more
Roark Anderson
Jan 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book simply missed the mark. It was not only to obvious what would happen, but at the same time the ending left you scratching your head as to what exactly that was. The characters were not deep enough to be relatable and the story as a whole just dragged along. If it had been a much longer book I would most likely not have finished it, but as it is I'm left rather disappointed that a cool concept was lost somewhere along the way.
Gloria Byrd
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful read!

I would recommend this book to any girl or young woman! It's a great example of a teen-aged girl gaining self confidence and learning to take a stand for something she believes in while doing so.
Having spent many weekends exploring this area with my family back in the day when my then-husband was an amateur prospector, it brought to life a picture of the Como- Fairplay area again. Good work, Jeannie!
Emilie Burack
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous story by the very talented Jeanie Mobley -- and already a Colorado Book Award winner! Mobley spins this mining town legend into a wonderfully exciting story that keeps you turning the pages. Kids and middle school teachers looking for lovable characters and a compelling mystery will eat this up!
Jeanne
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
History, mystery, and girl power!

I was a big fan of Jeannie Mobley's first book, KATERINA'S WISH, and her new book was just as engaging. The real-world-inspired mystery of Silverheels, rich historical setting, and Pearl's growth from swoony romance-obsessed girl to a young woman with ideas and conviction all made for a compelling and fun read.
Marissa Hakala
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
What I didn't realize until I finished the book was that it is actually based on a legend that is told in Colorado. Which was great for me because I love retellings. The legend of Silverheels was really interesting. I loved finding out the details of what happened along with Pearl. The only thing I didn't like was that the romance seemed kind of young, but it is a MG book, so it worked okay.
Emily
Nov 05, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a decent piece of historical fiction. But I don't imagine it will appeal to many young readers.
McArthur Library Staff Picks
Intriguing story mixing various elements -- from an old local legend, to life stateside during World War I. Throw in women's liberation and you've got a book of several genres!
Debbie Graham
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
A titch of penny dreadful to it, but solid writing overall. The melange of ghost story/historical fiction was fun.
Pamela
Apr 09, 2014 marked it as dnf
Review to come
Tanya
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was dragging my heels to read this but once I opened the pages, I couldn't stop. I love this story- a fantastic young adult historical fiction with strong female characters.
Judith P.
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Apparently, Silverheels is actually a legend in Colorado, and now I'm kinda freaking out just a little bit. I guess I have to take a vacation to Colorado now, guys!
Megan
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it
An excellent story! It's fantastic and funny and interesting. I loved it!
Sammy Sam
Julie Williams
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Anybody Shining
  • Passenger on the Pearl: The True Story of Emily Edmonson's Flight from Slavery
  • Grave Images
  • A Plague of Bogles (City of Orphans, #2)
  • Gabriel Finley and the Raven's Riddle (Gabriel Finley #1)
  • Ambassador (Ambassador #1)
  • The Perfect Place
  • Unstoppable Octobia May
  • Where I Belong
  • The Girls of Gettysburg
  • The Badger Knight
  • Rhyme Schemer
  • Lowriders in Space (Lowriders in Space, #1)
  • Until the Sea Shall Give Up Her Dead
  • Princess Juniper of the Hourglass (Princess Juniper #1)
  • The Magician's Tower (Oona Crate Mystery, #2)
  • The Magician's Fire (Young Houdini, #1)
  • Hunter Moran Digs Deep

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things