Start by marking “The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken (Chicken Squad Misadventure #2)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken (Chicken Squad Misadventure #2)

The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken

(Chicken Squad #2)

The Chicken Squad is back for its second (mis)adventure. Business is booming for Dirt, Sugar, Sweetie, and Poppy. When a weird blue bird flies into Chicken Squad headquarters squawking on about a house-napper (yes, house-napper), it is once again up to the squad to uncover who is up to no good.
Published September 30th 2014 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken

Laila (BigReadingLife)
My son really likes this series - they're cute and perfect for when your child is ready for chapter books. These little chicks are not very bright!
AMY
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades 3-5
Jadyn
Mar 21, 2018 added it
I don't know if you'll count this book but I read this book to my little sister before going to bed, The theme of this story is teamwork. The chickens fight at first and get mad but in the end they learn to work together cause working against eachother doesn't work, and as my little sister says "neither does arguing"
Nicole
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read with C. Sugar is my favourite. She is so bossy!
Carol Royce Owen
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a funny, silly story that I can see first through third grade students loving. The Chicken Squad is back and poised to help a weird blue chicken (blue jay), but they don't trust him and he doesn't trust them. The bird's problem is that someone has taken over his birdhouse. While investigating the chickens return to their coop to find that there has been another crime - someone is stealing grumpy squirrel's nuts. Can the two crimes be related? In a style of an Abbott and Costello routine, Di ...more
Shannon
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My 8 year old finished this book in an hour and loved it!
Patrick
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-kid-fiction
Cute follow up to the first book. Great early chapter book...
Sheri S.
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
My girls and I listened to the audio version of this story. Maybe I needed to have listened/read the first book to really appreciate this book, but I found it kind of a strange story and not all that entertaining. The Chicken Squad is an odd group of birds who try to solve crimes in their area. In this book, they are attempting to help a blue bird who has a tendency to confuse feet with inches.
Courtney Umlauf
A cute series for kids reading early chapter books. The silly humor is sure to please.

Series Review | TpT Store | Pinterest
Anthony
The Chicken Squad is back, this time they're using their skills of crime solving, to help find a missing birdhouse, and discover whose behind the theft of Grumpy Squirrel's acorns. In the process of crime busting, they help teach the difference between feet, and inches, and the importance of fruit in one's diet.
Becky
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The chicken squad is on the case when a little bird shows up on their doorstep needing help. Detective Sugar is not sure if she can trust the "weird blue chicken," but she decides the squad will help out. Lots of silliness ensues (my favorite is trying to leave the coop without being followed), and "oh brother," will they ever solve the case?
Matthew
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved that the weird blue chicken was a blue jay. This series really captures the comic absurdity that its characters represent. It's consistently funny and the madcap mysteries are great fun for readers of any age.
Darla
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I do love the chicken squad. They each have their own personality and talents. Love to watch them in action and see the farmyard from their point of view. Looking forward to the next adventure of these sassy little birds.
Miles
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stacey
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun and wacky like the first in the series. My students think they're quite humorous. A recommended read for EAL as the text is minimal (though some more challenging vocabulary for early EAL students) yet the content is not childish. Recommended for students in grades 1-3.
Sarah Rubin
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: with-j, youth-mg
This book was so much fun - a great read aloud with my son and husband. We all laughed heartily along the way. The characters are well crafted, and the illustrations support them well. I'd recommend and read again!
Readergirl77
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nathan loves these books...so much fun. He read them more than once and wants to continue with the series.
Julie
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Kids liked it a lot
Greymalkin
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Very fun! I think I liked the first one a smidge more but it was still very enjoyable.
Nick
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The case of the weird blue chicken is a great book you should read it too.
Cherie Smeltzer
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: swasey-books, grade-2
Silly chicks! Perfect for Grade 2 and fans of Doreen Cronin's picture books.
April
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
2nd-3rd grade
Jenn M
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
I listened to this book as an audiobook during an automobile trip with the family. I'm not sure if I had a hard time following the story because I was driving during the replay, or because I had not read the first book in the Chicken Squad series. Be that as it may, however, this book is a cute one for younger elementary readers (graded 2 thru 5). My 11-year-old son was not as enthralled as my 9-year-old daughter, but he listened attentively without interrupting for the most part.

The Chicken Squ
Marathon County Public Library
The Chicken Squad is a group of four hilarious chicks who are out to solve crime. When a blue jay, the weird blue chicken, flies in saying his house has been kidnapped, the Chicken Squad embarks on a journey to figure out who took the birdhouse and why. Filled with funny characters and an entertaining plot, this book is a great beginning chapter book for early readers. The illustrations by Kevin Cornell add to the story and Doreen Cronin brings the funny humor and crazy characters also found in ...more
William Doran
May 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: rll538
I do not understand the Chicken Squad. Perhaps I should have started with The First Misadventure to be better introduced to the characters and concept. The book is trite and bouncy and full of jokes. It would be a good silly read-aloud or a fun beach book for an older reader. This much older reader, however, doesn't get it.

The story is about the 'Weird Blue Chicken' trying to find his missing house with the help of the Chicken Squad. The WBC seems to actually be a blue jay. It's jokes and jokes
Jonah
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really like the Chicken Squad because it is really funny. Poppy and Sweetie go in the shoe. They think it is a weird blue chicken but it is really a blue jay. And they have another case where Grumpy Squirrel needs more acorns and he needs a hammer because he has emergency acorns he can use. My favorite character is Sugar because she is a little bit into talking about important stuff and weird stuff and she thinks chickens need things they don't really have (like a sack of rocks and an orange b ...more
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
Another laugh out loud book with the loveable chicken squad. I love those silly chickens and their hilarious interactions with the other animals. I literally laughed out loud numerous times. I loved reading this books to my boys. There is nothing better than sharing a good book while snuggled into bed. The boys and I cannot get enough of those fluffy, yellow chicks. The pictures that accompany the story are brilliant and add another element to the solid story telling. We cannot wait to see what ...more
Diane
The Chicken Squad is back and ready to take on the case of a "kidnapped birdhouse."

When the little blue bird shows up, Sugar is immediately suspicious. "Weird blue chicken doesn't like to answer questions." But finally, after a rather ridiculous interrogation and some miscommunication, Dirt steps in and they finally get to the root of the problem. A bird has taken over the little blue bird's birdhouse. To add to the mystery, Grumpy Squirrels acorns have all gone missing. Never fear, the Chicken
Carol
The (Mis)Adventures of the Chicken Squad are not to be missed by anyone, particularly kids 1st-3rd grade! These wacky and weird siblings desire to solve mysteries but have a tough time working together. Let's face it, they just get in each other's way and hinder any progress towards solving the case. Thankfully there are others in the farmyard to help them out and justice is always served. The illustrations are fun the story is even more fun. Cronin does a brilliant job of giving a personality t ...more
The Brothers
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Chicken Squad is back in this humorous story. This time they are offering their detective services (such as they are) to the needy masses. A little bluejay (referred to as the weird blue chicken) needs them to help her get her birdhouse back. Another bird has moved in and won't leave! The culprit proves closer to home than the Chicken Squad suspected!

I read this aloud to Dex (7yo) over the course of about a half an hour. It was really fun and silly. Illustrations are great.
  • Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny (Bunjitsu Bunny #1)
  • Jasper John Dooley: Star of the Week (Jasper John Dooley, #1)
  • Big Bad Detective Agency
  • Leroy Ninker Saddles Up (Tales from Deckawoo Drive, #1)
  • Clover's Luck (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #1)
  • Allergic to Dead Bodies, Funerals, and Other Fatal Circumstances (Alvin Ho, #4)
  • Lulu and the Dog from the Sea (Lulu, #2)
  • Piper Green and the Fairy Tree (Piper Green, #1)
  • Lulu's Mysterious Mission (Lulu, #3)
  • The Case of the Stolen Sixpence (Maisie Hitchins, #1)
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Marty McGuire Has Too Many Pets!  (Marty McGuire #3)
  • Stick Dog Dreams of Ice Cream (Stick Dog, #4)
  • Puppy's Big Day
  • Like Carrot Juice on a Cupcake (Eleanor, #3)
  • Missing Monkey! (Good Crooks, #1)
  • The Haunted Library (The Haunted Library #1)
  • Completely Clementine (Clementine, #7)
Doreen Cronin was a practicing attorney in Manhattan when her first book Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type became a publishing success. But her book was not published overnight, in fact, she had written this barnyard tale even before attending law school but only received rejection letters from publishers. Five years after submitting the original manuscript she got a call from a publisher who want ...more

Chicken Squad (6 books)
  • The First Misadventure (Chicken Squad Misadventure #1)
  • Into the Wild: Yet Another Misadventure (A Chicken Squad Adventure #3)
  • Dark Shadows: Yes, Another Misadventure (Chicken Squad #4)
  • Gimme Shelter: Misadventures and Misinformation (Chicken Squad #5)
  • Bear Country (Chicken Squad #6)