Start by marking “The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken (Chicken Squad Misadventure #2)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken (Chicken Squad Misadventure #2)

The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken

(Chicken Squad #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  647 ratings  ·  104 reviews
The Chicken Squad is back for its second (mis)adventure. Business is booming for Dirt, Sugar, Sweetie, and Poppy. When a weird blue bird flies into Chicken Squad headquarters squawking on about a house-napper (yes, house-napper), it is once again up to the squad to uncover who is up to no good.
Published September 30th 2014 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken (Chicken Squad Misadventure #2)
Laila (BigReadingLife)
My son really likes this series - they're cute and perfect for when your child is ready for chapter books. These little chicks are not very bright!
Becky
First sentence: Dirt. Sugar. Poppy. Sweetie. You lost it. We'll find it.

Premise/plot: Dirt, Sugar, Poppy, and Sweetie are the chicken squad--a team of chicks who solve backyard mysteries for fun. This one features a WEIRD BLUE CHICKEN. A blue bird has come to them for help....

My thoughts: It's a quick read. I did like this one more than the first book in the series. (The Blue Bird aka the "weird blue chicken" isn't all that bright and the running gag through this one is that he mixes up inches
AMY
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades 3-5
Cassie
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So darn funny! We are loving this series!
Nicole
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read with C. Sugar is my favourite. She is so bossy!
Carol Royce Owen
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a funny, silly story that I can see first through third grade students loving. The Chicken Squad is back and poised to help a weird blue chicken (blue jay), but they don't trust him and he doesn't trust them. The bird's problem is that someone has taken over his birdhouse. While investigating the chickens return to their coop to find that there has been another crime - someone is stealing grumpy squirrel's nuts. Can the two crimes be related? In a style of an Abbott and Costello routine, Di ...more
Patrick
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-kid-fiction
Cute follow up to the first book. Great early chapter book...
Lillian
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My 8 year old finished this book in an hour and loved it!
Sheri S.
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
My girls and I listened to the audio version of this story. Maybe I needed to have listened/read the first book to really appreciate this book, but I found it kind of a strange story and not all that entertaining. The Chicken Squad is an odd group of birds who try to solve crimes in their area. In this book, they are attempting to help a blue bird who has a tendency to confuse feet with inches.
Becky
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The chicken squad is on the case when a little bird shows up on their doorstep needing help. Detective Sugar is not sure if she can trust the "weird blue chicken," but she decides the squad will help out. Lots of silliness ensues (my favorite is trying to leave the coop without being followed), and "oh brother," will they ever solve the case?
Anthony
The Chicken Squad is back, this time they're using their skills of crime solving, to help find a missing birdhouse, and discover whose behind the theft of Grumpy Squirrel's acorns. In the process of crime busting, they help teach the difference between feet, and inches, and the importance of fruit in one's diet.
Courtney Umlauf
A cute series for kids reading early chapter books. The silly humor is sure to please.

Series Review | TpT Store | Pinterest
Kathy
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ensemble, school
My students loved this book as a novel study, it is fun and funny. They enjoy doing voices and playing out the story as well as the interactions between characters. I felt that this book wasn't quite as good as the first as the ending was kind of ... wonky. There was not a lot of explanation about what happened with one of the chicken squad characters which I felt was just a bit odd.
Stacey
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun and wacky like the first in the series. My students think they're quite humorous. A recommended read for EAL as the text is minimal (though some more challenging vocabulary for early EAL students) yet the content is not childish. Recommended for students in grades 1-3.
Sarah Rubin
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth-mg, with-j
This book was so much fun - a great read aloud with my son and husband. We all laughed heartily along the way. The characters are well crafted, and the illustrations support them well. I'd recommend and read again!
Darla
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I do love the chicken squad. They each have their own personality and talents. Love to watch them in action and see the farmyard from their point of view. Looking forward to the next adventure of these sassy little birds.
Miles
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Matthew
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved that the weird blue chicken was a blue jay. This series really captures the comic absurdity that its characters represent. It's consistently funny and the madcap mysteries are great fun for readers of any age.
Nick
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The case of the weird blue chicken is a great book you should read it too.
Readergirl77
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nathan loves these books...so much fun. He read them more than once and wants to continue with the series.
Greymalkin
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Very fun! I think I liked the first one a smidge more but it was still very enjoyable.
Katie
Less of the hard-boiled mystery of the first, but still wacky.
Gladinell Fuentes
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My kid and loved it! It was funny and entertaining.
Sharon Schlup
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great series! Kids are sure to enjoy!
Emma
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chapter-books
Dawn
Lots of repetition and lots of silliness. The chickens solve a mystery, but mostly through luck...
Claire Wang
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My favorite part is when Winnie kept on getting mixed up with inches and feet.
Hillary
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Adorable easy chapter book...perfect for a family read aloud. Funny without rude or obnoxious jokes or potty talk.
Cherie Smeltzer
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: swasey-books, grade-2
Silly chicks! Perfect for Grade 2 and fans of Doreen Cronin's picture books.
Jenn M
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
I listened to this book as an audiobook during an automobile trip with the family. I'm not sure if I had a hard time following the story because I was driving during the replay, or because I had not read the first book in the Chicken Squad series. Be that as it may, however, this book is a cute one for younger elementary readers (graded 2 thru 5). My 11-year-old son was not as enthralled as my 9-year-old daughter, but he listened attentively without interrupting for the most part.

The Chicken Squ
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Dory Fantasmagory
  • The Crystal Caverns (The Last Firehawk #2)
  • The Ember Stone (The Last Firehawk, #1)
  • The Whispering Oak (The Last Firehawk #3)
  • Dragons in a Bag (Dragons in a Bag #1)
  • Bird & Squirrel on the Run (Bird & Squirrel, #1)
  • Lullaby Lake (The Last Firehawk #4)
  • The Miniature World of Marvin & James (The Masterpiece Adventures, #1)
  • A New Friend (The Adventures of Sophie Mouse, #1)
  • The Shadowlands (The Last Firehawk #5)
  • Eva's Treetop Festival (Owl Diaries, #1)
  • A Woodland Wedding (Owl Diaries, #3)
  • Captain Awesome VS. Nacho Cheese Man
  • Louise Trapeze Is Totally 100% Fearless (Louise Trapeze, #1)
  • The Battle for Perodia (The Last Firehawk #6)
  • Pug Blasts Off (Diary of a Pug #1)
  • Eva and the New Owl (Owl Diaries, #4)
  • Baxter is Missing (Owl Diaries, #6)
Doreen Cronin was a practicing attorney in Manhattan when her first book Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type became a publishing success. But her book was not published overnight. In fact, she had written this barnyard tale even before attending law school but only received rejection letters from publishers. Five years after submitting the original manuscript she got a call from a publisher who wante ...more

Chicken Squad (6 books)
  • The First Misadventure (Chicken Squad Misadventure #1)
  • Into the Wild: Yet Another Misadventure (A Chicken Squad Adventure #3)
  • Dark Shadows: Yes, Another Misadventure (Chicken Squad #4)
  • Gimme Shelter: Misadventures and Misinformation (Chicken Squad #5)
  • Bear Country (Chicken Squad #6)

News & Interviews