Start by marking “Maid of Deception (Maids of Honor, #2)” as Want to Read:
Maid of Deception (Maids of Honor, #2)

Maid of Deception

(Maids of Honor #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  773 ratings  ·  104 reviews
Beatrice Knowles is a Maid of Honor, one of Queen Elizabeth I’s secret protectors. Known for her uncanny ability to manipulate men’s hearts, Beatrice has proven herself to be a valuable asset in the Queen’s court—or so she thinks. It has been three weeks since the Maids thwarted a plot to overthrow the Queen, and Beatrice is preparing to wed her betrothed, Lord Cavanaugh. ...more
Published September 15th 2015 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published August 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Maid of Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maid of Deception

really liked it 4.00  ·

Farrah
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full of sweet romance, court drama, and buried secrets, Maid of Deception was a brilliant YA read. I loved this book! It was amazing from beginning to end and everything about it was wonderful. Loved this book so much!

This book is the second in the Maids of Honor series, but it can be read as a stand alone, since it focuses on a different character and has a new conflict. So, if you haven't read book 1, don't let that stop you from reading this one.

Beatrice was a wonderful heroine. I have to adm
Jaylia3
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mix of Tudor history, young romance, undercover adventure, and political intrigue make Maid of Deception a fun, light, entertaining YA historical novel. This is the second book in the Maids of Honor series, but since the first features a different girl I had no trouble following the story. There are five teenage Maids of Honor with distinct talents and personalities who serve as personal spies for Queen Elizabeth, and my guess is there will be a book for each one of them.

Beatrice, the Maid
D'Arcy Rowe
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grew up reading romances and love Elizabethan history, so when I read what this book was about I thought it would be a great book to read.

Lady Beatrice is a Maid of Honor to Queen Elizabeth and really dislikes her. This is reciprocated by Elizabeth as well, so the sparring between the two is a lot of fun to watch.

I didn't realize this was number two in a series so will have to now get the first one to read.

I highly recommend this book to young readers. Our 7th graders and 8th graders would lik
Hayley Hall
Jun 06, 2013 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
December 3, 2013:

GIVE ME A COVER ALREADY SUFFERING HERE!!!!

February 13, 2014:

THE COVER!! IT`S HERE!! BREATHE HAYLEY BREATHE!!!!!!!!!I CAN`T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Danya
I really enjoyed this one, more than the first book in the series. I found the protagonist Beatrice to be somehow relatable (despite our personalities being very different) and even though she was often self-sabotaging, I rooted for her to let down her guard and allow herself to feel. We also really got to see the dark, cruel side of Queen Elizabeth here. The plot did feel somewhat repetitive -- how many times did they really need to reiterate that there was a group of Scots that would join the ...more
Richa
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, for-review, edelweiss
Originally posted on City of Books

I loved this one just as much as Maid of Secrets! Though I was initially apprehensive about it since Beatrice is my least favourite of the Maids of Honor, I found myself really liking her as the story progressed. And I'm definitely looking forward to seeing who we get next.

Maid of Deception follows Beatrice Knowles, the manipulative one. Hence the book title. She knows how to use her charms to get men to tell her anything, which is why her skills are so useful a
Small Review
I think I liked that even more than the last one! Full review to come.

Originally posted on Small Review

I guess you'd call this a sequel to Maid of Secrets, but I'd say it's more of a companion novel and either can be read first. Each book in this series focuses on a different maid of honor in Elizabeth I's court, and Maid of Deception follows Beatrice.

Beatrice is, on the surface, the pretty mean girl of the group who uses her good looks and charms to ferret out secrets for the queen. Meg (the m
Allison
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stayed up way too late reading this. Even better than the first! More intrigue!!! More friendship!! More romance!! Now I'm wondering if there will be 5 books and not just 3?? I didn't think about it after the first one, but there are FIVE girls so.... PLEASE!

Didn't like Beatrice much as a secondary character in book 1, but understood and loved her with a narrative of her own here.
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
This was fun, and even better than the series' first novel. Beatrice is a well-crafted and multidimensional character and her hard edges make her even more so. That said, I need a Jane book called Maid of Steel. Gimme.
Sara (Freadom Library)
Actual rating 3.5 stars

This review was originally posted at https://freadomlibrary.wordpress.com/

Critically
Plot – 3 out of 5 stars
This story is full of historical court drama, mystery and espionage. The main character is the master of secrets and being able to use them to her advantage so there’s a lot of political and social action going on. However, it was a bit slow and sometimes it felt boring. It wasn’t as entertaining as the first book and that was disappointing.

Writing Style – 4 out of 5
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Series like Maids of Honor are tricky to get right. With each book, McGowan focuses on a different maid, but the series also has its own overarching story that will need to be carried by each perspective. Embarking on Maid of Deception, I wasn’t sure what I would find, especially since Beatrice was the mean girl of the bunch in Maid of Secrets. She hadn’t been my favorite of the girls, and I was nervous that I wouldn’t like her perspective as much as Meg’s. Maid of Deception proved to be just as ...more
Jenny Q
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazon-vine
3.5 Stars. I really want to love this series. It has such a great premise and such great characters: five special maids-of-honor who serve as spies in Queen Elizabeth I's court while navigating political intrigue and affairs of the heart. But both this book and the first in the series, Maid of Secrets, fell a bit short for me. I like them, but I don't love them, for reasons I'll explain in a bit. But first:

Beatrice is the ice queen of the group, the consummate courtier, the only one actually bor
Page (One Book At A Time)
Picking this one up, I was a little put off that the lead character was Beatrice. She wasn't my favorite person in book 1. But, she surprised me. I ended up liking her by the end.

She seems very bitter for such a young girl, but she's basically been Elizabeth's play thing for a very long time. It seems the Queen gets a particular kick out of manipulating Beatrice's world. Turns out though that Beatrice can make life tough for the Queen as well. She knows a secret that the Queen would rather stay
Jenn
This one made me feel all the feels. I loved reading about Beatrice and I loved her friendship with the rest of the Maids of Honor, the way they took care of each other. I wasn't sure about Alasdair at first (though I'm rereading Maid of Secrets now, so I may change my mind), but I eventually came around to him. He knew how to bring the swoon. I'm looking forward to the next book in this series (I think there will be more) and wonder which of the Maids will be the main character next time around ...more
April
If you have the end of a book series syndrome after reading the Grave Mercy books by Robin LaFevers, you should pick up the Maids Of Honor series by Jennifer McGowan to fulfill that void in your life.
Read the rest of my review here
LadyTechie
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quote awesome book. Review coming closer to release date as I know I will be re-reading this one and the first one!
Jennavier
Feb 16, 2014 marked it as read-sample-and-passed  ·  review of another edition
I have no idea why I picked this up when I didn't like the first one. Carry on!
Melissa Landers
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome! I loved this even more than the first book in the series, and I can't wait for the next!
Shae McDaniel
Originally reviewed at: http://www.shaelit.com/?p=2338

I think Ms. McGowan is trying to kill me. As a woman who writes credibly about a crew of spies in the service of the Crown, I'm certain she knows how to dispatch a blogger in many interesting ways, but I doubt any are so delicious effective as these books. I can't breathe when I read these books. PHYSICALLY. CANNOT. BREATHE. They're so good, so fantastically good, and I don't know that my heart can take another one. (It's a risk I'm willing t
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: The premise behind the Maids of Honor series intrigued me and I’m happy to say that Maid of Deception far exceeded my expectations for a YA Historical Fiction. I don’t hesitate to recommend this story to high-school aged readers but think older booklovers will enjoy its rich imagery and sweet romantic element as well. McGowan’s characters are not as fully developed as I would’ve liked, yet the story easily kept my interest with its interesti
Jules Goud
Well, it took me long enough to read this one.

I have to say, this was the perfect book for me to read now. I just went through a really heartbreaking read so I wanted something light and airy. This fit the bill perfectly.

I just had one big problem. I'm not Beatrice's biggest fan. She was so stubborn. Holy. Shit. There were some points where I was just like come on Beatrice. You have to move past all of this. But, there were times where I thought that she was great. I really loved how quick witt
Gracie Williams
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
McGowan hits it out of the park again. I especially love that she doesn't make Elizabeth a Queen who is nice and fairy tale like. Modern movie adaptions often show Elizabeth to be complex but not necessarily ruthless but the Queen is certainly that and honestly, Beatrice deserves far better. I didn't particularly care for her in book one but she's honestly turned into one of my favorites!
Shanna
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was definitely more of a romance, which is typically right up my alley; however, I found that I enjoyed the 1st book much better. Nothing against Beatrice, but Meg was more relatable. Loved it all the same, Gowan is a master of keeping eyes on her pages.
Yuki kuran
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was one of the most amazing and heart enduring books I've read. It has a lot of twist plots in which the author makes it seem like it will go one way but it goes another way. I can't wait to read the next book of this series.
Kayla
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Loved the first book and the second one did not disappoint!
Beth
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, ya
3.5 stars. I liked it better than the first of the series and will probably read the next next one.
Madison
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If she breathes, she's a th*t
Molli
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awfully good, loved the first book more, but this one was okay.
McKay
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.5 stars
Brandy Painter
Originally posted here at Random Musings of a Bibliophile.

I read and throughly enjoyed Maid of Secrets by Jennifer McGowan a couple weeks ago and immediately checked out Maid of Deception, the second book in the series. I enjoyed this one even more.

Lady Beatrice Knowles has worked hard to reach her wedding day. She serves Elizabeth well even though she doesn't like the queen, and the queen doesn't like her. Beatrice has lived her life playing the games of the court, being a pawn of monarchs, and
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 12, 2015 12:50PM

• Starling (Secrets of the Eternal Rose, #3)
  • Diamonds & Deceit (At Somerton, #2)
  • Redemption (Aurelia, #3)
  • The Sweet Evil Complete Collection: Sweet Evil, Sweet Peril, Sweet Reckoning
  • Dangerous Deceptions (Palace of Spies, #2)
  • A Phantom Enchantment (Unbound, #3)
  • Witchrise (The Tudor Witch Trilogy, #3)
  • The Queen's Lady (The Lacey Chronicles, #2)
  • Empire of Shadows (Bhinian Empire, #2)
  • The Empty Kingdom (The Lion Hunters, #5)
  • Brazen
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • Signed, Skye Harper
  • In Mozart's Shadow: His Sister's Story
  • Yesterday's Hero (Arthur Wallace, #2)
  • Sunset (John Bekker, #1)
  • Born of Deception (Born of Illusion, #2)
  • The Goblin War (Goblin Wood, #3)
Jennifer McGowan writes Young Adult romance full of swash and buckle. Her novels in the Maids of Honor series include MAID OF SECRETS, MAID OF DECEPTION and the upcoming MAID OF WONDER

Maids of Honor (3 books)
  • Maid of Secrets (Maids of Honor, #1)
  • Maid of Wonder (Maids of Honor, #3)