Start by marking “The Buddha Walks into the Office: A Guide to Livelihood for a New Generation” as Want to Read:
The Buddha Walks into the Office: A Guide to Livelihood for a New Generation

The Buddha Walks into the Office: A Guide to Livelihood for a New Generation

From the author of the best-selling Buddha Walks into a Bar . . ., wisdom for Generation Next on how to make your work meaningful, satisfying, and of benefit to others. Does it ever seem that a lot of the people you work with are, well, jerks This book is about how not to let work turn you into one of them. Apply the simple Buddhist teachings and practices Lodro Rinzler ...more
Published September 9th 2014 by Shambhala

Start your review of The Buddha Walks into the Office: A Guide to Livelihood for a New Generation
Gabrielle
My official job title is “executive administrative assistant to the CEO”. Those are fancy words for glorified executive baby-sitter (this entails secretarial work, technological troubleshooting, supplying coffee, water and sandwiches, event planning and keeping tabs on a very busy dude who changes his mind constantly). Don’t get me wrong: I love my boss, he’s a really great and hard-working guy; but we work in the financial services industry (insurance, specifically), so there’s a lot of ...more
Devon
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
As a Buddhism-inclined person and a practicing Vipassana meditator, I understand that the workplace is often the most difficult place to practice all these perfections: patience, openness, compassion, etc. I get it. I've been working for 30 years. Here's where it's not clear for me: I understand that patience with difficult people in the workplace goes a long way to improving the relationships and connecting to humanity. Where does one draw the line between being patient and just deciding to NOT ...more
Denise
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: nonfiction, buddhism
Yes, sometimes people at work are jerks and sometimes we are one of them. Fun & insightful read!
Olivia
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is such a great book. I had heard about his other books (Walk Like a Buddha, The Buddha Walks into a Bar) and just happened upon this one at the library. It took me a really long time to read, possibly because I was reading two self-help-ish books at once which is not how I usually function.

While he does use work life in examples, this pretty much talks about how to bring Buddhist principals and ideas into your everyday life. He starts off early on pointing out that many of us spend at
Mónica
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Lodro clearly knows Buddhism in its different traditions, but I think this book tried to encompass so many teachings that it ended up only glossing over them. For a beginner it would be too vague, for an advanced practitioner too superficial. Nevertheless, I commend the author for writing on spirituality on the workplace, it is still an area that is taboo, it is difficult to apply the teachings in an arena that is highly competitive.
Marissa Pockat
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great read to educate you on different methods to bring your meditation practice into your every day life. Especially into the sometimes challenging work lives we have. Enjoyed this even more than his first book, Buddha Walks Into a Bar.
Erica Char
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I can see how this could be helpful for folks, but the base of the book is real to notbe a jerk. And we go over that point, and how to, quite a lot.
Thymeless
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed it. Would I read it again? Maybe. Would I buy it again if I hadn't yet read it? Yes.
Jimmy
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Too much extra mystical crap compared to the previous books. To be clear, I’m talking about the added mythology, not the actionable Buddhist teachings.
Tony
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've got a lot of work to do...
Bethany Eppig
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for quick techniques to help handle stress at work.
Lucky Christi
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read. Will likely read the other books he has written.
Bookworm
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
A little too general of a guide for me. When I first heard about this book, I thought it was going to be about a how to deal with difficult people at work. Luckily I've never really had to deal with truly awful or mean people for the most part (or at least it was usually limited in contact), but sometimes it can be handy to know how to manage people like this.

Unfortunately, it's not quite what I thought it would be. Instead, it's more of a general guide about how to integrate mindfulness and
Jim
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If Tonianne and I were to just sell our products and not listen to people - we'd have no customers. Our entire way of working is based on deeply listening to what the teams we are working with have to say and then helping them find not only solutions, but solutions that help them learn to solve other things in the future without having to turn to consultants.

This only works by hearing what they are saying and what they wish they could say, then helping them explore the differences.

I like to
Bonnie Samuel
Nov 16, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm not at all a spiritual or religious person, but I had never read a book on Buddhism before so decided to give it a whirl. What I liked about this book is that it teaches you to control your own thoughts and presence to develop a kinder, happier you. It's not about trying to control or judge what anyone else is thinking or saying or doing or changing your behavior to fit a prescribed code of morality. It's strictly about you giving up your neuroses and negative thoughts and becoming the most ...more
Heidi The Reader
Feb 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, buddhism
I liked Lodro's playful and modern approach to such an ancient set of teachings. Unfortunately, I felt that it turned into lists of attributes or practices too often to really be interesting. If he had written most of this a story, rather than resorting to breaking down lists, I would have found this to be more powerful.

However, style aside, there are a lot of solid ideas in this and exercises to help you integrate your meditation practice with your work life. Recommended for readers who are
Steven
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully tightly written book about how to take Buddhist practices and that life into the workplace and really just about anywhere. Rinzler writes with humour but never loses touch with the main goal of explaining the basic nature of Buddhism and it's applications into dealing with people, society and oneself. Although he has written a few books before this, this one is a huge step forward in focus and delivery of his message.
Almi
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
it's good to read something counter-cultural once in a while. having grown in a catholic country, reading up on buddhism refreshes the mind and the same time challenges preconceived notions on life and humanity. a book where 'awake' is a not an adjective but a noun. a book which uplifts faith on everyone's basic goodness. a book with all the purest and sincerest intentions. i will have to lift this book up again for sure.
Thias
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it
While some of the Buddhist principles can be applied to making yourself a better person, which will in turn help you with your career, this book was not deep into helping with your life at work. Many of the examples were overly generic. I also found that the author seemed to repeat his thoughts many times over. The book could have been much shorter if he was more concise. Overall, I found the principles useful but did find some flaws with the way they were presented.
Scott Ford
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Absolutely one of the best books to read to help cope with work! Even if you are not interested in the actual Buddhist practices associated with the author's basic frame of reference, the insight and suggestions on how to get through day-to-day work 'stuffs' is great! A truly helpful piece of work. Highly recommended for anyone and everyone!
Denise Tarasuk
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! This is the best book! The Buddha Walks Into The Office was written just for me. Actually, it is for everyone that works, or has worked. This is a must read and top on my list. Certainly my favorite! Thank you Lodro!
Nathan
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Not as good as the other two books by this author. Some worthwhile suggestions but mostly more of the same from other books. I do enjoy his voice though, and will continue to read any books by him that I come across.
Heather Greist
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some good tips for me
Blake Hall
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great advice for bringing mindfulness off of the cushion and into every day life.

(now, I hope I'm able to be more successful doing so)
Jessica
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and approachable introduction to Shambhala Buddhism from the point of view of our work lives.
Michelle Gartner
Did not finish- just didn't hold my interest.
Warmdarksky
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Hanging on to this one; it's very useful
Benjamin Barby
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lots of interesting and helpful ideas on centering one's life through meditation. Well written. Will read other books of Lodro's. Read it as an eBook, will probably buy the hardcopy.
Alistair
Dec 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Pretty light-on and somewhat unfocused but the sentiment is good. I got something out of it.
Ben Payne
Feb 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Not bad but all fairly standard. Didn't really give me much new. Might be better for someone less familiar with buddhism.

• Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness
  • The Wisdom of a Broken Heart: An Uncommon Guide to Healing, Insight, and Love
  • Conscious: A Brief Guide to the Fundamental Mystery of the Mind
  • Bad Monkey (Andrew Yancy, #1)
  • Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber
  • Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • Mindf*ck: Cambridge Analytica and the Plot to Break America
  • Recipe for a Perfect Wife
  • H3 Leadership: Be Humble. Stay Hungry. Always Hustle.
  • Good Morning, Monster: Five Heroic Journeys to Recovery
  • Star Island (Skink, #6)
  • The 21-Day Sugar Detox: Bust Sugar & Carb Cravings Naturally
  • Hillel: If Not Now, When?
  • Love for Imperfect Things: How to Accept Yourself in a World Striving for Perfection
  • Washington's Spies: The Story of America's First Spy Ring
  • Everyone Communicates, Few Connect: What the Most Effective People Do Differently
Lodro is a practitioner and teacher in the Shambhala Buddhist lineage. He began meditating as a child and sat retreats as a teenager, even going as far as attending a silent month-long retreat during which he shaved his head and took monastic robes and vows.

When he left for college he received two heirlooms from his parents. From his father, a mala which he had used to recite mantras. From his
“If you can smile in the face of uncertainty, you are well trained.” 2 likes
“There is a fine line between being selfish—when your motivation is to do anything possible to make sure you come out on top—and taking care of yourself so you can be of assistance to others. You have to take care of yourself, or you can’t continue to be helpful to others.” 1 likes