Start by marking “Lazarus, Vol. 2: Lift” as Want to Read:
Lazarus, Vol. 2: Lift

Lazarus, Vol. 2: Lift (Lazarus #5-9)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  3,914 Ratings  ·  288 Reviews
While Forever keeps watch on her sister Johanna, she finds hints of rebellion brewing in LA.

At the same time, the Barrets, a family of "Waste," lose their home and land, and must pursue their only chance for a better life - a 500-mile journey to Denver in the hope that one of their family will be noticed by the Carlyles and "lifted" to Serf status.

Collecting LAZARUS #5-9
Published June 24th 2014 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Lazarus, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lazarus, Vol. 2

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
My name is Sarah and I am naught but a harebrained nitwit. Why? Because I almost gave up on this most wondrous series after reading this instalment. I thought it was disappointing. And kinda sorta meh. And kinda sorta boring. So I wasn't exactly excited and enthusiastic and thrilled at the prospect of reading the next volume in the series.

Yep, that's right. I'm a complete and total simpletonish lamebrain. Because had I given up on this most astounding series, I wouldn't have read Conclave. And C
Sam Quixote
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Hundreds of thousands flock to Denver for the “Lift”, aka the job interview from hell, where “Waste” (people who live under the Families’ rule but are unemployed) get the chance to be “Serfs” (receive jobs and in return get a better way of life for them and theirs). Meanwhile, there’s a threat against the Carlyle family that Forever must neutralise, and we’re introduced to the Barrets, a “Waste” family, who lose their home and make the journey to Denver to try and become “Serfs”.

Lazarus Volume 2
Jan Philipzig
In Lazarus Vol.2: Lift, Rucka and Lark gradually broaden the story's scope. While the first volume's focus on the intrigant upper crust sometimes felt like watching Dallas or Dynasty (not an experience I am keen on), this second volume starts to explore life outside the family's guarded walls - a world defined by poverty, desperation, crime, corruption, and guerrilla activity. Nothing terribly original or surprising, but Rucka and Lark get the details right, and the result is a slow-burning, sty ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Fantastic! WOW! We get background on Forever, but also we see how life is for non-family - for non-serf. The waste that populate most of the planet.

Full Review:

Now that we're moving into volume 2, Rucka and gang open up the story with several storylines. In the first, we see Forever training as a child, how desperately she wants the love and affection of her father and how far she will go to get that affection. The second and third stories are "main timeline" - Forever tries to sus
Mike
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another great Buddyread with my amazing Shallow Comics Readers for Indie week!

My God is Forever ("Eve") a hard, cold person. Raised as she was, ever at arms' length, and constantly trained in death, tactics and diplomacy, it's no wonder - but still, man did it produce results. I'm a pretty odd duck, and I was raised pretty well all things considered. If I'd been raised like that, I think I'd be a ravaging baboon with a fixation on pleasuring myself with my own weapons.

And sunuvabitching, they b
Sesana
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, dystopian
Every bit as fascinating as the first volume. This volume gives more insight into the world of Lazarus, and gives a very welcome look at the "Waste" classes. I felt like there was more plot momentum and less exposition in this volume, and I'm feeling more and more comfortable in the world that Rucka is building here. I also love that this is a single, complete story, without wrapping up every single loose end in the story. I'd say that there's even more interesting things ahead for this series.
David Schaafsma
The first volume focused mainly on the Carlyles, one of the 1%er families that now rule the world, replacing nation states. And we met the Carlyle Lazarus, Forever, who is a kind of Ronin-type super-protector who has not yet learned she is biologically engineered. In this volume, she learns this, as a move within her family to break it up, maybe. We don't know what she will do with this information yet, actually.

The main focus of this volume is a couple different dimension of the waste, all the
Kaitlin
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a volume that I was very excited to get to because I only very recently picked up Volume 1 and was blown away by how much I ended up enjoying the concept of this world and the character of Forever. In this book we get introduced to a few more of the characters such as the 'Barrets'. I have to say that this book was very captivating and I found myself wanting to pick it up as soon as I could to read and enjoy it because I was so sure it would be wonderful, and it didn't disappoint.

In this
GrilledCheeseSamurai
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, image

This volume takes a nice close look at a part of this world that I was very interested in seeing.

The Waste.

The waste are the peoples of this world that aren't currently employed as 'serfs' for any of the families. I was intrigued by the social hierarchy in the first volume and was hoping that I could get a closer look at how things worked. Volume 2 delivers that in spades.

While this trade was a little less action packed than the first I still enjoyed it quite a bit.

Onward and upwards.

Ran
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
The premise is still a class-stratified world: a small cohort of very wealthy families run the world. All others are either serf or waste peoples. The Carlyle Lazarus is discovering all is not as it appears on the surface with her family or the world while Rucka introduces a Waste family onto the scene, devastated by flood and death, to even out the perspective. I can’t unsee Anne’s LEGO click-on hair comment when looking at Forever (or Marisol) so I think the art is pretty much ruined for me.
Gavin
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Really picked up for me when we met the family from the Wastes. I didn't really care about the Carlyle family at all. Forever is interesting enough, seeing her value of life that she has, in flashback and in limiting the violence at a border incident. We also see another flash of humanity when she feels remorse for the terrorists or freedom fighters after their interrogation and they're broken.

I'm more interested in the tale of people who aren't even considered serfs, but wastes. A normal family
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I had trouble rating this because it lacks the impact of the first volume. Forever seems to get lost in the shuffle, and she was less defined as a character. Although I felt the flashbacks give more insight into Forever's relationship with her 'father.' The new storyline about the Barrett family, who have to leave their homestead and travel to the city was interesting, but also sad. At first I didn't get how it tied into the main story, but their paths intersect with Forever in a very pivotal wa ...more
Olivia
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Power is not a means, it is an end. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture."

You know how I said the problem I had with the first Volume was that it was too short and you don't get enough of a clearly interesting story in development? This book again is too short but it's like eating concentrated cherry juice with some gut punches that make your heart ache. Definitely a lot more plot/character development.

And don't let "strong female characters" fool you -- th
James DeSantis
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm really getting in to this world. I understand this might be a slow burner for some. It's a lot of world building, and that continues here. I love Forever, and yes she's somewhat emotionless but not completely and that makes her interesting. I've always had a soft spot for Terminator like characters with emotion and motives yet still robotic.

This volume basically goes back and forth with forever as a kid and now. I really loved the past, and it helps us care a lot more about the character. I
RedL.
3/4 Bloody sad stars

Less gripping that the first collection, slower in pace, predictable at moments, but sadder and bloodier at the same time. There's more world-building from the side of the Waste population, more past and emotional background for our Lazarus, more scruples and social commentary.
I certainly want to read more.
Rebecca
I don't care for the new characters and I preferred the first volume, but I loved the development of Ever's characters and her flashbacks.
Roy
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was great. The world building is where its at with this one. Its still a relatively slow build but its worth your investment. The artwork is great but at times the plot didnt really introduce characters so it was at times hard to distinguish.
Melissa
I am really, really excited to see where this series goes. I liked this a lot better than the first volume. There's a lot of great expansion on the world (I cannot wait to see what apocalyptically-tinged event is responsible for the whole Family/serf/waste division), a well-rounded bunch of new characters, no incest, and wow, I absolutely adore Forever even more than I did. Another of those books that I think fail only because they're just not long enough.
David Dalton
Where was I when this series first came out? Must been off planet or something. What a great series. Reminds me a lot of the TV series: Into the Badlands. Dark future and such. Forever is one kick butt enforcer/commander also known as the Lazarus of her family. But she was created, not natural born. Sooner or later she will get hip to all that. Read the first two volumes (covering 9 issues) via my digital library. Now I am searching thru Amazon and will certainly pick up Volumes 3 and 4 now, and ...more
Craig
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An excellent series continues to maintain its strengths and build its believable future world. Rucka's future is one of the more believable I've read, especially if current trends regarding the 1% vs. the 99% continue to hold true. In this future, the world has been parceled out to a variety of "families," large corporations that have taken on the responsibilities of government, etc. People are divided into two categories: "serfs" (those who serve the family and in return get some basic protecti ...more
J.M. Hushour
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Damn if this isn't a ridiculously good comic. It just gets better and better. The Carlyle family Lazarus (a sort of retainer/assassin/bodyguard who can't die), Forever Carlyle, learns of conspiracies against her family. Terrorists! Bombs! The plight of the Waste, the majority of the population!
Volume 2 digs into the rest of the world a little. We're introduced to a family whose farm gets destroyed and who heads out to dystopian Denver for Lift, the day when the talented and worthy can apply for
Ignacio
Presentado el mundo y los dos grandes misterios detrás de la historia, se inicia el desarrollo del protagonista y del escenario, y se introducen secundarios. Mientras la trama principal entra en pausa. Rucka muestra su habitual control en el flujo del relato y hace lo suficiente para mantener el interés, pero me parece tan previsible... Lark, también en su estilo, me resulta mucho más atractivo.
Joshua
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lazarus is becoming a fascinating series to read , largely because it is beautiful balance between speculation, history, economics, and human nature. Greg Rucka in this second volume offers up not just a great continuation of what at first appears to be a spy-operative sci-fi graphic novel, but an interesting examination of a culture where government has been replaced with a pseudo-corporate-monarchy which has created a new feudal society.

This second volume further explores the life of Forever C
Bram Ryckaert
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
We learn more about Forever's backstory, and zoom in on a family in the Waste (a great term of endearment for the general population in the world of Lazarus).

The family's story thread gets connected to the bigger picture in a natural way, and through the story we once again learn about this dystopian world by showing, and not so much by telling. This is what I love about this series: it's a very light read with little to no exposition, but you learn much from the world (in this arc the 'Lift' co
Chad
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just another example of why Image is where all the best comics are published today. (My 90's self never would have thought I'd ever be saying that.) Great art by Michael Lark. Yet another great story by Greg Rucka. This man can do no wrong.

The story follows Forever Carlyle, the youngest daughter in a family who controls the western half of the U.S. They've ground everyone else under their heels and people are barely surviving as serfs for the family. Forever is slowly discovering the underside o
Anton
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This series is one of the freshest Dystopian/Science Fiction works in quite some time. Greg Rucka not only crafted a fine political thriller, with complex characters, but a social vision--of a potential near future where the rich people are augmented with cybernetic technology and where the poor normal humans are ripe for slavery. Highly recommend this series, and I am so happy it is being optioned for a TV series!
TJ Shelby
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great follow up after the strong intro arc. Excited to see where this goes.
Emily
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the second even more than the first-good backstory for Forever, and the side plot with the family headed to the Lift was really compelling.
Alan
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
What is grabbing me, and keeping me, in this series so far is the world building being done by Rucka and Lark. And, they are not sacrificing characterization at the same (which some creators might do). The reader gets some insight into how Forever was raised, and how the lies she was told as a child might come back and bite Carlyle in the rear (and soon).

While small text pieces add depth to the world run by the Families and Macao Accords, the reader gets a view at "normal" people. Those who wan
Gina
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really keeps the action moving, despite going back and forth between multiple timelines, locations, and characters.

It is an ugly world out there, and feeling more prophetic all the time, but there are people out there who keep you hoping.

And as terrible as Johanna has been, there is still a part of me that wonders if there is hope for her too.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #104 Lazarus vol 2: Lift by Greg Rucka 1 1 Aug 07, 2016 04:51PM
  • Velvet, Vol. 2: The Secret Lives of Dead Men (Velvet, #2)
  • East of West, Vol. 3: There Is No Us
  • Letter 44, Volume 1: Escape Velocity
  • The Massive, Vol. 3: Longship
  • Copperhead, Vol. 1: A New Sheriff in Town
  • Revival, Vol. 4: Escape to Wisconsin
  • MIND MGMT, Volume Two: The Futurist
  • Injection, Vol. 1 (Injection, #1)
  • Low, Vol. 2: Before the Dawn Burns Us
  • Southern Bastards, Vol. 2: Gridiron
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.
More about Greg Rucka

Lazarus (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Lazarus, Vol. 1: Family
  • Lazarus #4
  • Lazarus #5
  • Lazarus #6

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1)
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)