Start by marking “In Odd We Trust (Odd thomas Graphic Novel, #1)” as Want to Read:
In Odd We Trust (Odd thomas Graphic Novel, #1)

In Odd We Trust

(Odd Thomas Graphic Novel #1)

“Meet a young man named Odd . . . who helps the dead get even."

From the infinite imagination of #1 New York Times bestselling author Dean Koontz comes the suspenseful graphic-novel debut of a natural-born hero with a supernatural twist.

Odd Thomas is a regular nineteen-year-old with an unusual gift: the ability to see the lingering spirits of the dead. To Odd, it’s not such
Published June 24th 2008 by Del Rey

Start your review of In Odd We Trust (Odd thomas Graphic Novel, #1)
Matthew
In working my way through the Odd series, I discovered that there are 3 graphic novels right in the middle. I decided to check these out between Odd Hours and Odd Interlude. When I first picked up In Odd We Trust, I was surprised to find not the traditional graphic novel, but a Manga-style book.

The comics are prequels to the series. However, I think reading these after knowing the events of the first few books (publication order) adds to the experience by adding points of referrence. In fact, I
Nate
Oct 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
I liked Odd Thomas #1, had mixed but mostly positive feelings about the others, and am a fan of graphic novels, so I thought this would be at least decent. So wrong. Unnatural dialogue, lazy plot, stupid and unbelievable character reactions and attitudes.

I'll change some plot details slightly to avoid anything beyond mild spoilers.

1) Let's say there's a teenaged character whose father comes home. The father says, "Hey, how was your day?" The teenager responds, "Hello father. I had a satisfying
Theresa
Apr 25, 2009 rated it liked it
This one was a let down because I was expecting so much more.

First, I was expecting nice glossy pages with color not a smaller than trade paperback sized book with regular paper pages and all black and white graphics.

Second, I was expecting a more complex story not just Odd Thomas, local cook who also sees ghosts, helping the police solve a crime. This could have been more complex but it the telling of the story both in narrative and in graphics was very simplistic.

Third, it being Dean Koontz,
Valerie
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: male-protagonist
This is my second attempt at Koontz or third, I can't be sure. This one reminded me a little of the first I'd read. It had a regular guy who didn't want to be famous, doesn't want to live in a big city, or anything but possesses a gift. In this case he can see ghosts. There is a girl, she's pretty and tough. They been together for a few years I think. The only reason they haven't gotten married is because something in Stormy's past still prevents her.

The illustrations surprised me because it loo
Trisha
Jul 02, 2008 rated it liked it
This was my first trip into the world of graphic novels. Having already been in love with the Odd Thomas series for a few years, it was a good place to start.

My favorite part of the whole book was being able to put faces to the characters and also getting a glimpse of the world of Pico Mundo, California where Odd and Stormy live. What took some getting used to was the simplicity of the writing and the over-the-top drama that's added to the dialogue. Keeping in mind that graphic novels are basica
Cristi-Lael
Aug 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Nope, didn't enjoy this at all. The art was good, but the story and dialogue were fairly lame. I haven't ever read any Dean Koontz novels before, and I have to say that this does not give me the desire to do so.
Raelynn
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I wanted to give this 4 stars but I was definitely let down. I expected more from Koontz the "NY times multi best selling author". More mystery, more drama, more detail. He can write some pretty great 400+ page novels so what the heck happened here?
Jonathan Echevarria
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was nice to read this book after reading the first Odd Thomas novel. This is another prequel story taking place before the first novel. Even though people could technically read this before reading the main novels, if you happen to skip over it you aren’t missing out on a whole bunch. One or two scenes briefly mentioned in the first main novel is shown here however. (Is was a nice treat for people who have read the novels.)

I would say that it is nice to see how the author struggled to descri
Jen
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ps-2019, aty-2019
Standard Odd Thomas with all the characters we know and love from the book series. Nice little story of good beats bad (mostly) with some help from the ghost of Elvis and a small boy.
Interesting to see the faces Koontz allowed for his characters and how they match to the ones I imagined.
Rob
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved that this was not just a rewrite of the other books but seemed more like a prequel, Though I prefer computer colored graphics this was still very well done, This was a Good Read.
Suzanne
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a quick, fun read. Koontz's story fit seamlessly into Odd's universe, and Chan's illustrations were spot on. Odd and Stormy came out looking just as I imagined, and I enjoyed seeing her sketching process in the back. I'm eager to read the rest.
Cyber Bocchi
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book on goodreads is another that has an insane amount of troll negative reviews, this graphic novel, given its my first, was phenomenal. It was a quick read but it kept interest and made me want to read more of Dean Koontz's Odd thomas novels. Def a 5/5 and If you like supernatural type books and mysteries, I'd def check this out even if its your first graphic novel, def worth the time and money!
Nicholas Jobe
Aug 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
I’m not too sure what to say about this one. As I stated previously, Odd Thomas is a brilliant book, and one of my favorites. It’s had some good-but-not-as-good-as-the- original sequels. But now it’s traveled into new territory: the graphic novel. In Odd We Trust is a prequel to the first book, and fits into the same level as the sequels (not quite as good as the first).

The story here is that Odd Thomas, a young fry cook who can see the dead (though they don’t speak), who tries to help them eith
JG (Introverted Reader)
In the small town of Pico Mundo, an unassuming fry cook by the outlandish name of Odd Thomas has a special ability; he can see the dead. They can't speak to him but they have their own ways of communicating. After the murder of a small boy, Odd sees his spirit wandering around. It's obvious the boy wants justice. His nanny, an old friend of Odd's girlfriend Stormy, is worried that the killer might be targeting her other charge, a young girl. Odd and Stormy vow to do what they can to help protect ...more
Cathy
Feb 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I am not familiar with Dean Koontz, although I know the name and I know that some of my students have read things from this author, but when I saw another main stream author with a graphic novel, I figured now was a good time to check him out. (Other authors adapting a familiar character/series to graphic stylings: D.J. MacHale - The Merchant of Death: Pendragon Graphic Novel; Neil Gaiman - Coraline; Stephen King Gunslinger: The Dark Tower; Erin Hunter Warriors series).

This book introduced me to
Sofie Buynak-Casassa
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gee-1-12
"In Odd we Trust" we meet eighteen year old Odd. He works at a dinner and is known for his awesome ability for making pancakes and his gift of talking to dead people. Actually he can only see them since spirits can't talk. The town sheriff tends to talk to him about his murder cases and Odd usually communicates with the dead victims to catch the guilty party. Catching the murderer sets the spirits at peace and they are able to cross over. Odd is dating an Orphan named Stormy, who he has been dat ...more
Desiree Brunelle
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
in odd we trust is about a guy " my name is Odd Thomas, and i see dead people" who also is a great fry cook that makes amazing pancakes in a dinner run by a women named terry who is very nice. the whole story is about a boy named joey who is stabbed to death by a stalker who leaves unmarked letters cut out with magazine letters. Odd's friend stormy is the one who keeps getting the letters because she is the one who is a baby sister for multiple kids. Odd, Stormy (odds girlfriend), Sherry (stormy ...more
Tim
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
I have read the first two Odd Thomas books, the first of which was intriguing and entertaining, and the second of which was quite disappointing. Nonetheless, I have the next two novels and will rad them. Picked this up at a used bookstore, and thought "Huh! Graphic novel!" So off I went to read it, which is set in the time before the end of the first novel (you'll see why), and entails finding the murderer of a young boy who enlists Odd's aid; the revelation of the murderer, his motive and the d ...more
Gareth Otton
Feb 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
I don't really have much good to say about this graphic novel.

I have recently read the first two books in the Odd Thomas series and the characters in this graphic novel share the names but nothing else. At no point did I feel as though this was an Odd Thomas story but instead it felt like some lame fan-fiction.

The characters were so far removed from their novel counterparts that Odd was barely more than a boy who walked from scene to scene just to tie the story together and for some reason Sto
Matt R.
Jan 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: dean-koontz
This was my first graphic novel. Dean Koontz is one of my favorite authors which is the reason I decided to give a graphic novel a try. The story is decent but I prefer novels over comics. I enjoyed comics when I was younger but graphic novels are just not as interesting to me as a good novel. I know some would argue that a graphic novel is not a comic, but I don't see it. To me, the only difference is that a graphic novel has a bigger price tag. Glad I borrowed this one from the library. 3 star ...more
Christine
Jul 25, 2010 rated it did not like it
It was awful. I cannot believe I wasted an evening reading this graphic novel. The language was stiff and not what you come to expect from Dean Koontz. I am not sure who the target audience was for this but I felt the novel was dumbed down to the point of being unrecognizable. I will stick to Koontz's novels from now on!
Nancy Reynolds
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love Odd Thomas books, so I thought that I would give this one a try. It's not the format that I am used to reading, but since my daughter is always buying these graphic novels, I thought I would give this one a try. I am glad I did. I really enjoyed the format and it was a nice change of pace from reading my usual novels.
Karen B.
Mar 24, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016, odd
Big disappointment! Too much info left out to flow smoothly. Although I like graphic novels this one did not do justice to the regular Odd Thomas novels I have read. The artwork, other than Stormy's portrayal was poor. Odd looks like his head is on backwards. The dialogue is stilted. Most of all it cost way too much money!
Lori
May 20, 2009 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-not-yet-read
A gift from a fellow goodreader (Thanks Mandy!)
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
I thought it was fun. (view spoiler) ...more
April
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
A quick enjoyable read.
Leila Anani
I'm a big fan of Odd Thomas and a big fan of manga so I thought I'd give this three volume graphic novel series a go between Odd Hours and Odd Interlude.

These are set BEFORE Odd Thomas and are adventures of teen Odd with his kick-ass G/F slash side-kick Stormy. In this one Stormy's friend, a nanny, had been getting stalker letters for months before the little boy she looks after was stabbed. The boy's ghost finds Odd who has to track down his killer.

So this is like Odd lite - obviously aimed at
Velvetea
You know.....

Having read and loved the first Odd Thomas book on a nearly spiritual level, this illustrated episode is just not as I imagined his world. The writing still has the same feel, but I found its representation a tad young; the almost-anime art style distracting in un-desertlike surroundings. Dean Koontz mentions at the end that after years of trying, he simply can't envision a face for Odd and I admire that. I have to treat the graphic novel-version as a completely separate from the bo
Michelle
May 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I like the Odd Thomas character and when I saw this graphic novel was intrigued to see how they approached the story. While it gave a different perspective of the series I did not enjoy the magna influenced illustrations and thought the dialogue could have been stronger. The visual representations of Odd and Stormy and glimpses into their relationship were good but I prefer the novels and the movie. I understand Dean Koontz's interest in experimenting with different story telling formats and loo ...more
Brandon Leatherman
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
I hate Manga. Hate it hate it. But I just finished the Odd Thomas series, and I enjoyed it, so I thought I'd give Koontz's venture into the genre a try.

So now, after this book, I still hate Manga AND I have a lower opinion of Koontz and the Odd Thomas series than I had 24 hours ago. The dialogue was pretty rough, and the characters look about half drawn. And Elvis in the book looks nothing like Elvis in real life. The only thing saving it from getting only one star is that the story fits in pret
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Happily Ever After & Everything In Between
  • Into the Garden (Wildflowers, #5)
  • Cold As Death
  • Sacrifice (DS Heckenburg, #2)
  • The World's Most Fantastic Freaks (World's Greatest)
  • Pellucidar (Pellucidar, #2)
  • The Fugitive from Corinth (The Roman Mysteries, #10)
  • The Killing Club (DS Heckenburg, #3)
  • Firefly: The Ghost Machine
  • Blood Follows (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #1)
  • Holiday Greetings from Sugar and Booze
  • Relentless
  • The Girl Who Owned a City: The Graphic Novel
  • Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules, #1)
  • A Death at Eastwick (The Eastwick Mansion Mysteries, #1)
  • Don't Swap Your Sweater for a Dog (Roscoe Riley Rules, #3)
  • Never Swipe a Bully's Bear (Roscoe Riley Rules, #2)
  • Gwendy's Magic Feather (The Button Box, #2)

Dean, the author of many #1 New York Times bes

Odd Thomas Graphic Novel (3 books)
  • Odd Is on Our Side (Odd thomas Graphic Novel, #2)
  • House of Odd (Odd Thomas Graphic Novel, #3)