Start by marking “Lincoln and the Tools of War” as Want to Read:
Lincoln and the Tools of War

Lincoln and the Tools of War

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  11 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Bruce chronicles President Lincoln's struggle against bureaucratic red tape and his dealings with the colorful parade of inventors, ordnance experts, bureaucrats, military officers, and lobbyists who heralded a new era in warfare.
Published October 1st 1989 by University of Illinois Press (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Lincoln and the Tools of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lincoln and the Tools of War

Chris
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was ok

Finally finished this sucker. It took me several months and only on a plane ride where I skimmed it did I finish. Too many names, too many details and no consistent story line made it a very dated and tough read. In Lauren Hillenbrand's hands, I believe that this book could have been a bestseller because it has enough interesting content to be so. I did find it troublesome that the war could have been over so much sooner with a different ordinance officer to stay nothing of the generals...
Hartley
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any civil war table
Really the best book I read about the workings in Washington during the war and Lincoln's involvement. Here in my little town, we contracted to make Springfield 1861. The owners of the factory fleeced the government until Cameron was thrown out.
Florrie
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fine read. Jocularly told yet packed with information. I probably won't remember a single detail, but no matter. I got the gist well enough.
Sandra