Start by marking “Eye” as Want to Read:
Eye

Eye

The only collection of the best stories of Frank Herbert, Award Winning suthor of the legendary Dune saga! Eye features the startlingly original collaboration The Road To Dune a walking tour of Arakeen narrated by Frank Herbert and illustrated by acclaimed British artist Jim Burns. Also included is an introduction by Herbert describing his personal feelings about the filmi ...more
Published October 30th 2001 by I Books (first published November 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eye

Start your review of Eye
Violet
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Frank Herbert writing talent shines like supernova and even the shortest, just several pages long (or 12 minutes long in audio version) novella or longer short stories creates whole worlds. Fantastic talent indeed.
My favorite?
ALL OF THEM.
Lois
Interesting. My favorite part of this book of short stories is the introduction. The introduction is mostly focused on the movie version of Dune. I'm not a huge fan of the movie. In fact I did not read the novel until university primarily because of the movie. A friend of mine advised me to read the novel and wow was I surprised. Still I found the introduction significant. For many reasons. One he kind of explains what his purpose was in creating Paul and the storyline of the original novel. Als ...more
Erik
May 12, 2013 rated it liked it
I must say I enjoyed this added reading a great deal more. Perhaps the many years passing have given me new insights into Herbert's visions as he wrote these short stories. Hard for me to say, though I think I'd probably credit my life experiences and broader samplings of literature.

There is some very good reading here, if you like Herbert. I'm inclined to bump this up a star, but will leave my original rating to be fair to the other authors I've only read once.
Kelly Flanagan
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this is an awesome collection of some of Frank Herbert's best short stories. It also includes some beautiful drawings to go along with them as well as a short oral walking tour of Araknas(sp?) worth reading at least twice!
Bria
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Definitely a scraping of whatever Herbert was lying around not yet published, although I suppose I more or less enjoyed it.
Jonathan
Dec 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Frank Herbert, sci-fi, short stories
Recommended to Jonathan by: Bob S.
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Anyone who’s even dipped a toe in the immense waters of science fiction literature is no doubt aware of Frank Herbert’s seminal masterpiece Dune. Those who have read the book will have recognized the theme of ecological conservation central to the plight of the Fremen (David Lynch’s film, while lovingly rendered and massively entertaining, does little justice to this aspect of the novel). The reciprocal shaping of each other by sentients and their environment is also a major thread throughout m ...more
Simon
Jul 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Well this was pretty much a waste of time. I expected more from the author of Dune. Many of the stories are either pointless, fizzling out without a proper ending, or are needlessly complicated to the point of being incomprehensible (can anyone explain to me what happens in The Tactful Saboteur?). Things pick up a little towards the end, and there are interesting tales of ego parasites and ecology, but it was a struggle to get there.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
I liked most of the stories in here. A couple were rather meh to me, but overall this is a pretty solid collection of Herbert's short stories. I just wish that the Dune story had been longer, as I had honestly thought that there would be more Dune in this book. Nonetheless, if you're a Frank Herbert fan, pick up this book.
Jeff
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked a couple of the stories, and really enjoyed Road to Dune, but I don't feel like short stories do Herbert's approach justice. He's a deep thinker and it takes time to build his visions. I found in some of these shorts that the ending could be abrupt or overall come across as incomplete.
6/10
James Morrison
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
A few of the stories here were good, but frankly I expected more from this author. He seemed to let his imagination run wild and while that is a wonderful thing in science fiction, there should also be a respectable store that goes along with the fantasy otherwise it just seems unbelievable. When the personalities don't make sense creditability lacks and that turns me off.
Campbell
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Dune, Herbert is great at transporting you to a wild world.

Like ‘Consider the Lobster’ however, I felt like I had a particular thing with the author in his novel, maybe I didn’t need all his digest material.
Roger Boyes
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some great stories in this collection.
Traummachine
Mar 30, 2012 rated it liked it
This was an odd short story collection by Herbert; odd because I only read 9 out of 13 stories. One story that sounded interesting was later expanded into a novel, so I'll save that one. Another story was actually a Dune travelogue which I'd rather read when I'm deep into that series. The last two I skipped were the beginnings of his ConSentiency series...so they'll likely be the next things of his I read to kick off that series. :-)

But, the stories I read were good. He was able to portray quite
Steve
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
I got this book to read the short stories "A Matter of Traces" (cute, but I didn't get it) and "The Tactful Saboteur" (cool, espionage-like story with alien cultures) as they were the first appearance of Jorj X. Mckie, the Consentiency, and the Bureau of Sabotage. I found myself not enjoying any of the stories in this collection save one, "Murder Will In". I found out later that this story originally appeared in a collection with a very interesting premise: five sci-fi authors were given a promp ...more
Rob
...All in all quite a few ups and downs in this collection. I suppose The Tactical Saboteur was the highlight for me but Try to Remember, Seed Stock and Passage for Piano are also strong stories. On the other hand there are quite a few stories that are not all that great. If you are familiar with Herbert's work you will enjoy this collection for the way he tries out various concepts and themes he uses in his novels. In general though, I think he needs a little more space than a short story offer ...more
Rusty
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
If you are a fan of this author or the Dune series, you will enjoy this collection of short stories. Yes, my favorite is 'The Road To Dune' which is describes as "a walking tour of Arakeen narrated by Frank Herbert and illustrated by acclaimed British artist Jim Burns". The illustrations captured the essence of it all and brought back so many memories. Of course, I read all of them and couldn't wait to see the movie, Dune. It was every bit as memorable as the book.

Some of my favorite stories fro
Dave  Johnson
Jan 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
really cool book compiled of short stories by Herbert. there is a cool one called "road to dune" which is a tour of arrakeen, complete with pictures and even a tour guide. the other great story is the one with Jorg X Mckie which is sort of the first story to Whipping Star and Dosadi Experiment. it was very good. lots of cool pictures throughout the book. i dont normally like short story books, but it was pretty cool.
Noah Hallett
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think Frank Herbert is was a genius. Dune is my favorite book of all time, I have three copies that have nearly been destroyed by so many repeated readings.

This is a collection of short stories in a similar style, tackling similar issues. A couple of them are truly excellent, a few are very good, and one or two are just ok.

I definitely recommend this to any fan of short stories, and especially science fiction fans.
Andrew
Jan 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was set as a showcase of Frank Herberts work, but really its more a show of the range of great stories all the way to the totally incomprehensible. Do not be fooled by thinking it has anything really to contribute to the world of DUNE - the story is little more than a tour guide to what you already would know.
Will Caverly
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Not going to lie: I knew this was a Herbert book, but I bought it for the cover.

There's some great stories in here, and some snorers.

Seed Stock hit home for me because of my gardening, and it's allegedly his favorite story.
The Dragon in the Sea, I just learned, was made into a book, awesome.

Some really great, imaginative stories in here. Good speculative fiction.
Erik Graff
Oct 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Herbert fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
This book mostly contains a representative sampling of stories previously published by Herbert. There are a few exceptions detailed in the appended description. I was personally most interested in his remarks about the David Lynch film version of Dune.
Zachary Stewart
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was really good. In all, better writing than any of his novels that I've read other than Dune. I think the short story format forces him to think small and complete. Little idea trails don't go off everywhere and complicate things too much. Read it if you can track it down.
Ethan I. Solomon
May 06, 2012 rated it liked it
If you are a big Frank Herbert fan and setting out to read all of his books, definitely check this one out. Otherwise you might just want to skip it and stick to the Dune books and his few other more popular novels. These short stories are of decent quality but none of them stood out to much.
Devy
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
let me be honest...I love just about everything I've read by Frank Herbert. this collection of short stories is no different, and I'm positive that just about any of these stories would have made excellent full novels. even the very odd "Death Of A City".
excellent short science fiction.
Justin
Aug 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Dune
An awesome extension to the original Dune book. Complete with illustrations to bring to life Herbert's vision of Arrakis.
waynedpj
a nice alternative view of Frank Herbert, with some interesting pictures as well. worth the read.
Josh Snowden
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
every story is superbly unique. favorites were 'passage for piano' and 'the tactful saboteur'. and.. i spilled candlewax onto my keyboard.
SandChigger
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Pretty good.

The most interesting aspect of these stories for me was the appearance of ideas and objects familiar from Herbert's Dune books.

(May add notes for individual stories later.)
Andre
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book surprised me. I had no idea it existed. The stories deepened my understanding of the "Dune" universe and the way the series was written.
Grudersyahoo.com
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best collections of short stories I have ever read!

My favorite stories are: "Try to Remember," and "The Tactful Saboteur."

• House Atreides (Prelude to Dune #1)
  • House Harkonnen (Prelude to Dune #2)
  • House Corrino (Prelude to Dune #3)
  • Lord of Light
  • Hunters of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #7)
  • Coffey's Hands
  • Doctor Who: Downtime
  • Doctor Who: The Empire of Glass
  • The Mouse on the Mile (The Green Mile #2)
  • Ruins
  • Decalog 3: Consequences (Doctor Who)
  • Conan and the Spider God (Book 18)
  • Wolverine: Old Man Logan
  • The Difference Engine
  • Ideal War
  • Doctor Who: Birthright
  • Knights of the Morningstar: Quantum Leap
  • Cat Crimes 1
Frank Herbert was a critically acclaimed and commercially successful American science fiction author.

He is best known for the novel Dune and its five sequels. The Dune saga, set in the distant future and taking place over millennia, dealt with themes such as human survival and evolution, ecology, and the intersection of religion, politics, and power, and is widely considered to be among the classi