Start by marking “Home at Last: Sofia's Immigrant Diary (My America, #2)” as Want to Read:
Home at Last: Sofia's Immigrant Diary (My America, #2)

Home at Last: Sofia's Immigrant Diary (Sofia's Immigrant Diary #2)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  151 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Kathryn Lasky brings readers the second installment of Sofia's Ellis Island Diary, depicting Sofia's move to the North End of Boston and her first steps as a new American.

After her dramatic release from quarantine and reunion with her family, Sofia moves to the North End of Boston, where the Monaris start their new lives in their new country. While her parents struggle to
Published November 1st 2003 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Home at Last, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home at Last

Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written for elementary readers (girls especially since the protagonist is a young girl), Katherine Lasky has created a historical fiction story which will brab a young girl's heart. It is written in the format of diary entries about a young immigrant who could speak no English when she arrived. Her diary entries kept my attention to the end of this short novel. This is a series book, and not the first one. It is the second in this "My America series. Even though I have not read the first book in ...more
I didn't read the first book but from what I can tell Sofia gets reunited with her family after her awful experience on Ellis Island. She misses the friend she made, Maureen O'Malley. Sofia is italian and Maureen is Irish, which means they could barely talk to each other when they first met but they formed a special bond during their time there. Sofia is now in the North end of Boston and Maureen is in Brooklyn, New York.
Soon after, Sofia begins school and she knows quite a bit of English thanks
Apr 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Nine-year-old Sofia has finally been reunited with her family after a month in quarantine on Ellis Island, and now they have traveled to Boston to build their new life in America. Sofia's father finds a job in a grocery store, and Sofia begins attending school. She enjoys learning English and making new friends, although she misses her best friend from quarantine, Maureen, whose family has settled in New York City. Sofia describes in her diary her life over seven months as her family adjusts to ...more
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second book in the series tells about how Sofia and her family are adjusting to life in the United States. Sofia has been attending school and is doing very well. Her mother is making pasta dishes and someone else who has a store is selling them, bringing Sofia's family some much-needed money.

Sofia's friend Maureen is having a very difficult time, though, and might be returning to Ireland. Then Sofia becomes ill with something that could affect her for the rest of her life. Even with all o
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
Melissa Wells
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
I loved the message the author was trying to convey and the book is great for young people but it's not for adult readers...Obviously....
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kittykatlove1313
I feel so bad for Sofia and her freind.
Melissa Wells
This was a very interesting read but a little too childish for my tastes. I did find the history aspect really interesting though.
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, after being in quarantine Sofia finally gets to see her family who have moved to Boston. Her friend who she meet in quarantine comes to live with her.
Mellanie C
Aug 07, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at!
The second part in this Dear America series on Sofia finds Sofia at home in Boston with her family as they began to establish themselves.
Apr 26, 2010
Jul 08, 2012
Oct 25, 2015
Jun 12, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • As Far As I Can See (My America: Meg's Prairie Diary, #1)
  • Season of Promise (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #3)
  • Freedom's Wings (My America: Corey's Underground Railroad Diary, #1)
  • After the Rain: Virginia's Civil War Diary (My America: #2)
  • When Freedom Comes
  • The Journal of Finn Reardon, A Newsie (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of C. J. Jackson, a Dust Bowl Migrant, Oklahoma to California, 1935  (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Jesse Smoke : A Cherokee Boy, Trail of Tears, 1838 (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Jedediah Barstow: An Emigrant On The Oregon Trail (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Wong Ming-Chung: A Chinese Miner, California, 1852 (My Name is America)
  • The Journal of Jasper Jonathan Pierce: A Pilgrim Boy (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal Of Joshua Loper, A Black Cowboy (My Name Is America)
  • A City Tossed and Broken: The Diary of Minnie Bonner, San Francisco, California, 1906 (Dear America)
Kathryn Lasky is the American author of many critically acclaimed books, including several Dear America books, several Royal Diaries books, 1984 Newbery Honor winning Sugaring Time, The Night Journey, and the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series.
She was born June 24, 1944, and grew up in Indianapolis, Indiana, and is married to Christopher Knight, with whom she lives in Massachusetts.

Book 15, The War of
More about Kathryn Lasky...

Sofia's Immigrant Diary (3 books)
  • Hope In My Heart: Sofia's Immigrant Diary (My America, #1)
  • An American Spring: Sofia's Immigrant Diary (My America, #3)