Start by marking “Gaia: Chikyū Wa Ikiteiru” as Want to Read:
Gaia: Chikyū Wa Ikiteiru

James E. Lovelock

Gaia: Chikyū Wa Ikiteiru

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  67 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
James Lovelock is a world-renowned scientist and inventor whose work on detecting CFC's (chlorofluorocarbons) in our environment led him to develop a new theory about our planet. The Gaia Hypothesis posits that the Earth is alive-a self regulating organism in its own right. In his two other books on the subject, Lovelock set the record straight on the damage that CFC'c hav ...more
191 pages
Published 2003 by Sanchōshuppan (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Gaia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gaia

Phil
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this incredibly inspiring and very interesting. I was a bit skeptical at first but after reading the whole idea makes PERFECT sense. This is an old book and I am aware there has been revised versions and more research carried out, but the principle is sound. This book is written in a manner that is easy to read and follow but the science is also relatively convincing.

It's enlightened me a little and I like to think it provides just as much hope as a warning for climate change and how we
Maya Panika
I admit I struggled, I was thoroughly bored.

I think that was probably my edition, which is so heavily illustrated and diagrammed - it felt like a 2nd year Geography textbook, I found the illustrations distracting and took my mind off the gist of the book - also, maybe, I knew too much to be excited. The theory is very familiar to me, I was hoping for fresh insights but in a book as old as this one, that was probably overly optimistic.

If you're totally new to the concept of Gaia; if the Earth an
Stuart Aken
Nov 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If only everyone would read this book, they would have a better understanding of the complexity, interaction and interrelation of life and the planet. We might then stand a chance of keeping this small world safe for our children.
Leabelle
I would like to think Lovelock is right.
Charles
Some interesting points about the Gaia Hypothesis and how the Earth could be cured, I have a different approach myself, but if you are an environmentalist it is worth checking out.
Lauchlin
Dec 06, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Aaron Hirsh
Apr 27, 2007 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: scientists/environmentalists
that you can warm the earths atmosphere through the use of the chlorofluorocarbons contained within spray paints, etc. he later added a note that this is not a good idea, but it is plausible.
Lauchlin
Nov 27, 2011
Nicoletta
Jun 04, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

James Ephraim Lovelock, CH, CBE, FRS, is an independent scientist, author, researcher, environmentalist, and futurist who lives in Devon, England. He is known for proposing the Gaia hypothesis, in which he postulates that the Earth functions as a self-regulating system.
More about James E. Lovelock