Start by marking “Wizenbeak (Wizenbeak Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wizenbeak (Wizenbeak Trilogy, #1)

Wizenbeak

(Wizenbeak Trilogy #1)

Something is definitely rotten in Cymdulock. There is on person they all can depend on in this rotten mess - Wizenbeck.
Mass Market Paperback, 296 pages
Published August 13th 1989 by Del Rey (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Wizenbeak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wizenbeak

Jean Triceratops
Jan 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned
I didn’t get far enough in the book to write a proper review, but I did read enough to have a lot of opinions.

The technical writing of Wizenbeak is amateurish. The POV drifts then zooms out and back in again. Most of the description is telling rather than showing. Sentences are long and technically complex without any benefit--it feels like the author simply could decide what he wanted the sentence to be about.

The characters feel poorly developed and aren't interesting enough to capture my atten
Roland Volz
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
An entertaining fantasy story with a reasonable cast. The story starts out as a bog-standard fantasy about a succession crisis involving two princes and their "wicked stepmother," and rapidly evolves with advances in technology and significant character development.

One thing that could have been better was pacing. Of the two main characters in the beginning (Wizenbeak and his hired mercenary captain/foreman Genzari) only Wizenbeak gets a full personality; it took a while for Genzari to have his
brian dean
Feb 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this series of books and I have been trying to guess the sources for his characters. The names are often Spanish-sounding to me but the swordplay feels more Japanese. The politics and religion again feel European, even Spanish-inquisition era.

Mother-of-glass is his own invention and he makes it seem like I should be able to make it at home.

Whatever corner of Gilliland's mind the story came from, it's a good one. There is no sex in the story, which gives it a YA tone. On the other
Aleina
Feb 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned
I think that this book really sucked. I hate to say it, but nothing really picked up my interest. There's war, royalty and developmental issues as this wizard tries to build a new village in a place where there is water deep underground that no one had known about.
Honestly, it just wasn't interesting enough for me and I was really disappointed with the ending.
Konrad
Steven
Oct 25, 2010
James Oden
Dec 19, 2013
Alexis Arnaldus Gilliland (born August 10, 1931 in Bangor, Maine) is an American science fiction writer and cartoonist. He resides in Arlington, Virginia.

Gilliland won the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer in 1982, notably beating David Brin and Michael Swanwick for the honor. Gilliland also won four Hugo Awards for Best Fan Artist (1980, 1983, 1984, 1985), the Rotsler Award (Lifetime Ach

Wizenbeak Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Shadow Shaia (Wizenbeak Trilogy, #2)
  • The Lord of the Troll Bats (Wizenbeak Trilogy, #3)