Start by marking “A Modern Cinderella” as Want to Read:

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  265 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
A Modern Cinderella is a collection of four short stories by Louisa May Alcott, the author of Little Women. Like her more famous novels, Alcott tells stories of young women interacting with people and events from the late 1800s. A great addition to the Alcott library of stories.
Published May 29th 2008 by BiblioLife (first published 1860)

Bonnie
Apr 20, 2016 added it
Prex Ybasco
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: classic
It was a good book, don't get me wrong and Alcott still managed to capture my heart with her literary wit. Is it as memorable as Little Women , or Jo's Boys ? No. The stories in the book reminded me of the characters in the aforementioned texts but that was it. Perhaps it was because there were a number of stories compiled in one book, but those didn't move me nor care about the characters as much as when the kids and the teachers were together. All I realized was to be a Modern Cinderella, one ...more
Phil Syphe
The four stories in this collection differ greatly from one another in tone and subject matter.

The title story didn't appeal to me all that much, as the experimental style didn't suit my taste. At times I was quite confused as to what was happening.

The tale features three sisters who live with their father. The oldest sister takes on the role mother, doing most of the household chores, thus she is the modern Cinderella.

Her younger sisters are in their late teens and do little to help out until s
Trudy Pomerantz
There were four short stories included in this ebook which was available for free on iTunes. They were the title story, A Modern Cinderella, Debby's Debut, The Brothers, and Nelly's Hospital. Louisa May Alcott always wrote very refreshing, moral stories. It always appeared though that reformation was within everybody's grasp as long as they made the right rules and did the right thing. Having said that, she writes charming stories that are thought-provoking and worth reading.

"Di, my father began
Maria
Feb 29, 2012 rated it liked it
This contains four short stories:

A Modern Cinderella

Wow. So inventive! I loved the idea that the 'wicked stepsisters' are really just two very preoccupied older sisters. That Nan doesn't mind the housework. I love John and the promise he made to his mother. I liked the inventiveness of Cinderella's losing her shoe. Lovely.

Debby's Debut

Poor Debby. Taken out of her element and then falling in love and then going silly. I liked this story, if only because Frank Evan is such a darling. I loved the r
Emily
May 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
This is hard to give an accurate rating as there are 4 separate and unique stores put together into one book.
The first story is quite sweet and charming. Rather cliche, but cute. The second story is more interesting, character-wise. I found the almost ending to be a little annoying as the girl nearly ruins her "happily-ever-after." The third story was awful in every way. I had a hard time getting through it and the ending was so sad. The random change in direction from light romance tales to a v
Rida
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful book, it showed the innocence many of us no longer see in modern books. Though I am still quite young, the characters' mature appearances were very much to my taste. The stories were simple in a quick read, but one realizes that these shorts had a much greater meaning once pondered upon. There was humor in the right areas and somber moments in others. All in all, a very enjoyable read, I would recommend this to anyone who loves a little bit of history and literature mixed in ...more
Leigha
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Louisa, you and your unbelievably (yet so believably) perfect characters... I love this book. I love it, I love it, I love it. I highly recommend reading it; it's a short read, great for a cozy afternoon with nothing to do. I don't want to summarize the book. It has a definite point straight from the beginning, you'll learn soon enough. Just start! You can find it free on kindle! Just start reading it!!
Agata Salim
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love the book. Am currently on the second story, and desperately in love with Louisa May Alcott.
I have said these before: that in her stories, she preached, but I like her kind of preaches. It reminds me that to have a pure heart is not an unfashionable thing. And it was more or less the same, since 1910s until today's 2014.
I have so many favorite excerpts that my ebook is filled with highlights!
Camille
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book includes four short stories:
- The little old shoe
- Debby's debut
- The brothers
- Nelly's hospital

I liked the last three better than the first one. The last two especially I found interesting as they were not about the love story of a young girl. They are both related to the Civil War, hospital and, in "The brothers", racial conflict.
  • Weddings and Wasabi (Sushi, #4)
  • Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland (Penguin Young Readers, L4)
  • Snow, Blood, and Envy
  • Tasha Tudor's Garden
  • Snow White (Grimm Curse #3)
  • Cinderella Geek
  • This Is Ireland
  • Paddington Takes the Test (Paddington, #11)
  • Clover (Carr Family, #4)
  • Letters from the Enemy
  • Great Short Works
  • The White People
  • The Book of the Maidservant
  • Soaring Eagle (Prairie Winds, #2)
  • Unseen! (Uncollected)
  • The Devil and Other Stories
  • بند انگشتی
  • Take Joy
As A.M. Barnard:
Behind a Mask, or a Woman's Power (1866)
The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation (1867)
A Long Fatal Love Chase (1866 – first published 1995)
First published anonymously:
A Modern Mephistopheles (1877)

Louisa May Alcott was born in Germantown, Pennsylvania on November 29, 1832. She and her three sisters, Anna, Elizabeth and May were educated by their father, philosopher/ t
More about Louisa May Alcott...
“Di wrestled with her knitting as if it were Fate, and she were paying off the grudge she owed” 0 likes