Start by marking “Almost True Confessions: Closet Sleuth Spills All (Closet Sleuth #2)” as Want to Read:
Almost True Confessions: Closet Sleuth Spills All (Closet Sleuth #2)

Read Excerpt

Almost True Confessions: Closet Sleuth Spills All

(Closet Sleuth #2)

This comic mystery set in the elite zip codes of Manhattan will leave you breathless . . . literally.

What could be more fun for a freelance copy editor than working on a juicy tell-all about one of Manhattan's most enigmatic society doyennes? But when Miranda "Rannie" Bookman arrives at Ret Sullivan's tony Upper East Side apartment, she finds more than the fina
Published October 1st 2013 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Almost True Confessions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost True Confessions

Start your review of Almost True Confessions: Closet Sleuth Spills All (Closet Sleuth #2)
Lulu
Oct 20, 2013 rated it liked it
A fun murder mystery. The heroine Rannie is a mess, but an endearing one. Had to smile at the Fancy Nancy mention since author Jane O'Connor writes that series as well. Hope she writes a third Closet Sleuth mystery.
Jael
Oct 01, 2013 rated it liked it
An amateur sleuth with a knack for spotting grammatical errors? It might sound strange, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading about copy editor Miranda "Rannie" Bookman and her adventures in Almost True Confessions by Jane O'Connor.

This is the second in a series, but I don't think you need to read the first book to understand this one. Why did I enjoy the book? As a former newspaper copy editor and as someone trying to get into book publishing, I totally get her humor. If I see a mistake
Troy Ketch
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a good beach book.
Arleen Faustina
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Light, entertaining, funny - a great summer read.
Maura Heaphy Dutton
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very disappointing follow up to "Dangerous Admissions," which showed a lot of potential.
Colleen
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm still trying to figure this one out. The author has written a wildly popular series of children's books and it shows - a lot of names, etc. feel very childish. And while there was some good depth to the mystery, some things felt really rushed and others felt shoe-horned in, like the scene was added to make the books longer. I'll read the first in the series but I won't seek out any new ones.
Dorothy
This bit of marshmallow fluff masquerading as a book would be just the ticket if one were spending a lazy day at the beach. While I wasn't at the beach, I did find it a pleasant diversion for a couple of days, and quite a departure from my usual reading material.

Our "heroine" is Miranda Bookman, freelance copy editor for various New York publishing houses. She's freelance because she got fired from Simon and Schuster for an egregious mistake. One which was allegedly actually committe
Sara Strand
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
If ever there was a character that I wish I could be, it would be Rannie Bookman. Mostly because I love the fact she is a copy editor, even if it is freelance. Here's a full confession: when I was in high school I adored English and I really lived for grammar. I wanted to go to college to eventually work in a publishing house. I would have been a receptionist, I didn't even care. I do live Simon & Schuster (featured in this book), but Harper Collins would have been my dream, I think. I am th ...more
Liv
Jul 31, 2013 rated it liked it
As posted on: http://bookenamored.blogspot.com/2013...

If you're looking for a fun beach read, then Jane O'Connor's latest adult novel is the book for you. She is primarily known as the author of the popular Fancy Nancy childrens' series, but has proven to be quite capable as an adult author as well. The story centers on a freelance copy editor named Rannie. She is a single mother struggling to carve out a new career for herself after making a huge mistake that cost her the job she'd held for almost a decade. She's also trying
Diane
Oct 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
A brief prepublication review in The New York Times Book Review intrigued me sufficiently to order Almost True Confessions from Amazon. The hook for me was that the story was not only a mystery, but it features a sleuth, Miranda, who is an obsessive editor of grammar and syntax. Sounded like a great fit to me. Indeed, the book arrived last evening and I have spent today's hours cheerfully ensconced in my room reading the mystery.

The murder opening this book is discovered when Rannie (an uncommon permutatiomystery.

Jeffrey
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rannie Bookman, the amateur sleuth, is back for a second murder mystery in this welcome addition to Jane O'Connor's adult mystery series. Unlike the first book, which took place at a private school and delved into the lives of several of the students at the school, this book is more focused on Rannie's life. It is a better approach. Rannie is a likable sleuth, with real issues and a real life. O'Connor makes her world live -- from her dead on description of the rarified world inhabited by a cert ...more
Jenny
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. My kids read the Fancy Nancy series, and so when I learned that the same author wrote adult novels, I wanted to check them out. Unfortunately, I felt that O'Connor's tone was uneven in this book. Most of the time, there were really light scenes and the observations were funny, but then there would be a dark situation or an explicit sex description that pulled me out of the novel.

I also had a really hard time liking Rannie, the main character. (As an aside, I a
Adriana
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Note – This review is of an uncorrected proof I got thru Goodreads’ First Reads.

It seemed somewhat of a novelty to me that the heroine of the story is a fully grown, 43 year-old woman. It also surprised me that she acts and lives like kid straight out of college. It was somewhat surreal to me how un-adult Rannie is in her actions (at least compared to every adult I know), yet it bizarrely helped me follow along more easily. How a grown woman can do some of the things she does is beyond me, but
Tami
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Haven't received my copy yet, just received notice I had won. 8/15/13
Received my copy last night, will start as soon as I am done with my current read. 8/22/13
Started Friday 8/23/13 and finished Sunday 8/25/13

Rannie Bookman is a copy editor. Her friend Ellen has asked her to work on a book but things are strictly confidential. When Rannie goes to the authors apartment to pick up the manuscript, she makes a gruesome discovery; the author is dead. While police are leaning t
Stephanie
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I typically like to read series. I enjoy getting to know characters over the course of several books. I like looking forward to new releases. Over the last few years I have ended up dropping lots of book series, some through the authors' quitting and others because the series itself just got too much. This is all by saying that I really wanted to enjoy this book because it is a series! Unfortunately ...

There were parts I liked. The secondary characters - Rannie's mother and mother-in
Patti Ashley
May 30, 2016 rated it did not like it
I grabbed this book off the discount rack at B&N and recommended it to my book club as a fun light read. The blurb sounded really good. Book editor gets to edit a nasty tell all and finds a body instead.
Well I got the light right. The MC is terribly neurotic and she comes with a madcap family, and a jerky boyfriend. Jerky is my interpretation. He is a recovering alcoholic, ex cop with a rotten attitude.
Everyone in this book has a jerky side and that is all they are allowed to
Don Gorman
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Amateur sleuth stories are a tried and true formula. And this one, in the good hands of Jane O'Connor is a winner. A single Mom, Yale educated copy editor, two kids-one at home and one not, a fun Mother from Shaker Heights, ex-mother in law, ex cop boyfriend, and more and more and more, falls into a really weird murder scenario from a work involvement. Rannie (Annie with an R- as she says) is a great character. A dog chasing a bone through the high brow uptown snooty and very rich apartments of ...more
Martha
Aug 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I received Almost True Confessions as a free book from Goodreads. Rannie's job is to copyedit a book but she must promise not to tell who wrote the book or what it is about. When her friends get murdered she thinks it must have something to do with the manuscript she is reading. She contacts friends, family, ex-boyfriends with questions, and information as she tries to figure out who is committing the murders and why. She seems a bit silly, and fun when she is with her mother, or at a party. I w ...more
Cathy
Nov 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Entertaining read. It's kind of a mystery and mostly the story of a divorced forty-something mom of two teens in New York City. I had to read this because the protagonist is a copy editor, and so am I. Her inward cringing about people's grammatical errors was mildly entertaining. Meanwhile, I had to chuckle every time I found an error in the book, which was more frequent than I think it should have been. Fun and fairly light read.

Read my full review, including a rating for content, a
Erin
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was clever and I liked the setting. Books about publishing are interesting and the mystery, while complicated, held my interest. I wavered between 3 and 4 stars, though. I didn't really find Rannie's relationship with Tim plausible. I wasn't clear on what brought them together, as they appeared to share very little and I couldn't tell if they even enjoyed one another's company.

But a good book. I'll be seeking out Dangerous Admissions, the author's other adult title, and
Tricia Douglas
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a cute mystery written by the author who writes the Fancy Nancy children's books. Jane has developed great characters who the readers enjoys keeping track of and trying to figure out if they are guilty in the major murder scheme. Just when you think you know the details, the character is killed off! This was a fast read (even though there were slower parts to the story) which I won through the Goodreads Advanced Reader program.
Heidi
Aug 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I won this book as part of a Goodreads book giveaway.

Upon reading this book, I didn't realize that it was the second book in a series. I fully understood what this book was about from the beginning. It was difficult for me to stay focused while reading this. The beginning of the book didn't capture my attention like I like books to.

I did enjoy the characters though I wish it would have been a little more fast paced.
Cookie
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Yeah, still not a fan of murder mysteries.

The whole mystery part just gets in the way of the characters' stories. And I did like the characters in this book; enough to consider reading another, but for that whole murder mystery thing.

Enjoyed the writing and charterers enough to read a non-mystery by Jane O'Connor.

The "Grammar Gestapo" thing was great!

Recommended to fans of 'zany' murder mysteries (if that's even a thing).
Helen Baldwin
Apr 06, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a mystery (for adults) from the author of the Fancy Nancy books. I picked it up because it is set in New York and features a divorced copy editor who uses her skills to solve a murder mystery a la Nancy Drew. Sounds great! It has some funny dialogue, but when it becomes a matter of not just one murder, but two, then three, instead of wanting to finish it, I lost interest, but finished it anyway. I ended up feeling a little disappointed in the story.
Beth
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's such a cop-out when the killer blabs through pages of motive exposition while holding the good guy at gunpoint or knifepoint — and so common in books like this.

The main character is a grammar perfectionist and she mentally picks on other characters for misusing words. She should have given the author a tip on "laying" vs. "lying," which was flubbed twice.
Mandolin
Aug 31, 2013 added it
Shelves: given-up
I received a free copy in the GoodReads First Reads program. I looked forward to reading it after reading that the author wrote the Fancy Nancy series. It didn't live up to my hopes. A little too predictable, though the main character was very likable and funny. It was a light read that didn't require much thought and I enjoyed it a bit, but was expecting better.
Mary
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Kind of a guilty pleasure, but I ended up enjoying this mystery more than I thought I would. I liked the stressed-out NYC copy-editor and amateur sleuth very much, as she is caught between her aging and difficult mother, her sarcastic teenage son, her AA-attending on-again-off-again boyfriend, and, of course, the dead bodies that keep cropping up. A quick and fun read.
Susan
Nov 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Free-lance copy editor Rannie Bookman is supposed to pick up a top-secret manuscript from disfigured scandal-monger Ret Sullivan, but instead finds the woman's dead body. There are connections, always, in the incestuous world of publishing, so although her significant other, ex-cop Tim, warns her to stay out of it, Rannie can't help but investigate, certainly after the other murders start.
Julie
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was okay. The essentials of the story were good. I wanted to like Rannie Bookman more than I did. I mean, a book loving grammar queen - what's not to love? I hate poor grammar, but a couple of the things she commented on were just too picky! It kind of alienated me, and I imagine I'm not the only one.
Cheri Loughlin
Sep 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: women-s-fiction
It was ok. A little far fetched in some areas and predictable in others. The characters kind of flat-lined for me. Some of their behaviors seemed off to me. Even so, it was a fun plot line and easy read.

• Murder on the Hoof (Colleen McCabe, #2)
  • Pride and Pyramids
  • Woman on Top
  • Uncorked (Uncorked, #1)
  • The Peacekeeper's Photograph (Master Sergeant Lauren Harper Mystery,#1)
  • Beneath the Bleak New Moon
  • The Case of the Chocolate Snatcher
  • My Life In Black And White
  • Smokestack Lightning
  • The Sugar Cookie Sweetheart Swap
  • Spartan and The Green Egg: A Trip to the Rainforest (Spartan and The Green Egg #1)
  • The Ghost Next Door (Romantic Ghost Stories, #1)
  • The Idea of Him
  • Secret Santa
Since the publication of Fancy Nancy, Jane O'Connor's closet now boasts so many boas, tiaras, and sparkly ensembles that sometimes friends do not recognize her on the street. She still resides (that's a fancy word for lives) in New York City with her family and their canine companion, Arrow. --from the publisher's website

Closet Sleuth (2 books)
  • Dangerous Admissions: Secrets of a Closet Sleuth (Closet Sleuth #1)