Start by marking “Dim Sum for Everyone!” as Want to Read:
Dim Sum for Everyone!

Dim Sum for Everyone!

A tasty morsel of a board book all about dim sum from the Newbery Honor–winning author of Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, Grace Lin.

A Chinese American family sits down to enjoy a traditional dim sum meal. Dumplings, cakes, buns, and tarts are wheeled out in little dishes on trolleys, and each family member gets to choose a favorite treat!

Lin’s bold and gloriously
Board Book, 24 pages
Published September 9th 2014 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published July 10th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dim Sum for Everyone!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dim Sum for Everyone!

Start your review of Dim Sum for Everyone!
David Schaafsma
One of the great things about living in a large city with a Chinatown is that you can regularly get Dim Sum, which means various things but mainly for my family means going to a Chinese restaurant and viewing cart after bustling cart of plates of delicious bites of a wide variety of food offered to your table until you burst. My favorite place for Dim Sum in Chicago is The Phoenix, and especially during the Chinese New Year, but now I am so hungry. . .

This book is lightly informative, but the
Calista
I love Grace Lin’s work. I got this book as Dim Sum is something I have always wanted to enjoy, but it is still on my bucket list of things to do. I know the idea of choosing little plates to eat as they roll by, but it was nice to have this guide on how to do it. It looks like a whole lot of fun.

Grace explains through her characters what they serve and how they serve and what the process is. They leave the plates on the table as they way of totaling up the bill. They also share the dishes they
Jon Nakapalau
Only bad thing about this book - now I am so hungry! Great 'family eating together' book.
Manybooks
May 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: small children interested in international foods and cuisines
Grace Lin's Dim Sum For Everyone is for all intents and purposes sweet and enlightening (and perhaps even quite engaging for the very young). However, and on a purely personal level, I really cannot say that I like the accompanying illustrations all that much, as they are simply much too cartoon-like for my aesthetic tastes (working well enough in conjunction with the narrative, but not in any way magical or spectacular, just simply and basically adequate). Also, and for me probably even more ...more
Lisa Vegan
I wasn’t wild about the style of art in this book, but it worked for all the little dishes and especially on my favorite page in the story “Everyone eats a little bit of everything.” which shows many tables, many people, many dishes. My other favorite pages in this book aren’t part of the story. They’re the two page long note at the end giving some history about the dim sum tradition and the back inside cover with drawings of various dim sum foods with their English and Chinese (alphabet ...more
Crystal Marcos
May 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one. I thought I knew what Dim Sum was, but I was wrong. I love when I learn something new and expand my horizons. First of all, the illustrations in this book are bright, bold, and beautiful! I like that the moment you look at the cover you know you are going on a culinary adventure. The details from beginning to end were wonderful. The story is about a little girl who goes to a Dim Sum restaurant with her family. The book details their eating experience. At the end of the book, ...more
Kathryn
I enjoyed this book but perhaps not as much as I was hoping to. The illustrations were not my cup of tea, and I thought the story was just a bit too sparse and nothing really "special" in the telling--but I could totally see my kid-self LOVING this book. I would be absolutely obsessed with the idea of getting to go to a restaurant and pick out my own "little" dishes of food. Oh my, what fun! And, okay, even as an adult I am kind of enamored with the idea and want to go to a Dim Sum bar now! I ...more
Christopher Hicks
This was a fun children's book. Cute story and colorful illustrations
Jacob
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A fun little story the helps to educate on diversity and also shows a very happy family unit while making me hungry.
Karol
Jun 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is beautifully illustrated and I think would be interesting to a small child. It did make me want to go to a Dim Sum restaurant! Overall, it was an appealing book.
Jinya Situ
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book because we can learn different kind of dim sum from this book . This book talk about traditional dim sum in Chinese restaurant. Children would feel hungry when we read this book together,they might say I want to eat some dim sum . I would recommend this book for someone who love chinese dim sum
Ann
The text itself is just okay. Nothing too endearing or special. But, I really enjoyed the back matter, which gave a nice overview of what Dim Sum is and how it came to be so popular.

The illustrations are nice and colorful, and I admit I really wanted some dim sum after reading this book!
Michele
Jul 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebook, family
Brief text describes dim sum, perfect for preschoolers or new readers. Wonderful 2 page note at the end explaining history and traditions.
Amanda
• Summarize the book:
This beautifully illustrated picture book tells the story of a Chinese American girl and her family going out to a restaurant and having a traditional meal of dim sum.

• Identify the characteristics from the text that support the specific genre: This book is set in contemporary times and is realistic. With a gentle touch it brings readers in to one of the most wonder and accessible aspects of culture; food!

• Identify specific literary or educational concepts that could be
Mooka Srisurayotin
“Dim Sum” meaning small bite-sized portions of food traditionally served in small steamer basket or on small plates. Jie-Jie, a girl describes her dinner experience with family at a dim sum restaurant. Her family picks their favourite little dishes from the steaming carts filled with dumplings, buns and cakes. It is traditional style dinner, everyone shares their food with each other, so they can get a bite of everything. Dim Sum for Everyone! celebrate a Chinese culture and their traditional ...more
Sahar Azimi
The genre of this story is a realistic fiction about a young girl describing different Chinese dishes. The audience would be grades kindergarten to 2nd grade because it is a very easy read with only a few sentences on each page.

Text to Self: The narrator is talking about all of the different Chinese dishes and the way it is eaten, this reminds me of when I went to an Indian restaurant. Each dish was served on large plates for everyone to share and eat on their own plates; you would eat a little
Becky B
A little girl and her family go to have dim sum at a restaurant, introducing readers to some of the common dishes and unique traits of a dim sum restaurant.

Short, sweet, and culturally spot on. This is a great multicultural picture book that introduces a yummy restaurant experience (which can potentially be overwhelming for first timers...this would be good to read before going for the first time). The back of the book includes an informative note on the history and development of dim sum
Dolly
Jul 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We just love dim sum! And this is a short, fun, and inforamative story about dim sum and a few of the different kinds there are. A great story to read aloud to children!

This story was selected as one of the books for the June 2010 - Culinary Delights reads at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Devon
We read this during a presentation that our ESL kids were giving on their home countries. Two are from China, and they really enjoyed listening to the story and telling us what some Chinese characters meant. I think what was best about this book within this context was how it gave the Chinese students an opportunity to teach and talk about their heritage in front of their friends.

Others say that they think the style is too cartoony, but it's a book intended for small children? I'm not sure what
Brenda
Jun 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I have to admit my son was more interested in the illustrations then in the actual story itself. I felt the explanation of the tradition and definition for Dim sum at the end of the story were the best part of the whole book and really were very interesting to read.
Kelly Lin
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book that it show the children what is dim sum. Dim sum is a small dish that I like it very much and it tastes delicious. It is one of most important food that Chinese people most have.
Abigail
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Picture-Books Featuring Chinese-American Families
A simple narrative - "Ma-ma picks little dishes of sweet pork buns. / Ba-ba chooses little dishes of fried shrimp" - and bright, textured illustrations come together in Grace Lin's Dim Sum for Everyone, a picture-book celebration of the Chinese tradition of eating meals composed of many small dishes. Though the text is minimal, with one brief sentence per two-page spread, it manages to emphasize both the familial and communal nature of going out to eat Dim Sum, while also making it look fun.

Justice
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little girl and her family travel to a family restaurant called “Dim Sum”. Here the little girl explores many different dishes with her family and learns about the meaning of the restaurant.

Circular Connections:
The student will apply a wide range of strategies to
comprehend, interpret, evaluate, appreciate, and respond to a wide variety of
texts such as the use of short, long, and r-controlled vowel sounds, students will use blends, digraphs, and diphthongs, and lastly alphabetize to the second
Xiaoting
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dim Sum for Everyone

I really enjoy this book. This is very simple and cute. A child describes the various little dishes of dim sum that she and her family enjoy on a visit to a restaurant in Chinatown. This is lovely.
There is a Chinese family. Ma-ma means mother. Ba-ba means father. Jie-Jie and Mei-mei mean sister.

This picture book fills with Chinese culture. The food, Dim Sum, is also Chinese food. As a Chinese, I really enjoy this book.

The picture book is very colorful. We can see the first
Jasmine Na
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dim Sum for Everyone by Grace Lin is a good short read for kids. It gives Children who are not familiar with the Chinese culture, a look into different foods of the Chinese culture. The story shares different foods and how dim sum works. There is no plot or resolution in the story, but it is a straight forward book in the perspective of the little girl sharing her experience. I do not think that children will be engaged when reading the book unless if the class is focusing on Chinese culture ...more
Erin
I love Grace Lin's art, and while most of her picture books are more geared to a pre-school audience, this one is simple enough to use with toddlers. In fact, I'm suprised that a board book or even a lift-the-flap version has never been made.

(A lift-the-flap version would be especially great IMO!) I've used this specifically at Chinese New Year, but also for general food or family-themed storytimes.
Lisa
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
One of our favorites, especially as dim sum is a family tradition. Not all the dishes in the book are typical around here (the SF Bay Area/California). One afternoon when my 1.5yo wanted me to read the book over and over, I realized the illustrations are thoughtful as well as colorfully gorgeous — there are throughlines from page to page, when there don’t need to be; that kind of attention to visual narrative is one of my hallmarks of a superb picture book!
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I'm not wild about her artwork, but I like the story--it made me hungry! The author is from the area where I live, so of course I have to read everything she writes. Hope I get to meet her some day!
Dianna
Apr 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice introduction to what Dim Sum is. I really like the backgrounds on all the pictures.
Matt
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute book. I always enjoy anything that enlightens others to a different culture. The illustrations and the story were spot on and the themes of sharing and togetherness shine through.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Goldy Luck and the Three Pandas
  • The Legend of Old Befana
  • The Princess and the Pit Stop
  • Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao
  • Preschool, Here I Come!
  • If I Built a School