Start by marking “Something to Curse About (Discord Jones #2)” as Want to Read:
Something to Curse About (Discord Jones #2)

Something to Curse About

(Discord Jones #2)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  1,129 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
The year 2000 brought in more than a new millennium. With it came The Melding, which returned magic and fairytales, both light and dark, to the world. Seven years later, Discord Jones has gained some control over the psychic abilities she received, though they continue to grow and change, challenging her to adapt.

Yet her new "normal" is anything but, as a family outing le
Kindle Edition, 1, 220 pages
Published December 23rd 2013 by Katarr Kanticles Press

To ask other readers questions about Something to Curse About, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something to Curse About

Wyrdness
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I really rather like this series. I'm a big fan of the more detective-y side of UF (though this is more detective lite), especially when it's peppered with interesting secondary characters like this series is. I'd like to see them given a bit more air time in future installments, but I'll take what I can.

I enjoy the character of Discord Jones, though she does seem to act older than her stated age. Or maybe I just think that because I've read an awful lot of UF where the main character acts like
Petrie Serrano
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: entertainment
My legs are sore.

I have this rule of only reading the Kindle at the gym and I found myself spending 2-3x as long on the bike so I could read more. When the bikes were taken I even experimented with settings on the treadmill until I could walk and read without tripping and hitting my face on the E-stop.

I have been at a loss for words the past few days because I want to write a review that will do this book-- and the series--justice. I can't. The foreshadowing, the tightly-woven plot and subplots,
Suz
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

I liked it. I find I don't mind that slightly mary sue tendency of the heroine to develop new abilities as the story line accounts for it. I also have figured out where that is going since the first book and I'm just waiting to see if I'm right. Nothing in this book changed my mind about that.

Hate the boyfriend and am ready for him to go. It's not so much a triangle at the moment as it is a potential rectangle or square, but I'm told it'll resolve in the next book. We'll see.

Jumping right int
Jeanny
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it

=============
This book counts towards Girls, Guns and Grimoires discussion Challenges > Book Bingo
Category: NOVEL FEATURING AN ANIMAL
*****************POSSIBLE SPOILER**********
Reason: The protagonist is stuck in canine form.
Book:Something to Curse About (Discord Jones #2) by Gayla Drummond
Runningrabbit
I liked this book better than the 1st book. This took off on a tangent, that although done before if somewhat rarely, this one was done with panache and really hit the spot.

After this main story, a bit of a finalisation and wrap up took the novel off on a different level, and kept the pace up and the novel fresh.

I'm definitely up for the next one.
thao vi
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I pretty much laughed my way through this book. I loved how the author was able to tell the story in discord's eyes When sh. Was cursed.

This book is extremely well written with a likeable heroine and side kicks.

I love this series and the sequel is even better than the first book.

Well done author
✿Emma-Louise Violet
A new favourite series which I'm thoroughly enjoying.
Discord Jones is a brilliant character whom you really care about,
plus there's some fabulous dogs in this book and thats an absolute win for me :).
Lyndi W.
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying this series so far, but I hate Discord's boyfriend. Like seriously hate him. There is just something wrong about him and I'm really hoping he dies horribly in the next book.
Charlotte
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Although the Nick-Discord relationship is less than ideal and the Logan-Discord relatioship seems much more realistic, it is nice to see that Discord does not just dump Nick, but instead, the characters learn and mature (somewhat). The plot is interesting and exciting, at a sufficiently brisk pace.
Marsha
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's been a while since I read the first book in the Discord Jones series and often times the second book in a series can be an indicator for me as to whether or not I will continue on with other books. I am happy to say that "Something to Curse About" was an awesome read for me and as far as I am concerned, it was also better than the first book (that's saying a lot)

Cordi or Discordia is at it again, pissing off enemies at each and every turn. This time she stops a girl from falling to her deat
Jeannie Lopez
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cordi gains some control only to be thrown into a funny new adventure.
Whitney
Reviewed by Whitney@Shooting Stars Reviews

The second book in the series begins with people beginning forced to commit suicide. Cordi is not at all sure what is going on, but she must find out. But before she is able to she ends getting turned into a dog. Now, she has a whole lot of problems to deal with, and her new adversion to her boyfriend... She must work hard to figure out how to get back to normal before it is all too late.

This book was straight up hilarious. And I mean roll-on-floor-laug
Bookmom
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
In this second book about a psychic private investigator with a slew of abilities many of us wish we had, is hired by a woman to find her dog that was snatched while being taken for a walk. At the same time a number of people are committing suicide, only from Cordi’s telepathy when near the scene of one, she knows that these people are being forced into doing it. But why and by whom?

One thing I really like about this series is that Cordi is always learning something about the different species a
Heavenlyz
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Drummond amazed me when she tied one of the cases that Discordia had taken before the setting of this book to the plot itself. I had forgotten about that case until she solved it under... extreme conditions.... and just when I thought things were about to end, something else happens. I was actually surprised when I thought it was the end, because things couldn't be that simple, could it? And then BAM! it wasn't so simple as I thought after all. I still didn't like the way Nick's and Discordia's ...more
Mary B. Grove
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first one

I really like the heroine in this series. Cordi is tough, bright and determined to do what she thinks is right. Too many paranormals have whiny, co-dependent or interminably self-blaming female leads and it gets old, so these books are refreshing. They're also well-written, the plots interesting and believable, the world-building logical, and the secondary characters/romantic interests definitely individuals (other than Logan, but I have hopes for him as the series
Alan
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another good book with a great storyline that will entice you to keep you reading right through to the every end. This story finds us watching things unfold even more with issues that involve the "tiger clans", family issues and the gaining of "new abilities", elves and or course the regular job that our Discord Jones get involved with.

Gayla truly knows how to write books for her readers as the wit, charm and snarky comments just continue amongst the various characters and keep you laughing, smi
Bec
We have lots and lots of action and it was pretty fast pace, this was good thing. This is more character driven but we do get bits and pieces of interesting world building here and there. Pretty much all supes, gods and any fantasy beings you can think up can exist in this world; this does give the author quite a lot to work with. I’m still not excited about Discords relationship with Nick, he’s kind of an asshat in my opinion and really hope that he goes away soon; one of the reasons for markin ...more
MJ
Dec 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-modern
While holding my attention, this book was shorter on word count than the others and a bit lighter on plot. Discordia saves a suicide at the fair, then investigates once she finds out they jumped to their death later that night, despite picking up thoughts that they wanted to live. More suicides happen and Discordia falls prey to the dark-elf that's been cursing the people. She's turned into a dog and continues the investigation as Logan's clan's pet dog. She hilariously meets and speaks with oth ...more
mirba
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Ok, I bought all the books in this series in january and I've read the whole serie already twice.
I like it a lot. Also it gets better in rereading it.

Yes the main character is really young (and being three years in a coma does put her in borderline minor area) and almost always she behaves like a 35 years old woman. Also, advancing in the serie, she starts becoming a dog hoarder, but that's a very good thing in my opinion.
That's the only minor problems with the serie.
The rest is just awesome
mlady_rebecca
I enjoyed this one more than the first book. Still a Mary Sue, but the vibe eased off.

Kitty cat shifters >> wolves.

Was trying to track her abilities. Partial list:

Telepathy
Telekinesis
Teleportation
Psychometry (info from handling objects)
Pyrokinesis (fire)
Cryokinesis (ice)
Empathy
Tracking
Precognition
Retrocognition aka flashbacks
(Self) healing
Communication with animals (dogs)
Electrokinesis (electricity)
Holly
I liked the previous book better, but this was still enjoyable. New paranormal types are added along with some new, convenient abilities for Cordi. The love interest, Nick, takes a major backseat in this one and I'll be happy when that relationship finally ends and the obvious next choice gets his chance. I will say this book read a LOT more like YA, but we'll see how much that does or does not change in the next book(s). On to the next!
Rosemary Desris
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A need to read

The first book I read of GD I thought had a nice difference to it . I didn't put it down till I was finished it thanks to my kindle reading to me ! This book did not disappoint . I would love to say how but that would just be wrong . Great story can't wait to read the next one .
Pernille Olsen
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Im maybe not all the way to "really liking it", but I like it better than book one, and I gave that one 3 stars. Maybe I am on 3,5 stars, between "like" and "really like".

I wasn't sure what to think about the dog curse, but it kind of worked. Discord needs to get a clue about the duche boyfriend and get rid of him. He is really annoying. Hope that happens in book 3
Gypsie Holley
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Please expire Discords boyfriend. I honestly don't know how much more I can tolerate. This character is so weak and whiny, possesive and cruel hearted that I don't know why she chooses to put up with this crap. Sex won't fix it. I sure hope something changes in the next book! I really can't stand reading him...
Swalsk
Omg. This book was awesome. Most stories crumble when they have too much going on at once, but this one tied it all in nicely. would love to see dog-cordie again. Also, still really wishing team tiger was a thing already
Lisa Norvell
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Going to read them all

Good heroine. Good plot. Discord and her widening circle of friends and her ever increasing talents are delightful to follow. . .reminds me of " Rachel Morgan".
Julie
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
A more solid 3. There was some improvement from the first book, although the character of Nick continues to feel out of place. I feel like the author doesn't like him either but he's there for some purpose.
Jacqueline Bagwell
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this series.

Exciting adventures, romance and more. I highly recommend any book written by Gayla Drummond. "Discord Jones" books are a great read!
Cazy
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Gave it high marks because I absolutely loved the part when she changed forms.
Amanda
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This series is fantastic! It makes me feel how the earlier Anita Blake novels felt, full of excitement and joy. I would highly recommend this series and I can't wait for the next instalment.
  • Wildfire Gospel (Santeria Habitat, #3)
  • Oathbreaker (The Godhunter, #3)
  • Grave Secret (Secret McQueen, #5)
  • Blood Tree: Part One
  • The Severed Thread (Abigail Lassiter, #1)
  • Shiv Crew (Rune Alexander, #1)
  • Monster (Cassidy Edwards, #1)
  • Fire Within (Guardian Witch, #2)
  • Box Office Poison (Linnet Ellery, #2)
  • Darkness Haunts (The Sensor, #1)
  • Undercover Magic (Shifty Magic, #2)
  • Chevalier (Ondine Quartet, #2.2)
  • High Stakes (Bo Blackman, #3)
  • Quick Fix (Ciel Halligan, #2)
  • Broken Promise (The Broken Ones, #3)
  • Autumn Bones (Agent of Hel, #2)
  • Cursed by Fire (Blood & Magic, #1)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
Puppy rescuer and equine slave who loves visiting other worlds through reading and writing.

You can find her on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gayladrummon... or drop by her website at http://gldrummond.com.

Discord Jones (6 books)
  • Arcane Solutions (Discord Jones #1)
  • Save the Last Vamp for Me (Discord Jones #3)
  • Frost & Bothered (Discord Jones #4)
  • Black Magic Shadows (Discord Jones #5)
  • A Little Street Magic (Discord Jones #6)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Jilo (Witching Savannah #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Line (Witching Savannah, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Void (Witching Savannah, #3)
“I have a library card. I use it.” 4 likes