Start by marking “When Summer's in the Meadow” as Want to Read:
When Summer's in the Meadow

When Summer's in the Meadow

Details the experiences of two novice farmers on a farm in western Ireland, relating their experiences at animal husbandry, their attempts to have a child, and their assimilation into Irish life.
Published July 1st 2003 by Soho Press (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about When Summer's in the Meadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Summer's in the Meadow

Start your review of When Summer's in the Meadow
Kathleen
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've read this entire series of four books and I loved every bit of them. If you love Ireland, think you love Ireland, think you want to live in Ireland, these are the books to read. The poetic words of Niall Williams and the beautiful artwork of Christine Breen are a magical combination.
Katie
Apr 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Liked it--not quite as magical as the first book but still good.
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
The stories of rural life in Ireland were readable; however, I struggled with the subplot of adopting a child. Ultimately this book implies that life has no value without a child and a child makes everything better...This overwhelming opinion made it hard to find enjoyment in the memoir as it - probably unintentionally - indicates that there is no other opinion to have in regards to children.
Gail
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this very well; looking forward to reading more of their books.
Heather Adkins
Mar 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ireland, favorites
With beautiful writing and awe inspiring imagery, Williams puts together a picture of survival in rural Ireland that is incomparable to anything I've ever imagined. With every trial brought me tears and with every jubilation brought a smile to my face. I love that this couple has shared their life, giving me the opportunity to live out my dream of living in Ireland through them. I can't wait to read the next book!
Charlene
May 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Satisfying continuation of the series -- this is story of Niall Williams and his artist/writer wife, Christine, as they settle more into their life in very rural western Ireland as farmers and creative folk. Major story with this one was the adoption of their first child. Not quite as good as the first book in series but definitely enjoyable.
Elizabeth Marcus
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book, enjoyed following Niall and Christine on their life in Kiltumper. Though they had learned lots more in their 2nd-3rd years living in Ireland, there was still much to learn, especially through the process of adopting their daughter, Deirdre.
Hope
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
A lovely story all around! I'm so thankful my friend loaned me these books. When I open one at the end of a long day it's as though the author says, "Come sit down, here's a cuppa, rest, relax, let me tell you all the gentle news." Definite soul food. :-)
Jeanette
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-read
I have always wanted to visit Ireland. I think I need to go back to read the first book they wrote. This one is of their years in Ireland after they are slightly better settled and are adopting a baby. I love reading about their farm and their simple everyday life. I envy them their community.
Hope
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lia
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
A satisfying continuance of Niall and Chris's life on County Clare. Tackles the still-difficult subject of adoption after infertility. Granted, when this book took place there weren't options like there are now. I really love the excerpts from Crissie's journal.
Katkenoh
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Just as good a read as the first book. Niall and Christine really convey what life in the west of Ireland is really like. Makes me want to visit and experience for myself the hospitality of Ireland's people.
Rosemary
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great follow up to their first book.
Tim
Aug 21, 2012 rated it liked it
More of the same, but again enough to make me want to read its sequel.
Lizz
Mar 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Mindless reading really, but enjoyable. A continuation of their Ireland adventures.
Kathy Kayser-konig
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lovely!!
Roberta
Nov 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
The longed for baby arrives and they settle deeper into theor life in the west of Ireland. Pleasent reading.
Maureen
Oct 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Inextinguishable Symphony: A True Story of Music and Love in Nazi Germany
  • Like Falling Through a Cloud: A Lyrical Memoir
  • Our Divided Political Heart: The Battle for the American Idea in an Age of Discontent
  • Desk 88: Eight Progressive Senators Who Changed America
  • On God's Side: What Religion Forgets and Politics Hasn't Learned about Serving the Common Good
  • Evelyn: A True Story
  • Gathering Prey (Lucas Davenport, #25)
  • At Home in Mitford (Mitford Years, #1)
  • Mad River (Virgil Flowers, #6)
  • Winter Prey (Lucas Davenport, #5)
  • Nutshell
  • Funny Girl
  • Juliet, Naked
  • The Polysyllabic Spree
  • Bloody Confused!: A Clueless American Sportswriter Seeks Solace in English Soccer
  • How to Be Good
  • A Long Way Down
  • Fever Pitch
Niall Williams studied English and French Literature at University College Dublin and graduated with a MA in Modern American Literature. He moved to New York in 1980 where he married Christine Breen. His first job in New York was opening boxes of books in Fox and Sutherland's Bookshop in Mount Kisco. He later worked as a copywriter for Avon Books in New York City before leaving America with Chris ...more