Start by marking “Rumors (Lingering Echoes, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Rumors (Lingering Echoes, #0.5)

Rumors

(Lingering Echoes #0.5)

Allie Collins wants nothing more than to forget the past and move beyond the recent death of her beloved cousin. If only it were that simple.

Upon returning for her senior year of high school, rumors quickly spread about the tragic summer accident that left the school’s star athlete grieving in the shadows. Now, the last thing Allie wants is the limelight. But the relentle
Published December 21st 2013 by Clean Teen Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Rumors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumors

Start your review of Rumors (Lingering Echoes, #0.5)
Norma Budden
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When the truth is worse than fiction

Allie struggles with the aftermath of her cousin's drowning, lives with images she can't seem to get out of her mind. The rumours flying around - as bad as they are - cannot compare to the horrifying truth of what she experienced.

Desiring to feel like a normal teen again, she makes decisions which seem out of character for her in the hopes of fitting in...but she makes a few discoveries along the way.

I truly enjoyed the way the story was told and the way the
Amber
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rumors is a raw and honest journey of learning how to deal with and overcome the grief of losing a loved one. Not only does this precious soul have to deal with unbearable grief, but she has heaped irrepressible guilt on top of it. This has resulted in a life lacking in its former freedom, joy, and hope that is slowly making her die from the inside out. This is a story that will break your heart and show you the importance or reaching out to those around us in need of comfort and a listening ear ...more
Megan
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-freebies
Maybe I would have enjoyed this story more had I read this after reading Lingering Echoes, because the story just stops and it's not what I'd call a cliffhanger. It felt as though there should have been something more to the story.

I felt badly for Allie, that she not only lost her cousin but that she feels as though she could've prevented it and is blaming herself for the death. (view spoiler)
Shane
I liked this story. It was fast-paced, well-written, intriguing, and very relatable. Here we have this teen girl who's coping with the death of her cousin. Throughout the story you're given the sense of the guilt Allie feels. At first I thought it was going to be too depressing and overwhelming to read, but I was kept interested from start to finish. I'm glad I read Rumors before picking up Lingering Echoes because the prequel gives a clear understanding of what happened and it transitions into ...more
Rittwolf
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that for the first two-thirds of this novella I was leaning towards giving it a 3 star rating. I was very frustrated at the way Allie was being treated by her friends and her basketball coach. I was even a bit frustrated that Allie wasn't standing up for herself and doing what she felt she needed to do to heal. Then I had to remind myself that Allie is a 16 year old that has never been through any kind of a loss before let alone the loss of a loved one. It's pretty obvious from t ...more
Brittany
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this book so much! I am anxious to read the other books in the series!

This book is a definite page-turner that was almost impossible to put down. I actually finished it while walking (and I never read while walking, I'm too clumsy for that) and was so excited when it was over and ready for more because I felt like I went on a journey with the main character.

If you read to feel like you're right there with the characters, this book is for you.
Emily
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another download from Book Bub, a book that I would have never read (or even known about) otherwise. I really enjoyed it. You are drawn into the story and compelled to read to the end, which by the way ends so abruptly I actually let out a groan. Just be prepared and have Lingering Echoes waiting.
Crystal
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this in one day. I can't explain if this is a good or bad thing. Death is never an easy subject and it ripped my heart out watching Allie struggle as much as she did. However, by the end I was able to see the beginning of a real change. This change makes me want to read the next book. I am rooting for Allie.

The only thing that bothered me was how heartless Tara seemed to be. She wasn't much of a friend and that really makes me want to see Allie surpass Tara and hopefully come out better.
KayteReads
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-owned
Interesting

I ended up really enjoying this. It was heartbreaking but really interesting! I will definitely be reading the rest of the series asap!
Alyssa Markuson
Enjoyed the plot. Good for a quick read!
Lourie
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I read “Rumors” after reading “Lingering Echo’s” and I found it to be okay. It is written in the first person so at times it became too weighed down in teen angst for me to really fall in love with it.

Because Allie is holding on to her grief and not expressing or even talking about it, it has become hard for others to connect with her. While she feels as though every one is the bad guy and she just want to be left alone she is contributing to the problem.

I so think that the author did an excel
Sarah Elizabeth
(Source: Downloaded for free from amazon.co.uk.)
Allie is having trouble coping with the death of her younger cousin, especially as she feels like it was her fault.

This was an interesting story, about quite a difficult subject.

I liked Allie, although she did seem to be punishing herself for what happened. I think this was pretty understandable once the reader knew what exactly had happened, and it was easy to empathise with her.

The storyline was good, and I liked the mystery over what exactly hap
Kristen Jett
Rumors is a great accompaniment to Lingering Echoes. While it's a prequel, I would say this is one that should definitely be read after Lingering Echoes, as so you already have a glimpse of Allie's present character.

Lingering Echoes begins after an accident, and with Rumors we get to see exactly what happened, and precisely the toll it took on Allie.

How heavy can grief be?
How much regret can one person carry?
How can simple rumors make their burden so much harder?
Trina
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story although sad because Allie is trying to deal with the loss of her cousin is a page turning easy read! Anyone trying to deal with the loss of a loved one will relate to this beautifully written story of a teenager struggling to cope with loss & survivors guilt as well as peer pressure & high school.
I love the character of Allie & the way the writer pulls you into her life, I also loved the character of Shane who sticks by her even though she pushes everyone away.
This story had me in
Lyn Ehley
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A prequel to Lingering Echoes, we are introduced to Allie Collins who has recently been involved in a summer tragedy. When she goes back to school, she hides behind boys and basketball as normal life while rumors swirl about her involvement. Her friends get her into some dicey situations that make emotional recovery even more difficult. The story was a quick and easy read and draws you to the story Lingering Echoes if you have not read it first. I appreciated the explanation of where the myriad
Brittany | BookRamblings
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful insight into Allie's mind before Lingering Echoes. We get to personally find out how she coped with the death of her cousin and how broken she actually became. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this prequel and if I was able to give it more stars, I would!!!! We are introduced to new characters and see the different relationship Allie had with them before the death, and the relationship she has with them after.

Recommended to all fans of Lingering Echoes... and if you have not read that b
Katie Pierce
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another job well done! You amazed me again with your awesome talent for writing. I liked reading Lingering Echoes first and then Rumors. I liked how reading them in that order kept me guessing until everything was completely revealed and "dots connected" in Lingering Echoes. Then in Rumors the accident and right after was revealed in detail and Allie's attitude was explained and totally understandable. It tied everything together nicely!! ...more
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really, really liked it. One of the few books who managed to elude the corny way the male lead always fixes everything and the fact that love isn't the cure to all ... Allie was beautifully flawed and Shane was loveable in his teenaged, doesn't-know-bettwe was. Loved that they didn't end up together forever, loved that the author decided to forego the usual way parents are overlooked in teen books nowadays. I definatelly will be reading the next one. ...more
Kushnuma
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-freebies
Rumors is a prequel to Lingering Echoes and as I had already read that, I knew what was going to happen...

Despite that, there was a mini story because of which I managed to get hooked. We learn more about what happens between the death of Maddie and the next summer at Hidden Pines.

Overall, it was well written.
Andrea
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read Lingering Echoes first then went back to read this novella. It had an authentic feel to it. The high school intrigue was spot on as was the futility of all the high school drama. I also loved how it fleshed out the main character of Lingering Echoes. Glad I took the time to read this, too.
Carmel
This was a well written story about dealing with death, and the consequences of your actions. Erica Kiefer did a good job of developing the relationships between the characters in the story, and describing how they interacted and felt about one another. I look forward to reading more in the series. ...more
Mary Lee
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rumors is a fabulous prequel to Lingering Echoes that works as a novel on its own. The book is incredible! Kiefer's story is very real. In many ways her writing reminds me of Laurie Halse Anderson's. The story is billed as young adult but readers of all ages will enjoy it. ...more
Hendrix Eva
Grief and loss are so important to talk about, especially for adolescents. Brava for creating a strong, athletic character wrestling with really tough issues.

Favorite quotes:

"Hostile...I like it"

"Good morning, crazy girl"

Natalia
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

You can feel and understand the drama , dilemma and guilt Allie felt. Also you can see how everyone around try to sympathize but can never grasp the way she is feeling . Great narrative and plot.
Georgina Little
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazon
Tearjerker

Wow.... truly enjoyed this one. It was very relatable, well rounded, clearly written & like quicksand. Upon reading the first chapter to "check it out", I couldn't put it down. Don't start this one until you have an hour or so free!
Highly recommend to anyone over 12.
Katie
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
amazing insight on Allie. i loved each moment of this book. Erica gives us an amazing journey in Allie's life. great novella to read after or before the main book. ...more
Kirsti Call
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed rumors. I think Erica Kiefer does a really good job of showing the complex inner life of teenagers and making them likable despite their flaws!
Michele Skinner
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rumors was an awesome book. I loved the story line and can't wait to read Lingering Echos, which is next on my to read list! ...more
Janeandjerry
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EXCELLENT READ JUST TOO BAD IT HAD TO END SO SOON / THERE IS THE NEXT PART AT THE END OF THE BOOK THOUGH SO CAN'T WAIT TO GET STARTED ON IT... ...more
A. Powers
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story! I was in tears most of the time, but that's just proof of how well the story captured my emotions. Well done!!! ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
2015 Reading Chal...: Rumors by Erica Kiefer 1 7 Mar 14, 2015 12:35PM

• A Knead to Kill (Apple Orchard #1.5)
  • Her Dear and Loving Husband (Loving Husband, #1)
  • A Hero of Our Time
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • The Demon in the Wood (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Death and the King's Horseman: A Play
  • UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Dead Certain
  • Reached (Matched, #3)
  • The Anti-Boyfriend
  • The Burger Bar Mysteries Box Set
  • Never Goodbye (Broden Legal, #2)
  • The Best Friend (Broden Legal, #3)
  • This Won't End Well
  • The Courage To Love (Love On The North Shore, #1)
  • Mrs. Saint and the Defectives
  • The Bacon Burger Murder (A Sleepy Creek Cozy Mystery, #1)
  • MOLLY HACKER IS TOO PICKY!
Erica Kiefer’s debut novel Lingering Echoes was published by Clean Teen Publishing in November 2013. She continued the series with Rumors (A Lingering Echoes Prequel) and her newest release Vanishing Act. All of her books can be read as stand-alone contemporary YA fiction, touched with romance, emotional drama and suspense. With a degree in Recreation Therapy from Brigham Young University, Erica’s ...more

Lingering Echoes (1 books)
  • Lingering Echoes (Lingering Echoes, #1)