Start by marking “Pride, Prejudice, and Cheese Grits (Jane Austen Takes the South, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pride, Prejudice, and Cheese Grits (Jane Austen Takes the South, #1)

Pride, Prejudice, and Cheese Grits (Jane Austen Takes The South #1)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  1,286 Ratings  ·  254 Reviews
This hilarious Southern retelling of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice tells the story of two hard-headed Civil war historians who find that first impressions can be deceiving.

Shelby Roswell, a Civil War historian and professor, is on the fast track to tenure—that is, until her new book is roasted by the famous historian Ransom Fielding in a national review. With
Published June 10th 2014 by Howard Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Pride, Prejudice, and Cheese Grits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pride, Prejudice, and Cheese Grits

Margie Cool
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I actually read these out of order because the Emma book showed up in my Amazon feed first.
I don't know which one I like more!! This one is longer and Ransom is definitely more of a cranky, Alpha male. It was definitely a Pride and Prejudice remake, but not so much that it was boring. You could see all the characters (even her sisters and mom!) but I think she combined the bad guys into one. Unless I missed something?
Anyway, the Civil War details were really interesting and I kept thinking may
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Modern Adaptation, Christian (Inspirational) Fiction

SETTING: A small liberal arts university in present-day Mississippi

SERIES: Jane Austen Takes the South

MAIN CHARACTERS: Shelby Roswell (a Civil War professor – Elizabeth), Ransom Fielding (a visiting professor and acclaimed Civil War historian – Darcy), Aunt Junetta (Mrs. Gardiner) David Bishop (Mr. Collins and Mr. Wickham rolled up in one lovely little package!), Tasha (Caroline Bingley), and Rebecca (Shelby’s Jane Au
Vendethiel
To start, this book isn't really a retelling of "Pride and Prejudice," which is fine, but if you're expecting a retelling, just be aware it isn't. The book is more inspired by "Pride and Prejudice," meaning it has similarities in characters and scenes.

Let me start with what I liked: I liked the writing (save one exception, see the final note). The book was well written and flowed well. I didn't really feel like the conversations were forced or full of cliches. I didn't notice any major grammar o
Natalya
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fiction
While the premise was fun, the story was not written well. The was a was of feminist mumbo jumbo too that totally wasn't needed. The redemption aspect went way to quickly. There were also a lot of grammatical errors.
Arielle
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute and simple modern day take of Pride and Prejudice. I loved the southern touches, with history woven into the storyline. The main character was mature, strong, smart, funny, and I love how she talked to God throughout the book. It made it realistic and relatable. Of course I always loved Lizzie Bennet anyway so I am not surprised I liked this character! Thank heavens the main male character who was supposed to represent Mr. Darcy...was way better than Mr. Darcy! (I am one of those people w ...more
Summer Kinard
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe how much I loved this book. This is hands down the best modern adaptation of Pride and Prejudice I've read, and I read a LOT of Austen adaptations (both Regency and modern). This was the first time the heroine was smart enough to be a worthy successor to Elizabeth Bennet. The parallels were not overdrawn or trite, and the story would have been compelling even if it did not remind me of one of my favorite books. I love the way that faith played into the story - not forced at all, ...more
Kim
Having previously read and enjoyed another book in this series, Persuasion, Captain Wentworth, and Cracklin' Cornbread, I was eager to read this, the one that started it all!

As I expected, I seriously enjoyed it. Hathaway has a way of taking Austen's works and modernizing them without losing any of Austen's themes or deeper meaning. There are still discussions of the social classes, women's roles, and race. I like that Hathaway doesn't allow her characters to shy away from these issues. She make
Erin
I downloaded this book for free on Amazon. I'm totally one to judge a book by its cover, and wasn't impressed. However the story line seemed interesting so I took a risk and hit purchase.

Boy am I glad I did.

Loved the characters, the scenes and The fact that it WASN'T yet another spin on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Sure there were a some Austenesc scenes, but it wasn't so overwhelming that you felt you were reading Pride and Prejudice again.
Marisa Valle
I love most things Austen but there were two things that bothered me about this book. First, there should have been some kind of indication that this was "christian fiction". Second, the formatting was HORRIBLE. Someone desperately needs to edit this & re-format it because punctuation was missing and paragraphs & sentences were all over the place. I almost stopped reading it but I hate to leave a book unfinished. I don't think that I will be reading any more in this series.
Lucinda
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NayNay
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I have words to describe how wonderful this book is. The character's were great, the interaction between the main character's, Shelby and Ransom, was funny, frustrating, and cute. The secondary characters were such a part of the story that they were just as memorable as the main character. The story line was well written along with the scenery, it held alot of Southern Charm. I found myself racing through the pages to know what happens next.

I would recommend this book to anyone wh
Valerie Waters
This book might deserve more than 2 stars but since I don't have much time to read right now, when I do I want the book to be amazing. This one was not! There were so many editing errors that I was confused a lot and the lack of introductions of new people. There was more than once that I couldn't figure out how the person tied into the story.
Kristen
Jun 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A fun P&P modern-day twist. There was a few spots where I was confused, but not horribly so. Not a wow book, but a good read and I enjoyed it.

Moral Note: A couple of language, some talk about a "video" that gets leaked, not graphic.
Christine
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun, quick read. I cared about Shelby, the main character, and was satisfied with the ending. She had a very interesting career as a Civil War historian and it made me want to know more about it.
Miriam Reeves
Fun Read!
Geri
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit long and mentions religion a lot. No sex!

The story is still pretty good and I enjoyed it.
Michelle Slomp
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It is a nice take on the Pride and Prejudice story. It is fresh and entertaining.
Brooke -Brooke's Books
Cute story with take on Pride and Prejudice and references to the original story. Each chapter starts with a quote from the Austen classic.

This is a clean romance.
Rissi
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, review
If you’ve been a reader of my blog for any length of time, you know I’m pretty much game for any re-telling that has the name Jane Austen attached. Several of us have even had friendly debates about what works and what doesn’t. This Southern set series was one I saw on Amazon back when it was published independently, and it’s now getting reissues by HarperCollins and its Christian divisions Howard Books. The first in the series is, appropriately a spin (or perhaps more of an influenced story ins ...more
Alisa
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelby Roswell is a 29-year-old history professor. Her main ambition is tenure at the college where she teaches; her mother's main ambition is to marry her off.

Ransom Fielding is the man in her way. He wrote a scathing review of her book that was published in a magazine with a circulation of over 40 million! It seems like his only purpose in life is to ruin her career, and now she has to watch everyone fall all over him because the "esteemed" Ransom Fielding is teaching at her college for a term
Sheila Majczan
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was introduced to this author on the Austenesque Reviews blog. Reading the good comments there made me go to Amazon to read the reviews and then the sample. I usually read most, if not all, reviews before making a decision but in noting that there are 376 reviews I only read those of longer lengths. I was provided a free copy of this book by the author with no strings attached.

I opened this book up on a Sunday afternoon and could not put it down (despite missing a USA soccer game) so finished
Wealhtheow
Shelby is young but determined. She's passionate about the history of her hometown, and hopes that her articles will get people interested in the decaying splendor of the area. But then Ransom, a well known historian, rips her first book to shreds, and her hopes of tenure seem lost. To make matters worse, Ransom is taking his sabbatical at her very own university! Inevitably they run into each other, but to each other's surprise they have more in common than either expected.

I was impressed at th
Lauri
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this as a free download from Amazon. With so many of those I only get through the first couple of pages before I delete it from my kindle, but this book was a wonderful surprise. The characters were wonderfully developed and pretty true to the personalities Jane Austen gave to her characters in P&P. I loved that it was faith-based without being preachy like so many religious fiction books are, but the characters struggles were genuine and heartfelt. Its a clean, fun romance with a happ ...more
Erica Speare
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, clean
Funny, looks like one of those books you either love or hate. I don't write many reviews, but I loved this book. I loved the history and the characters and I didn't see any formatting issues in mine.
I know people are complaining because it's Christian, but it says that in the little description, and it's marked Christian on Amazon. Why is having a character pray so bad?
Anyway, loved, loved, LOVED this book. The Janeite in me wants to read it again right now!
Meredith Drake
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title of this book grabbed my attention and I also loved the cover. Set in the South, the book references Pride and Prejudice at the beginning of each chapter and also in some conversation among the characters. The story line also gives a nod to P&P as well. This was a fun read that I would recommend is you loved P&P!
Jannie
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am an Austen fanatic, so I totally enjoyed this. There were quite a few nods throughout to P&P, but the story was fresh and original. The characters were likeable and I found myself rooting for them to get together.
Cici
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clean-romance
Loved it! So much fun. The Pride and Prejudice homage really worked updated and set int the South. Clean romance which worked!
Liz
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: p-p-retellings
Really liked it, clean too! Looking forward to the Emma story.
Christine Jensen
Got this as a free kindle downloaded And was pleasantly surprised! This was a nice, clean romance, set in the south. I will be keeping my eyes open for more in the series.
Bekki Fahrer
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Was pretty good as Jane Austen fan fiction goes :)
Play Book Tag: Pride, Prejudice and Cheese Grits by Mary Jane Hathaway - 3 stars 2 12 Oct 23, 2016 08:08AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 11, 2015 12:55PM
Christian Fiction...: Hi all! 1 15 Feb 09, 2013 11:42PM
Jane Austen: new Austen book 1 29 Jan 23, 2013 11:44PM
  • Pirates and Prejudice
  • Becoming Elizabeth Darcy
  • Echoes of Pemberley
  • Darcy's Decision (Given Good Principles #1)
  • Pride's Prejudice
  • The Journey
  • One Thread Pulled: The Dance with Mr. Darcy
  • Pemberley Ranch
  • First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice
  • The Houseguest: A Pride and Prejudice Vagary
  • Darcy's Dilemma (A Fair Prospect, #2)
  • Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker
  • Searching for Captain Wentworth
  • Unequal Affections: A Pride and Prejudice Retelling
  • If the Shoe Fits
About the Author: Mary Jane Hathaway is the pen name of an award-nominated writer who spends the majority of her literary energy on subjects un-related to Jane Austen. A homeschooling mother of six young children who rarely wear shoes, she’s madly in love with a man who has never read Pride and Prejudice. She holds degrees in Religious Studies and Theoretical Linguistics, and has a Jane Austen quo ...more
More about Mary Jane Hathaway...

Jane Austen Takes The South (3 books)
  • Emma, Mr. Knightley, and Chili-Slaw Dogs (Jane Austen Takes the South, #2)
  • Persuasion, Captain Wentworth and Cracklin' Cornbread (Jane Austen Takes the South, #3)

“Jane Austen would be so proud. Another girl trussed up for a fancy party."
"On the contrary, she'd be horrified. All that skin. You'd need about another five yards of material.”
1 likes