Start by marking “Christmas in Cowboy Country” as Want to Read:
Christmas in Cowboy Country

Christmas in Cowboy Country

The greatest gift is love...

Ski instructor Annie Bennett doesn't have time to miss the twinkling lights and holiday parties in Aspen and Vail. With her older brothers gone and winter just around the corner, her parents need help with their sprawling Colorado ranch. The most wonderful time of the year isn't always easy for a lot of the folks in their town, but Annie does he
Published September 30th 2014 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas in Cowboy Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas in Cowboy Country

Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
DNF @ 45%

I got a copy of this book through netgalley in exchange of an honest review..

I don't know where to start with this book. I was really hoping to enjoy it, Christmas + Cowboy = Yes please!

Unfortunately it did not turn out to be what I expected.

I don't feel this book accurately portrayed Janet Dailey's writing, which is a shame that it ended up being the last book published from her. I found myself completely lost with this story and had a hard time paying attention. It was slow and very
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Pleasant predictable seasonal romance.
Alima Livzletlivz
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
I grew up on Janet Dailey’s books published via Mills & Boon. She was one of my favorite authors and it was a monthly ritual to raid a bookstore for her books. I’ve enjoyed her Bannon Brothers Series and the Calder Series and have enjoyed them.

Her latest “Christmas In Cowboy Country” (Bennett Series), is unfortunately a disappointment for me. Considering that Janet Dailey is no more, and am guessing that someone else’s completed her unfinished works. I can definitely see the difference in th
JoAnne
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Enjoyable read by a favorite author. Some suspense along with romance but needed a few more chapters or an epilogue for better closure. There was a happily ever after. Lots of family and friends in a small town set at Christmas with all the pageants and festivities associated with one along with helpful neighbors and friends.
Jonel
Oct 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
What an intriguing novel. Dailey tells a suspenseful, romantic tale, while remaining low key and approachable. The suspense in this tale is of a low key variety. It’s the type where you know what’s going on and want to shout it at the characters. Take this and set it in an immaculately developed world where you can picture yourself in the snow alongside the characters and you have a fantastic read. That said, there were a few times where I found the story jumping around. One second you were in o ...more
Marilyn Miles
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoy any Janet Daily book, and particularly the Christmas ones. Even though it took me over a month to read, because of a move and illness in the family, I kept the book with me and could pick it up anytime and get back into the story.
Katie
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I debated on this one - 3 or 4? In the end, if you picked this up, you probably weren't looking for serious literature. It's your typical warm, fuzzy, cheesey-Hallmark-Christmas-movie type book. A heartwarming easy read.
Jane
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great holiday romance with a little mystery thrown in.
Lynda
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, romance
Sheri
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
My MIL found this at a thriftstore and then I proceeded to steal it from her. It is a cute story, the perfect thing to read to help you out of a reading slump, however, the end was kinda quick. That's my one complaint.
Mande Garrett
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loves the story. Detrmination and romance.
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Cute story. Definitely in the heartwarming category rather than the steamy category. It felt a bit too traditional for me at times, so I lost interest by the end.
Sara
My first Dailey read, Christmas in Cowboy Country was a welcome holiday romance. Lush, snowy scenes and a hero who isn't quite what he appears to be, a family woven together realistically and lovingly, all combined to make a wonderful Christmas read. The writing was well done, the characters were more complex than I anticipated, and the ending was oh-so-romantic.
Vera
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Annie is at home with her parents for a short break. Her first meeting not top pleasant with Stone. Her Dad tells him to get off their property, he was surveying.

But she wants to know more about Stone. Really don't tell her much about himself. Know there is more to Stone that he is letting on.

Enjoyed very much. Added bonus a Christmas Story. Would recommend to others.

Pansy
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have been a Janet Daily fan for a lot of years, so I was quite excited when Christmas in Cowboy Country came up for review. It has been a while since I have read one of hers.

Christmas in Cowboy Country features Marshal Stone and Annie Bennett. I figured out real quick that Marshal wasn’t “just a surveyor.” Pretty much for the same reasons that Annie did. He was hot, but oh so non-communicative. How frustrating. One had the feeling he was good and should be trusted but, there were so many quest
Judy
Janet Dailey is one of the iconic writers of the western romance. I read in an interview that she was one of the first American authors to be signed to England based Harlequin romance and helped create the strong, independent leading ladies we all know and love today. And that's what this book was about: stong, independent ladies. This is the story of the romance of Annie Bennett and Marshall Stone, mostly yes. But it's all the story of Nell Dighton, Elsie Pearson, Cilla Rivers and Bree Rivers. ...more
Rhonda
Aug 16, 2014 rated it liked it

3 stars

I have not read a Janet Dailey book in a long time. I liked it. I wanted to see more of Annie and Marshall together more. I really liked Annie and the small town feel of the book. Getting to know the characters.

Annie Bennett was a ski instructor who is back home recovering from a bad broken leg. She is the youngest of three children. She is single almost healed now. There are not a lot of single men in town.

Marshall Stone has secrets he is hiding. He likes Annie but he is seen by her
Carolyn Jenkins
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Small Town Living

I expected a sentimental Christmas story. I got a crime story instead. The main characters, Annie and Marshall, had several misunderstandings because Marshall was undercover. The main subplot held all the sentimentality any reader could want. I enjoyed the story.
Bernie
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christmas in Cowboy Country is a sweet romance written by author Janet Dailey.
Clare O'Beara
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: america-romance
Despite the cover we do not meet horses. Colorado does get snow however, and a young ranch daughter has been working as an Aspen ski instructor, but now is mending a broken leg. Her father turns a surveyor off their land - the neighbouring rancher is always trying to extend his property line.

Property is the main bone of contention through this book as town encroaches further every year, ranchers find it hard to make a living and dodgy deals are afoot with sneaky developers and gullible older pe
Psusan
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Christmas in Cowboy Country is the first book I have read by Janet Dailey. I liked the sweet romance book but would have enjoyed more of the ranch life being shown. However, small town life is well portrayed which is a delight to read. Annie is a likable caring soul that did rather seemed like the youngest sibling in the family. Marshall is a harder read since he has secrets. However, when they were together in scenes it is lovely.

This is not a nail biting can’t put down read, but it is not a ba
Jessica Alcazar
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
What in the world did I just read? ... is all that keeps popping in my head after reading this short story. Ok, so there's a man from Wyoming (which could be considered cowboy country) but the story takes place in Colorado (I don't see that as cowboy country, but that could just be me. There is a ranch, but what exactly was the problem that drove Annie home to 'help', I haven't a clue. No drama there that I could read. SO basically the title didn't match the story AT ALL. Was Marshall really a c ...more
Marinella
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas, romance
Janet Dailey is an author that I was reading in my youth. So, I have been very pleased to have received a title from her publisher to give back a review.

Janet Dailey has an unquestionable talent, mostly used here to picture the life in a little community, the interactions in family life, the awkward and sometimes difficult first steps in love.

The story is simple, but sweet. The characters are well defined and their relationship develops in a very realistic way. There aren't sizzling, epic moment
Margaret
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is different then the ones I usually read. But that was a good thing. I fell in love with this book.
Annie moved back home to recover from a broken leg and during the holidays she helped out her town any way she could.
Stone is in the town as an undercover agent who is there to catch someone.
While our two characters find each other attractive, Annie thinks Stone is a womanizer. Stone tries not to follow his attractiveness cause he thinks he will move on to the next assignment.
The end of
Diane Tanner
Dec 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
I was looking forward to reading this over the Christmas holidays, and really hoped to enjoy it. While the book did have its moments, on the whole I found it very slow and at times, boring.

I didn't feel any chemistry between the two main characters, and I almost gave up on the story half way through, but I stuck with it. This was the first book I've ever read by Janet Dailey, and sadly it hasn't inspired me to read another one.

I don't like to give a negative review, but this book just didn't do
Kipi
Dec 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
I've always been a fan of Janet Dailey, but this book is so incredibly dull that it's hard for me to believe she actually wrote this book. Annie is supposed to be a 28-year-old woman, but she reminds me more of a whiny 18-year-old. There is absolutely no chemistry between Annie and Marshall. There is no cowboy. There is very little Christmas. There is a horse on the cover. There is no horse in the book. There is a dog, and he's the most interesting character in the book. There are too many other ...more
Carrie
Jun 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
Spoilers.

There is no cowboy. There is a guy who dresses like a cowboy.
The cover has a guy on a horse. I do not remember a horse in the story.
It takes place in a town in Colorado.
A reader has to make some pretty big leaps of belief to follow what little storyline there is.
Dailey's use of the term smartphone belies her age.

I could go on, but that would be pointless. I read the book all the way through, always thinking it would get better. It did not.

I used to love her books. This made me sad to
Dani C. (Paulette's Papers)
I am not one to leave negative reviews but I am just baffled at how this story went. It was like a train wreck, and I couldn’t look away. I thought the premise was interesting but the writing… so much of the book didn’t make sense. It didn’t flow and just felt awkward at times.

I think I am just surprised that a Christmas in Cowboy Country is being published. I am assuming that this book just hadn’t been edited before Ms. Dailey passed away and that is the reason it is the way it is. This is sad
Barbi
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Once again, I am a sucker for a Christmas love story! This was no exception. I love a good love story especially when it involves a tall, good-looking cowboyish fellow. I enjoyed watching both Annie and Marshall as they fought to keep their feelings for one another at bay. I also enjoyed the addition of Rowdy, Marshall's dog, who sounded like an interesting character in himself. This was a very quick and enjoyable read.
Julie
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Christmas in Cowboy country wasn't exactly what I expected from Janet Dailey based on her past western based romances. The characters were believable and likeable, but didn't seem to have the depth that Dailey's usually do. Typically, her characters are the ones I'm sad to let go of at the end of the book, and these I probably won't really think about again. A little more Christmas in a Christmas titled novel might have been nice as well. Will look forward to her next book, as always.
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Texas Christmas
  • Santa Baby
  • His Mistletoe Bride (The Stanton Family, #4)
  • A Highlander Christmas
  • About Adam (Mayfair Square, #5)
  • Mistletoe Kisses
  • A Prairie Christmas Collection
  • Home on the Range (Double S Ranch #2)
  • Cowboy Christmas (Wild West Weddings, #1)
  • Trouble When You Walked In
  • Sleigh Belles (Sassy Belles, #3)
  • Christmas with a Vampire
  • The Pretty Ones (Kate Reid #6)
  • Baby, It's Cold Outside
  • An Intimate Murder (Catherine O'Brien Mystery #3)
  • Christmas at Sea Pines Cottage
  • A Rocky Mountain Christmas (Christmas, #2)
  • Sweet Magik (Klaus Brothers, #2)
Janet Anne Haradon Dailey was an American author of numerous romance novels as Janet Dailey (her married name). Her novels have been translated into nineteen languages and have sold over 300 million copies worldwide.

Born in 1944 in Storm Lake, Iowa, she attended secretarial school in Omaha, Nebraska before meeting her husband, Bill. Bill and Janet worked together in construction and land developme