Start by marking “Baking Chez Moi: Recipes from My Paris Home to Your Home Anywhere” as Want to Read:
Baking Chez Moi: Recipes from My Paris Home to Your Home Anywhere

Baking Chez Moi: Recipes from My Paris Home to Your Home Anywhere

A “culinary guru” and author of the award-winning Around My French Table and Baking: From My Home to Yours returns with an exciting collection of simple desserts from French home cooks and chefs

With her groundbreaking bestseller Around My French Table, Dorie Greenspan changed the way we view French food. Now, in Baking Chez Moi, she explores the fascinating world of French
Published October 28th 2014 by Rux Martin/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Baking Chez Moi, please sign up.
TKHoang The ladyfingers and sponge cake. It's hard to know where to start.

Anie
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can already tell that this is going to be one of those cookbooks---the one's that you're constantly pulling from the shelf, that no matter how hard you try to keep them clean, they always end up spattered with batter and chocolate, that end up with tabbed pages everywhere...

This is a collection of easy French recipes, the sorts that people bake at home, and it is a fantastic collection. Many of the desserts are, of course, still beautiful (though not requiring the level of skill required for w
Karen Witzler
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
You can read this book while dieting because the recipes are so detailed you feel like you've been there and eaten.
Shana
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't know why it hadn’t occurred to me before that Goodreads would list cookbooks. Um, they’re books, Shana. Duh.

Well, I’m so glad they do.

Now it is totally weird to say I read a cookbook because a cookbook isn’t like a novel, where you generally need to read cover to cover to legitimately say you read it. A cookbook is a different animal, but one worth reviewing nonetheless. So let me begin by saying I haven’t read every word or tried every recipe. I’ve browsed and read a good bit of it, and
Hope
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
My father gave this to me for Christmas last year, and it is one of the only cookbooks I have that I want to cook every single recipe. I have baked quite a few recipes so far, and all have turned out pretty well, or fantastic. Greenspan's directions are clear and concise, and she is endlessly reassuring.
Miss Clark
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking-baking
This book was probably unintentionally amusing. I made random family members listen to me read aloud from it and several of them completely lost it. I would direct you to the note on Salt or the granola recipe to get an idea of why that is.

Although it is a collection of simple French recipes, they are still a bit fussier than many an American cook may be used to preparing.

My favourites:
Plain and Simple Almond Cake*
Apple Weekend Cake
Fluted Carrot-Tangerine Cake
Rhubarb Upside-Down Brown Sugar Cake
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Dorie, how I admire and adore you. This is my favorite of her books thus far! Every page made me squeal and sigh and dream about cooking my way through the book. An outstanding, classic-but-with-twists, lovely book.
Liz De Coster
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
As always lovely recipes from Greenspan, but as always sometimes a little intimidating.
Lynette
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
On one hand, the technical information in the book is abundant and invaluable coming from Dorie Greenspan. On the other hand, I really value lots and lots of pictures in my cookbooks, and this one is lacking in that department. At one point I read through 11 recipes without a single photo--not even one of the wee ones they sometimes stick at the top near the names of the recipe. That was super disappointing to me, especially when I've learned so much from Greenspan in other formats. Still, it's ...more
Katrina
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
It's a very big, heavy book, and quite wordy, (but lovely photos) - but then I'm an experienced cook/baker. The one thing I wished had been included, were photos of all the recipes - several recipes only have directions. I will probably not buy it, but borrow from the library when I'm feeling in the mood for trying a new recipe. Clearly, she is an experienced and talented baker, and I look forward to learning a thing or two from this book.
jack
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dorie Wins Again!

Dorie Greenspan is a genius at provided excellent recipes with clear instructions. The results are always consistently good and great looking. The bonus bon idees provided options that make the recipes more versatile so that each time you produce something a bit different. In addition, these recipes are not elaborate and time-consuming, many of which can be made at least the day before the planned event. Highly recommended.
Barbara
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my word! It's a good thing you can't gain weight reading about food, surely I would have gained ten pounds if you could! I didn't make any of the recipes, borrowed it from the library, but the instructions are clear even for someone who is an inexperienced baker.
Karyn
A great baking cookbook!
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tart crust twice, lime curd and meringue once - all delectable - sold!
Allison Henle
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A physically gorgeous book, with very clear directions and delicious outcomes. I've enjoyed everything I've baked from the book.
Ellen
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some good recipes and some nice photos.
Yaaresse
I got this as a library e-book loan. Unfortunately, the only electronic version they had was restricted to the (hated) Axis360 reading app. I shake my fist at that buggy, clunky, annoying app. Long story short, I was able to read most of the text, but not make anything because the app scrambles the ingredient lists so badly that the amounts are over-typed by the name of the ingredient, rendering the list illegible. I went on Amazon, downloaded a sample of the Kindle version, and it was perfect. ...more
Michelle
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Gorgeous. Lush. Delectable. Magnifique! I could run out of adjectives. This book is amazing. The recipes are amazing---French family recipes, mostly, not ones that take three days to make. They are more complicated than many American recipes, but I have a feeling a lot of them are worth it. Some ingredients are not going to show up in small towns in Iowa :-) but who cares. Just looking at the pictures and reading the commentary are worth it. If a cook even managed to add two or three of these to ...more
Carol
I sat in Barnes and Noble with a cup of hot tea a couple of days ago and I must have read at least half of this cookbook. I couldn't wait to get home and order from Amazon (great savings). I am already familiar with Dorie's amazing and beautifully written recipes. They give you every detail necessary to reproduce her creations and she usually gives you ideas of variations and possible additions to them as well. I so want to make the Limoncello cupcakes and I do plan to add the orange marmalade t ...more
Lisa Urso
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads, cookbooks
Oh, Dorie Greenspan.

Ooooohhhhh, Dorie Greenspan.

Where have you BEEN my whole life?

This book was like a rich dessert--I could only nibble a bit at a time. But, like a rich dessert, it was sooo good.

Every recipe is decadent, and can be replicated in the home kitchen. I really want to make those Nutella-filled cupcakes. And the caramelized Rice Crispies. And the apple crumble. And the chocolate ice cream.

The photography is amazing. I wanted to lick the pages. And go to France and hang out in her ki
Pixie
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If I had all the time in the world and didn't mind doubling my weight, I would try making pretty much every recipe in this book. In addition to her excellent recipes, the author tells stories about her experiences moving to France and learning about the French way of baking and eating. As she made friends, they would share their own recipes, and also offer their opinions about which things they would buy but never make themselves, although Greenspan herself would never shy away from a challenge. ...more
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully photographed book and everything in it looks delicious. Her discussion of each recipe, hints and ideas are spot on. This could be a coffee table book, though her instructions are very detailed and clear - you could cook from this easily. But most of the recipes are very involved, many taking a few days to prepare. Obviously that's not all prep time, but most of these are too involved for me to bake right now.

But this is great for ideas, and explanations of what some of thes
Eling
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, 2015
Dorie Greenspan's earlier book, Baking: From My Home to Yours, is my current go-to for baking, and has yet to fail me, but I think Baking Chez Moi may be even better. I will definitely be adding it to my cookbook library.

And my recurring missing feature: I would give it 5 stars if it just had more photos. That is always my ideal cookbook, a photo for each recipe, but I want it even more in this case because many of the recipes are for items that I am not familiar with.

Still, if you are a baker
Tracy
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Many many many desserts from the plain to the fancy. As is my usual routine, I will completely copy yet another recipe for an almond cake as well as two more recipes for something similar to pound / sponge cake (which the French call "weekend cakes"). I love plain cakes without icing. I have trouble with iced / layer cakes and always do so much better with a plain, un-iced cake.

This is a long, heavy book with many photos and lots of backstory on the recipes. I might like to own it one day, but
Jennie
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Artists go through their blue period, I'm going through my Paris phase.

I liked the "fancy cakes" section.

The inset of the book has a picture of the Pink Grapefruit Tart which makes my mouth water. Stained Glass Cookies (my childhood favourite) and Rhubarb Upside Down Brown Sugar Cake sound delicious.

Perfect gift for someone who loves to entertain or for yourself.

Check it out!
Shari Greenman
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Do you ever really finish reading a cook book? I think not. I love Dorie Greenspan for baking and desserts. She's like the aunt I don't get to spend enough time with but bothered to write it all down. All of her recipes are tested and well thought out. Never any weird results. She is truly the queen of baking and sweets for me.
Asta
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
Dorie Greenspan is a gift to the world. Get this book.
Even if you've never make so much as a batch of chocolate chip cookies, Greenspan will seduce you with gorgeous pictures and intimate glimpses into her life and then talk you through all the steps involved in making a bit of baking magic for yourself.
Ashley
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh my...this cookbook made me hungry and I totally wish I had more baking space because I would be making a lot of these recipes (one day). There were pictures for everything and it was just a really great cookbook.
pati
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A cookbook worth its weight in gold! I am seriously considering buying this one for myself. The recipes are simple and used weights as well as the American measures for ingredients. Many interesting tidbits about the cookies, pies and cakes as well as delicious recipes!
Kim
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think any baking cookbook could outshine *Baking: From My Home to Yours* also by Dorie Greenspan, but this book managed it! Some great, easy, straightforward (but still delicious and fancy-looking) recipes. Wonderful.
Katya
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baking, cookbooks
Haven't really baked from it yet, will share any favorites or flops, but I'm very very happy that a Dorie book finally offers weight measures!
  • The Baking Bible
  • A Boat, a Whale & a Walrus: Menus and Stories
  • Flour, Too: Indispensable Recipes for the Cafe's Most Loved Sweets & Savories
  • Huckleberry: Recipes, Stories, and Secrets from Our Kitchen
  • Canal House Cooks Every Day
  • The Heart of the Plate: Vegetarian Recipes for a New Generation
  • Taste of Persia: A Cook's Travels Through Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Iran, and Kurdistan
  • Sarabeth's Bakery: From My Hands to Yours
  • Milk Street: Tuesday Nights: More than 200 Simple Weeknight Suppers that Deliver Bold Flavor, Fast
  • The Four & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book: Uncommon Recipes from the Celebrated Brooklyn Pie Shop
  • Twelve Recipes
  • First Prize Pies: Shoo-Fly, Candy Apple, and Other Deliciously Inventive Pies for Every Week of the Year (and More)
  • Martha Stewart's Cakes: Our First-Ever Book of Bundts, Loaves, Layers, Coffee Cakes, and more
  • Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream Desserts
  • The Violet Bakery Cookbook
  • Joy the Baker Homemade Decadence: Irresistibly Sweet, Salty, Gooey, Sticky, Fluffy, Creamy, Crunchy Treats
  • Food52 Baking
  • The Slanted Door: Modern Vietnamese Food
Called a culinary guru by the New York Times, Dorie Greenspan is the author of the James Beard Awardwinning Baking: From My Home to Yours, which inspired the creation of the online baking community Tuesdays with Dorie. She has been passionately involved with French food for the last three decades. With Pierre Herm, she wrote Desserts by Pierre Herm, winner of an IACP Cookbook of the Year Award, an ...more