Start by marking “House Corrino (Prelude to Dune #3)” as Want to Read:
House Corrino (Prelude to Dune #3)

House Corrino

(Prelude to Dune #3)

The triumphant conclusion to the blockbuster trilogy that made science fiction history!

In Dune: House Corrino Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson bring us the magnificent final chapter in the unforgettable saga begun in Dune: House Atreides and continued in Dune: House Harkonnen.

Here nobles and commoners, soldiers and slaves, wives and courtesans shape the amazing destiny
Published August 27th 2002 by Spectra Books (first published October 2nd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about House Corrino, please sign up.
Adna
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of House Corrino (Prelude to Dune #3)
Markus
Buddy read with Athena!

Though grand events could take place in the politics of the Imperium, the desert itself never changed.

That sentence beautifully summarises this whole series. The houses are fighting wars in the shadows. Assassins are striking unknowing targets. Planets are being bombarded. People are born, and people die. But Arrakis… Dune… the desert… never changes.

House Corrino is a great conclusion to a great prequel trilogy. I had not expected this kind of enjoyment at the start of the
Chris Blocker
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: Carlos Velez
“A roundtable discussion leading up to the publication of Dune: House Crappito ” (April 2001):

Publisher: Welcome gentlemen. So we've read the draft for the fifth novel in your Prelude to Dune series, and we'd like—

Anderson: Third actually.

Publisher: Excuse me?

Herbert: It's the third in the series.

Marketer: I believe they're right.

Publisher: God, it certainly felt longer. Anyway, the third book you've written building on your father's classic work.

Editor: Will this be the last?

Herbert: The las
Athena Shardbearer
Buddy Read with Markus!

BOOM! DONE! Loved it!!
Timothy Boyd
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Dune series by Frank Herbert was an awesome read when I was younger but i always felt that the story started in the middle of the epic. There was just to much back history referenced that I wanted to know. Well His son has made all that incredible history into an awesome prequel set. if you liked Dune you will love these. My Highest recommendation
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
There are contradictions and retcons abound in this book. Originally, Elrood had ruled for 34 years, not 138 as this trilogy claimed. Ix was ruled by a group, not House Vernius.

If Frank Herbert had decided to write a precursor to Dune, he could easily have done so in one book, not three. The drama between Leto, Kailea, their son (not Paul! Gasp!), and Rhombur was unnecessary filler, and the Baron is portrayed in this book as a rabid woman-hating man where in Dune he had been hinted at being gay,
Chris Gager
I guess I might as well wrap this up. This is the third book my brother-in-law loaned me because I'm a Dune fan. The first two were the first two books(pre-Dune chronology) of the second trilogy written by these guys. The third book should have been "The Battle of Corrin," but he gave me this instead. The second trilogy(pre-Dune chronology) was the first one written by Herbert and Anderson and this is the third book in THAT trilogy. In other words, this stuff is all happening in the immediate pa ...more
Shelly - The Illustrated Librarian -
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any Dune fan
Shelves: sci-fi
Dune is one of my all-time favorite books, and this is a great addition to the canon.

It's so exciting to learn the histories of the well-loved characters of Dune. Brian Herbert's writing style is very similar to his father's, so the book (and the whole prequel trilogy) doesn't seem out of place in the Dune universe.

This last volume in the prequel trilogy brings the reader up to the original Dune novel. Story lines are tied up here. Leto and Jessica discover their true love, and Jessica takes a
Davien Thomas
Oct 02, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with Frank Herbert's universe, and the way he allowed the characters, the theme, and the implications of various technological advances to change and adapt over time to paint a broader story across his books.

So, I thought I would give the "prequels" that were co-authored by his son a chance. However, not only did this book fail to capture anything relevant of the universe, but it managed to almost feel juvenile in comparison.

The characters were shallow, the dialog was lacking, and
Zak
Aug 28, 2007 rated it did not like it
This book is a piece of minor evil.

A bad writer taking a world of such power and dignity, and using it to write a hack job political thriller. Just an awful book filled with broad caricatures of characters, dumb plot, and heavy handed writing.

Really a disgusting thing.
James
May 10, 2007 rated it did not like it
These books are complete trash and the writers should be embarrassed to be shitting on Dune's legacy.
Meg
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
This book sucks. I hardly even want to waste my time writing more of a review since I already wasted my time reading it, but I'll try. I love the original Dune series and I wish that Brian would have just left his father's legacy alone. Though it is sad that Frank passed away before he could finish the whole series, I'd rather have it that way than with all this inane garbage added in. These books (the house trilogy) read like find/replace highschool level scifi writing.

==Spoilers==

I was so gla
Lois
This is the first of the books written by BH and KJA that just totally ignores Canon. Sigh. None the less I enjoy the expanded universe.
Richard Radgoski
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps it's the fact that I read many of the original Dune novels in the 80's and waited almost 30 years to return to Arrakis, but I found the entire Prelude trilogy to be excellent. I really enjoyed revisiting the world and many of the characters will finally meet in the kickoff novel Dune. More than that, we see the origins of so very many of them. We know who will eventually be in that novel, but we don't know their story -- and now I do. Some might say the events of the books are contrived ...more
Elwin Kline
Aug 18, 2020 rated it did not like it
As much as I love the Dune universe, this is just terrible.

One thing I significantly dislike are "erase buttons." My go-to example of this are magic chairs, like the one found in The Flash series, where an entire season of content is wiped in a single moment. This technique makes what you have spent many hours/days reading all go away in a single paragraph and wipes the slate clean. This makes me cringe more often than not, and it makes the whole experience seem like a waste and actions that ch
John Shumway
Nov 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
*Same review for the Dune Universe*
GREAT books! VERY time consuming! Worth the time!

Ok here is the deal. If your not sure about starting a series this big, here is what I would do.
1. -- Read the 1st one by Frank Herbert "Dune" if you like it...

2. -- Read the "Legends Of Dune" series. Its 3 books written by Frank's son Brian and a author I really like by the name of Keven J. Anderson. Its a prequel that is so far in the past that it doesn't spoil the Original Dune series in any way, and you could
Dark-Draco
It's been a few days since I finished reading this and I have to say that the story is already starting to fade away. That said, I really enjoyed reading it at the time and decided it is definitely the best of the 'Preludes' I have read so far.

All the scheming that the Harkonnen's and Corrino's have done so far, comes to a crashing conclusion in this book, while the Atriedes' come across as the heroes, which is just as well really! As with the other books in the series, it isn't just as simple a
bella
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
House Corrino is the final book in the House trilogy and takes the reader on a journey of the events leading up to pinnacle of the Dune saga series, Dune.

Jessica is pregnant with Duke Leto's son and had gone against Bene Gesserit's orders and had a boy instead of a girl. Has she wrecked centuries of breed programs? Rhombur is finally ready to re-take Ix. Will he triumph with all of Atreides military force or will the evil, disgusting Bene Theiluxu triump again? And Shaddam is settling into his
Tresuiri
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Daniel
Sep 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Not too bad, it finishes the House saga. Nothing is as good as the originals. But, like Star Trek, the stuff that came later could be good too, just different and opposed by purists to the franchise. Like all the non-Frank Herbert books, it lacks the scale and character of the original series. One of the more jarring aspects of this book, for me, is the pacing. Up until about page 500 or so the book follows a leisurely pace, then, all of a sudden, everything seems to happen at once. Some of the ...more
Kerri
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm glad this is the last of the prequels. They are good in their own right, but I am definitely ready to move on to the real stuff.

The series dragged on for longer than it probably needed to. There was some decent action in this book, but most of it came hurriedly at the end. Much more interesting I think are the books of the Butlerian Jihad. The House Series is more like an appetizer for what is to come.

If you are looking for something to pass the time, then this book, and the whole series, i
Casey
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really did enjoy the first two books of this prequel trilogy. Were they perfect, no? But they were better than House Corrino by far. I found myself always having something better to do than read this book. I found that until the last 100 pages I could easily put it down. And the last 100 was more of a "I can finally finish this" rather than it being actually interesting.

So while in general I would recommend the Prelude series, you could (and probably should) just read a summary of events for t
Ghola
Aug 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Pretty good. The third in the series. It lead the reader up to 15 years before Frank Herbert's first Dune book. Some things were not quite as resolved as I would have liked, but I recognize this is hard with an expansive series like Dune.
Steven  Wetter
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like the fact of knowing a bit more about the Corrino House even they seemed a bit inconsequential in the original series. I was way more interested in the parts of Hasimir Fenring. Great story and keeps up with the tradition of the Dune saga.
Jeremy Michael Gallen
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rebecca
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-sw-sci-fi
The third in the Prelude to Dune series, I'm not sure it would be possible for a reader to understand House Corrino without having first read House Atreides and House Harkonnen as there is no recap/catch-up at the start of this final installment. It took me a while to find a copy of House Corrino after reading Harkonnen, but once I started reading, the events of the previous two novels came back to memory easily enough.

Scientists are testing a synthetic form of spice in the hope that it can put
Jorge de la Vega
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fitting end to a rather maligned series (as has been every piece of Dune not written by Frank Herbert himself, because purist fanbases simply can't help but be, well, purists), but all in all a worthwhile read, entertaining and informative about a whole different side of the Dune universe not particularly explored in the original books. Political intrigue was not, I daresay, Frank Herbert's strong suit. He was all about the theological conflict contrasted with the heroic myth despite having cr ...more
Aaron Burke
Nov 03, 2020 rated it liked it
I like Kevin J. Anderson's smooth writing style. He delivers, explains the backstory with interesting , driven characters. My only complaint regarding this well-done prequel series, is that...
The Harkonnens are two-dimensional. The Harkonnens are ridiculously sadistic and hedonistic. They just lust and devour, giving nothing, feeling nothing, like damned burnt out suicidals. No one would follow them. They would be overthrown quickly, within a generation.
Much like Sauron from the Lord of the Ri
Lora Shouse
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This third book of the series of prequels to the original Dune series is a satisfying tapestry of politics, intrigue, and action leading to the birth of Paul Atreides and the settling down of the turmoil that has been the Imperium throughout the three-book series. Of course, the new calm and order will only be temporary we know, as more mayhem and disorder will break out at the point where the original Dune novel begins.

As it happens, pretty much everybody has declared war on everybody else. Th
Katy
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm not quite sure why there are so many reviewers that seem to hate this book. I've just finished it, and found it a wonderful precursor to Frank Herbert's Dune!

As a follow-on from House Atriedes, and House Harkonnen, I absolutely loved that this tied up all the ends, and answered all the questions that kept occuring to me, ever since I first read Dune, and every time I've re-read it since!

I'm now going to go on with re-reading Dune once more, with the confidence of being able to understand so
Cathy Skipworth
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Corrino's have been ruling the empire for over 1000 years since before the Butlerian Jihad, the name Corrino was adopted after victory at the battle of Corrin. Their rule has been one of greed, tyranny, incompetance and selfishness. The Corrino's seem to have prided themselves in holding on to their power at all costs and any hint at competition is met with violence.

Emperor Shaddam IV like his ancestors before him rules only to better his own standing but eventually things have to catch up w
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Chapterhouse: Dune (Dune Chronicles, #6)
  • Heretics of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #5)
  • God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #4)
  • Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #3)
  • Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2)
  • The Road to Dune
  • Dune (Dune, #1)
  • Destination Void
  • The Godmakers
  • The Voyage of the Space Beagle
  • Hellstrom's Hive
  • Enemies & Allies
  • The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge (Stainless Steel Rat, #5)
  • Monte's Marines (Dark Court, #2)
  • The Salvatore Marriage (Foreign Affairs)
  • Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson: Moon Called
  • Obsession Untamed (Feral Warriors, #2)
  • Passion Untamed (Feral Warriors, #3)
Brian Patrick Herbert is an American author who lives in Washington state. He is the elder son of science fiction author Frank Herbert.

Prelude to Dune (3 books)
  • House Atreides (Prelude to Dune #1)
  • House Harkonnen (Prelude to Dune #2)

News & Interviews

“The first step in innovation is to know that a thing can be created. After that, the rest is a matter of detail.” 21 likes
“Simplicity is the most difficult of all concepts.” 10 likes