Start by marking “Henry and the Paper Route” as Want to Read:
Henry and the Paper Route

Henry and the Paper Route

(Henry Huggins #4)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  5,843 ratings  ·  169 reviews
Ten-year-old Henry Huggins wants a paper route, but unfortunately all applicants have to be at least eleven. Undaunted, Henry sets out to show the boss he can do the job, no matter how many obstacles stand in the way. And, of course, difficulties immediately begin popping up everywhere. Everything he tries backfires, and then the neighborhood's new genius moves in and take ...more
Published April 15th 1980 by Yearling (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Henry and the Paper Route, please sign up.

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Henry and the Paper Route
Sophie Crane
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a funny story that I enjoyed reading when I was much younger. A bit of nostalgia. This copy is a slightly updated version as the original was set in the 50s.
Tatevik Najaryan
I wish I had an opportunity to read the series when I was 10. At that age my only books were fairy tales. I had a lot of tales, but nothing about real life.
Jane
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I discovered as a kid that I did not care for the later Henry Huggins book's. Now as an adult I find it is still true.
This one is about Henry desire for a paper route.
There were some good moments in this book.
I loved Henry bringing home four kittens, and of course I loved the parts Ramona was in. It reminded me of how hilarious Ramona was when she wanted to get her own way.
All in all a good book, but not one of my favorites.
Philip
Dad: Hey Poppy, will you go get Gwen? She was just here.

Poppy: Yeah.

Eleanor: Are you writing the introduction.

Dad: I am. Although it's lacking. I don't have much to say. We're just all waiting for Gwen.

INTRODUCTION

We spent too long reading this book. We started this back in like... April? And we're in August. I just didn't keep up with it. We read a bunch of one-night-books in the mean time.

I do love Beverly Cleary, though.

Dad: Poppy, tell me something that you remember about the book.

Poppy: I r
Sylvester
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So I've already said that Beverly Cleary is a genius. Can't go there. I've already said how much Squirt and I laugh at the trouble Henry gets in. Can't go there.

Have I mentioned how she writes great stories about completely mundane events and my boy just nods his head and is so interested that we have to stop and have a conversation about it before I can go on reading to him? Have I mentioned how I think Henry is such a great reminder of what a child's world used to be like? How he (at 10, near
Amber Scaife
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Henry really wants a paper route of his own, but at first he's a year too young, and then a new kid moves to the neighborhood and quickly becomes competition...
Charlie is just loving the Henry books so far, and it's fun to read them with him (although Henry's attitude toward girls is a bit neanderthal-like).
unknown
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readalouds
Somehow I seem to have missed the Henry books in my youth. This was my first, a readaloud. While it was enjoyable as all of Beverly Cleary's books are, it didn't feel quite as unique as the Ramona books, Henry being a more ordinary, sort of slightly dull kid. I'd still happily read another of them.
Adrienne
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
The real heroes of this story, as perhaps is true for many children, are Henry’s parents. When the school has a drive for old newspapers and magazines, Henry advertises around the neighborhood and ends up succeeding beyond his own abilities. Ramona gets involved and ruins a few things. Beezus is there, sick of Ramona and trying to help Henry. And Henry’s parents heroically haul and bundle stacks of paper for days. Henry Huggins and his mother and father tie together old newspapers and magazines, ...more
John Orman
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are the tales of Henry Huggins, paper boy at the age of 10. Sisters Beezus and Ramona show up quite a bit here too.

This book came out in 1957, when I was 8 years old. Within a few years, I can remember reading many stories such as these by beloved author and Oregon native Beverly Cleary. However, I did not get my paper route until I had reached the advanced age of 15!

"The Paper Drive" is quite a funny tale of Henry's adventure of collecting old newspapers and magazines for a school paper d
Emily
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, another clever Cleary tale, told from the perspective of Henry Huggins, neighbor of the famed Ramona Quimby. We listened to this on audio and it passed many a mile. At times we even laughed out loud.

(Hard to believe that paper routes are on the verge of extinction now -- I remember the boys on their bicycles and the canvas bags holding the folded newspapers, and how they'd come to the door to collect the money for subscriptions).
Twyla
Gia
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade-ya
What a fun, happy, lighthearted book! Made me laugh out loud! A refreshing read and a good reminder to not take ourselves too seriously:)
Candychaser21
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another cute book by this author with the amazing characters we all know and love!
Sadie Joy
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is a very important thing to do?

That is Henry Huggin's main question in this book. It is one we can all relate to, I'm sure, when we find ourselves doing something rather dull or seemingly unimportant. And that question can have several different answers, depending on your point of view.

After seeing Scooter, an older school chum, selling newspapers, Henry sets out to get a newspaper route, which, (he decides) is a very important thing to do. Who knew that getting a route of his own could b
Irene
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary school aged kids
Shelves: children
This installment of the Henry Huggins series does not disappoint! As soon as I read the final sentence and closed the book, Isabelle shouted, "Five stars!"

In this book, Henry shows compassion, initiative, drive, and determination. He sees four adorable kittens and goes to great lengths to keep them from being sent to the pound. He wants a paper route, and by golly, he will convince Mr. Capper that he is responsible enough to have one! His school has a paper drive, and - inspired by an off-hand
Judy
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Good old Henry Huggins wants a paper route but isn't quite old enough. Instead he ends up with a new kitten, names her Nosy, and thereby upsets good old Ribsy.

After another adventure with paper, known as a paper drive, in which Henry's clever advertising method succeeds way beyond his wildest dreams, bad girl Ramona's bad ideas help Henry finally get his route.

I will never forget the summer my sons had a paper route. I worked long hours that summer, including weekends. So the boys often spent we
Vimacone
Jun 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: school-library
This was another interesting book in the Henry canon. I always liked how determined Henry was to reach his goals, no matter the obstacles. Like most of the Cleary books written in the 1950's, it's interesting to see some dated references such as the terminology (like "mechanical man" for robot). I got a kick out of the references to the Bugs Bunny cartoons that Henry saw in the theater (being an animation fan, I was able to guess a couple of the ones that Henry saw based on a the descriptions). ...more
Leto
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Henry tries and really wishes to have a paper route like one of his meanest friends Scooter, but for short Henry calls him Scoot. Henry has to borrow Scooter's route twice because one time Scooter has the chicken pox and the second time he wants to go to the Y, which means he wants to take a swim somewhere.

I liked this story because Ribsy his dog always tries to follow Henry on his bike, but just by his side though.

[review by a 7 year old, typed by his mom]
Julia Southwick
As a kid, these were some of my absolute favorite books! I personally preferred Henry to Ramona and Beezus, but I love that they're neighbors and are featured in each others' stories. I am definitely going to get my kids to read all of Beverly Cleary's books.
Dayna
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschool-kids
A charming look back at a simpler time when kids were free to be curious young people. A fun look at a determined little boy who won't give up on his dream and the quirks of life in a suburban neighborhood.
R.
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Henry grows responsible and takes on a paper route...and something in him dies just a tad bit.
Alisha
Wally: it was really good. (Why?) it just was really good. I liked that Ramona said "clank clank." The book was about getting a paper route.
Sara
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is just so cute. Love this one.
Maggi Andersen
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Things always seem to work out for Henry by the end of the books, which is something my kids and I appreciate. His life isn't without struggles, but he, like us, enjoys a happy ending. The personality of his little neighbor, Ramona, always steals the scene and makes it perfectly apparent why Cleary chose to devote so many books to the spunky little girl who causes so much commotion. All of my children (ages 4, 6, and 9) enjoy when I read aloud from any of Cleary's works. Her writing style and de ...more
Madelyn DeVaney
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beverly Cleary has done it again with an awesome fiction novel that relates to both young and old readers.

One of her classic characters, Henry, wants to do something important. When an awesome opportunity to be a paper boy in his neighbor presents itself, Henry knows that’s what he’s supposed to do. Several circumstances keep Henry from being able to live out his dream of delivering papers, but perseverance, creativity, and willingness finally leads Henry to a great opportunity.
Friendship and i
Christy
Newbery Medal-winning author Beverly Cleary gives readers a hero they'll relate to—and root for—in this comical and inspiring novel about Henry Huggins's mission to prove himself worthy of his very own paper route.

All the older kids work their own paper route, but because Henry is not eleven yet, Mr. Capper won't let him. Desperate to change his mind, Henry tries everything he can think of to show he's mature and responsible enough for the job. From offering free kittens to new subscribers, to h
Ashley Jacobson
It's fun to see Henry grow up some. He is now 11 and can have a paper route. I appreciate the focus on hard work and responsibility. Henry is a good role model and "friend" for my kids to have. This story had a fuzzy-feeling-inducing ending, as Henry becomes friends with the new kid and a confusing situation is resolved. I like those types of revelations and enjoy discussing them with the kids. Kai can't wait to move on to the next book. He got angry that we couldn't start it tonight after finis ...more
Steve Ward
The 4th book in the Henry series by Beverly Cleary continues in the same vein as before. Once again Henry finds himself in various activities and adventures made more difficult by his dog Ribsy and his friends. I wonder how many kids of today could even relate to a paper route with home delivery almost non-existent? I would recommend this book as a read aloud for young children or as a nice easy read for early readers.
Mary Beth
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual, Caleb, Abigail and I thoroughly enjoyed Henry's trials and woes as he pursues his dream of having a paper route. My favorite scene from this book is at the beginning, when Henry rescues a litter of kittens from a rummage sale while he is on his way to interview for a position as paper boy. He doesn't have time to go home and drop the kittens off, so he hides them inside his zipped-up coat, and hijinks ensue. These stories remain as charming as ever.
Cheryl
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual, Ramona almost steals the show. But Henry is quite a boy, too... I love that he won't let the kittens go to the pound, and that he tries hard to make friends with new boy Murph, and gives both Murph and Scooter a second chance. And these Cleary books are truly timeless: yesterday at Costco I saw a box set!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
gfgnhgfgbr 1 1 May 22, 2016 04:39PM

• Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great (Fudge, #2)
  • Surprise Island (The Boxcar Children, #2)
  • Ivy and Bean: Bound to be Bad
  • Ivy and Bean Break the Fossil Record
  • Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #4)
  • Ivy and Bean Take Care of the Babysitter
  • Ivy and Bean: Doomed to Dance
  • Ivy and Bean: No News Is Good News
  • Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary: Teacher Guide (Novel Units)
  • The Lighthouse Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #8)
  • Josefina Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Josefina, #5)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #3)
  • The Yellow House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #3)
  • Kildee House
  • Blue Bay Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #6)
  • The Year of Miss Agnes
  • Dolphin Adventure (Dolphin Adventure #1)
  • Mountain Top Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #9)
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At

Henry Huggins (6 books)
  • Henry Huggins (Henry Huggins, #1)
  • Henry and Beezus (Henry Huggins, #2)
  • Henry and Ribsy (Henry Huggins, #3)
  • Henry and the Clubhouse (Henry Huggins, #5)
  • Ribsy (Henry Huggins, #6)

News & Interviews

“And to think that he was going to live right here in the neighborhood!” 0 likes
“Life, Henry discovered, was suddenly so full of interesting things to do that he rode his bicycle through a pile of autumn leaves in the gutter just for the joy of hearing them crackle. “Clank, clank!” Ramona yelled after him. “Clank, clank!” answered Henry.” 0 likes