Start by marking “A False Mirror (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #9)” as Want to Read:
A False Mirror (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #9)

A False Mirror (Inspector Ian Rutledge #9)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  2,584 Ratings  ·  197 Reviews
The nineth Inspector Ian Rutledge mystery, set in Post-World War I England. Rutledge is called on to prove the innocence of a man he dislikes and distrusts. But the deadly triangle also stirs up memories of the woman he himself loved and lost when he went to France to fight.

Hampton Regis, a small harbor town on the southern coast of England, is a most unlikely place for vi
Published January 9th 2007 by William Morrow (first published 2007)

Saleh MoonWalker
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Onvan : A False Mirror (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #9) - Nevisande : Charles Todd - ISBN : 60786736 - ISBN13 : 9780060786731 - Dar 371 Safhe - Saal e Chap : 2007
Carol
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book of Ian Rutledge as detective a bit more than others because the ultimate who of the who done it wasn't easy to guess and in actuality very unobvious. The pacing was slow but still enjoyable. I do find these books worth the read and will continue with the series.
Lawyer
Perhaps it is just me. Or perhaps the mother and son duo Charles Todd are beginning to run out of steam with their Ian Rutledge series. Don't get me wrong. "A False Mirror" was a fair read. I was entertained. However, the darkness of the previous volumes in this series has been fueled by Rutledge's experiences in the trenches of World War One. Those issues are present in this latest outing. But those issues are much less present in "A False Mirror." Rutledge is still accompanied by his constant ...more
Megan
Aug 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
A rainy afternoon seemed the perfect time to read the newest entry in the moody Charles Todd mysteries about shell-shocked Scotland Yard detective Ian Rutledge. As a big fan of the time period, I have always liked series like this and the Maisie Dobbs books by Jacqueline Winspear, because they take you so vividly to a time and a place absolutely dominated by a shared experience, World War I. Rutledge is an interesting character, deeply scarred by his war experiences, but trying to move on with h ...more
Diane
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
There is so much to love about Charles Todd's books. The extensive research provides such a palatable sense of time and place in post-war England. And they build such beautiful sentences. I especially liked this passage.

"Except for what he'd read or been told since, he knew nothing about the peace that had been fought over and turned into punishment for Germany, each participating nation stretching out greedy hands for what they wanted out of the shambles of dead men's suffering. He'd been locke
Deb
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-books-read
This was one of the best Inspector Rutledge books yet. An influential diplomat has been attacked and left for dead and the main suspect is the diplomat's ex-fiance Stephen Mallory. Mallory served at the front with Rutledge, and despite their shared negative history, Mallory asks Rutledge to prove he's not the perpetrator. Once again, Rutledge battles his supervisor and his past, represented by Hamish. I especially liked this installment because I was misled as to the true perpetrator. I also lik ...more
Nicole
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
What do I think? I think you have to be a Charles Todd fan to enjoy any aspect of this book. The premise is pretty hard to believe. Also, this book is starting to read like his/her previous books. Creating tension between the local detective and Ian Rutledge is thoroughly played out. Unless you're into reading the series in order (like I am), I would skip this one entirely.
Brian Maicke
May 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
A bit of a bad spell for me and period mysteries. I normally enjoy Charles Todd's Inspector Rutledge series but this one left me pretty flat. The mystery itself was not unsatisfying, but two of the main characters affected by the plot were so completely unsympathetic to me that I just wanted to get through the story so I would not have to read about them anymore.
Lisa
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I began this entry in the Ian Rutledge series, I thought (after getting into the situation) that the plot would be impossible to make interesting--but I was wrong! This is an enjoyable series, especially for people who like books set in England between the two world wars.
Craig
Sep 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, mystery
3 1/2 stars. Hamish seems to be retreating a bit. Not that I miss him all that much, as he occasionally get a bit tiring - maybe it's just a coincidence that this title isn't quite up to snuff as some of the rest.
Mary Munroe
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Mystery

I really liked this Ian Rutledge mystery. I could not put it down. The characters were interesting and there were enough red herrings to fill a boat.
Dee
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
ian rutledge,mysteries,detective stories,england,WWI
Jeri
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the ninth in the Inspector Rutledge series of books. The stories take place after WWI and often many of the characters have suffered due to the war. Ian Rutledge, the protagonist, suffers from “shell shock” or the term for PTSD from way back. The people who didn’t serve generally regard these ex-soldiers as cowards and crazy people. It’s hard to see that society has progressed much from 1920. This mystery takes place in a small town where a man has been beaten almost to death. The Const ...more
Larraine
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This novel takes place starting in February, 1920. Ian Rutledge has been back in Scotland Yard after the Great War for less than a year. The war haunts him as it has so many of the men who survived. Rutledge is working an important case in London when he is told that a case in a small town along the southern English coast requires his attention. A man is holding a woman hostage and insists that Rutledge personally investigate. He served under Rutledge in the war. Rutledge despises him because hi ...more
Patsyann
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A mystery with no forensics, no CSI team and no cell phones or Ipads. And the mystery is solved - in a week!! Ian Rutledge solves the mystery by watching faces as he gives poeple information. He can tell exactly what they did or didn't do by how they react to the information. He does this all, while suffering from World War I's version of PTSD - shell shock !!
Love these books!! And the bad guy in this book - came out of nowhere and was a complete surprise. Loved it!! I also love how the author(s
Ed
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: British who duunit, Charles Todd, post WW I fans.
Six-word Review: Rutledge summoned, killer on the loose.

How a mother and son duo does such a great job in this series of putting the reader into post WW I England is beyond me. Nevertheless, that's what they do and once again I found myself lost in their imaginary but realistic world.

Inspector Ian Rutledge of Scotland Yard is suffering from what we now know is PTSD. He carries a fellow soldier, Sgt. Hamish McLeod, who he was forced to execute, around in his head and has conversations with him qu
Christine
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lol. I saw my started date and forgot I returned the book back in Nov and just got around to taking it back out three weeks ago to relax-read it from start to finish. It didn’t let me down.

The Ian Rutledge is challenged in this murder mystery by being called to a small English town to help a fellow soldier that he commanded in France and was non too fond of. And what a mess Ian finds himself in. As the reader on this Scotland Yard inspector, who was mentally damaged in the Great War and must li
Susan
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Once again, Charles Tood has written an engaging and complex tale of murder and deceit. In this case Inspector Rutledge is sent from London to the small coastal town of Hampton Regis where an officer who served with him in France, during WWI, has been accused of viciously beating the husband of a woman he is still in love with. To make matters worse, the suspect, Stephen Mallory, has taken the wife, Felicity Hamilton, hostage in her own home. When her unconscious, battered husband suddenly disap ...more
Lynda
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This mystery involves an attack on a retired foreign service officer, Matthew Hamilton, who has retired and married a pretty young woman, Felicity. The local police suspect Stephen Mallory - Felicity's former fiancee. When Mallory takes Felicity and her maid hostage, Inspector Rutledge is sent to intervene and solve the crime of who attacked Hamilton who is recovering at the doctor's office. The novel shows how impetuous behavior, jealousy, and gossip can make solving crimes much more dificult. ...more
Karen
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ian Rutledge #9. Ian Rutledge, is summoned to small town on the English coast by a man he dislikes and one facing attempted murder charges. A man he fought with in WWI. Meeting the suspect, Ian's horrible memories of the war return. More murders occur and Ian sets out to investigate not one, but 2 more crimes. Wonderful character development and life in post WWI are explained in this novel.
Cindy Ladensack
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
These are almost always a solid 4.5 stars for me. Loved the mystery, writing, and characters as usual in this book—but there were a couple of things that stretched my credulity.... the way Rutledge gets called in to assist seemed a little far-fetched, and I didn’t think the events surrounding the victim’s disappearance were quite believable either. Still, I finished this in one day (a satisfying end to holiday break) and I’m looking forward to #10....
Susan Krich
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the third Ian Rutledge mystery that I have read.
It was hard to get into the first because Hamish distracting from the story. By the time I started this one I was familiar with the way the stories unfold and I enjoyed the search for the murderer. I look forward to reading some more of these mysteries.
Thomas Joseph
An enjoyable series that is going stale. I love the Ian Rutledge character and the post WW1 England atmosphere, but this series really needs to mix in some more interesting subplots to pick up my interest. A False Mirror reads much like several prior Rutledge stories, just with different supporting names and settings.
Elsie
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Inspector Rutledge is always meticulous and interesting in the way he solves murder investigations. This book is no exception. And it is also interesting how he makes use of his ghost that is always present in his head.
Anne
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I like how Charles Todd allows readers into Inspector Rutledge's mind. We experience the mystery as it unfolds to him.
William
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I probably would have rated it higher if the author would just drop the Hamish character. He gets more and more annoying and after nine books I think its time for him to go.
Mary Cassidy
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I did enjoy this one, but it seemed a bit overdrawn towards the end and there were characters that just did not seem real to me. But I have seven more of his from the library so will continue.
Lyn
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Great who-done-it!!!! #10 please :)
E G
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I had the murderer narrowed down at least
VJRetailTherapy
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one had me staying up and finishing the book til the wee hours!
Rutledge and Hamish 2 24 Jan 15, 2015 01:44AM
  • Weighed in the Balance (William Monk, #7)
  • The Blood-Dimmed Tide (John Madden, #2)
  • The Scent of Murder (Dr Dody McCleland, #3)
  • Petty Treason (Sarah Tolerance, #2)
  • An Incomplete Revenge (Maisie Dobbs, #5)
  • Circle Of Shadows (Crowther and Westerman, #4)
  • The Strange Fate of Kitty Easton
  • A Burial at Sea (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #5)
  • Diamond Solitaire (Peter Diamond, #2)
  • A Rescue For A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #11)
  • Water Like a Stone (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #11)
Charles Todd is the pen name used by a mother-and-son writing team, Caroline Todd and Charles Todd.
More about Charles Todd

Inspector Ian Rutledge (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • A Test of Wills (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #1)
  • Wings of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #2)
  • Search the Dark (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #3)
  • Legacy of the Dead (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #4)
  • Watchers of Time (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #5)
  • A Fearsome Doubt (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #6)
  • A Cold Treachery (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #7)
  • A Long Shadow (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #8)
  • A Pale Horse (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #10)
  • A Matter of Justice (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #11)
“Now he realized that somehow those who had served in France and elsewhere knew a world that couldn’t be shared. How could he tell his sister—or even his father, if the elder Rutledge was still alive—what had been done on bloody ground far from home? It would be criminal to fill their minds with scenes that no one should have to remember. No one.” 3 likes
“Courage is not measured by
Marching bands and banners in the wind.
If you have not walked
The bloody lines and seen the faces,
You have no right to describe it so.
We die here to keep you safe at home,
And what we suffer
Pray you may never know.”
3 likes