Start by marking “A Big Hand For The Doctor (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Big Hand For The Doctor (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #1)

A Big Hand For The Doctor

(Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts #1)

Eleven Doctors, eleven months, eleven stories: a year-long celebration of Doctor Who! The most exciting names in children's fiction each create their own unique adventure about the time-travelling Time Lord.

London, 1900. The First Doctor is missing both his hand and his granddaughter, Susan. Faced with the search for Susan, a strange beam of soporific light, and a host of
Published January 23rd 2013 by Puffin (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Big Hand For The Doctor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Big Hand For The Doctor

Cait • A Page with a View
Eoin Colfer + Doctor Who sounded like the greatest mix ever. I wasn't terribly into this story and am not sure how familiar Eoin is with Doctor Who, but it was still fun!
Alejandro
This is the first short story celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who. Each short story will be centered on a different Doctor. Presenting the doctors in order of appearance in the franchise. For some reason, all the stories will have only one companion. The extension of each short story will be of 40 pages, more or less.

The Good

Due the general decision of using only one companion on each story, on this tale you have Susan Foreman as the companion of the First Doctor. Which means that thi
Richard Wright
Jan 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
Firstly, if this wasn't supposed to be a Doctor Who book, it would be a perfectly functional (though workmanlike) kids adventure story. The glaring problem is that it's supposed to be about the First Doctor, and he is entirely absent. Instead of the slightly frightening, selfish, frail old genius kids met for the first time in the sixties, we have here a heroic righter of wrongs, who strides into one on one combat with armed killers, and swan dives off rooftops to save little children.

I was look
Sean Kennedy
Feb 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
I was looking forward to these 50th anniversary eleven shorts of eleven Doctors, but I have to say they're not off to a great beginning.

The most important thing in any Doctor Who fiction is getting the characterisation right. With eleven different Doctors, there can be personality mix-ups. The biggest crime is to give one Doctor the personality of another - yes, there are some characteristics shared between them all, but they are ALL distinct personalities.

And this is not the first Doctor as po
Brendon Schrodinger
Mar 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: doctor-who
How many offences against the mystery and wonder of Doctor Who can you fit in 40 pages? An awful lot apparently. I blame the editor and publisher. The author obviously has little knowledge of Doctor Who.

In a story set before 'An Unearthly Child' (yes, major offence number one) we see a First Doctor who is an action hero, who has visions of his future selves, who references 21st century pop culture, references of Time Lords bandied about left right and centre, and a childhood flashback with the D
Jules (Never enough time to read)
It was ok, maybe not the best start to the series of shorts as it felt a little incomplete and didn't entirely have me hooked.

I'm still hopeful about the rest...
F.R.
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
He’s an odd character, The Doctor. He starts off old and grumpy and mostly gets younger and more energetic as the years go on. His 11th carnation must look back at his 1st self and wish that he’d lightened up a bit.

This is the first of a monthly series of tales – each featuring a different doctor – designed to celebrate Doctor Who’s fiftieth anniversary. Here Eion Colfer (an author I’ve never previously read) takes the first Doctor for an adventure. We’re in Victorian times and there are flying
Gary Roskell
Nov 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
In celebration of the 50th Anniversary I was looking forward to this series of ebooks. This was not the start I had hoped for...

Admittedly it's a potential poisoned chalice taking on a national treasure like Doctor Who. But it's not as though the author would have wanted for source material. That gloriously cantankerous incarnation played by William Hartnell is here turned into an all out action hero. The characterisation and situations are unrecognisable. Set, it appears, before the first epis
Adam Stone
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
A Big Hand for the Doctor is a story featuring the first Doctor and Susan in a story which we can only assume is set before they meet Ian and Barbara in a junkyard in 1960's London. The story is ostensibly about the Doctor getting a new hand grown by this alien surgeon who seems to be hiding in England in the 1900's and about how the Doctor managed to lose his hand in the first place, and how the surgeon lends him for the time being a much larger, and female, hand.

This version of the first Doct
Camilla
Apr 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody

This is not the First Doctor. The plot was okay, I suppose. Nothing special. But the characterization was terrible. I'm fairly sure Eoin Colfer hasn't seen any episodes of Doctor Who featuring the First Doctor. If he had, he never would have written this. I didn't like the way it was written, either. It was written for children, and the writing was very simplistic. However, Colfer often used archaic or more "adult" words. I'm pretty sure that would annoy most children. For instance, he used a wo

Brooklyn Tayla
I did enjoy this. Rather unexpectedly feely, in some places. Very sweet insight into the Doctor's past. Funny too in some parts. All in all, not bad at all.
Wiebke (1book1review)
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Tis story was a little meh, the best thing was the epilogue which gave this a nice twist and spin.
James Parry
May 28, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Doctor Who: A Big Hand for the Doctor - Bland and boring
Having received the 12 Doctors, 12 Stories box set for Christmas - including this book - I thought to give the first book in the series a second read, having read it very almost two years prior. I remember being outraged that this; the first William Hartnell novel since 2005 (or 2004 - I forget) was terrible. I really hoped my opinion altered on my second read. Unfortunately it didn't. In fact I think I came out of it thinking of it worse t
Zelda of Unapologetic Reviews
Nov 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: doctor who fans
Shelves: doctor-who, ebook
The story takes place before the Doctor took on any companions, and just had his granddaughter, Susan. It happens in Victorian London. The story itself is very brief. The only reason it took me so long to read it was that I had too many things going on to read for more than a few minutes at a time. It's okay. I like some of the concepts in it, like the pirates, and it would be cool to see them again somewhere, maybe in a longer novel or an episode. It wasn't bad as some of the other reviewers fo ...more
Amy
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it
This was enjoyable and I really enjoyed Colfer's writing. The portrayal of the first Doctor was somewhat the same as the television show, but he seemed a lot nicer and more adventurous. There was reference to the 21st century as it is today, which is interesting as that obviously couldn't be done when the show was created in 1963.

I'm giving it 3 stars, as it was somewhat fun but I wasn't too excited by the plot.
France-Andrée
I think if you are gonna do a series in honor of a character, you should make sure the authors get the spirit of the said character right. There's nothing remotely like the First Doctor in this short: the voices of The Doctor and Susan are all wrong plus they would never act in the way they are portrayed here. It doesn't help also that the story is quite boring and unoriginal. There's good books out there with William Hartnell's Doctor like The Time Travelers by Simon Guerrier.
Kribu
Okayish enough as the plot went, if nothing spectacular, but to me the characterisation of the First Doctor seemed completely off, enough so that if I hadn't known this was a One story (because the book said so and because of Susan and the Doctor's physical description), I wouldn't have had any idea which incarnation it was supposed to be, neither from his actions, speech patterns, general behaviour nor thoughts.
Richard
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it
This adventure focuses on The First Doctor and his grand-daughter, Susan. Unfortunately, the characters of neither particularly resemble those portrayed in the series. The plot itself is adequately interesting but not really engaging. I would rate it at about 2 1/2 out of 5 but will round it up to 3.

Ken
Jul 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
First in a series of eBooks to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the show.

The Firsg Doctor loses a hand and costed an alien scientist to get a replacement.

My main issue with the story was that it didn’t feel like a First Dictor Adventure, hugely disappointing - I won’t be bothering with the rest.
Steven Scoular
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the pacing of this short, and the internal monologues from the First Doctor makes him a really interesting character! A brill start to the anthology and I will be checking out the authors others works, even if the story was a bit (lovingly) daft.
Ham ‍Who
Nov 04, 2015 rated it liked it
به شدت مشتاق خوندن بقیه ی این مجموعه م. منتها بدیش اینه که ... خب این کتابا رو هیچ جا ندیدم. تنها راه پیدا کردنشون اینترنته. متاسفانه.
رفرنس هایی که نویسنده داده بود در نوع خودش جالب بود.
پ.ن: نویسنده ی این داستان نویسنده ی آرتیمیس فاول بوده.
Sannie Hald
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very charming short story. I am especially fond of the epilogue.

Is Hogwarts meant to be hogwash?
Myrthe
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
3,5*
I have to admit that I've never seen a single episode with the First Doctor. However, that doesn't keep me from reading the novels and I actually liked this one more than I expected.
Ben Truong
A Big Hand for the Doctor is a short story written by Eoin Colfer and is a part of the year-long celebration for the fiftieth anniversary for Doctor Who (2013). This short story is the first installment of what would eventually be twelve parts – one for each Doctor. A Big Hand for the Doctor focuses on the First Doctor (William Hartnell).

As an aside, I was really looking forward to this short story collection, particularly the first few, because I joined the fandom rather late in the rebooted se
Jill Jemmett
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I’m not very familiar with the first Doctor Who. I’ve watched a couple of episodes with him in them, but they are very different from the current episodes. He isn’t my favourite Doctor, but without him the show may not exist today. The actor who played the Doctor got dementia, so he could no longer act on the show. They had him “regenerate” into a new actor. It was a clever way to keep the story going for 50 years.

I didn’t like the way the Doctor was portrayed in this story. He spent a long time
Eduardo
Uso perfeito da mitologia whoviana.

Um conto bem divertido, que soube traduzir para a literatura o clima da narrativa de um episódio da série. O pouco que conheço da personalidade do primeiro Doutor está neste conto, que, pelo fato ser escrito recentemente, faz uso inteligente do caráter atemporal do protagonista. Com certeza lerei os demais, sinto que ganhei uma temporada extra de uma das minhas séries favoritas.
Angela
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor-who, childrens
The first Doctor needs to replace his hand as it has been cut off by a pirate. He also has to stop the pirates kidnapping children. The story is quite good but I found at times that I couldn't hear the first Doctors voice. I'm not sure how well this story suited this particular Doctor, it felt like his persona had been shoe horned in. An ok read.
Jackie Krasuski
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
When they said "short" they meant it... Wow that was short. I was somehow expecting this to be all of them and in reality it was only about an hour's worth of my time. It's a cute story told in true Doctor Who style and I enjoyed it.
Clare
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75* rating.
  • The Nameless City (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #2)
  • The Spear of Destiny (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #3)
  • Spore (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #8)
  • The Beast of Babylon (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #9)
  • The Ripple Effect (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #7)
  • The Roots of Evil (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #4)
  • Tip of the Tongue (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #5)
  • Doctor Who: Fear of the Dark
  • Doctor Who: Lights Out (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #12)
  • Doctor Who: Players
  • Doctor Who: The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Doctor Who: Horror of Glam Rock
  • Doctor Who: System Shock
  • Something Borrowed (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #6)
  • Doctor Who: Engines of War
  • Doctor Who: Immortal Beloved
  • Doctor Who: Millennial Rites
  • Doctor Who: Salt of the Earth (Time Trips)
Eoin Colfer (pronounced Owen) was born in Wexford on the South-East coast of Ireland in 1965, where he and his four brothers were brought up by his father and mother, who were both educators.

He received his degree from Dublin University and began teaching primary school in Wexford. He has lived and worked all over the world, including Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Italy. After the publication of the A

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Nameless City (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #2)
  • The Spear of Destiny (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #3)
  • The Roots of Evil (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #4)
  • Tip of the Tongue (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #5)
  • Something Borrowed (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #6)
  • The Ripple Effect (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #7)
  • Spore (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #8)
  • The Beast of Babylon (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #9)
  • The Mystery of the Haunted Cottage (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #10)
  • Doctor Who: Nothing O'Clock
“Hogwarts, it is not, thought the Doctor, realising that no one would appreciate this reference for almost a century.” 4 likes
“Oh, how I wish I had already regenerated to become the tall one with the dicky bow, thought the Doctor, who occasionally had visions of his future selves. He is always so fit and agile. I suppose all that incessant running down corridors that he does . . . will do . . . may do, in one of my possible futures . . . is good for something.” 3 likes