Start by marking “Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta” as Want to Read:
Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta

Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  150 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The Sermon on the Mount represents the essence of both Christ's teachings and the teachings of Vedanta. Christ said, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." "The kingdom of God is within." "Be ye perfect...." Theologians are apt to explain away these teachings, but we believe Christ meant exactly what he said. Read in this book how Vedanta goes to the hear ...more
Published July 4th 1964 by Vedanta Press & Bookshop (first published October 28th 1963)

Patrick
Oct 03, 2010 rated it really liked it

Amazon:
A book on the Sermon on the Mount should be no novelty in a Christian community. But when that books is written by a Hindu swami, a follower of Vedanta and The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna, that certainly is unusual. More so since the swami extols the Sermon as though it were a scripture of his own.
Beautiful as the this interpretation is in itself, it is presented by Swami Prabhavananda not as a far-off, scarcely attainable ideal, which is the way most Occidentals read the Sermon, but as a p
ron btdtbttsawio
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a very interesting and easy to read book. The author goes through the sermon line by line and compares it to the teachings of vedanta. The two teachings match up quite well.
The author does come up a bit short: In the sections where Jesus mentions hell (3 times in the sermon), Prabhavananda makes no comment. So I have no idea if that fits with vedanta or not.
Also included, are many interesting anecdotes from Prabhavananda's spiritual life and lesson's from his guru.
This was my second read
Walker S.
Aug 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Excellent fresh look, just perfect for the new class I'm preparing to teach. I love to take a new look through someone a different set of eyes.
William
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It is refreshing to visit the life of Jesus as seen through eyes from another religion.
“What do they know of England who only England know?"
Anna Wilson
Jul 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
This beautiful little book explains the Sermon on the Mount (from the Christian Bible) from a Vedantic (mystical Hinduism) perspective.
Michelle
Jan 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
wow. Overall, I loved the message that indicated no religion is wrong. Although they seem different at first glance, they teach the same messages. A religion is "true" as long as it guides its followers toward "...illumination, selfless love, and compassion for all."
Nellie
Jul 04, 2008 added it
this book opened me up to new ideas about religion and i loved the perspectice that rama krishna gives about jesus's philosophies
Drew Campbell
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great life lessons from a very learned monk and teacher. This helped me reconcile my own faith with the Christianity I grew up with and out of.
Jason
When I first encountered this book on the Waldenbooks new age shelf, I thought that Vedanta was a person, as in "the Gospel according to Matthew," etc. (This was in 1989 or 1990, when I was high school senior in Decatur, IL; I discovered this book at the same time as the Bhagavad Gita, which at the time was mainly noteworthy because it rhymed with "pita," itself another "foreign" item intruding on my culturally impoverished youth. Sad but true.)

In the subsequent two-plus decades, I spent a lot
Dylan Grant
Swami Prabhavananda is a member of the monastic order that Sri Ramakrishna founded, and this book reflects Ramakrishna's teachings. Prabhavananda has a scholarly and philosophical mind, though, so it isn't at all like reading The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna all over again.

Prabhavananda's very short book has one mission: To prove that the essence of Christianity and the essence of Hinduism are in complete harmony with each other as a result of springing from the same Divine source.

He decides to d
Shelly Caldeira
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just came across this book again while doing some DE-cluttering. I remember LOVING it and having aha moments daily...I had yellow pen highlighted throughout the entire little book. I might read it again this year.
Terrence
Feb 02, 2017
Dwight Atherton
Jun 03, 2014
Andrew
rated it did not like it
Dec 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Good Goats: Healing Our Image of God
  • The Yoga of Jesus: Understanding the Hidden Teachings of the Gospels
  • Ramakrishna and His Disciples
  • God's Fool: The Life of Francis of Assisi
  • Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna
  • Recovering the Scandal of the Cross: Atonement in New Testament and Contemporary Contexts
  • Resurrecting Jesus: Embodying the Spirit of a Revolutionary Mystic
  • God and Empire: Jesus Against Rome, Then and Now
  • The Collected Works of Ramana Maharshi
  • The Life of Milarepa
  • Lost Christiantiy
  • Life with God: Reading the Bible for Spiritual Transformation
  • Our Religions: The Seven World Religions Introduced by Preeminent Scholars from Each Tradition
  • Coming to Our Senses: Body and Spirit in the Hidden History of the West
  • The Cartoon History of the Modern World Part 1: From Columbus to the U.S. Constitution
  • Introduction to the Study of the Hindu Doctrines
  • The Jesus Sutras: Rediscovering the Lost Scrolls of Taoist Christianity
  • The Dance of Siva: Essays on Indian Art and Culture
Swami Prabhavananda was an Indian philosopher, monk of the Ramakrishna Order, and religious teacher.

Born in India, he joined the Ramakrishna Order after graduating from Calcutta university in 1914. He was initiated by Swami Brahmananda.
In 1923, he was sent to the United States of America. Initially he worked as an assistant minister of the Vedanta Society of San Francisco. After two years, he esta
More about Prabhavananda...