Start by marking “Death Note: Another Note - The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases” as Want to Read:
Death Note: Another Note - The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases

Death Note: Another Note - The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases

(Death Note #Novel 1)

There's a serial killer loose in Los Angeles and the local authorities need help fast. For some reason the killer has been leaving a string of maddeningly arcane clues at each crime scene. Each of these clues, it seems, is an indecipherable roadmap to the next murder.

Onto the scene comes L, the mysterious super-sleuth. Despite his peculiar working habits, he's never shown
Published February 19th 2008 by VIZ Media (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Death Note, please sign up.
Corinne I'm 13 and I read it, like Corey said there are some pretty gruesome descriptions but it's nothing you shouldn't be able to handle if you're 13. You r…moreI'm 13 and I read it, like Corey said there are some pretty gruesome descriptions but it's nothing you shouldn't be able to handle if you're 13. You really should read it though, it's a brilliant detective novel.(less)
Shreya Sinha (aka Divyanjali Sinha) Yep. You should definitely read the Death Note manga, OR read the Death Note Animé... Whichever you prefer, but I personally recommend you to watch th…moreYep. You should definitely read the Death Note manga, OR read the Death Note Animé... Whichever you prefer, but I personally recommend you to watch the Animé ^_^
Without reading the background story, which you are expected to know if you are reading this, You won't be able to understand why most of the things are taking place in a major part of the novel.... Seriously, you'll miss out on a lot of interesting stuff related to L! (less)

Start your review of Death Note: Another Note - The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases
Petrik
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's Death Note, of course it’s great.

Death Note: Another Note The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases is written by Nisio Isin and it’s a spin-off novella from the massively popular manga/anime series, Death Note, which was created by the highly acclaimed duo, Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata. It’s a great detective novel and it’s definitely a must-read for all Death Note fans.

This novella shows Naomi Misora—a great female detective that appeared briefly in the original work—on her case with L before the
Onibana
Jun 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Oh my GOD!!!!!!!!!!!

This was one of the best, no, the best murder mystery that I have read before!

It was so nice to be able to see familiar chareters in a new setting and writing style. The ending made a little sad though... I was hoping that Rue Ryuzaki was really L, cause' the authors description fit him 'almost' perfectly. And, having Mello as the narrorator was really awsome!
This book is the kind of book, where I hope that the author never wants to commit a murder, cause, if they did, they w
Joshua Fialkov
Jun 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If this were made in America, it would be terrible. A spinoff prose novel of the beloved manga Death Note. But, Japan just knows better. It's an amazingly executed novel that perfectly uses the literary medium, creating something so much more compelling than you'd ever imagine it to be.

Non-essential for enjoying Death Note, but, it really does add so much more to the experience.
Amber Hetchler
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Wow, it exceeded all my expectations. It had a lot darker, more serious feel to it than the manga series that it's based off of, but I really liked that about it. Beyond Birthday was brilliant and twisted which made for some pretty unsettling descriptions of his murders. Super fun to read. I recommend it to hard-core Death Note fans. Or anyone who likes crime novels because I believe you could read it without reading Death Note and still love it.
Caro
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Adarsh
“The most intelligent people disguise the fact that they are intelligent. Wise men do not wear nametags. The more people talk about their own skills, the more desperate they are—their work should speak for itself.”

4 crime scenes. Each scene has a clue for the subsequent murder. The clues can be anything - the dates of the killings, means of the killings, the names of the victims. The clues are conveniently in 'normal-humans-cannot-understand-it-however-hard-they-try' language. The world's great
Che Adventure
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
the B.B. murder case is very tasteful - like a sugar rush L would have after eating a delectable dessert.
Oshnap
Dec 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book failed both as a detective novel and a supplement to an already existing franchise. I would've forgiven this book if it failed at one but succeeded in the other, unfortunately that's not the case here. I love Mystery Novels, even the Death Note Series despite not being a "traditional Mystery Series." I like to figure out Who did it? Why? and How? But this was easy to figure out within the first few chapters then it fails as a good mystery novel, in my opinion. As a supplement to the De ...more
Devan, Sarcasm Expert
Jan 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Althought it wasn't writen by the orignal author it adds nicely to the collection even if its in the view of one person. And your still learning more of the subject of death & solving murder. Asking what will the killer do next.
When reading this book I learned from the character Rue that "It doesn't matter if a child or adult gets killed, its the same." I really struck me and makes me ponder the idea from time to time. And in truth he is right because when you kill someone you take that life wa
Shayna L
May 08, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a spin off from the Death Note comic series for those of you that missed L and thought Naomi Misora got a bit shafted. It focuses on a prior case where the two worked together to solve a series of murders in L.A.
While this is indeed a prequel, this isn't for people who haven't read or finished the Death Note series. You'll have the series spoiled for you before you even finish the first chapter. Also, it won't make nearly as much sense.
It's a fairly short book with the same detective st
Miss Susan
Jan 16, 2013 rated it liked it
this is a story that is told by a narrator beyond the grave.

now whether that was intentional i cannot say, but in the interests of charity i will assume the author is aware the character he choose to narrate it should have been dead at the time of telling. either that or in possession of an ability to see the future which begs the question, why does he let himself die the way he does in death note?

you can see why i like the dead man talking theory better.

and hey, it explains how he somehow knows
linda (flourishreader)
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
such a nice extra story to the original story of death note! // i really flew through this one and it was really easy to read and refreshing since somehow the majority of this book consists of only dialogues. it's kind of like watching another season of death note but in book form and one really does not see the plot twists and all of it coming. and, i really liked the investigation itself following naomi and ryuzaki. i watched death note itself and read the other L special years ago and i am st ...more
Zeynep Beyza
Phee
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This was delightful. Death Note is one of my favourite series so anything Death Note related is going to be awesome for me.
Pooja
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Anything containing the concept of Death Note and the characters are bound to be entertaining and thrilling.
Juliette (Chiyu)
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, light-novel
MIND BLOOOOWN

I love murder mysteries. I went through a phase where I binge watched Detective Conan and other locked-room-murder shows but, oddly enough, it never occurred to me to actually read a mystery novel, despite my great love for reading.

By pure chance, I found this book in my local charity shop for only 2 euros and, having already watched and loved the anime, I decided to pick it up. I'm so glad I did.

It's a short read and that's absolutely perfect- it means that it gets straight in
Suraj Krishnan
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The only thought that kept recurring when I was reading this book was why I did not read this book earlier. Set as a prequel to the Death Note Manga, (however I would advise you to read this after the Death Note series due to a number of spoilers), the book is a first-class execution of the usage of visualization in technical writing. The author clearly gives us all the facts about the murder scenes and the murderer BB right at the beginning and the rest of the plot is BB trying to always stay o ...more
John Egbert
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Atharva Tawde
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
L.Lawliet and Naomi Misora team up to catch a serial killer. This novel all the elements of a classic 'murder mystery' with the genius of Death Note sprinkled on the top and the twist at the end was just MIND BOGGLING.
Andy
May 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
The literary equivalent of malaria.
Ece
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was my all time fav detective novel!! It deserves more stars!
▪️◾️▪️ Jenvile ▪️◾️▪️
”If you agree with something, you must have sufficient reason to agree with it. If you disagree with something, you must have sufficient reason to disagree with it. However accurate, a deduction based on a fallacy means you have not defeated the killer.”

I had a lot of shocked pikachu moments reading this, and I read this in one sitting. I carved out time specifically, to finish it because I knew I wouldn’t be able to put it down. I enjoyed it immensely.

Now, there are quite a few problems with it
Jared
Aug 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Deathnote or Horror,CSI Type Novels
Good Book But...
The names are nothing short of ridiculous. Beyond Birthday? Quarter Queen? Still most people should be able to over look the slight downsiide and see the one HECK OF A PREQUEL this book is. Very Very good storywise with a mindbending twist at the end. This is book is like icing on the cake that is Deathnote! Really everyone who read the series NEEDS THIS BOOK!

This book is an actual novel not a manga so it needs a slightly different rating than Deathnote

Violence: Moderate to Mod
Sesana
Apr 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another Note is a prequel to the Death Note manga, but it would be a terrible, horrible idea to read it first. Considering that it's supposed to have been written by one of the characters from the latter half of the series, there's some big spoilers scattered around here.

Set in L.A. before any of the events of Death Note, Another Note stars Naomi Misora. Thank goodness, because I always hated how short her time in the manga was. She was awesome, and here we can see just how awesome as she teams
Echo
Jul 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: miscfiction
(I have no idea what shelf to put this on . . . hmmm . . . )

First off, if you haven't finished the Death Note series, don't pick this one up or you'll have it spoiled. But, with that said, it was a very good novel. It was amusing and interesting, and gave some extra insight into a few of the Death Note characters. Some of the names are completely off-the-wall (Quarter Queen?), but I just shrugged my shoulders and moved on with the novel. The end, to me, was totally unexpected. I hope they come o
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
I’ll start this review off with a warning: the book assumes you’ve read (or watched) most of Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata’s Death Note. I’m going to be writing this review with the same assumption - there are major spoilers for the series from here on out.

Okay, so this book stars L and Naomi Misora. If you don’t remember who Misora is, she was the FBI agent who began investigating Kira after her fiance, FBI agent Raye Penber, was killed by him. The book’s narrator is Mello, who has decided t
eliannaa
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
writing style was a bit meh tbh, felt quite clunky and awkward but I’m assuming that’s just bc it was translated from Japanese (?) tbh i would’ve preferred it as a manga but i get that if it was then the narrative would’ve been hard to pull off what with all the little tangents narrator goes off on lol
story itself was soooo good, im a sucker for any kind of murder mystery, especially one with a serial killer and as always with death note it was v complicated and v clever and i genuinely did not
Darci
Dec 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
A disappointing read for fans of the manga. There was absolutely nothing to like about this book. At first I thought that using Mello as the story's narrator was an interesting choice, but the voice it lent to the story was stilted and awkward. I considered the possibility of a poor English translation from the original Japanese, but even that can't explain the frankly asinine "reasoning" behind the solution of the mystery. In fact, the sheer absurdity of the puzzles posed by the killer cause th ...more
Hamnah Siddiqui
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rue Ryuzaki, also known as BB or Beyond Birthday, and Naomi Misora take on a case on mysterious killings happening in Los Angeles. At each crime scene there are Wara Ningyo, or straw dolls, nailed to the victim's wall. After each murder, the number of dolls decreases by one.
Rue Ryuzaki isn't who he claims to be though. He claims to be L and that is believable because he looks almost exactly identical to him but, in reality, he is nothing but a copy cat. He nothing but a wannabe.
I rated this bo
Lou
I am Beyond Bewitched with this book! This is one of the best story I have read in a long time!!!
I don’t recommend reading this one if you at least haven’t watched the anime. There are some crucial details that you wouldn’t be able to understand; therefore, read the manga o watch the anime first.
SPOILERS!! DO NOT READ UNLESS FINISHED WHOLE BOOK!! 4 59 May 04, 2020 11:50AM
READ 96 Group 2 am : Journal 3 3 6 Nov 01, 2013 03:22PM
READ 96 Group 2 am : Journal 2 2 5 Nov 01, 2013 02:05PM
4DRAKE: Death Note: Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases 2 37 Oct 31, 2013 06:18AM
READ 96 Group 2 am : Journal 1 2 10 Oct 22, 2013 12:43PM

• Death Note: L, Change the WorLd
  • Death Note, Vol. 13: How to Read
  • Death Note, Vol. 7: Zero (Death Note, #7)
  • Death Note, Vol. 12: Finis (Death Note, #12)
  • Death Note, Vol. 4: Love (Death Note, #4)
  • Death Note, Vol. 9: Contact (Death Note, #9)
  • Death Note, Vol. 8: Target (Death Note, #8)
  • Death Note, Vol. 11: Kindred Spirits (Death Note, #11)
  • Death Note, Vol. 6: Give-and-Take (Death Note, #6)
  • Death Note, Vol. 10: Deletion (Death Note, #10)
  • Death Note, Vol. 5: Whiteout (Death Note, #5)
  • Death Note, Vol. 3: Hard Run (Death Note, #3)
  • Death Note Special One-Shot (2020)
  • Death Note, Vol. 2: Confluence (Death Note, #2)
  • Death Note One-Shot Special (Death Note, Chapter #109)
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 5
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 6
  • Death Note Box Set
Nisio Isin (西尾 維新 Nishio Ishin), frequently written as NisiOisiN to emphasize that his pen name is a palindrome, is a Japanese novelist and manga writer. He attended and left Ritsumeikan University without graduating. In 2002, he debuted with the novel Kubikiri Cycle, which earned him the 23rd Mephisto Award at twenty years of age.

He currently works with Kodansha on Pandora, the Kodansha Box magaz

Death Note (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1)
  • Death Note, Vol. 2: Confluence (Death Note, #2)
  • Death Note, Vol. 3: Hard Run (Death Note, #3)
  • Death Note, Vol. 4: Love (Death Note, #4)
  • Death Note, Vol. 5: Whiteout (Death Note, #5)
  • Death Note, Vol. 6: Give-and-Take (Death Note, #6)
  • Death Note, Vol. 7: Zero (Death Note, #7)
  • Death Note, Vol. 8: Target (Death Note, #8)
  • Death Note, Vol. 9: Contact (Death Note, #9)
  • Death Note, Vol. 10: Deletion (Death Note, #10)