Start by marking “Basil and the Lost Colony (Basil of Baker Street, #2)” as Want to Read:
Basil and the Lost Colony (Basil of Baker Street, #2)

Basil and the Lost Colony

(Basil of Baker Street #2)

Named one of “13 Detective Book Series You Obsessed Over as a Kid” by Buzzfeed.com and the inspiration for a hit Disney film, the masterful Great Mouse Detective is back and scurrying off to solve the mystery of a Lost Colony in Switzerland.

Basil of Baker Street—mouse detective genius—is off on a perilous expedition leading thirty-two mice up a towering mountain. Their
Hardcover
Published June 1st 1964 by Pocket Books

Start your review of Basil and the Lost Colony (Basil of Baker Street, #2)
Carol
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, in the mood for something way off than what I have been reading. Trying to open up the possibilities of what's out there. I don't even have kids that would be fun to listen to or read together. Basil's adventures continue as he leads an expedition to the Swiss Alps to discover the lost colony of the Tellmice and solve the mystery of their disappearance, as well as that of the elusive Adorable Snowmouse, all with the nefarious Ratigan hot on his trail.

It was an odd mix because there was a
Mayda
This series is intended for grade-schoolers, but adults who are familiar with the Holmes tales will appreciate them, too. The stories contain aspects of the originals, in this case, a falls, as well as puns referring to Doyle’s series. Well written and superbly narrated by Ralph Lister, this mystery series is quite entertaining.
Krista
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, mystery
My son and I enjoyed reading this together. This is the 3rd Basil book we have read and liked. Recommended
Tegan
This was cute, I like the continuing story. There was a lot going on this one, compared to the first one.
Yukiraking
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was definitely book 2. The publication order failed me. But, the characters made a lot more sense. There still wasn't time to really get to know any of them, but their introductions were in this book, and not what I suppose is actually book 3 (which I read second, because of the re-publication order!).

This one reminded me so much of the movie version of Journey to the Centre of the Earth in it's tone and genre that it was almost overwhelming (but it wasn't the book, just the one version of
Megan Lane
Aw, it's cute. Good kid story, on the whole. Not a fan of the whole "primitive cave mice" and "I believe one day we will have thumbs" vague evolutionary bent it had? Not super necessary.
But, The Kindhearted League, and the fact that he's a MOUSE SHERLOCK.
Also there's a waterfall called Bachenreich Falls. So there's that.
Not a new favorite. Lots of kid books go on top of it in the realm of kid books that I love - but it was fun and cute.
Ari
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved the movie, its one of my favorites but i didnt know it has a book series, so when i found it on a shelve at the library i knew i had to read it and i was not disppointed! The puns were great and the story was very enthralling i definitely would like to meet an adorable snowmouse at some point in my life, and i cant wait to read more about the battle between the professor and basil.
Corrie
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was pretty hilarious, to be honest. It was definitely not a read to challenge the mind, but it’s fun in a way that reminds me of the Adam West Batman show. The jokes are just absurd enough and bizarrely places that it’s funny instead of cringey... okay it’s a little bit cringey too, but in a fun way!
Selah Pike
Bachenreich Falls, lol. Cute Sherlockian mystery for kids.
Andrew
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great mouse mystery, but this time it’s a race to the truth against Professor Ratagain on the slopes of Mount Everest (or the mouse equivalent)!
Betty Brown
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Both the book and the illustrations are beyond adorable.
Drew Graham
Jul 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: me

I decided to read this sequel to Basil of Baker Street as part of my Disney source material read-through because this is where the character of Ratigan, Basil's arch-enemy, is introduced. It was an even simpler story than the first book,
Brooke
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My complaint about the first book in this series was that it was not mousey enough. That is made up for in spades in this super adorable story that is filled to the brim with both Holmes references and mouse jokes. Basil and Dawson have to stop the nefarious Professor Ratigan from finding a colony of mice that have been hidden in the Swiss Alps for centuries. Is there a Reichenbach Falls scene? Yep (called Bachenreich Falls in the story--haha). Is there an Irene Adler-esque opera-singing ...more
S. J.
Mar 31, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children, Fans of Basil of Baker St.
Recommended to S. by: Library
It has been years since I read this, so this will be short. When I read it again, I'll rewrite this.

This is one of those inevitable sequels. Basil of Baker Street was amazing. This is...eh. Indian mice, cliche plot twists, little character development; this book is one more example of why children's series are not often thought highly of. If you are reading the series, read it. But I was not very impressed with this one.
Chris
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a very enjoyable, really fast-paced and really well-written children's mystery adventure novel. It had really beautiful illustrations, really great characters, really fun adventure, really good mystery, really cool action and a really nice story. It was a really good finale of the "Basil of Baker Street" book series. I really recommend this book to both children and adults alike.
C.G.
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basil and Dr. Dawson find themselves in Switzerland, in search of a lost mouse colony. Aided by talented mice mountaineers, a fluffy giant mouse, a helpful St. Bernard, and a talented female opera singing mouse. Once again, Basil saves the day, and the mice, and thwarts the evil Professor Rattigan... for the time being.

A cute take on the Sherlock Holmes saga of Reichenbach Falls.
Peter
Nov 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly fun read for adults, engaging for kids. Good vocabulary and sophisticated sentence structure, read aloud 9-11, read alone 10-12. Not quite as engaging as the first in the series. Note that there is a little sexism, wherein a provenly capable female is kicked off a mountaineering expedition because solely due to her gender.
Beth Anne
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, read-aloud
Read aloud to Emma. Not nearly as good as the first book, but the conclusion was exciting. I enjoy the Sherlock Holmes references, especially after having just read a number of them.
Rage
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations are absolutely adorable. There are also some cute allusions (for example, the fight at Bachenreich Falls with Ratigan, the mouse Moriarty).
Joanna
Very cute illustrations. Sherlock Holmes as a mouse... awww. If only Disney kept the same style when they were doing the Great Mouse Detective.
Rob
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book's plot line (see Basil in Baker Street review for my same opinions on this book as well.
It was not my favorite Basil book, but still fun. The kids liked it for a nighttime read-aloud book.
John
Jul 12, 2017
John
Oct 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: How to add older edition with no ISBN? 4 16 Sep 18, 2019 04:53AM

• Captain Underpants and the Big Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 2: Revenge of the Ridiculous Robo-Boogers (Captain Underpants, #7)
  • Captain Underpants and the Big, Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 1: The Night of the Nasty Nostril Nuggets (Captain Underpants, #6)
  • Captain Underpants and the Terrifying Return of Tippy Tinkletrousers (Captain Underpants, #9)
  • Captain Underpants and the Preposterous Plight of the Purple Potty People (Captain Underpants, #8)
  • Ben Franklin's in My Bathroom! (History Pals, #1)
  • Captain Underpants and the Revolting Revenge of the Radioactive Robo-Boxers (Captain Underpants, #10)
  • Ozma of Oz (Oz, #3)
  • Power at the Plate
  • Paintball Punk
  • Bad Kitty Gets a Bath
  • The 26-Storey Treehouse
  • The 39-Storey Treehouse
  • Star Wars: Jedi Academy 3: The Phantom Bully (Jedi Academy, #3)
  • Spotlight Striker
  • Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants (Captain Underpants, #4)
  • The 52-Storey Treehouse
  • To Be Honest
  • Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Oz, #4)
Eve Titus was the author of numerous bestselling and beloved children's books.

Her most famous characters include Anatole, a French mouse and Basil of Baker Street, a mouse who works as a private eye. Her book, Anatole, won the 1957 Caldecott Honor Book award.

She died in 2002 in Orlando, Florida.

Basil of Baker Street (10 books)
  • Basil of Baker Street (Basil of Baker Street, #1)
  • Basil and the Pygmy Cats (Basil of Baker Street, #3)
  • Basil in Mexico (Basil of Baker Street, #4)
  • Basil in the Wild West (Basil of Baker Street, #5)
  • Basil and the Big Cheese Cook-Off (The Great Mouse Detective Book 6)
  • Basil and the Royal Dare
  • Basil and the Library Ghost
  • The Great Mouse Detective Crumbs and Clues Collection: Basil of Baker Street; Basil and the Cave of Cats; Basil in Mexico; Basil in the Wild West; Basil and the Lost Colony
  • The Great Mouse Detective Mastermind Collection Books 1-8: Basil of Baker Street; Basil and the Cave of Cats; Basil in Mexico; Basil in the Wild West; Basil and the Lost Colony; Basil and the Big Cheese Cook-Off; Basil and the Royal Dare; Basil and the...