Start by marking “Someone Else's Skin (DI Marnie Rome, #1)” as Want to Read:
Someone Else's Skin (DI Marnie Rome, #1)

Someone Else's Skin

(DI Marnie Rome #1)

Winner of the Theakston's 2015 Crime Novel of the Year, and a 2014 Richard and Judy Book Club pick.SOMEONE ELSE'S SKIN has been acclaimed as 'stunning' by Mark Billingham and 'superbly disturbing' by the Observer. Introducing DI Marnie Rome, this powerful novel that will enthral fans of Val McDermid, Alex Marwood and Claire Mackintosh.

'A stunning debut' Mark Billingham

Published February 27th 2014 by Headline (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Someone Else's Skin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someone Else's Skin

Start your review of Someone Else's Skin (DI Marnie Rome, #1)
Lisa
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-loved
WHOA just finished reading SOMEONE ELSE"S Skin by Sarah Hilary & i must say i adored this book It took me on a journey that was enjoyable & had disturbing content.

I Thought DI Marnie Rome was one tough nut who would always come to the right conclusion i also had a connection to DS Noah Jake was likable & a very strong character.

Sarah Hilary is a very accomplished author with such subjects as female genital mutilation Spousal abuse & racism issues in one read which many authors
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
2017 Reading Challenge
This year I'm doing a Reading Challenge; so I have 26 books with specific subjects that I need to read.
Book 14:A book with a character with your first name

Initially I thought finding a book with a character with my first name would be difficult, but when then my research prove me so wrong that I actually could pick and choose.
Picking Someone Else's Skin was really an excellent choice!
I fell right into the story.

'DI Rome, slayer of dragons.'

I like the complexity of the characters; especially
Liz Barnsley
Coming February 2014 From Headline

Meet DI Marnie Rome. Several years ago she suffered a tragic loss to a violent act...since then she has struggled to come to terms with it despite her protestations that she is fine. When she walks in on another act of violence at a local womens shelter a journey begins for her and those around her that will take your breath away.....

This was a heart stopping rollercoaster of a ride from start to finish. Brilliantly imagined, totally convincing and utterly
Andrea
May 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
Did enjoy the start of this book did enjoy Marnie Rome character,would give it 3.5 I think it dragged on in parts of this book it could of been shorter but still would read the next book in this series.
Cleopatra  Pullen
I wasn’t quite sure what to expect with this new crime novel, after all it takes something quite spectacular to live up to the billing ‘the crime debut of the year,’ especially in February!

To begin with we have the DI, Marnie Rome who has a troubled past. So far so normal for a crime novel, but in her case her back story include murdered parents which has left her determined to succeed in her job, although her personal life seems a little bleak. Her partner is DS Noah Jake, a Jamaican and gay,
Emma
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
There are so many good reviews of this book and I've gushed about Sarah Hilary elsewhere, so I'm just going to say that if you like crime but you haven't read this series, you're missing out.
Best Crime Books & More
Well, well…now I know what all the fuss is about. I've been reading some great reviews for Sarah Hillary’s debit novel and was excited to see if it lived up to the hype. Thankfully it certainly ticked all the boxes, so much so that I am already reading book 2. DI Marnie Rome (FABULOUS lead characters name I think) is working alongside DS Noah Jake and their new case involves a woman who is seeking solace at a refuge after being brutally attacked by her own family. When they arrive at the refuge ...more
Rebecca Bradley
This book has not yet been released. It’s release date is 27th February 2014. I was lucky enough to get a proof copy in my Theakstons crime goody bag at Harrogate last weekend. It was the first book I picked out of the pile of books I brought home and I’m so glad it was. I’m just sorry that I’ve finished it now and I have to wait so long for DI Marnie Rome book two.

Hilary’s style is enthralling. She captures you in the scene and holds you there effortlessly. Her words flow and her characters
Anne Coates
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once in a while I come across a writer and/or book that makes me sit up and take notice. This happened with Someone Else’s Skin – not only has Sarah Hilary produced an action-packed, fast-paced crime novel but it is one of the best-written ones I’ve read recently. The quality of the narrative is superb. Language and character development is pitch perfect and this was a book I really couldn’t put down.

I won’t discuss the plot – as I am sure other reviewers have done – and so no spoilers! Suffice
Claire
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookbridgr, arc
Review: Someone Else's Skin by Sarah Hilary Someone Else's Skin is the 'crime debut of the year', claims the back cover of Sarah Hilary's first novel. Big words to live up to indeed.Detective Inspector Marnie Rome is brilliant at her job and a rising star in the police ranks. She has also had to fight her way back following the murder of her parents. Marnie is dependable and fierce, if only on the surface. There are secrets swirling beneath the surface that Marnie keeps firmly to herself. But ...more
Elaine
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psycho
This is a very good read, introducing a new detective pair DI Marnie Rome and DS Noah Jake.The story starts when the due visit a battered women’s refuge to try and persuade one of the residents to act as witness in a current case but they walk in on a very dramatic, scary situation. I don’t want to say any more about the plot, so as not to spoil the read for someone else, but suffice to say that it centres around the theme of domestic violence, manipulation and control. Some way into the book I ...more
Karen
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When DI Marnie Rome and her colleague, DS Noah Jake, are asked to attend a woman’s refuge to try and persuade a victim of domestic abuse to give evidence against her brother - the main suspect in another vicious crime, what they originally believed would be a routine visit turns into something far more complex. They arrive at the scene to find the husband of one of the women lying on the floor, the apparent victim of a stabbing. During their investigation for the truth, they have to work their ...more
Christine
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-crime-2014
Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for letting me read this fantastic book.

Marnie Rome and her partner, Noah Jake are visiting a women's refuge to interview a victim. They become caught up in a knife attack. A man has broken into the house and his wife has stabbed him in the chest. Slowly we are drawn into the world of domestic abuse, of it's survivors and it's perpetrators. Sometimes it is not clear who is innocent and who is guilty. As three of the residents of the women's refuge go
Donna Irwin
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed my introduction to Marnie Rome, courtesy of Tracy at TBC's recommendation for the reading . This was well written and well plotted if a little dark and disturbing at times. A bit too gritty and hard to read in places but it added to the strength and impact of the story. Another senior police woman fighting demons to add to my other favourites and I will be looking for the next book shortly! Thanks again to Tracy for the recommendation.
Margaret Madden
I received a copy of this book from Bookbridgr.com in return for an honest review........

Detective Inspector Marnie Rome has seen plenty of murder and mayhem in her life, both professionally and personally. When she is assigned a case involving an honour based crime, it brings more than she had bargained for. Herself and DS Noah Jake find themselves at the centre of an attempted murder in a women's refuge. Someone is not telling the truth and the witnesses are all abused women with plenty of
Richard
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is an amazing novel that has justifiably deserved the great reviews and recognition it has received. In part that is due to the originality of the police investigation, the subject matter and the thrilling unsettling writing. It is a well crafted story about manipulation and control, mostly seen through domestic abuse. What makes it stand out is the various themes it tackles in this seldom reported and written about aspect of power in relationships. So the novel covers violence in Africa, ...more
Sam
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I rate this at 3.5 stars.

Detective Inspector Marnie Rome and Detective Sergeant Noah Jake are investigating a crime and visiting a women's refuge to interview one of the residents. What they discover when they arrive is a man lying seriously injured on the floor, he's been stabbed and is the husband of one of the women. Suddenly Marnie and Noah are in charge of a complex investigation and one that soon spirals out of control.

As well as a couple of storylines concerning the refuge there is also
Adelaide Hunt
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars

I was almost sceptical when I started this one--it felt like there was too much information given away too quickly, like the mystery was missing. And now, even having finished it, I feel like it wasn't the typical mystery. The reveal was closer to the 60% mark than the 90% mark, how I normally like it.

But, surprisingly enough, I still loved this book. It was gripping, and the reveal was brilliant, even if a bit early.

But the characters made it. It's rare that I connect to every single
Kate
Absolutely superb. Twisty, heartfelt, exciting, worrying and confident. I love Sarah Hilary's voice. I've been fortunate enough to have read No Other Darkness already. Now I know that its brilliance was not a one-off.

Tracy Fenton
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very gritty and dark book with pacy chapters which I raced through. quite brutal and disturbing in places but personally I like that in a book! Great characters with interesting backgrounds and I look forward to reading the next book in this series.
BookwormDH
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding novel. Sarah has really gripped the subject matter, and created an emotional, yet powerful crime story. Looking forward to No Other Darkness. Just 5 stars all the way through.
Michael Wood
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent debut novel; edgy, fast-paced, chilling and well written. Realistic characters with heart and a multi layered plot. This is the classic page turner.
MadProfessah
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-read
“Someone Else’s Skin” is the first book in Sarah Hilary’s Detective Inspector Marnie Rome series. The first book is a pretty standard British police procedural mystery but has unique aspects. (I just realized that most British police procedurals I read are murder mysteries but there is no dead body in “Someone Else’s Skin”—only other several serious crimes: attempted murder, kidnapping, sexual battery, wounding and violent sexual domestic abuse.) The primary way in which the Marnie Rome books ...more
Kirstie
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More of a 4.5 but couldn’t give it a four!
Really enjoyed this. The start kind of lost me a bit with all the leads and different routes it may have taken but then it came together and it had me hooked.

A new favorite detective to add to the list!
Janet Emson
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I received a copy of this book from the publishers in exchange for an honest review.

Some secrets keep you safe, others will destroy you…

Detective Inspector Marnie Rome. Dependable; fierce; brilliant at her job; a rising star in the ranks. Everyone knows how Marnie fought back from the murder of her parents, but very few know what is going on below the surface. Because Marnie has secrets she won’t share with anyone.

But then so does everyone. Certainly those in the women’s shelter Marnie
Book Addict Shaun
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I have been very lucky over the past few weeks to receive and review some fantastic books and my good luck is certainly continuing with this one. 'Devastating, brilliant and heralding an outstanding new talent in crime fiction, SOMEONE ELSE'S SKIN is the crime debut of the year' is what it says on the back, and after finishing the book I can safely agree and say that it is the crime debut of the year.... that I've read so far!! I can't wait to see what Sarah brings us next.

I knew I would love
Sojourner
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Someone Else's Skin by Sarah Hilary is the first book in the Detective Inspector Marnie Rome series. Set five years in the past, the novel follows Marnie and her partner Detective Sergeant Noah Jake as they are investigating a crime at a shelter for women where they find a man stabbed and seriously injured. The man’s wife is one of the residents at the refuge. What initially appears to be a simple case turns out to be a complex one, and soon springs out of control.

There are different threads to
Claire
Well I can see why Someone Else's Skin won the Theakstons Old Peculier crime novel of the year award. It's got everything you want in a crime novel: crime, multiple theories twists and a cracking police officer as the main character.

We are introduced DI Marnie Rome and her team. Rome and one of her sergeants, Noah Jake arrive at a women's refuge to quiz a woman about the misdemeanours of her brothers only to find a man bleeding to death from a stab wound and his wife in a state. This chance
Kim
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
D.I. Marnie Rome and her colleague visit a women's refuge to attempt to persuade one of the women, Ayana, to give evidence against one of her brothers, suspected of a vicious attack on her. But when they arrive they find one of the women's husbands has managed to get into the refuge, and suffered life-threatening injury as a result. When the injured man's wife goes on the run from the hospital with one of the other women from the refuge and then Ayana is apparently kidnapped from the refuge, ...more
Caroline Mitchell
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I bought this book because I had heard fantastic things about the author, and I was not disappointed. This is a very strong storyline, with fascinating but harrowing glimpses of the lives of the people within. I really enjoyed reading about Marnie Rome, and look forward to reading the rest in the series. This is an intense fast paced story, with enough twists and turns to keep you gripped throughout. The scene setting is excellent, and the author does a fantastic job of bringing the characters ...more

• Cruel Acts (Maeve Kerrigan #8)
  • The Stranger You Know (Maeve Kerrigan, #4)
  • The Kill (Maeve Kerrigan, #5)
  • After the Fire (Maeve Kerrigan, #6)
  • The Last Girl (Maeve Kerrigan, #3)
  • The Reckoning (Maeve Kerrigan, #2)
  • Crossbones Yard (Alice Quentin, #1)
  • Silent Scream (D.I. Kim Stone, #1)
  • The Burning (Maeve Kerrigan, #1)
  • The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1)
  • Gods and Beasts (Alex Morrow, #3)
  • Dead Inside (Maggie Jamieson, #1)
  • Blood Salt Water (Alex Morrow, #5)
  • The Keeper (DI Sean Corrigan #2)
  • Let the Dead Speak (Maeve Kerrigan, #7)
  • The Red Road (Alex Morrow #4)
  • Evil Games (D.I. Kim Stone, #2)
  • The Benefit of Hindsight (Simon Serrailler, #10)
Sarah’s debut,Someone Else's Skin, won Theakstons Crime Novel of the Year and was a World Book Night selection. The Observer's Book of the Month ("superbly disturbing”) and a Richard & Judy Book Club bestseller, it was a Silver Falchion and Macavity Award finalist in the US. No Other Darkness, the second in the series was shortlisted for a Barry Award. Her DI Marnie Rome series continued with ...more

DI Marnie Rome (6 books)
  • No Other Darkness (DI Marnie Rome, #2)
  • Tastes Like Fear (DI Marnie Rome, #3)
  • Quieter Than Killing (DI Marnie Rome, #4)
  • Come and Find Me (DI Marnie Rome, #5)
  • Never Be Broken (DI Marnie Rome, #6)
“Inside, the air felt stripped dry, charged with static. Now Noah could smell the storm.” 0 likes
“An idea was knocking about in the back of her head, like a moth at a dimly lit window.” 0 likes