Start by marking “The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate: Viewer Guide” as Want to Read:

A New York Times Bestseller
A CBA Bestseller

Are you and your spouse speaking the same language? Dr. Gary Chapman reveals how different people express love in different ways. What speaks volumes to you may be meaningless to your spouse. But here, at last, is the key to understanding each other's needs. Learn the right language, and soon you'll know the profound satisfactio

Published September 1st 2006 by Lifeway Christian Resources

To ask other readers questions about The Five Love Languages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Five Love Languages

Start your review of The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate: Viewer Guide
Kaylee
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First, I don't read these types of books so was almost dreading it - thought it would be extremely dull and take forever to get through. Was definitely not the case. I read the whole thing in two quick sessions.
Second, I'm not in a relationship. So why did I read this? A friend had read it and raved about it and about how everyone should read it to learn about love languages and how it applies to every relationship, whether it's the love of a significant other or a friend.
I cannot agree more.
Heather Chapman
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book upon a recommendation from a friend. Like most self-help (?) books, it was hard to read for longer than 30 minutes at a time, but it was insightful and thought provoking. I've been analyzing my 'love language' in the week since. No luck yet... but I think I know my husband's. There's no question that the advice given in this book is helpful, and I'm willing to try it in my relationships with others.
Tracy Jackson
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This philosophy is well-written, comprehensible, and offered me many ah-ha moments in how to better express love - not my way - in the language that my husband will appreciate it.

The anecdotes were helpful, however, I found myself skimming them because there was so much detail that I couldn’t relate to. Also, at times, there was repetition of ideas that had been well-explained before, so skimmed those paragraphs aw well.

I loved the “your turn” interactive reflection activities, and the book su
Lynn
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I picked up this little self-improvement (?) book after hearing Gretchen Rubin and Liz Craft discuss it on the Happier podcast. Their discussion was a huge aha moment for me. So much of their conversation maybe we want to bang my head against a wall and no wonder my marriage didn't work. Ted was 0 for 5. I also felt it would be useful in discussing loving behaviors and feelings with Zach & Griffin.

For those of you not familiar with the basic concept (and this book is old so I may be the last pe
Esme
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Full of important and useful information
Revealing secrets to good relationships, Gary Chapman unfolds the information we need to know about our significant other in The Five Love Languages. As a young reader of this nonfiction book, most likely written for the an older generation who has a spouse, I found this book very interesting.
Written in a short and easy way to read, it gave you the right information in one go and in shorter than usual chapters, but of course full of revealing information.
Lauren
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gary Chapman writes of five love languages, including quality time, words of affirmation, gifts, acts of service, and physical touch. He talks about the feeling of falling in love verses finding real emotional love. Most people speak one of the five love languages and these are the primary ways that a person could feel love. Relationships begin to waver when couples are unable to speak each others primary love language. The book and suggestions found inside it have the capacity to change relatio ...more
Adrienna
I believe I read this book over 10 years ago and was not only 16 pages via paperback. The five love languages was an amazing book! I strongly believe that most people are aware of this read. I was glad to discover my love language: physical touch. Now, my mate is also physical touch which no words are expressed, we just love to be touched in some form or fashion. I also use words of affirmation since I can see he likes compliments and to feel valued (which I believe is his other language, second ...more
Libby Householder
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life! How incredible to understand yourself and others even if you aren't the best of friends or even friends at all. I always knew that some people like each other and don't like others. However, I was completely unaware of the impact that one's own love language (both expressed and received) plays a vital role in relationships. Who knew?!!
⭐️MidnightSun⭐️
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. There is something to be learn from reading it. Pay attention to your mate. Learn their likes and dislikes. Pay attention to what makes them smile. Pay attention to their actions and always communicate.
Alina Ramona
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
dupa ce trece indragosteala, lumea are nevoie de anumite dovezi de afectiune pentru a se simte fericit. Fiecare are o nevoie primara dintre: cuvinte, atingeri, timp petrecut impreuna, munca care sa le usureze viata sau cadouri.
Simon
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Easy to follow read that everyone has "love language" of the way wives and husbands want to be treated. Eg. "Gifts" or "quality time" etc. Not really any academic or scientific research behind this, appears just authors idea? Did make sense, but some chapters became repetitive.
Cindy West
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found it incredibly hard to put down. It really me think about where I fit.
Willie
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazing framework for keeping the love tank full.
Neeraj Sadarjoshi
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nice read. Great tips and a reimagined perspective on expressing one's love for his / her partner.
ALAGBooks
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: group-in-common
3/15 used by Greg and Sandra W in small group. Along with Mark Gungor's "Laugh Your Way to a Better Marriage " seminar.
Sarena Moore
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, took notes and even went back a few times when I really appreciated a section. Would definitely recommend reading to any of my married friends.
Hannah
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: special-books
Anyone who is in a relationship or thinking about being in a relationship should read this book!
Dan
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it
These sorts of books have limited value as a whole as most folk reading them are either too far gone or the advice is too general to help in real world situations. With that as context, the author does a decent job with supporting his premise.

He is likely right about love languages if we are sorting by his criteria. I suspect understanding this concept is great information no matter what the situation is.

I do think he is a bit binary about things in that one really needs to be great at all fiv
Lynette Caulkins
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who wants a fuller marriage and/or better relationships with their children.
I read this years ago, and it still stands out in my mind as a most helpful work in terms of better expressing our love for, and building connections with, the people who are most important to us. Anyone who wants more insight into building a happy marriage and strong parent-child relationships needs to read this book.

Chapman's message is couched in religious trappings, but its knowledge is more than worthy of ignoring that aspect if you are not religious. The value it contains of understanding
Mae
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have read this book in the past but did not really take it in so I decided to reread the book and really listen to what it was saying. Because I have read it more than once I can say that if you are reading it just out of curiosity but do not really plan on listening or applying... it may be a waste of your time on some level. This book is to help you to understand others but you also get an understanding of yourself. It is a good read and I hope to apply the lesson this time around.
Elise
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this on cd read by Gary Chapman. I took copious notes and reviewed sections more than once. I have a good marriage of 28 years, 5 children and two grandchildren, but like any relationship, maintaining a marriage and family takes a lot of work. I really appreciate Gary Chapman's expertise. My husband is now listening to the CDs. I plan to revisit these CDs again and again.
Tupu Siatunuu
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book for anyone to not only know their significant other better, but to know themselves better as well. It's also a really easy read so there's no excuse not to read it!
Kristie
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The one book I always refer back to for its brilliance in summing up how we love. I gift it to friends newly wedded and regular reflect on how others show and give love.
Kate M
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another 'perfect sense' book. Easy to read and relate to. Not 100% sure of what my love language is, maybe ;Words of Affirmation' and 'Acts of Service'
Julian Ortiz
LaRae Wiley
Dec 31, 2017

• Nothing to Prove: Why We Can Stop Trying So Hard
  • È tempo di andare
  • Jenta som ville redde bøkene
  • Itaca per sempre
  • Cose che nessuno sa
  • Draw the Circle: The 40 Day Prayer Challenge
  • Bianca come il latte, rossa come il sangue
  • Ask and It Is Given: Learning to Manifest Your Desires
  • Surrender to Love: Discovering the Heart of Christian Spirituality
  • Would Like to Meet
  • The Worst Best Man
  • Emotionally Healthy Spirituality: Unleash a Revolution in Your Life In Christ
  • Awk-Weird (Ice Knights, #2)
Married more than 45 years to Karolyn, Dr. Gary Chapman is just the man to turn to for help on improving or healing our most important relationships. His own life experiences, plus over forty years of pastoring and marriage counseling, led him to publish his first book in the Love Language series, The 5 Love Languages®: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate. Millions of readers credit t ...more