Start by marking “A Man's Life: Dispatches from Dangerous Places” as Want to Read:
A Man's Life: Dispatches from Dangerous Places

A Man's Life: Dispatches from Dangerous Places

"Brought to life by a poetic and muscular style, Jenkins’s writing is a brew of history, philosophy, and raw emotion. His journeys are as intellectual and spiritual as they are physical, and we are by his side, in his head." So wrote Robin Russin for the LA Times about Mark Jenkins’s last book, The Hard Way.

In A Man’s Life, Jenkins walks across northern Afghanistan, retrac
Published October 16th 2007 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about A Man's Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Man's Life

Joyce Nelipot
Nov 30, 2016 rated it did not like it

There's so much washing linen in this book. It will dampen your enthusiasm. Others have not tackled it, but I will.
This guy enjoys being an invisible man. Maybe he's not comfortable with his sexuality, craving for more macho cover-ups. My main point is, Don't Leave Your Babies. That a 12,00 feet mountain is dangerously delicious is just Mark Jenknis's incredible vanity. Yes, vanity. Because he wants to be famous in justifying leaving one's family . Because he wants to be with his equally atte
thefourthvine
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: travel-essays
Adventure writing is usually a frustrating read for me - frustrating because the authors are usually willfully, forcibly blind to the levels of privilege and entitlement you have to have just to be a professional adventurer. Mark Jenkins is worth a read if for no other reason than that he gets that - gets that what he's doing is selfish, that adventure consumes resources that will never be replaced, despoils places that should not be despoiled.

He also understands the personal cost of adventure.
James Ritchie
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jenkins is both a man's man and a writer's writer, at least in the context of first person accounts of outdoor adventures, in some of the most exotic and fabled adventure destinations around the world. He has gone to the meccas of outdoor adventure that the rest of us only dream about. He has experienced adventures that most of us would not dare confront. As a writer, he has the skill to draw us into his life and his feelings so that we can share, from the safety of our homes, his feelings and s ...more
Brian
Apr 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jason, Krackie, Joe, Chrissy
This book was absolutely riveting. Jenkins is a frequent contributor to Outside and other magazines, and this book is a collection of his periodical essays. They cover the full gambit. The first section was a bunch of heart-felt essays about how difficult it is to be both an adventurer and a father. There were stories about sneaking into the Congo for a first ascent, following famed Washington alpinist Fred Beckey into the remote Sierra Madre Occidental, sneaking into Burma to interview oppresse ...more
Kyle
Mar 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book makes me want to go outside. It makes me want to sleep outside. It makes me want to sleep outside on a cliff face hundreds of feet up in the air. It makes me forget that I hate bugs, love sleeping indoors, and hate going without coffee in the morning.

After reading it, I planned a new bicycle adventure. We're thinking about 1600 miles through a different country* this summer.It's that kind of book.

* Admittedly, that country is Canada. But close to the French part.
Jaime
I love adventure books. This book makes me want to go to Iceland, the Himalayas, the Grand Canyon (again), and take up mountaineering. At this point will settle for camping out in the living room. Gotta start somewhere!

This is a great book for guys who don't read: short pieces all true stories, tons of adventure and excitement.
Greg Coates
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book collects a series of articles about adventure (e.g. mountaineering, rock climbing) and travel that Mark Jenkins wrote for Outside magazine. They are wonderful, and there were more profound moments than I expected for a book of this type.
Sharon
Jan 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
Each chapter is a different story. Some are great. Most are so,so. Not as good as some of his other books
Jason
Nov 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
"There are many ways to lose your life besides death"
Great book.
Bob Peru
Dec 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
i love me some mark jenkins. da dude lives da fuckin' dream.

the last chapter'll make ya cry. really. like a li'l girl.
Anthony
Jun 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
1) The process is what it's all about.
2) We seek out mentors and teachers
3) Attitude changes everything
4) Vivir la vida
5) Love those around you.
Megan
Jun 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. Part travelogue, part philosophical treatise. At once heart-pounding and thought-provoking. I've never had so many "aha!" moments reading a book.
John
Sep 24, 2008 added it
Pretty cool stuff. He talks alot about culture and history in addition to his adventures.
Alisa Cunningham
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Amazing stories. Made my life seem kind of ho-hum, but that's okay. Maybe one day I can write about my own adventures....
Cri
Oct 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Get ready to feel deprived of adventure!
Brian Blickenstaff
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
There's no denying this guy is a talented long-form journalist. He's also completely fearless. If you can get past his machismo, this book is a good read.
James
Nov 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Thin Air
  • Starlight and Storm
  • The Condé Nast Traveler Book of Unforgettable Journeys: Great Writers on Great Places
  • Forbidden Journey
  • Tiger of the snows: The Autobiography of Tenzing of Everest
  • Mountain Rescue Doctor: Wilderness Medicine in the Extremes of Nature
  • Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair
  • The Impossible Rescue: The True Story of an Amazing Arctic Adventure
“Adventure becomes hubris when it blinds you to the suffering of the human beings next to you.” 4 likes
“Climbing mountains is an act I happen to love, but it is only one form of adventure. There are thousands. In fact, there's one for every human with the passion to push personal boundaries.” 3 likes