Start by marking “Stargirl” as Want to Read:

Stargirl

(Stargirl #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  264,314 ratings  ·  12,802 reviews

Daring to Be Different

In a moving and highly engaging tale about the vagaries of adolescent peer pressure, Newbery Medal winner Jerry Spinelli tells the story of Stargirl, a high school student who is startlingly different from everyone else. The need to conform -- and unabashed curiosity about those who don't -- are at the heart of this touching tale, which aptly demons

Published June 30th 2000 by Scholastic Teaching Resources

To ask other readers questions about Stargirl, please sign up.
Phoebe I do. Once, during a talent show, one girl was singing and she messed up, but a girl I know called out and said 'it's okay!' even when the audience…moreI do. Once, during a talent show, one girl was singing and she messed up, but a girl I know called out and said 'it's okay!' even when the audience was pretty quiet. I don't actually know if it was her, but I'm pretty sure, and she's usually very energetic.(less)
Mike SPOILER MAN IF SOMEONE FINDS THIS COMMENT THEY WILL FIND OUT EVERYTHING ON CHAPTER 2!!!!1!

Emma (Miss Print)
May 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who believes life should be magical
Shelves: owned
Okay, I'm going to say it. Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli is a young adult classic (maybe even a children's classic but that's really a cataloguing issue that I am ill-equipped to discuss). This designation raises the question: What makes a book (any book) a classic? For me it means a book that is timeless; something you can read years and years after it was written without the book losing its vibrancy. A classic also needs to have memorable writing and characters. It needs to speak to the reader. I ...more
Zoë
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in middle school as required reading and absolutely LOVED it, but coming back to it years later, I couldn't help but notice some of its flaws. I got very attached to the story despite it being less than 200 pages and I do love the moral that Spinelli is trying to get across, but I was not a big fan of the characters. Although, with a book this short, exaggerated characters are pretty much a necessity. I recommend this book to everyone, though, especially middle schoolers who feel the ...more
Karen
Jul 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very sweet. I had this book lying around and picked it up to give myself a break from the Holocaust Monster I've been chipping away at for the past month, and it definitely did the trick. The kids seem a little innocent - more like elementary school than high school - but dammit why CAN'T there be beautiful and magical teenagers who hold hands at the movies and give their friends cupcakes and valentines? Why do they have to do drugs and have sex and be JERKS all the time?
Aj the Ravenous Reader

"Nothing’s more fun than being carried away."

Stargirl is the happiest, bravest, most carefree, most non-conformist girl you will ever meet. She is everything every school girl wishes she could be but will never dare to be. She does the last thing someone who wants to fit in will ever do.

• She smiles at everyone.

• She dances in the rain.

• She wears the strangest outfit and wears no makeup.

(Not anything like that. I’m exaggerating. Lol.)

• She sings every celebrant a happy birthday with her u
Ahmad Sharabiani
Stargirl (Stargirl, #1), Jerry Spinelli
Stargirl is a young adult novel written by American author Jerry Spinelli and first published in 2000. The word begins with a brief introduction to Leo at the age of twelve, and chronicles his move from his home state of Pennsylvania to Arizona. Before the move, his Uncle Pete gives Leo a porcupine necktie as a farewell present, inspiring him to collect more like it. After his collection is mentioned in a local newspaper, Leo receives a second porcupine ne
Jared
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Jared by: Kim
Shelves: young-adult, fiction
Stargirl is an amazing book about individuality and nonconformism. A home-schooled girl named Stargirl begins attending the public high school for her sophomore year. Stargirl is different.

She learns everybody's birthdays and on the day of, she sings them a happy birthday song -- accompanying herself on the ukulele -- in the middle of the lunch room, whether they want her to or not. She watches a young boy who lives across the street so that she can create a scrapbook for him without his knowled
Michael
Mar 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some weird reason I couldn't put this book down! You should read it. It grabbed my attention and I am a very picky reader! :)
BATMAN
Sep 27, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poeple who want a reason to cut them selves
Recommended to BATMAN by: a person who didnt deserve a neck so they could make me read thi
Jasmine
Dec 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, ya-younger
it was refreshing to read about stargirl's genuine kindness and individuality. i liked it.

we want to dance to the music in our own heads, but we don't because of the looks, whispers and stares we'd get.

stargirl is the person we all want to be, while leo reminds us of the person most of us are.

i hope one day to be as brave as stargirl
Clare Cannon
Apr 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 11 years - YA (girls)

This is one of those rare reads where you can allow your heart to open up wide and let the story sink deep. A series for every teenage girl: just reading it makes you a better person, teaching you to laugh, to listen, to enjoy, to love, to care...

In spite of the attractive eccentricity of the main character, Stargirl is more real than any other book for teens. It is set in the erratic climate of teen emotions, realistically depicted through ordinary events and conversations.

These are presented
Stephanie
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

It started with a necktie. It ended with a necktie. But not just any kind of necktie and not just any kind of girl would give someone a gift with pictures of porcupines.

I really loved this book. REALLY! I did. I HEART Stargirl. Seriously. I’d been meaning to read it for years and like the last book I devoured, after reading the first 2 pages, I couldn’t put it down; so the other books I’d started before this one got pushed aside so I could get lost in her world. This book had me completely mesm
H
Mar 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel conflicted about this book. I liked the message it had about nonconformity and kindness and being yourself and selflessness, but I didn't like Stargirl. I don't know if it's allowed to say I didn't like her, but I didn't. I respect her and admire her, but there's such a thing as being too thoughtful and kind--as in, disregarding someone's feelings--which really makes it thoughtless and not nice at all. Like, the idea of singing to people on their birthdays during lunch. It's a nice idea, ...more
Julie Zantopoulos
Stargirl was the most pure and precious thing, ever. My Luna Lovegood of today’s world and I want to keep her safe always. I loved this book even though I hated the people around her—but that’s the point, isn’t it? The writing was gorgeous and the characters were real and raw. Definitely a new fave. I will be rereading and annotating this one for sure.
Annalisa
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: looking for a quick/light read
Recommended to Annalisa by: Rosa
Truthfully I did not expect to like this book. I expected a heavily handed tale about acceptance. But here's the thing: I did not like Star Girl.

The story is about a free-spirited girl whose named herself Star Girl who shows up for her first year of public education as a sophomore and the typical apathetic student body doesn't quite know how to respond to her. Normally when I read stories about the quirky outcast, I want to shield them from cruelty of the popular crowd, but I found myself sympa
Madeline
"We joined her as she sang 'Happy Birthday' to us in the lunchroom. We heard her greet us in the hallways and classrooms, and we wondered how she knew our names and our birthdays.
Her caught-in-the-headlights eyes gave her a look of perpetual astonishment, so that we found ourselves turning and looking back over our shoulders, wondering what we were missing.
She laughed when there was no joke. She danced when there was no music.
She had no friends, yet she was the friendliest person in school.
In
Mel
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Edit: dropped to 2 stars

So I originally DNF'd this book at 75% and gave it a 2 star rating. I decided to just go ahead and complete it because all of the things I didn't like made me curious to see how they would be resolved.

I absolutely detested every single character in this book that wasn't Stargirl herself. They were disgusting, judgmental, and overall shitty people.

I didn't really like the plot either. You're supposed to see how shitty these people treat Stargirl and realize that you can
Jazzy
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well this was sad. It was good... but a sad ending.
Nick
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Talia
Jun 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stargirl Caraway is the new girl at Mica Area High School, and in her mysterious first days of school, she reveals herself to be a true unique individual. She plays a ukalele! She carries around a pet rat! She gives little gifts and cards to people she doesn't know! Soon, all of the high school cannot resist her charm, and she has the entire community under her spell. But after a while, Stargirl's actions become tiresome, irritating, and the question rises among her peers: why can't she just be ...more
Heba
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
❤...حقاًً لقد أحببتك يا "ستار جيرل"
لا تظن إنه يمكنك أن تخون نفسك وتصبح آخر لكى يرضى عنك الجميع
عليك ان تكون نفسك ..نفسك فحسب وخاصة إن كنت متصالحاً مع ذاتك و تملك قلباً طيباً مُحباً يسعى دوماً لإدخال السعادة على قلوب الآخرين..
Anna
Apr 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults
Shelves: young-adult, fiction
This was my first Jerry Spinelli read and for the most part I enjoyed it. I'd give it 3.5 stars if that was possible. :)

I can see why kids like his writing style, which is simple and straightforward, yet interesting. The issues he tackles in this book -- identity, conformity/nonconformity, and peer pressure -- are all relevant for middle school-aged readers, which is who this book is best suited for. Also, I think he does a good job of sending the "right" message without being preachy.

At the sa
Maddie
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
This was like reading a John Green book, before John Green books existed. There was just something special about it, that I couldn't quite put my finger on, but I really enjoyed the message behind it!
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Wow. Wow wow wow. This was my first time ever reading this and I loved it SO MUCH. Such a great story. I'll definitely be rereading this in the future.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Stargirl Caraway is an enigma. She's the type of girl that you either love or hate--with no room for any emotions in between. When she first comes to the high-school as a sophomore in small town Mica, Arizona, her name reverberates throughout the hallways. What kind of a name is Stargirl? Was she really home-schooled for all these years, or did she just magically appear in Mica? How can she seem so calm, so serene, why eating quietly alone in the lunchroom, the
Beth A.
Jan 08, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beth A. by: Mom, 2nd Ward Book Club April 2010
Shelves: young-adult
I guess my problem with this story was that I really didn’t buy Stargirl. She’s so self-confident/oblivious that she doesn’t seem to notice or care that the whole school is giving her the silent treatment. She’s extremely kind and compassionate. She meditates, wears floor length dresses and carries a rat around in a sunflower bag. She’s the perfect model of a nonconforming individual.

I wanted her to have some flaws. To be secretly worried about being accepted before Leo explained that it’s impo
NadiaN99
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
این کتاب یه بخشی از قلبتونو تسخیر میکنه.جدی میگم.استار گرل فقط یک دختر نیست.انسانیته.محبته و تمام احساسات گرمی که هر روز تجربه میکنیم و و به خاطر همین روزمرگیشون فراموششون میکنیم.
اگر این کتابو خیلی سطحی فقط بخونید یه داستان بامزست از یه دختر و یه پسر که تفاوت های زیادی دارن ولی .باز هم خیلی شبیه همن.اما اگر یه کوچولو عمیق تر بشیم استارگرل خیلی بیشتر از یه دختر و لئو خیلی بیشتر از یه پسر دبیرستانیه.لئو به همه اهمیت میده.اما واقعا فقط به افکار بقیه و اینکه در بارش چه احساسی دارن فکر میکنه.استارگرل
✰♊ Angie ♊✰
Can't believe I'm just now reading this book.
Everyone should read this.
Everyone.
We need more Stargirls in this world.

Jasmin
Stargirl. This should be the standard for all young adult books. It’s realistic, inspiring and I bet that it’s a story everyone could relate to. Plus, there’s no sex scenes, and just one decent kiss.

The book, is narrated by Leo Borlock’s perspective. He gives us an idea on how different Stargirl could be in a normal person’s point of view. Stargirl, being homeschooled, decides to come out of her shell. She enrolls at Mica High, and fortunately fails to blend in. For odd reasons, such as singing
Lauren
I had high expectations for this book, but I was let down in every way. I got so incredibly bored, but I couldn't live with myself knowing I couldn't finish a mere 186 page book, so I plunged onward. By page 80, bookmarking the craziest sentences was the only way I kept myself sane.

As usual in a ragerant, I shall try to organize my complaints critiques into a list. Spoilers are not marked, proceed with caution. Not that there's much to spoil about this book; it was predictable in every aspect.

So
وتغني لكل منهم عيد ميلاد سعيد فى يوم عيد ميلاده بينما تعزف كما تعودت
الناس
What Did You Think About Stargirl At First? 75 428 Jun 27, 2018 08:17AM
  • Heartbeat
  • The Schwa Was Here (Antsy Bonano, #1)
  • Flipped
  • Silent to the Bone
  • Hope Was Here
  • Zen and the Art of Faking It
  • True Believer (Make Lemonade, #2)
  • Becoming Naomi León
  • So B. It (So B. It, #1)
  • Saffy's Angel (Casson Family, #1)
  • Rules
  • Schooled
  • When Zachary Beaver Came to Town
  • If You Come Softly
  • Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie
  • Sahara Special
  • Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature
When Jerry Spinelli was a kid, he wanted to grow up to be either a cowboy or a baseball player. Lucky for us he became a writer instead.

He grew up in rural Pennsylvania and went to college at Gettysburg College and Johns Hopkins University. He has published more than 25 books and has six children and 16 grandchildren.
Jerry Spinelli began writing when he was 16 — not much older than the hero of his

Stargirl (2 books)
  • Love, Stargirl (Stargirl, #2)
“She was elusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl. We did not know what to make of her. In our minds we tried to pin her to a cork board like a butterfly, but the pin merely went through and away she flew.” 1049 likes
“You’ll know her more by your questions than by her answers. Keep looking at her long enough. One day you might see someone you know.” 532 likes