Start by marking “After the Holocaust” as Want to Read:
After the Holocaust

After the Holocaust

With excerpts from personal interviews and more than sixty-five of the survivors' own black-and-white photographs as well as archival pictures, Howard Greenfeld's landmark book presents an important chapter in history: the story of young men and women after the Holocaust.

Ann, George, Civia, Alicia, Akiva, Judith, Larry, and Tonia. In many ways, these young people are just
Published October 9th 2001 by Greenwillow Books (first published October 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about After the Holocaust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After the Holocaust

Start your review of After the Holocaust
Cat.
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had bought this book awhile back "for my son" so he could do reports. But even at the time I was buying it for me. As much as I've read over the years about World War II, I had not really seen an overview of what happened after the fighting ceased. This follows 8 kids, ranging in age from 11 to 16 at war's end, who somehow had to find a way to restart their lives. Written for the middle grades.

Now I'd like to read something geared toward grownups, because there were clearly a lot of omissions
Eva Leger
Nov 17, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in short stories about survivors lives AFTER the Holocaust
Recommended to Eva by: found on PBS
This is a fairly interesting book. I'm much more interested in the actual Holocaust than afterwards for the most part but one can't deny that the before and after is of great importance also.
I like my survivor stories to be more in depth and this is not that but at the same time it's not something that I couldn't stick with. The people portrayed are very interesting and didn't all have similiar experiences which made for an even more interesting portrayal.
The stories are helped along by person
Meaghan
This is a study of a handful of child or teen Holocaust survivors -- not a study of what they went through during the war, but about what happened to them after. As the author notes, not a whole lot has been written about the post-war experiences of survivors. Certainly they continued to suffer even after Germany's surrender -- their families missing or dead, being unable to go home or unable to stay once they got there, often stuck in displaced persons camps for years on end. But this was a sel ...more
Scott Slinker
I thought this was a very down to earth book, it took a horrible subject that we think of as something that happened a long time ago and a far way away and revealed the people behind it. The people interviewed revealed a very human and real aspect to the holocaust.

I would recommend to anyone who wanted a more personal knowledge of the holocaust by a wide variety of people that survived it. It is very detailed and very human. I would not recommend it to any children under the age of twelve as the
Florence Spurlin
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Not as interesting as I thought it would be :(
Bonnie
Greenfeld, Howard. After the Holocaust. New York: Greenwillow, 2001. Print.
Summary: After the Holocaust tells the personal stories of 8 Jewish survivors of the Holocaust. The book provides a biography of these individuals, along with photos of their families before and after they were interned or went into hiding. This book is not for the faint of heart, but is a realistic account of war and those who suffered through it. It also contains a rich history of life in Europe leading up to the final
Annie
May 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the Holocaust by Howard Greenfield is a non-fiction variety of stories from World War II of Jewish children in hiding. It narrates the hard conditions these children had to live under such as starvation, cold weather, lice infestation, disease, and the worst of all-fear of being captured by the Nazis. However, these children lived to share their stories. A memorable story was of 1944 Zabno, Poland’s Ann Shore who survived hiding. Ann, her sister, and her mother spent two years in a small, ...more
Sydney2adams
I read this book because it fulfilled a non-fiction requirement for my YA lit class. I would have not picked it up otherwise, because generally I don't read non-fiction books.
I'm glad I did pick it up. As a non-fiction book I think it did it's job. It informed me about the Holocaust and a lot of the aftermath of it all. Before reading this book I had know idea what a DP camp was, or how anti-sematic poland was even after the war. I think the most heart wrenching thing about the book was the desc
Bryce  Bodily
I pick this one because I wanted something that talked about the Holocaust. I didn't realize that the Holocaust actually means destruction by fire. It was a horrible event and the destruction that it left in it's wake is something that will haunt us for generations. It was very good but I also became more and more depressed as I read this book. I know it was because of the subject, but it was really hard to read these individual stories.

These people did not deserve to go through what happened t
Rachel
Mar 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eng-430
Really interesting book all about the effects of the Holocaust on seven individuals after the terrors of concentration camps and Nazi invasion were over. I'd never really considered what the victims' lives were like after the war was over and they were liberated, but this book made it clear that their struggles didn't end with the reign of the Nazis. I was amazed to learn about how many were forced to go home even though their neighbors still held strong feelings of anti-semitism. I'd also never ...more
Seth McDiarmid
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eng356
Nonfiction is not my first choice, but we're talking about my second-favorite historical period here, so the task was far from a chore.

After the Holocaust does a beautiful job of using authentic photographs to bring an angle on a period that saw the worst genocide in human history that rarely is focused on. It expands the understanding of the reader without coming across as preachy or morbid.

I rated it low because I don't think young adults will enjoy it at all. In an ideal world they all would
Linda Lipko

After the Holocaust by Howard Greenfeld

Chronicling the horrific fate of those who escaped, were liberated, or came out of hiding after the Holocaust, this story begins where other books regarding the Holocaust left off.

The author interviewed eight homeless, orphaned children/young adults and carefully, clearly documented their tragic lives during and after the Holocaust.

Outlining statistics and stories with photos throughout, Greenfeld's heart wrenching portrayal of displaced, parent less childr
Andrea
It was nice to get out of the fiction sector of young adult literature and focus on something a little bit more realistic. It could be seen as a boring read but learning what happened to the survivors of the Holocaust after the Holocaust was cool. I thought it made it much more personal by having actual pictures of the family members and survivors themselves. The stories were sad and kind of heart wrenching but it wasn't too bad.

Howard Greenfeld did really good at keeping the book professional.
Jared
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eng-356
This book was not what I expected. I guess the title "After the Holocaust" would have given be a hint, right? This was a very refreshing take on one of histories darkest moments. We always talk about the terrible things that happened during the holocaust, but how many of us really think about what came after? How do you go back to living after something like that? This book tells the stories of how many Jews did just that. Amazing book.

I think this book would be good for anyone who likes stories
Jan
Aug 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Children who survived the Holocaust often had no home to return to, or family to comfort them, and had a difficult time adjusting to post-Nazi Europe and continued anti-Jewish sentiment. The author tells the stories -- in their own words -- of 8 orphaned, homeless young adults as they struggled to create new lives out of the ashes of their horrific experiences. Because he divides the book into four sections, it is often difficult to remember which child had which experience in an earlier section ...more
Sydney
Oct 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-lit-2
This was a very interesting read. I found it heartbreaking to read the stories of the people who lived through the Holocaust. I found it interesting how similar yet how different all their stories were.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn more about the Jewish People that weren't in Germany during the war. And those that want to learn more about what they went through.

WARNINGS
Language: some racist remarks
Violence: some violence, not very detailed
Drugs: smoking
Sex: some ki
Lennard Mazyck
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who wants to know about germany
Recommended to Lennard by: one Teacher
The book gets in depth with what happened to the jewish people and how they suffered for so many year. The book starts off at a concentration camp with everyone being divided between men and women. It goes on and on but I think it is an excellent book for people who are in history of germany. So get the book to find out more.
Amber
Sep 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was interesting because I have read a lot about the holocaust, but I never really considered what it was like after. Things weren't just magically better after their liberation. Most people didn't have a family or home or country to go back to. This book chronicles the story of 8 young people and what they went through after the holocaust.
Conner
Dec 10, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: second-quarter
This book was alright in my opinion. It had good facts, but it was kind of boring. So maybe if it had more interesting writings.
It was about the holocaust. Some of the people that were in the holocausts time gave thier stories. It had some of the thing that they had to go through. It was an allright book.
Zona
Oct 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 50-in-2009
A fantastic read. I was so intrigued, I read it in less that two hours. I recommend this book to anyone teaching the Holocaust, looking for more information, or just a different view point, as this is from the memories of the Kinderlager... the youngest victims/survivors of such a horrific past.
"If we forget the past, we are doomed to repeat it."
Liz B
Sep 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, nonfiction
I liked that it followed several different people, following both how they survived the Holocaust and their experiences afterward (DP camps, emigrating to Israel or the US).
Jennifer Mcfarlane
Mar 07, 2012
Rachel Levy
Apr 14, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Czas pogardy (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2)
  • The Middle Finger Project: Trash Your Imposter Syndrome and Live the Unf*ckwithable Life You Deserve
  • Chato and the Party Animals
  • The Misadventures of Maude March (Maude March Misadventures #1)
  • I Survived the Great Chicago Fire, 1871 (I Survived, #11)
  • I Survived the Joplin Tornado, 2011 (I Survived, #12)
  • Hitler Youth
  • Alone in the Ice World
  • 9-11
  • The Right Fight (World War II, #1)
  • Nature Attacks! (I Survived True Stories, #2)
  • Flush
  • Bud, Not Buddy
  • Five Epic Disasters (I Survived True Stories, #1)
  • I Survived the Hindenburg Disaster, 1937 (I Survived, #13)
  • I Survived the Japanese Tsunami, 2011 (I Survived, #8)
  • The Boy Who Dared