Start by marking “Rediscovering Catechism: The Art of Equipping Covenant Children” as Want to Read:
Rediscovering Catechism: The Art of Equipping Covenant Children

Rediscovering Catechism: The Art of Equipping Covenant Children

A contribution to the renaissance of catechism. Investigates the meaning and history of catechizing and outlines practical considerations and steps for productive catechizing.
Published October 1st 2000 by P & R Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Rediscovering Catechism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rediscovering Catechism

Leah
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
4 1/2 stars. I'd give it 5 stars except my preconceived idea of what I would learn from this was slightly different. I expected some practical knowledge of what *I* can and should do to catechize my own children at home. It only peripherally addressed this point.

The excellence of this book lies in another direction: it's comprehensive overview of several things. One, what is catechism? Two, the biblical reason/support for catechisms (new to me). Three, the historical reasons/support for catechis
Daniel Thomas
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, confessions
Top-notch book. Couldn't put it down.
Vincent Stewart
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book for anyone with questions on catechizing your children or curious what catechism is. A highly recommended resource for all Christian parents.
Kathy
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book because of its simplicity and common sense approach to a skill that must be redeveloped in this generation. Our churches are not teaching their children well. In our world (Reformed) we still catechize our children, but in the evangelical world I came from, it was non-existent. It has been the burden of my heart for many years that my own children were not catechized because I knew nothing about its benefits when they were small.

For anyone that has children, heed the sound co
Peter N.
Jul 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It is primarily about the history of catechism and the practical implementation of a catechesis in family life and the life of a church. Pastor Van Dyken is warm and pastoral in his approach, which makes the book a good read for those who may not like the idea of catechizing.
Jacob
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A quick, engaging, great read. Van Dyken did a great job explaining the history and importance of catechizing our children, and the impact it will have not only them but the church as well. Would definitely recommend to others and might re-read. This has made me more serious about catechizing our children and making it more of a priority.
Emily Woodham
Oct 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity, family
LOVED THIS! This was well laid out, inspiring, and full of useful information about the history, whys, and hows of catechizing your children. We don't attend a church that promotes catechism, but we are going to catechise our kids at home.
Brett
Oct 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
It's one thing to know the catechism is a valuable thing. It's an entirely different thing to know why it is valuable.
Douglas Wilson
Feb 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great.
Kyle LaPorte
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
A very practical book about the who, what, why, where, and when's of all things catechetical teaching and learning. Great book.
Daniel
Nov 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good, concise, practical primer on implementing catechism classes in the church.
Justin