Start by marking “Plot & Structure: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Plot That Grips Readers from Start to Finish” as Want to Read:

(Write Great Fiction)

Craft an Engaging Plot

How does plot influence story structure? What's the difference between plotting for commercial and literary fiction? How do you revise a plot or structure that's gone off course?

With "Write Great Fiction: Plot & Structure," you'll discover the answers to these questions and more. Award-winning author James Scott Bell offers clear, concise information
Paperback, First Edition, 234 pages
Published October 6th 2004 by Writer's Digest Books (first published September 22nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Plot & Structure, please sign up.
Dona McCormack Yes. It covers the basics regarding plot and structure, but it does so in an interconnected way. It also gets readers thinking about all the other ele…moreYes. It covers the basics regarding plot and structure, but it does so in an interconnected way. It also gets readers thinking about all the other elements of fictions so they will be planning a cohesive narrative will learning about plot and structure. One place this may fall short is narrative form and shape, which can interact with plot in interesting ways.(less)

Start your review of Plot & Structure: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Plot That Grips Readers from Start to Finish
Jason Koivu
The best book on how to write genre fiction I've ever read! Novelist and screenplay writer James Scott Bell has won awards for inspirational fiction. I say he deserves awards for inspirational non-fiction! So many of his books are how-to-write guides and even if only a small portion of them are as helpful as this one, he's a bloody writing guru!

Plot & Structure is part of the Writers' Digest series, Write Great Fiction. Most writers are quite aware of Writers' Digest. Before the internet, WD pub
Heather
Mar 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: wrtiers who struggle with plot like myself
Recommended to Heather by: the library shelf
Shelves: writing-guidance
This is a great book to explain what you probably already knew about plot but you just need someone to smack you over the head with it so you can get it right for once.

My biggest compliment to this book is explaining plot in simple terms. And he actually does a good job. After reading this book, I was Coraline in theatres and was able to trace just about every element of plot as I watched the movie. Which is weird for me because I've never been able to do that before.

And you know what? It didn't
Julie Christine
If you're going to read a book about Plot and Structure, entitled, helpfully Plot and Structure, don't be shocked when the author spends most of his time discussing Plot and Structure. It may surprise you to learn that most commercial fiction is written to a tried-and-true formula that sells a shocking number of badly-written books. If you read a lot of commercial (I.e. genre) fiction, you should know this. If you don't you should know this. Either way it's terribly depressing, but James Scott B ...more
Scott
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
A great resource if you aspire to be a writer of formulaic bestsellers. Less useful if you're looking to write misunderstood, avant-garde literary masterpieces. If you fall somewhere in the middle of that spectrum, you will likely find the book useful in that it will teach you the formula so that you can use as much (or as little) of it as you would like.

It's also a very readable book, not as dry as some books on how to write.

Here are some of the highlights:

Successful books need four elements, a
Lewis Weinstein
Jun 12, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: writing
Can't hurt, from time to time, to think again about things I should already know, but maybe don't.

In 10 minutes ... I've decided to write a character essay for both Berthold and Anna. Where did they start? How have they changed? What caused the changes? Were there surprises? ... and then, looking forward, how do I currently think they will change from 1936 on? What will cause these changes? What surprises yet lie ahead? I have of course thought about these things, but I have not written them dow
Ahmed  Ejaz
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.75 Stars
I have no words to describe this book. It is one of the best book I ever read. It makes me feel like, "Nobody born a writer, everybody can write". The only thing there is need of Tips, Techniques and Confidence; which this book have.

THINGS I LIKED:
- In the beginning, this book clears out every lie which we have been hearing since from the beginning of our first day like; "Writing could not be taught, Writers are born."

It tells us the following:
- The meaning of plot and structure.
- How
posthuman
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Over the years, I've read hundreds of books about writing and this has been one of the most helpful.
Jonathan Peto
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
James Scott Bell’s approach is very welcoming, very encouraging. His introduction, for example, tries to put to rest the big lie, that writing can’t be taught. His chapter on generating plot ideas is absurdly obvious, yet also pleasing. If you doubt you can achieve an acceptable level of competency as a fiction writer, Bell may be able to prove you wrong, so if you have a story to tell, I believe this will help, most especially if you are somewhat a beginner.

I benefited for other reasons, I thin
Kristie Cook
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for a book that will teach you how to write better stories with multidimensional, memorable characters and believable and exciting dialogue, this book is not for you. It's not about the writing or the characters' quirks or the dialogue. This book is about the fundamental building blocks of storytelling - plot and structure.

Bell provides techniques that will help you build a solid foundation to your story, even if you're a pantser. Even if you've already written a draft or two.
John
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: creative-writing
A decent discussion of three act structure, but Bell peppers his prose with marketing/advertising cliches, such as various acronyms that promise the formula for a successful novel. One of them, ending with K, emphasizes the need for a "KNOCKOUT ending."

At various points in the book, he expresses contempt for the ambitions of any authors who would lean more to a poetic style, thus deviating from his formula. Good thing that neither Joyce nor Faulkner ran into him at an impressionable age.

Mr. Bel
Suzanne
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've binged on writing books in recent weeks and this is by far my favorite. It's not the first one to cover plotting and structure, but something about this one resonated with me more than the others.

It's partly Bell's voice that was so effective for me -- he's delightfully unassuming. He offers plotting systems for both outliners and non-outliners and leaves the whole process feeling very modular. It's easy to pick and choose and experiment with the systems he suggests. That sort of experimen
Kathy Davie
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in writing fiction
Excellent how-to manual on writing fictional novels.

My Take
Wow! Bell has created an amazing work that gets right down to business in explaining plot and structure for your novel. Without going into a great deal of theory, he provides the framework to get you started, keep you writing, and polish it up from soup to nuts with plenty of suggestions for hooking the reader, the need for (and the basics on how to create) the hero/heroine of the story and the requirements for their Opposition charact
Donna
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I took a writing course this fall, and a fellow class member recommended this book by James Scott Bell. I appreciated the author's straight forward direction on the basic plot structure. It gave practical ideas mostly on the organization phase of certain plot elements, which is a problem I notice when reading. I tend to pay attention to the writing, sometimes even more than the story.

I also looked this author up on GR to see what his novels were rated and they had higher ratings. So now I need
Taka
Nov 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Hats off to Mr. Bell--

Of all the books on writing I've read, this is by far the most helpful in terms of crafting one's story, whether it be a short story or a novel.

The most helpful part of it comes from its simple model of story: Lead, Objective, Confrontation, Knock-Out. True, this model has been expounded on by other books, like Robert McKee's Story, James Frey's How to Write a Damn Good Novel, and Jerry Cleaver's Immediate Fiction, but none of them broke it down to the right level of detail
Douglas Wilson
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wordsmithing
I enjoyed this book. Good sturdy advice on fiction structure and plotting.
R. Watt
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on plot and structure, and a very easy and entertaining read as well. Highly recommend for anyone interested in writing.
Charles Kato
Jul 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Before taking a stab at my first real story I have decided to read two books on the art of writing fiction; "Techniques of the Selling Writer" by Dwight Swain, and the book I am reviewing now, "Plot and Structure" by James Bell. While Swain's book was more of an all inclusive manual on writing interesting fiction, Bell's book is focused strictly on, as the name suggests, plot and structure.

What this book is not... This is not a 'how to write a novel' book; if you are going to just read one book
Cora Foerstner
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Plot & Structure: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Plot That Grips Readers from Start to Finish by James Scott Bell may be the best book for plotting and creating structure in fiction stories that I’ve read.

I have a few instructional writing books I reread; this is one of them.

Plot & Structure works for writers who don’t use outlines and for those who do. Throughout Bell acknowledges and addresses how his ideas about plot and structure can be used by all writers. This isn’t a “my way or
David
Mar 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Sometimes I hate myself and my need to finish reading anything I start, no matter how boring or how terrible it is. This book is the absolute worst example of this.

My experience with this book was akin to being told some mildly useful advice by someone you can’t stand, find painfully boring, and have trouble taking seriously. There is a lot of good, if basic, information here, but it’s a boring and sterile read that makes writing seem soulless and mechanical; and I find it hard to look past Jame
Elfscribe
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
Lots of good, practical information. The approach is somewhat functional and formulaic, geared more towards commercial fiction: movie scripts or thrillers that employ the standard structure of taking an engaging lead character, giving him/her an objective, putting obstacles in her path, and ratcheting up the tension to an explosive finish. This is what the author characterizes as the LOCK approach: Lead, Objective, Confrontation (or conflict),and Knock-out. It is a tried and true storytelling ap ...more
Delaney Diamond
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I can't say enough good things about this book! I have so many sections highlighted and notes in the margin. I'm sure I'll be returning again and again to it to refresh my memory on how to write an engaging story.

I didn't pay much attention to the exercises, although I'm sure there are writers who will find them beneficial. I was more interested in the suggestions and truly practical approaches to writing.

The chapter on brainstorming was excellent. How to plan a story when you're not a plotter
Whitney
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was actually the second time that I've read this book. The first time, for some reason, I didn't mark it as read on Goodreads. I enjoyed Bell's, the author, writing style. I liked the way that he " talked" to the reader. I also appreciated that he didn't try to force one way of plotting and structure down the reader's throat. He was very open and was clear that there are many different ways to plot and structure your novel. He also gave a lot of examples. I look forward to reading more of h ...more
Mephistia
Nov 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The information in this book is assembled in an accessible, enjoyable format. Mr. Bell breaks up the chapters with suggested exercises for improving ones writing techniques, all of which are useful. The lessons themselves are conveyed in a friendly, conversational style, with anecdotes and personal examples. I chose this book as a supplementary guide in an Independent Study course, and recommend it as a useful, applicable work to any serious writer.
Anne Hamilton
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A really quite superb book full of thought-provoking examples, go-get-'em ideas and compelling extracts. An easy, accessible style makes this a joy to read.
Una Tiers
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lots of good material here, will need to read it again.
Stephanie Swanbeck
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Flawless and inspirational. A must -read for all fiction writers.
Alina
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Actual Rating: 2.5

This is a very lopsided book. For those interested in writing commercial fiction (e.g. adult suspense/thriller novels), this might be the book for you, especially if you like to write in a formulaic manner. What does that entail? A lot of graphs and chart usage, such as having things happen at 10%, 20%, etc. within your story. In addition, within the first half of the book, the author has a tone that continually warns writers to NOT think out of the box, then in the second half
ZaBeth  Marsh
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to ZaBeth by: Susanne
Much like his in-person classes, when you finish Bell’s Plot & Structure you will feel better prepared to write a novel. This should be prerequisite reading for NANOWRIMO but you need to read it in January because there are a lot of exercises which are excellent prewriting work you could do before November that can truly impact your work. The more work you put into plotting and structure the easier your book will flow. This holds true for outliners and fly-by-the-seat-your-pants writers (affecti ...more
Castles
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
By all means, this book is very good. It got some useful lessons and tips and I respect the experience the author went through and his decision to share it. I will sure try to apply some of those tips myself.

The only little thing I didn’t fully related to in this book is that it’s somewhat very much American oriented. It’s as if it’s meant for thriller or detectives novel writers. Nothing wrong with that of course, but for me, I’m really interested in experimental writing. Some of my favorite w
Bailey T
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredibly helpful with writing plot and structure. I had been discouraged with my writing and inability to actually come up with a decent plot. This book gave me the information and tools necessary to help me come up with a structure to what I am writing. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to write!

• Characters and Viewpoint (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Writing Fiction for Dummies
  • Writing the Breakout Novel
  • How to Write a Novel Using the Snowflake Method
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • Save the Cat! Writes a Novel
  • Creating Character Arcs: The Masterful Author's Guide to Uniting Story Structure, Plot, and Character Development
  • How to Write a Dynamite Scene Using the Snowflake Method (Advanced Fiction Writing Book 2)
  • Structuring Your Novel: Essential Keys for Writing an Outstanding Story
  • 20 Master Plots: And How to Build Them
  • Show, Don't Tell: How to write vivid descriptions, handle backstory, and describe your characters’ emotions (Writers’ Guide Series Book 3)
  • Mastering Suspense, Structure, and Plot: How to Write Gripping Stories That Keep Readers on the Edge of Their Seats
  • The Art of Fiction: Notes on Craft for Young Writers
  • Self-Editing for Fiction Writers: How to Edit Yourself Into Print
  • Beginnings, Middles & Ends (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • 5,000 Words Per Hour: Write Faster, Write Smarter
  • Story Genius: How to Use Brain Science to Go Beyond Outlining and Write a Riveting Novel (Before You Waste Three Years Writing 327 Pages That Go Nowhere)
  • The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller
Jim is a former trial lawyer who now writes and speaks full time. He is the bestselling author of Try Dying, No Legal Grounds, Presumed Guilty, Glimpses of Paradise, Breach of Promise and several other thrillers. He is a winner of the Christy Award for Excellence in Inspirational Fiction, and was a fiction columnist for Writers Digest magazine. He has written two books in the Writers' Digest serie ...more

Write Great Fiction (5 books)
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
  • Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting Dynamic Characters and Effective Viewpoints
  • Description & Setting
  • Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft Into a Finished Novel

News & Interviews

“In fact, one could argue that the skill of the fiction writer boils down to the ability to exploit intensity.” 15 likes
“Ernest Hemingway had a rather personal way to describe first drafts. To paraphrase, he said all of them are like, ahem, biological waste.” 2 likes