Start by marking “The Star Wars” as Want to Read:
The Star Wars

The Star Wars

(The Star Wars 0-8)

Before Star Wars, there was The Star Wars! This is the official adaptation of George Lucas’s rough-draft screenplay for what would become Star Wars—the film that changed motion pictures and the world. You’ll see familiar characters and places—but not all is the same in this long-ago and faraway galaxy. Still, strap yourself in for high adventure and lazersword duels, Jedi ...more
Published July 23rd 2014 by Dark Horse (first published July 22nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Star Wars

Forrest
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Somewhere, deep inside of me, a piece of an eight-year-old boy died a horrible death. This is a graphic novelization of George Lucas' original rough-draft screenplay for what would eventually become Star Wars. Now, the eight-year-old me that originally saw the movie might actually have liked this version, given the intense action sequences and . . . and . . . *SOB!* - this book is a hot mess!

Do not read this graphic novel if you are looking for:

1) Good dialogue.
2) Clear differentiation between c
Jerry
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
In years past, while sleeping, my mind would come up with "alternate" versions of movies, and show them to me in my dreams. They may have had characters and locations in common with the original films, but, as soon as I woke up, I knew that wasn't the way the film went. This alternate version of A New Hope is like one of those dreams. While I'm glad this wasn't what we got in celluloid form, it's still fun to see a very different take on Lucas' space opera.
Peter Derk
Aug 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I don't normally explain a rating. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine. "This is really a 3.5". Great. In this case, an explanation is needed.

THE Star Wars is an adaptation of George Lucas' original rough draft for Star Wars. When rating, it's hard to say what's horrible because of the source material and what's horrible because it's horrible. Benefit of the doubt, it's a competent comic, but good god is the story all sorts of fucked up.

I don't know what happened to the Star Wars screenplay between
Erma Talamante
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: needs-reviewed
Review pending...
Trike
This story is terrible, to be frank. The only reason I gave it two stars instead of one is because of its historical interest and because the art by Mike Mayhew is really quite good.

I can't really be too harsh in judging this mess of a story, with its overly busy plot, lame characters and clunky dialogue, because it is a rough daft, after all, and George Lucas never intended for this to be seen. At least, I hope not. Even by the standards of the early 1970s this is pretty ridiculous. It's not ev
Brandon St Mark
This was really cool!

I liked the artwork a lot, however the red lightsabres kinda threw me off (as in, Jedi and Sith use red ones). It was also weird seeing R2 without his blue paint job.

I wouldn't mind if for the 50th anniversery LucasFilm/Disney adapted this for a film, and maybe we could get the intented sequel to this. I dunno, I think a lot of the casual fans would get confused, but I think it would still be cool to see.

Anyway, if you're not a huge Star Wars fan, this might not be worth you
Trekscribbler
Aug 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Behind every great story is obvious a story about that which never got told: namely the original tale. From the script to the screen is one thing, but what about from the writer’s head on to the initial page? That’s what makes THE STAR WARS – a retelling of George Lucas’s rough draft – honestly even worth the time of day. After all, there’d be zero interest in revisiting any number of forgettable films that come out of Hollywood, but this is STAR WARS! This is the film that shaped a generation o ...more
Simon
Oct 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Wow. Just. Wow.

What an unutterable heap of shite.

I should maybe have known when the first issue opens up with 'officially approved by george Lucas!' That things were maybe going to be bad. But this was so unbelievably bad that I was reading with just that sense of slow-motion train-wreck.

I'm not even sure where to start. It makes Phantom Menace look like Shakespeare.

Okay, there's a sequence where Princess Leia turns to the Skywalker character, and completely out of nowhere, for absolutely no rea
Bert
Dec 31, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comic-book
If you ever longed to see what George Lucas' original story for Star Wars was like: read this comic. And then you'll realize that all of the things that are so crap about the prequel movies is right here: odd pacing, unrealistic timelines, absurd developments,... I wonder how this mess ever resulted in the first Star Wars movie; Lucas obviously must have had a lot of help along the way.
Jonathan Maas
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All I can say is that I am grateful that this exists in the first place!

Great adaptation by J.W. Rinzler and great art by Mike Mayhew - but most importantly - so cool that it is here!

This book, which shows George Lucas's very different first draft of Star Wars, takes a while to get used to. But once you drop all your preconceived notions, it's great. I'd advise it to anyone, especially to that Star Wars fan in your life who has seen it all - but not this.
Vince
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
pretty good comic. interesting to see how the original rough-draft of the screenplay was gonna unfold but I will say that I'm glad he revised and edited it to what we have now.
Tasha Robinson
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This graphic-novel adaptation of George Lucas' first-draft Star Wars screenplay isn't necessarily good — the writing is often clunky, there are way too many characters without characterization, and there's a god-awful stupid love story consisting more or less of Princess Leia telling Anakin Skywalker, "Hey! You punched me in the face because you're a jerk, but I suddenly love you for some reason!" and him telling her to shut up and stop being childish… but then, about five panels later, while al ...more
Q.
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Thank goodness the original Star Wars has multiple rewrites. Don't get me wrong, this is a nice what could have been look at George Lucas's magnum opus, but I'm glad we got the film we got.

So here's the main differences present in "The Star Wars":

>Plot-The plot is mostly similar to "A New Hope" with a dash of "Return of the Jedi".

>Characters-There are too many characters without well defined personalities. Luckily most of these characters have were combined with others and given their i
Melissa
Sep 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Well, reading this will make you happy that you watched Star Wars & not this on the big screen as a child (if, you know, you did that).
Víctor Torre González
No sé hasta qué punto es justo que le ponga esta nota a algo que es un borrador de guión, pero bah, es mi GR y me lo tiro como quiero (?).
Claramente el guión final se benefició de las sucesivas revisiones y no me refiero sólo a la hora de construir la mitología e imaginería de Star Wars (que también). Los personajes son, en el mejor de los casos, soportables y la trama avanza a golpe de deux ex machina. En cuanto al dibujo, el artista es bastante mediocre. Estoy seguro de que su método de dibujo
Blake
Jul 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
It is interesting but so so bad.
Matthew Ardill
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans, film buffs, old school space opera fans, pulp serial fans
Dark Horse for around 20 years held on to the license for producing Star Wars comics and in that time created some great Star Wars stories. The Star Wars was one of the final projects Dark Horse Comics launched with this license back in 2014. Soon after the publishing of this series the rights to publish all future Star Wars comics and graphic novels switched over to Marvel who have put out some amazing Star Wars universe building material. I hate to say it, and this is through no fault of their ...more
Jake
When I apprenticed at a professional theatre company, I had the chance to observe script development. I watched other writers take their scripts through succeeding drafts. One character might disappear. Other characters might be combined. Lines spoken by one person in an earlier draft might be spoken by someone else in the next. It was sometimes frustrating when the writer changed something you liked, but the creative process remained intriguing.

The Star Wars is based on a rough draft screenplay
Matt Bromagin
Jul 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
Boy, was this bad. While the Dark Horse Star Wars comics have always suffered from pretty shoddy writing, bad dialogue, and art that's just good enough to get the job done, I've always been able to overlook that because there were some decent Star Wars tales underneath all that. The Star Wars is not one of those tales.

The Star Wars is a comic book adaptation of George Lucas's original first draft script for Star Wars. The problem here is if the first draft was any good, the movies would have mor
Jordan
Aug 10, 2015 rated it liked it
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away....

No, not that Galaxy Far, Far Away. This is a very different Star Wars than the one you and I grew up with. A maskless, non-Force-using Darth Vader leads the assault against Aquilae, the last holdout against Imperial power, whose military is led by the legendary Jedi-Bendu general Luke Skywalker and his apprentice Annikin Starkiller. Han Solo is a less-mossy version of DC's Swamp Thing. Yeah, you read that right. This is an official comic adaptation o
Paul Decker
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is quite the different sort of Star Wars comic book. George Lucas's early rough-draft screenplay was used as source material. This book does not take place in the same world as everything else Star Wars you know. Because of this, I think only true Star Wars fans will enjoy this.

The tropes, themes, and style of Star Wars is all there, but slightly off. There are many big changes from the known Star Wars. The ingrained essence of Star Wars like lightsabers, Jedi, Sith, and the Force are all
Marc Pastor
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Adaptació del primer borrador de Lucas per a Star Wars.
Si això s'hagués portat al cinema, avui dia no parlaríem del fenomen cultural que representa la trilogia galàctica. Seria una simple space opera més, amb moltes dificultats narratives i uns personatges amb zero carisma.
Res del camí de l'heroi ni el conte de fades interestelar: una historieta confusa on res està ben definit i la trama avança a trompicons. Hi ha escenes reconeixibles de la pel·li original, hi ha noms coneguts en cares que no
Bruce
Oct 13, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a very different sort of read on a very familiar subject - a graphic novel based on one of George Lucas's early script treatments for what would eventually become the Star Wars trilogy. It's fairly well known that Lucas spent 4 or 5 years writing and rewriting his script, shifting plotlines and characters around fluidly in the process. This book therefore reads like a Bizarro version of Star Wars, with familiar names, places and plot details oddly jumbled. In The Star Wars, Luke Skywalk ...more
Dan
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Anakin is Luke, Chewbacca is basically an Ewok, and Han is Swamp Thing? This is not a comic version of Episode IV, it is based off of Lucas' original rough draft of A New Hope.

You do get to see a lot of glimpses of bits and pieces from all six movies (sorry, no Jar Jar), and it makes you glad that they decided to expand this out past just one movie.

I'm giving this three stars for novelty alone. The story is a rushed mess that feels like entire parts are missing , and would otherwise garner one o
Cindy
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After reading this graphic novel, and with the hind sight of having seen the original 3 films many times, this book still blew me out of the water. The inter-mix in George Lucas's rough draft of new aspects to The Star Wars story and familiar elements I have come to know and love after so many years and so many viewings have now a new meaning. This is a must read for Star Wars fans. A fun ride with elements of the known intermixed with the unknown. I believe you would would love the ride as much ...more
John
Feb 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
I understand the idea behind this book. But I am glad as hell this was not the movie they made. This is why there are ROUGH drafts. This could have been an ok B movie, but the 2012 John Carter was better by far. Why mention John Carter? This reads like a rip-off of an old Edgar Rice Burroughs story. Then Lucas put it back into the story hopper and got Star Wars. This though, was not that story and pales immeasurably.
The worst part, I read the whole thing even though I wanted to stop.
Jaime
This was super interesting to read. As a huge fan of Star Wars, I loved seeing the aspects of the rough draft that were adapted and changed into what is the franchise story line today. Especially since some of that stuff wasn't used until the prequels or even Episode VII.

Also how much longer until they make this into a movie? Because I would totally watch it...
Seizure Romero
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only the hardest of the hardcore fanpersons.
This is kinda terrible but it's interesting to see what Lucas originally had in mind. Extra star for art. I recommend borrowing this from the library or reading it while sitting in your local Barnes & McNoble. You really shouldn't pay for it. That would just encourage them to do it again.
Mark Morabito
Aug 22, 2015 rated it liked it
3 of these stars are for the awesome art and the amount of work it took to get this turned into a reality.
0 of these stars are George Lucas's terrible story. Terrible.
David
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots to like here. This artist Mike Mayhew is amazingly good. This is a much more complicated story that A NEW HOPE and it's more likable for it. Strongly recommended to all Star Wars fans.
  • Star Wars: Legacy II, Vol. 1: Prisoner of the Floating World
  • Star Wars: Agent of the Empire, Volume 1: Iron Eclipse
  • Star Wars: Knight Errant, Volume 2: Deluge
  • Star Wars: Crimson Empire III: Empire Lost (Star Wars: Crimson Empire #3)
  • Blood Ties - Boba Fett is Dead
  • Star Wars, Volume 2: From the Ruins of Alderaan
  • Jedi vs. Sith
  • Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Cry of Shadows
  • Star Wars: Rebel Heist
  • Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Lost Command
  • The Lost Suns (Star Wars: The Old Republic Comic, #3)
J. W. Rinzler has authored seventeen books including two New York Times bestsellers and a #1 best-selling graphic novel. With more than 600,000 copies in print, his books have been translated into seven languages.

Born in Lakewood, New Jersey, J. W. Rinzler grew up in Manhattan, New York City, and then in Berkeley, California. He fell in love with old monster films, such as Dracula and Frankenstein

The Star Wars (10 books)
  • The Star Wars (The Star Wars, #0)
  • The Star Wars (The Star Wars, #1)
  • The Star Wars (The Star Wars, #2)
  • The Star Wars (The Star Wars, #3)
  • The Star Wars (The Star Wars, #4)
  • The Star Wars (The Star Wars, #5)
  • The Star Wars (The Star Wars, #6)
  • The Star Wars (The Star Wars, #7)
  • The Star Wars (The Star Wars, #8)