Start by marking “Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi, Volume 3: Force War” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi, Volume 3: Force War

Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi, Volume 3: Force War

(Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi #3)

The alien Rakata--powerful users of the dark side of the Force--invade the Tython system to enslave the Je'daii! With Forcesabers in hand, the Je'daii, teamed with mad Daegen Lok and the mysterious Force Hound Xesh, meet the Rakata and their fierce Flesh Raiders in battle. But an attack on the Rakatan stronghold leads to Xesh's capture, the revelation of a spy, and new kno ...more
Published June 24th 2014 by Dark Horse Books (first published June 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Matthew
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, kindle, sci-fi, 2017
Kinda cheesy – but action packed escapist entertainment. Enjoy seeing the early days of the Jedi (in this case Je’daii). I believe this is the end of the earliest graphic novel series in the Star Wars universe (Canon vs Legends be damned!) I am working my way through all the books, so another milestone reached!

I think the artwork in this series was an improvement over the previous series. Maybe still a couple of odd faces, but nothing like the faces from the previous one.

One oddity I noticed wit
Iset
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars

Well, it didn’t get any better, but it didn’t get any worse. With each instalment in this series I find that a gripe I previously had is corrected, but I have a new gripe which prevents me from rating it any higher than its predecessor. With this final volume in the series we’re right in the heart of the story here, so I’m happy from the point of view of being right in the thick of things. At last all the threads introduced previously are coming together, and indeed a resolution has to be reache
Dan
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this. It's about before the Old Republic, and before there were Sith( they were called Force Hounds). Star Wars pre-history story.
Ivy
5 stars

Glad they were able to stop the Rakata and the Flesh Raiders. Also glad that Shae Koda and Xesh/Tau got together.

Can't wait to read more Star Wars comics!!!
Jared
Star Wars Legends Project #4

Background: Dawn of the Jedi: Force War was released in five issues from November 2013 to March 2014. The trade paperback was released in June 2014. It was written by John Ostrander and pencilled by Jan Duursema, returning to complete the final arc in the Dawn of the Jedi series they began with Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi, Vol. 1 - Force Storm (my review here) and continued with Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi, Volume 2: Prisoner of Bogan (my review here).

Force War begi
Jordan
Here we go again, diving one last time into the ancient history of the Star Wars universe. Obviously, this will contain spoilers for the previous volumes of the series, Force Storm and Prisoner Of Bogan.

Jumping forward a year from where we left our heroes, we find the Tython system embroiled in full-scale war. The Rakata have arrived in force, capturing several of the outlying planets before being turned back by the combined forces of the Je’daii and the other Tythans under the command of Daegan
Jason
This is a review for the whole series (3 volumes)

What I liked most, I think, is that the creative team went with classic fantasy imagery (warrior women with swords on flying dragons, Conan, Red Sonja, that sort of thing) to tell a Star Wars story that takes place over 30,000 years before Yavin (since the Disney purchase, these stories would be considered legends as opposed to pseudo-canon like they were before). That aesthetic is about the only thing that gives the series and characters an "old"
Jedi Sunni
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Issue #1

I liked this issue steeped in war. This was definitely an action packed issue with head flying all over the place. There were also quite a few reveals and a romance of sorts on the rise. There was also what I thought to be a romance but looks a little fizzle at the moment. The art still as beautiful with great depictions of emotion. great issue!

Issue #2

A really good continuation with some good action but most setup. I really enjoy the art and the character development is consistent as we
Malcolm Cox
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the very last non-Disney Star Wars stories to come into existence and certainly goes out with the big bang. Set one year after the events of Prisoner of Bogdan. This was a terrific finale chock-full of exciting action, double-crosses and some very interesting developments. I liked how there was more detail in the back-story, but at no time was it to the detriment to the main story. There were also a couple of really interesting relational developments, particularly between Shae Ko ...more
Jorge
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
"This is not treachery... this is rebellion!"

With this one I had more or less the same feelings as with previous volumes. The art is great, the narrative is strong (although a bit confusing or rushed sometimes) and there is much enjoyment in the pages, but they still lack something. Probably this is the best volume of the series and the most engaging, despite sharing all the same problems (lack of originality, seeming to be dated around BY), and as a standalone comic it is much better than as th
Reuben
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, star-wars
Great finish of a comic trilogy
Ekenedilichukwu Ikegwuani
Extremely rushed, one of the main characters completely disappears, and i feel like the time jump from the last one was a little confusing in the beginning.
Julie
I think I'm getting used to the art by now. This book involved a game of Musical Loyalties, but it was interesting. It answered some questions left over from Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void.
Ilias Avramidis
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Now that i finished the third volume i just wish that i'd see some more of this war, thsese guys and their adventures. Hopefully a spinoff SW movie or mini series someday.. For now i'll do my best getting my hands on a copy of Into the Void, the only thing that's left to read from the era before the republic. Great work all together! 5*
Charles
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
In the Star Wars graphic novel timeline, the point of before and after distinction is the time of “Star Trek IV: A New Hope.” The two eras are referred to as BSW4 (before Star Wars 4) and ASW4 (after Star Wars 4). The timeframe of this story is 36,000 years before SW4. It is a time when the users of the force are called the Je’daii, but in general the dark side is ascendant. The Je’daii are aware of the light side and can channel it, but the dark side dominates.
The reason for this is that the
Spencer
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
[WARNING - SPOILERS CONTAINED]

This was a decent enough ending, but one that left me unsatisfied. Yes, the war against the Rakata is largely over, and the Je'daii of Tython are safe.

But this trilogy (ending with this volume) really set up for more to happen. The forcesabers (predecessors of the lightsaber) required the formerly force-balanced Je'daii to lose that balance and lean on the dark side of the force in order to fight the Rakata. This had a strong effect on some Je'daii, and here we see
Matt
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After reading Volume Two this seemed to jump ahead a bit, and was a little jarring at first. I'm guessing Dark Horse knew they were loosing the license to Marvel, so they skipped forward for the series to have some kind of ending.

(view spoiler)
Marilyn
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
It may have been because this was the culmination of the first two graphic novels, but I enjoyed this one more. I couldn't put it down.

Generally, I enjoyed the graphic novels better then the novel Into the Void from the same era in the Star Wars chronology (although I do like Lanoree Brock). But actually, they kind of work in concert. For example, there were some settings in the novel that I couldn't quite get a sense of that I saw in the graphic novels and felt like I had a broader understandin
Dannie Stockman
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was awesome conclusion to the Dawn of the Jedi Trilogy which takes place at the very beginning of Star Wars history. Even before the Tales of the Jedi era. The war between the ancient Rakata and the ancient Je'daii, BEFORE they were Jedi. In a battle for the even more ancient device, the Infinity Gate. The Rakata were so evil! I really enjoyed it. Also seeing a sith as a Je'daii fighting for the good. It was definitely interesting. Highly recommend the entire series for any die hard Star Wa ...more
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was a great way to end this short series. The only thing that could have made it better was more. The multiple (and somewhat confusing) strings that were established in the first volume all came together well in this conclusion and ending up giving insight into the divisions of the force that we see in the original trilogy. Sad to see this series end, but what a great ride it was.
Eric
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Story

I was a little weary about reading this one but I was very entertained. I hate that it was the last and I wanted too see how further it could go. I was surprised that I would like it this much. The characters are great the story neatly tied everything up.
Joseph
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars, comics
The last was the best of in the series. The series itself wasn't really good, but at least this book was good. There were a lot of action in it and very good art work. Not much really else to say because the series was so blah...
Shawn Fairweather
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Force war picks up where Force Storm left off and in all actuality, Force War gave me much more enjoyment. Excellent artwork, with solid writing. The story itself holds the graphic novel back due to its highly predictable outcome and rehashed plot line, but it was fun regardless.
Nicole
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Maybe the fact that I managed to get a brand new copy and it smelled SO DARN GOOD skewed my opinion of it, but I really liked this. Strong characters, God plot. Looking forward to the next one in line.
CJ
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
A day later an I can't remember anything about this. That can't be good.
Kimberly
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting third part to the pre-history of the Jedi. A time when there were Force Hounds & dark force users all around.
Indru
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Intense and fast-paced, and fair end to the series.
Marcus Monaghan
Jun 25, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is all out action, but for some reason it was my least favorite in this graphic novel series. Predictable, weak plot. I give it three stars because it was entertaining
Juan
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good ending to the series while still leaving some things unresolved. I guess in the event the series were to continue. I would recommend the read to true fans.
Steve Johnson
Aug 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic, star-wars
Moderately entertaining and decent ending to a decent series, albeit somewhat predictable. I must say it hasn't lived up to my expectations, but it's not bad.
Goodreads Librari...: Add graphic novel to series 2 18 May 15, 2014 01:42AM

• Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith - Spiral
  • Fall of the Sith Empire (Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, #2)
  • Dark Lords of the Sith (Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, #5)
  • Star Wars: Crimson Empire III: Empire Lost (Star Wars: Crimson Empire #3)
  • Star Wars: Jedi, Volume 1: The Dark Side
  • Star Wars: Legacy II, Vol. 1: Prisoner of the Floating World
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 3: Last Stand on Jabim
  • The Star Wars
  • The Lost Suns (Star Wars: The Old Republic Comic, #3)
John Ostrander is an American writer of comic books. He is best known for his work on Suicide Squad, Grimjack and Star Wars: Legacy, series he helped create.

Originally an actor in a Chicago theatre company, Ostrander moved into writing comics in 1983. His first published works were stories about the character "Sargon, Mistress of War", who appeared the First Comics series Warp!, based on a series

Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi (3 books)
  • Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi, Volume 1: Force Storm