Start by marking “At Home in the Whole Food Kitchen: Celebrating the Art of Eating Well” as Want to Read:
At Home in the Whole Food Kitchen: Celebrating the Art of Eating Well

At Home in the Whole Food Kitchen: Celebrating the Art of Eating Well

James Beard Award Winner (Vegetarian)
IACP Award Winner (Healthy Eating)

A sophisticated vegetarian cookbook with all the tools you need to be at home in your kitchen, cooking in the most nourishing and delicious ways—from the foundations of stocking a pantry and understanding your ingredients, to preparing elaborate seasonal feasts.

Imagine you are in a bright, breezy
Published October 21st 2014 by Roost Books (first published September 16th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about At Home in the Whole Food Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Home in the Whole Food Kitchen

Start your review of At Home in the Whole Food Kitchen: Celebrating the Art of Eating Well
Jessica
Mar 15, 2015 rated it liked it
I find this book unbelievably irritating, but the fact that I love it anyway shows how good it is.

I was in a major cooking rut and really wanted a cookbook that would transform my life the way Deborah Madison's indispensable classic Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone did years ago, not just by giving me new recipes, but by changing the way I cook, and a friend recommended this one. I'm definitely not some master chef and I don't want another complicated set of recipes that require fancy ingredients
P.
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I keep getting this from the library and having to relinquish it because of holds. but it's worth it! I finally made things from it the 3rd go round.
I made:
millet cauliflower mash
steamed greens with zesty flax dressing
parsley brown rice salad with seeds (misleading title - this is really tabbouleh with brown rice & seeds)
pasta with kale, caramelized onions, and goat cheese (I added shiitakes to this)
marinated beets
dijon-mustard marinated tempeh (okay, but only if you re-heat the tempeh
Lisa Dubbels
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was gifted this book and it's lush and gorgeous. I can't wait to make most of the recipes.
Cassandra
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's almost a meditative cookbook. I come back to it over and over just to look through. Loved the zucchini salad and the butternut squash lasagna was a hit at our holiday dinner last year.
Holly
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
I wouldn't normally put a cookbook up as "currently reading," but this one is huge and gorgeous and has me immediately wanting to curl up in a big chair and just read and take notes while I generate ideas.---- Finished this late last night: It was a nice break from the health-focused "whole foods-plant based" dietary manuals/cookbooks of the Campbell-Esselstyn-McDougall-Brenda Davis-Forks Over Knives variety and the other extreme which I keep encountering: the irreverent tattooed punker-vegan ...more
Alice Marsh-Elmer
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, favorites
A perfect, super appetizing manual-style cookbook that provides ease of access to best practices for incorporating whole foods into your diet and your kitchen. Seriously, I just pre-ordered it.

As a bit of a foodie (and a bit of a workaholic) I enjoy reading about food--tons--and, more often than not, am unable to follow through on all of my grand schemes to cook differently when I get home, exhausted and starving, forced to stir something up that's edible for dinner and I revert to my old
Karen
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it

This is a comprehensive guide to vegetarian/vegan cooking, covering everything from how to stock your pantry to recipes starting at breakfast ally he way to desserts.

I love the emphasis on fresh whole foods. A few of the ingredients are difficult to find in my area and I felt like a lot of the recipes were under-seasoned for my taste - but that can be easily adjusted on your own.

I make pasta with kale all the time but had never thought of adding caramelized onions so the Whole-Wheat
Kirra
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this cookbook! Everything about it. Fabulous.
In saying that, I have always been a keen cook. So sourcing unusual ingredients is exciting for me. I am someone who plans, and makes a lot of time to cook with friends and family. In other words am obsessed with cooking and food.
If you are someone who finds cooking a chore, have limited time etc. you may find this book frustrating. I have found that her use of soaked bean, grain etc have actually saved me a heap of time and money. (And when
Linda B
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking

Beautifully illustrated vegetarian/vegan cook book. The cookbooks contains useful info on plant based staples i.e. how to soak & cook beans, grains ( I didn't realise I needed to soak grains overnight due to physic acid) & nuts; sprouting; seaweed types etc. How to avoid plastics.

The majority of the recipes are vegan and where Amy uses goat cheese this can be easily veganised by using Almond Feta instead : http://thekindcook.com/?s=Almond+feta+
Radina Valova
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, food
This book is a fantastic resource, whether you're new to home cooking and clean eating or already have some healthy habits but want to up the ante. Amy Chaplin offers an in-depth look at how to stock your pantry and how to prep the pantry basics (legumes, grains, etc.). One of the things I like best about the book is that most of the ingredients she references are easily accessible to most shoppers - one of my biggest pet-peeves with healthy-eating books is that authors seem to assume that you ...more
Lara
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'm willing to bet this food is delicious. The photos are pretty nice. The flavor combinations seem like ones I would enjoy. But this thing is seriously overwhelming. Every recipe seems to have about 20 ingredients, and the instructions/intros take up an entire page in small print. It's really off-putting. I had trouble even really focusing on reading through this at all because it's so heavy, and because something about the font used and the sheer volume of text short circuited my brain. Or ...more
Judyw
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it
There are many, good recipes in this cookbook (and many that look good). But maybe there are too many recipes in this cookbook. I borrowed this book from the library. Too bad it's so large. I was only able to make a couple recipes, and won't be purchasing the book, since it's so large and hardcover. This book is almost 400 pages. The handful of photos are nice, and I like the part about setting up your pantry. But many pages have a lot of white space.
Who knows, I may borrow it from the library
Arianne
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
To sum it up: this book inspires you to cook! I will definitely purchase and make many of the recipes. The only downside is the book references ingredients that aren’t as easy to find in smaller towns, and I personally prefer cooking with more dairy. That being said, it’s a great book for anyone who’ll follows more of a vegetarian/ vegan diet!
Joyful
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book in incredibly informative for this who are setting up their whole food, plant-based kitchen. The recipes vary from simple vegan staples (like DIY almond milk) to more fanciful dishes (all of the tarts!). This would make a great gift, either to a friend or for yourself.
Stephanie
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
I chose this cookbook for the vegan ideas and beautiful layout - photos and words - and for the clean, end results. Recipe can be quite in-depth, but the finish was spot on. Delicious! I look forward to trying more recipes.
Caitlin Bales
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite cookbook by far. Amy talks about ingredients, the pantry, and recipes in a sustainable way. I love reading someone who admits to eating the same thing for breakfast! It's refreshing to see what real-world chefs eat themselves instead of gourmet once-in-a-while dishes.
Andjelka Jankovic
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love Amy’s down to earth tone and farmers market obsession, plus all the GF/DF recipes.
Ambur Taft
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Lovely cookbook....beautiful pictures and loads of information on so much great food. This will be a delicious addition to my kitchen.
Juli Anna
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Overall, I think this cookbook succeeds at serving its purpose: it is full of nutritious, whole-food recipes (mostly vegan) that will make you want to treat your body well. Some of the recipes have unusual flavor profiles that I look forward to incorporating into my cooking (corn with black sesame, cauliflower with shiitakes). However, for my part, I can't imagine eating like this most of the time, and I eat pretty well to begin with. Many of these recipes seem like "side dishes" and certainly ...more
Amanda
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Overall, this book is a well-crafted manual of incredibly healthy and beautifully photographed recipes. The pro's far outweigh the con's. However, there are a few issues that prevent the five-star rating.

Several of the recipes call for ingredients that I cannot obtain, despite living in a mid-sized city with decent grocery and specialty stores. The author lives in NYC; anyone living in a city closer to this size will probably be able to find these ingredients. Also, with a few exceptions (e.g.
Megan
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it
everything looked healthy and hearty and fairly delicious. if i was into egg-less desserts, or using spelt/millet/chia seeds everywhere, i would definitely be into this.

one of my main problems: the long lists of ingredients, which tended to include esoteric ingredients (hello, ume plum vinegar) without any recommendation of where to find it or any subs. the reader could ostensibly research this on their own, but isn't it the author's job to encourage (in my mind, a major part of this is removing
Julie H.
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook-cooking
This cookbook would make a fabulous gift for any vegetarian on your gift-giving list. For other folks, it's got some great stuff (esp. solid advice on stocking the vegetarian pantry and sauces such as harissa and chimichurri that are eaten anywhere along the dietary continuum) including welcome items in any kitchen such as blackberry cornmeal muffins, French lentil soup with rosemary, squash, and rainbow chard, or crispy smashed baby potatoes with cap garlic yogurt dip as just a few examples.

Pat Murphy
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ok, this is another cookbook. I enjoyed it very much for a couple of reasons. The author takes the time to tell you how to setup your kitchen for her kind of cooking. She shows a passion for her kind of cooking as well. She is a proponent of all natural, good nutrition. It is hard not to get your heart in this with her as she makes this style of cooking so enchanting. She goes with natural the flow of seasons (summer winter etc.) and believes in using products from nearby. A big naturally ...more
Dana
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
I was sooooo excited to get my hands on this book due to its fantastic reviews. It is a gorgeous book and Amy's story seems fascinating. Sadly, this book is full of recipes that feel pretty impossible to me, even though I would consider myself to be a fairly experienced cook. Many ingredients are pricey and/or next to impossible to procure easily. It is too bad because I would love to branch even further into vegetarian cooking.
Carol Turznik
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book for my vegetarian daughter and son-in-law last month just as a little gift after finding it on Amazons Best of the Month list. Last night she came over and told me that nightly she picks up this cookbook to read and review recipes rather than reading her fiction books, she loves it so much. She told me that she has made several dishes for friends and everyone raves about them. I'd say, I hit a home run by buying this book for her!
Andrea Proia
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this book more than a five star review, I would. I am not vegetarian, but this is my go-to cookbook when I want incorporate more grains and vegetables in my family's diet. Her soup recipes, in particular, that use water as opposed to even a vegetable stock are absolutely delicious and dinner-party worthy. You won't be disappointed with this addition to your cookbook collection!
Nicole Gulotta
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Amy Chaplin makes wholesome ingredients accessible and beautiful. She makes a convincing case for simple preparation methods like grain soaking (something I've started doing enthusiastically!), and especially for vegetarians or people who enjoy eating lots of plant-based meals, her recipes will truly inspire.
Mrspam4ever
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
What a beautiful book from cover to cover. I cannot wait to try some of the recipes, but I will have to wait because I cataloged it into my library collection & it was checked out before it made it to the shelf:) I was so lucky to win this Goodreads giveaway & I know it will be a asset to our collection!
Rhonda
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Got it at the library and have almost read every tantalizing recipe. However I can not renew it and fees are accruing so back it goes and I will have to get back on the request list to make some of these delightful dishes.
Regina
A beautiful book with helpful tips on stocking a whole foods pantry; features basic recipes you can use to create a week's worth of meals. Many of the recipes do look complicated, but this book will be worth a second look when I have more time to devote to cooking.

• The Love and Lemons Cookbook: An Apple-to-Zucchini Celebration of Impromptu Cooking
  • Plenty
  • Mostly Plants: 101 Delicious Flexitarian Recipes from the Pollan Family
  • The Clean Plate: Eat, Reset, Heal
  • The Blender Girl: Super-Easy, Super-Healthy Meals, Snacks, Desserts, and Drinks--100 Gluten-Free, Vegan Recipes!
  • Love and Lemons Every Day: More Than 100 Bright, Plant-Forward Recipes for Every Meal
  • Run Fast. Eat Slow.
  • Anil's Ghost
  • The Perfect Blend: 100 Blender Recipes to Energize and Revitalize
  • The Blender Girl Smoothies: 100 Gluten-Free, Vegan, and Paleo-Friendly Recipes
  • Nothing Fancy: Unfussy Food for Having People Over
  • The Lioness in Winter: Writing an Old Woman's Life
  • Tartine All Day: Modern Recipes for the Home Cook [a Cookbook]
  • Home Made Christmas
  • Head Strong: The Bulletproof Plan to Boost Brainpower, Increase Focus, and Maximize Performance-in Just Two Weeks
  • National Geographic Kids United States Atlas
  • The Anti-Inflammation Diet and Recipe Book: Protect Yourself and Your Family from Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Allergies--and More
  • Mindset Makeover: Tame Your Fears, Change Your Self-Sabotaging Thoughts, And Learn From Your Mistakes - Make Assertive And Mindful Choices