Start by marking “The Monkey King” as Want to Read:
The Monkey King

The Monkey King

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  191 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
A new edition of his classic novel, set mainly in Hong Kong, and telling a complex story of family relationships.
Published September 30th 2000 by Paddleless Press (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Monkey King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monkey King

Phae
Oct 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a family which owns dozens of rental buildings in the nearest urban centre to where I live, and even though they are millionaires, several hundred times over, they won't spend a nickel to keep out the rats and cockroaches. Every city has landowners like these, people who are swimming in wealth and yet are absolute and contemptible misers, hording their wealth, equating their lives of deprivation, and the deprivations they force upon others, as emblems of virtue.

The Poon Family is one s
Tin Wee
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Dhali
May 31, 2011 rated it liked it
The only book I've read by TImothy Mo was The Redundancy of Courage, about the war and conflict in East Timor. So I was not at all prepared for this viciously funny look at family life in Hong Kong. I loved the deadpan non-judgemental writing, and the depiction of the family - in all their pragmatism, cruelty, obedience, fear, small rebellions - was perfectly caught. The second part dragged a bit, but part one was excellent, the section on Wallace commandeering May Ling and how it sets the entir ...more
Bookworm Amir
Feb 22, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OK this book tries to highlight the small squabbles and quislings of a close knit Chinese family life where the narrator, a white man, marries into the family.

Offering personal and private insights into the nitty-gritty details that make up the (so the very Asian, so the very jealous) Asian family feuds, it was a bit too slow for me but it did show the funny and almost racist way of how Asians tend to think and act.

And while this book was written back I don't know when, a lot of 'Chinese' raci
Redfox5
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, hong-kong
Hmmm. I didn't find this book all that interesting. Some parts were just most of it wasn't. I'm very glad I don't live with the Poons. It seemed like such a depressing household to be in. They just seemed to enjoy making each other miserable. I liked May Ling the most even though in the beginning I thought she was quiet mean ignoring her nephew. I did also like Wallace but at times we get reminded that he can also be quiet cruel. I wouldn't read this book again but I would give another book of T ...more
Fiona Robson
Jul 27, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I cannot give this book any stars as it has to be one of the worst books I have ever read. I just couldn't get into it and it was so boring. I actually bought this when I was about 14 because I thought it would make me look clever! Only just got around to reading it now and wished I hadn't bothered. About a dysfunctional family in Hong Kong. I suppose it would be interesting if you either lived or were visitng Hong Kong, but other than that ... I wouldn't bother.
Hanka ma Psa
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it
What is significance of the monkey king in Chinese mythology can anyone enlighten me?
Tracey
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of the funniest books I've ever read
Jill
Feb 08, 2010 added it
The Monkey King by Timothy Mo (1988)
Erica Swallow
  • Black Vinyl, White Powder
  • The Practitioner's Guide to Product Management
  • Butterfly's Shadow
  • Northern Girls
  • Somebody Like You (Maverick Junction, #1)
Timothy Peter Mo is an Anglo-Chinese novelist. H e is the son of a British mother and a Hong Kong Chinese father. He came to britain as a ten year old.
More about Timothy Mo