Start by marking “Talking Like the Rain: A Read-To-Me Book of Poems” as Want to Read:
Talking Like the Rain: A Read-To-Me Book of Poems

Talking Like the Rain: A Read-To-Me Book of Poems

An illustrated collection of poems for very young children, including works by Robert Louis Stevenson, Edward Lear, Shel Silverstein, and Jack Prelutsky.
Published April 1st 1992 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Talking Like the Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talking Like the Rain

Start your review of Talking Like the Rain: A Read-To-Me Book of Poems
Lynn Pribus
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Included in 1000 BOOKS TO READ BEFORE YOU DIE. It's a large, thin book with BEAUTIFUL illustrations, but the collection of poems is puzzling. I tried to imagine myself reading it to great granddaughter Evie and just couldn't.

Many were Really Old Poems with an archaic vocabulary of words she not only wouldn't know, but would never have occasion to use should she learn them. Some poems in the collection are fun or clever or just nicely rhyme-y, but others just sort of exist without wit or fun or
Susanne
One of the most wonderful collections of classic poems for children--and for adults. So many of my favorites are found on these beautifully-illustrated pages. This was one of three go-to poetry books throughout our 21 years of home education, and I still find myself opening it to peruse the poems myself.

One of the loveliest books for a children's library--I can't recommend it highly enough!!
Tandava Brahmachari
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, illustrations
The selection of poetry is fine but didn't particularly wow me. I was pleased to see Milne's "Disobedience" included, though, and there were a couple others new to me that I liked. The illustrations are very nice.
Cj Rey
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Grandma prep.
Lindy
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, picture-book
This collection of poetry for young children is selected by X.J. Kennedy and Dorothy M. Kennedy and charmingly illustrated in bright watercolours by Jane Dyer. The poets range from Emily Dickinson to Dennis Lee to Christina Rossetti to Langston Hughes and Robert Louis Stevenson.

All of the poems are short and have been chosen to share the beauty and rhythm of language. Some are fun and snappy, like the two lines that make up the entirety of "The Wapiti" (Ogden Nash): "There goes the wapiti /
Ariel Smith
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book would be more useful in an at home setting. There were some poems that could be used in classrooms such as First Snowflake by N. M. Bodecker. It talks about snow, so it would be a great poem to read when learning about snow, or even during the first snow of the year! Another really good one would be One Year by N. M Bodecker also. This one would be used more during the teaching of the months of the year.

This poem book had many great pictures, and the set up was awesome. It put poems
Samantha
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This poetry book was recommended by J. Patrick Lewis (one of my favorite author of kid poetry). This collection contains some well-known classics (i.e. The Owl and the Pussycat) and plenty of lesser known poems that equally as great.

Poems are divided into sections: play, families, just for fun, birds/bugs/beasts, rhymes and songs, magic and wonder, wind and weather, calendars and clocks, day and night. Watercolor illustrations bring elements from each poem to life and make each page one worth
Hafidha
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Have had this book for a year or so but finally finished reading all the poems ... it's a good collection for reading aloud to young children, in a slim but large soft cover format. The illustrations are apt and vivid. I especially enjoy the animal poems, my 5yo likes it when I read them aloud 2-4 times while she acts them out. That's actually one really great way to enjoy poetry - acting it out as it's being read. I find this is one I keep going back to.
Child960801
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, picture-books
This is a good transition poetry book. The illustrations are done in a more realistic style and the poems are longer. However, there are still lots of short ones and lots of rhyme. Good for the kids as they get older.
Katelyn
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: children-s
Best Collection of poetry directed to children I have found yet. I also like the illustrations. This book is often read at the beginning of nap time with many selections fitting the slow soothing pace needed to calm little minds into dreamland.
Morgen Shambaugh
This is a great book to read to your kids when you only have a couple minutes or even if you just have a thirty seconds. The poems are short and sweet. There are many classics but also poems I had never heard.
Tamara
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it's "for kids", but the artwork is truly first class, and the poem selections are excellent and well organized thematically. It would be a perfect gift for a parent, a child, or just poem lovers.
Risa
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this for the "Read a Book to Someone Aloud" category of the Book Riot 2016 Read Harder Challenge. The poems were often uninspiring (even granting that they were selected with an eye toward what young children might like to hear), but the illustrations were consistently inspired.
Samantha
I used a few of these poems for our text set presentation. I really liked that the title comes from an excerpt in "Out of Africa". Other than the title and a select few of the poems, I didn't care for the book.
Jordan Bramblett
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-book
This was a really cute book! I really enjoyed reading the poems in this book. The illustrations are awesome and appropriate for the poems. I've always loved poetry and find that younger children like it as well. It is very useful when teaching them rhyming words.
Ashley Enlow
A great book with many wonderful poems in it! I would definitely have this book in my classroom.
Heather
Nov 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Our favorite collection of poems for children.
Rachel Flan
Mar 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-ed-340-poetry
Cute and catchy book of Poems. They are short and easy to read-a-loud or to practice reading.
Callan Fromm
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: r-y3, y4-y7
A lovely compendium of poetry of all sorts-- joyful, sorrowful, silly, serious, and everything in between.

This was a childhood favourite of mine!
Shonna Froebel
Good collection of poems.
Leiba Ragoo-Medina
Great mix of poetry from various poets that puzzles, makes you smile and pull in to want to read more.
Grace
Nov 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: toddlers and up
Great collection of poetry for children. Lovely watercolor illustrations. Fun to read aloud (and memorize together some day!)
A.
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book taught me how to read i can honestly say its may favorite and will always be
Whitney Roberts
I really enjoyed this book, however it would be more appropriate for an at-home setting. It would be a great read aloud book.
Suzette
Aug 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to Suzette by: Found it at the library
This is the book that made me love poetry. I read it on the front porch on a rainy day with my 6yo son by my side. We blew bubbles into the rain.
Amy

• Many Luscious Lollipops: A Book About Adjectives
  • The Adventures of Marco Polo
  • The Red Balloon
  • Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch
  • The Book of Three (The Chronicles of Prydain, #1)
  • Half Broken Things
  • Always Watching
  • The Summer Guests
  • Conviction
  • The Book Charmer
  • The Girl in the Green Raincoat (Tess Monaghan, #11)
  • The Honey Bus: A Memoir of Loss, Courage and a Girl Saved by Bees