Start by marking “Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography” as Want to Read:
Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography

Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  29,330 ratings  ·  3,646 reviews
Tired of memoirs that only tell you what really happened?

Sick of deeply personal accounts written in the first person? Seeking an exciting, interactive read that puts the “u” back in “aUtobiography”? Then look no further than Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography! In this revolutionary, Joycean experiment in light celebrity narrative, actor/personality/carbon-
Published October 14th 2014 by Crown Archetype

To ask other readers questions about Neil Patrick Harris, please sign up.
Luigi Evangelista I just picked up the audiobook from the library and it's read by the author himself. Neil usually finishes a story and then gives either 2 or 3 option…moreI just picked up the audiobook from the library and it's read by the author himself. Neil usually finishes a story and then gives either 2 or 3 options and he'll say if you choose this, then wait a minute...if you choose this, keep listening and if you choose this, then hang on, it's coming. Spoiler alert-I'm on disc 3 of 6 and he's died horrible deaths on at least 4 occasions so far. There's a special treat when you get to the part where he meets his husband-his other half makes a special appearance in the audiobook as well and it's pretty funny to listen to.
(less)
Orsolya I am reading the ebook version, but it works perfectly, and you can easily jump back (if you reach a chapter you've already read) with the back button…moreI am reading the ebook version, but it works perfectly, and you can easily jump back (if you reach a chapter you've already read) with the back button. It's fun :)(less)

·  29,330 ratings  ·  3,646 reviews

Start your review of Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography
Patrick
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I expected this book to be witty. I expected it to be clever and fun. And it was. It was all of those things in spades.

But I didn't expect it to be sweet and sad and honest and touching. I mean, it's framed as a choose-your-own-adventure. You don't expect those to be heartfelt, emotional stories....

Perhaps I should start by saying that I came to know Neil Patrick Harris in a different way than people. Most of you probably know him from his two big TV shows: Doogie Howser or How I Met Your Mothe
Darth J
Kids, did I ever tell you about the time I read your Uncle Neil's wonderfully weird autobiography? No, not the The Bro Code.

♪ Pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa...
pa pa, da da da da, da da da da da...♪

It was the autumn of 2014 and your Aunt Robin was on a top secret mission for S.H.I.E.L.D. (She was Taran Killin'* it, by the way.) Anyway, Neil had just released a book that was unlike any other celebrity autobiography before. You see kids, most people use their books to either brag about themselves or garn
Miranda Reads
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
description
Ahh...Quaint childhood, a few lucky breaks and then success, success, success.

The classic celebrity memoir...or is it?
You come in weighing a very average, very sexy seven pounds, seven ounces. As it happens, that is also the exact weight of an Emmy Award. Coincidence? Yes … but true fact? No.
What if memoirs didn't have to be all filmographies, name-dropping and dry parental issues?

What if...you could pick out what happens yourself?

Well...that sounds like a rather good idea after all...
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

How can I describe my feelings about my experience with Choose Your Own Autobiography???? Well, this pretty much sums it up:

Commercial Photography

Buckle up friends ‘cause this might be a long one . . . Where do I even begin???? I guess I should take my inspiration from NPH and sit down at the computer in order to journal my feelings:

Commercial Photography

Let me start by saying you kind of have to be a NPH Fangirl to really appreciate this book. Although funny, Neil’s sto
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
HILARIOUS AND YET VERY REAL

✨ Popsugar Reading Challenge 2019✨
✨✨A "choose-your-own-adventure" book✨✨

What can I say about this book? Maybe I should give the word to one of the author's close friends, Mr. Barney Stinson:

👍 THE THINGS I LIKED 👍

Personality: Usually autobiography are weirdly devoid of personality, in my opinion at least. They are this weird politically correct things, that almost dehumanise their subjects. The truly refreshing thing about this autobiography was how clearly NPH's perso
Diane
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hi, my name is Diane and I am a recovering theater addict.

(Group: Hi, Diane.)

I've long been a fan of Neil Patrick Harris. The guy can sing, dance, act funny or serious, and he makes hosting award shows look easy. He's a quintuple threat.

Reading NPH's memoir, it felt like I grew up with him. As a kid, he loved the musical "Annie" and memorized the choreography. I also loved Annie and used to drive my mom nuts singing "It's a hard knock life."

NPH was blown away by the show "Les Misérables," callin
Jenna
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jenna by: Carly Friedman
Cute and quirky, Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography​ is a light-hearted and funny autobiography. Remember those choose-your-own-ending books? This is written in that style. It is a very different concept for an autobiography and I could have done without that for the very simple reason that those books always make me anxious! I worry that I'll miss something if I do the "choose-your-own" thing -- I won't get to read every single page and miss something important. I also worry tha ...more
Alex
May 22, 2014 marked it as to-read
Someday we will be over our rediscovered love for Neil Patrick Harris

Someday we will no longer think every single thing he does is awesome and magical

Someday we will watch someone doing a shitty job at hosting the Oscars or making a healthcare website or pitching for the Red Sox and not think "They should have gotten Neil Patrick Harris, he would have been awesome at whatever this is"

Not today though my friends

Not today

Update: Neil Patrick Harris releases trailer for book, continues to be entert
Exina
Well, I’ve never read anything like this book before. I tried to read it in a Choose Your Own Whatever style, and also in a linear way – neither worked for me. Obviously, this kind of writing is not for me.

As for the content, I expected something different. I thought it would be more hilarious, and as sparkling as NPH’s personality. I love NPH, seriously, but his autobiography didn’t get me involved emotionally. Apart from this, the book was still fun, sweet, and interesting.

Ash Wednesday
Jun 01, 2014 marked it as to-read
A CHOOSE YOUR OWN NPH AUTOBIOGRAPHY???

Note to self for October:
Step 1: buy this book
Step 2: buy a pregnancy test kit just in case it can get you pregnant
Step 3: renew driver's license
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

I am charmed.

I'm a big NPH fan going all the way back to his Doogie Howser days, so I was really excited to listen to this audiobook.

Though the format was a little strange for audio (choose your own adventure works less well when you are listening linearly), it worked well enough. And I promise you that you will leave this audiobook feeling a kinship with Neil Patrick Harris in one way or another.

I loved all of the intimate details, that we got about his life, from his journey in self-discove
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

This book brings back a lot of fond memories for me. I used to adore reading the choose your own adventure books as a child although I would never choose the right option and always ended up dying of thirst or some other horrible death. I would eventually give up on my ability to make the right choices and try to figure out what I needed to choose by working backwards in the book. Despite my poor decision making skills, I never gave up on the
Jillian
I am torn about this book. I have procrastinated rating this book and writing this review because I am really very sad about reaching the conclusion I have come to.

Usually if I abandon a book, it automatically gets one star because if I can't finish a book, well, that kind of says it all. With this book, I can't do that. My dislike and inability to finish this book were not due to the content or writing style, it was due to the format.

While I very much enjoyed the idea of the nostalgic nature of
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Have I read the whole book? I don't think so! Why not you ask me? Well, it's because in this book you will have to pick your own way to get to the end/endings. Which means that I have read the book, jumping around, precisely like the old adventure books my brother had when I was younger. You haven't read an adventure book where you have to pick your own way? Then I feel sorry for you, they are great, I wish I had one of them right now (well if I had one I would probably just cheat to get to the ...more
Barbara
Feb 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Neil Patrick Harris is an American actor, writer, producer, singer, and magician.

*****

I listened to the audio version of this book, read by the author. The book takes us from Harris's childhood with a loving, supportive family in New Mexico to his current mega-success in show business and his happy home life.

Harris developed his love of performing as a child and started his acting career at a young age. He also developed an early interest in magic, which he studied seriously, and he includes
TL
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4.5 stars:)

I don't remember who recced this to me... I remember seeing this pop up on my feed alot at one point and getting curious so I added it to my amazon wishlist and forgot about it for awhile. Then I got Alan Cumming's beautiful memoir in the mail and remembered this one.

I went to buy it and noticed that there was an audiobook as well. Curious to see how the book's format would translate I got that instead of the hardcover.

Confession: I knew about Neil before but not very much. I was ex
Christy
I fell in love with Neil Patrick Harris when he was on "How I Met Your Mother" and this "memoir" just nailed that fact home. This would have been really cool to actually read since it's written in a Choose Your Own Adventure format, but I couldn't pass up listening to this narrated by NPH himself. And it worked, it was great!

Basically the idea is that this autobiography is about you - you get to live his life and choose how to proceed with possible alternatives. It's funny and packed with inform
Nick Pageant
Nov 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Since it's a choose your own book, I guess I'll be reading it a few more times. So far it's very charming. Just what you'd expect from NPH.

Ria
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally Straight Guy Magazine

NPH: I am a gay man.
TSG: So like a homosexual gay?... I have absolutely no problem with the gays.

gif

Hi missed me? No yes who cares. I’m back. Sooo I went on a 5 day vacation and then classes started so I didn’t really feel like reading.
Let’s be real here. This is a Choose Your Own Adventure book but it’s me we are talking about so I obviously read it like a normal book. What do you mean this isn't what you are supposed to do? Not the biggest fun of Choose books so
Figgy
Actual Rating 3.5

I grew up watching Doogie Howser, M.D. reruns, and have spent the last nine years waiting for more episodes of How I Met Your Mother to watch, often over and over again, but I knew little about Neil Patrick Harris’ personal life.
I knew about David and Harper and Gideon, but not how NPH had come out, how he had met his husband, or about how he knew he was born to entertain from a very early age. Nor did I realise that he’s a magician, and Barney Stinson’s adventures in magic mus
Sesana
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, nonfiction
There are two ways to read this (one of a kind?) choose-your-own-adventure style biography, and I did both. You can either do the choose-your-own adventure team, either playing around with the format (there are several authentically horrible deaths) or just reading the parts you're interested in. Want to concentrate on NPH's magic? Sure! The musicals? Done! You can also read the book straight through, which is actually somewhat less confusing than it sounds. You'll go through his life in somewha ...more
Matthew
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting concept, funny stories - from serious to seriously outlandish. Very entertaining.

My only complaint was that it was tough to make sure I read every single page, but I had that same problem with the original Choose Your Own Adventure books (I swear that I never made it out of the Cave of Time!)
Kaethe Douglas
This book beautifully explains what make Harris such a marvelous performer: he is singularly focused on providing the most entertaining performance possible. Here he's made the actor memoir into a delightfully entertaining book. It's not because he's had such a fascinating life, although it's been a pleasant one, full of rewarding work from an early age, and it's not because he spills a lot of secrets. Mostly you walk away from this thinking what a devoted family man he is and how much he enjoys ...more
Matthew
Ted: Hey Kids! Do you remember that time when Uncle Neil wrote his Choose Your Own Autobiography?

Kids: No not really... Oh great here we go again!

Ted: This story is going to leave you speechless and make you love Uncle Neil even more that you thought you possibly imagine!

(Cue the theme song)

♫♫ pa pa pa pa pa pa pa pa pa pa ta da ta da ta da ta da da da ♫♫

Ted: The year was 2014, and by now I already fell in love with your mother, Aunt Robin was married to Uncle Neil, and life could not get any be
Ricky
I'd say that the best parts of this book are his stories about show business and celebrity gossip. It's surprising how often he names names considering how "nice" the rest of the book is.

Things that wear thin after a while are the fictional choose-your-own-adventure bits and the fact that all the pointless bits written by other people are read by some guy with a British accent doing a Masterpiece Theater sort of shtick.

It's great the NPH seems to love his life, but for me I guess he came across
Ashley
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Three Stars (two for the book and one for the premise)

As we made our way to the gate before a two-hour flight home last night, we spotted this book. I knew it had come out recently, and realized that the format (ostensibly a ‘choose your own adventure’-style autobiography) would probably lend itself better to a physical book. I picked it up and read it continuously, from waiting in line to board the plane until we caught a shuttle to our car back home. I read it on the elliptical this morning, a
MissBecka
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
If I hadn't already been wishing he was my friend before reading this, I certainly would have been after finishing! He is so freaking adorable!!!
Meags
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

This was quite possibly the most fun I've ever had while reading an autobiography.

Firstly, it's NPH so you just know it's going to be awesome. Secondly, it's written in the format of a choose your own adventure which made it even more wildly entertaining.

I'm a bit OCD which is why it took me months to read; I just had to have every adventure this bio had to offer.

In NPH's shoes I died a time or two along the way - once involving Big Bird and an avalanche (READ IT!!) - but that just add
Mariah Roze
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I tried listening to the audio version of this and I couldn't. It was so bad and confusing. DNF.

I am hoping to someday go back and read the actual book.
Petra
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an unconventional biography from an unconventional actor, I love NPH, he is just awesome. So I jumped at the chance to read this book, and I wasn't disappointed.

It was every bit as witty, funny and sweet as I thought it will be.
It was also insightful and heartbreaking at times.

However I had a little trouble with the structure.I know that some people will like the Choose-Your-Own-Adventure style, I did too at first, but after a while it was frustrating to me. I mean I jumped from his firs

• If You Ask Me (And of Course You Won't)
  • Seriously... I'm Kidding
  • Scrappy Little Nobody
  • I Don't Know What You Know Me From: Confessions of a Co-Star
  • Wildflower
  • Still Foolin' 'Em: Where I've Been, Where I'm Going, and Where the Hell Are My Keys
  • A Little Bit Wicked: Life, Love, and Faith in Stages
  • The Greatest Love Story Ever Told
  • You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)
  • Why Not Me?
  • Yes Please
  • Stories I Only Tell My Friends
  • Food: A Love Story
  • So That Happened: My Unexpected Life in Hollywood
  • Paddle Your Own Canoe: One Man's Fundamentals for Delicious Living
  • Girl Walks into a Bar . . .: Comedy Calamities, Dating Disasters, and a Midlife Miracle
  • Dad Is Fat
  • As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride
Neil Patrick Harris is an American actor, producer, director, magician, comedian and singer. He is best known for playing Barney Stinson in the television comedy series How I Met Your Mother (2005–2014), for which he was nominated for four Emmy Awards. As a child star he played the title character in Doogie Howser, M.D. (1989–1993). He is also known for his role as the title character in Joss Whed ...more

Articles featuring this book

“But magic is like pizza: even when it's bad, it's pretty good.” 40 likes
“When she is three, you catch her singing Miley Cyrus’s “Wrecking Ball,” a song nobody should sing until they’re at least dead.” 10 likes