Start by marking “Rogues” as Want to Read:
Rogues

Rogues

(Ancient World)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  21,626 ratings  ·  2,297 reviews
If you’re a fan of fiction that is more than just black and white, this latest story collection from #1 New York Times bestselling author George R.R. Martin and award-winning editor Gardner Dozois is filled with subtle shades of gray. Twenty-one all-original stories, by an all-star list of contributors, will delight and astonish you in equal measure with their cunning twis ...more
Published June 17th 2014 by Bantam Books

To ask other readers questions about Rogues, please sign up.
lisa Scott Lynch's "A Year and a Day in Old Theradane" was FANTASTIC. I wasn't a fan of most of the rest of the collection, but even if I had loved them al…moreScott Lynch's "A Year and a Day in Old Theradane" was FANTASTIC. I wasn't a fan of most of the rest of the collection, but even if I had loved them all Scott's would still stand out. His characters, world-building, and writing were all spot-on (as always).(less)
Tomáš I suggest reading short stories after 1. The Name of the Wind. In general, it is good to follow the first release date order.

·  21,626 ratings  ·  2,297 reviews

Start your review of Rogues
Patrick
Mar 19, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Okay, I'll admit it. I haven't read the whole anthology. But I'll admit I'm rather proud of the story I've got in here. It's called "The Lightning Tree."

It's got Bast in it.
Petrik
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The Kingkiller Chronicle fans
Shelves: favorites
I read The Lightning Tree in Rogues anthology, and this review is specifically for The Lightning Tree only.

Cozy, sweet, and memorable, The Lightning Tree is a must-read novella for every fans of Bast and enthusiast of The Kingkiller Chronicle.

The Lightning Tree is a short novella in The Kingkiller Chronicle series by Patrick Rothfuss, and the plot revolves around a day in the life of Bast—Kvothe’s apprentice and one of my favorite characters from the main series—that takes place roughly a month
Andreas
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2014, owned
Repost from my Blog

There are a couple of anthologies edited by GRRM and Gardner Dozois, featuring diverse topics like Warriors, Old Mars, or
Dangerous Women (cf. my review!). Here, authors delivered not only fantasy or SF stories but also history, thriller, and other genres involving rogues, con-men, tricksters.

In Dangerous Women, which was published the same year, authors often interpreted the given given topic very loosely. So, I was somewhat sceptical, but found that most story in Rogues sta
Ahmad Sharabiani
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rogues = The Lightning Tree (The Kingkiller Chronicle 0.5), George R.R. Martin (Editor, Contributor), Gardner Dozois (Editor, Contributor), Patrick Rothfuss, ...

Rogues is a cross-genre anthology featuring 21 original short stories from various authors, edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois, and released on June 17, 2014.

Contents:
Tough Times All Over by Joe Abercrombie: In the city of Sipani, a package goes through multiple owners, each with a different viewpoint, starting with a cour
Edward Knight
Mar 26, 2014 marked it as to-read
Holy crap I want to read this. Mostly (only?) for the last story: "The Lightning Tree" by Patrick Rothfuss.

Bast is my favorite character from The Kingkiller Chronicles. A whole story centered around him? Fucking awesome.

Cannot wait.
Regina
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
My first thought is -- another anthology by GRRM? Shouldn't he be writing something else?!

This is quite the line-up:

George R.R. Martin “Everybody Loves a Rogue” (Introduction)
Joe Abercrombie “Tough Times All Over”
Gillian Flynn “What Do You Do?”
Matthew Hughes “The Inn of the Seven Blessings”
Joe R. Lansdale “Bent Twig”
Michael Swanwick “Tawny Petticoats”
David Ball “Provenance”
Carrie Vaughn “The Roaring Twenties”
Scott Lynch “A Year and a Day in Old Theradane”
Bradley Denton “Bad Brass”
Cherie Priest “
Armina
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Armina by: Gavin

This goes only for A Year and a Day in Old Theradane by Scott Lynch. I'll read some of the other stories in the near or not so near future and will add reviews.

4.5 STARS

Scott Lynch’s novella in this anthology is not a Locke Lamora story. Everybody keeps comparing it and mope around. Bummer, eh? Actually quite not! Although I can perfectly understand why some of you would be disappointed it's not Locke(hey, he's my all time favorite rogue too!), I think the fact that the story is not conn
Kim
Rogues is an anthology edited and corralled by George R.R. Martin. For those unfamiliar with Martin, apart from his Game of Thrones work, might expect it to be fantasy. And there are certainly some fantasy pieces. But there is no one genre for these stories. A lot of different authors from different genres contributed to this book. Sometimes they wrote in the genre they are best known for, sometimes they didn't.

Tough Times All Over - Joe Abercrombie

Abercrombie set his piece in his fantasy world
BAM Endlessly Booked
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, own
"I have considerable curiosity, and that sometimes masquerades as courage." A quote from the short story The Caravan to Nowhere by Phyllis Eisenstein seems to define the rogue.

4.5 stars!!! Even an inclusion of one or two possible drinkers in this otherwise exceptional collection of fantasy short stories cannot have a negative effect on my overall opinion. This was just magical. The selections by Gaiman, Rothfuss, and Martin make purchasing this book worth it.
Leah
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbr-fantasy
I mean anything Patrick Rothfuss writes automatically get's a 5/5 star haha idc

This short book is about a daily life of Bast.

He sits by the lightning tree and makes deals with children lol
"What would you like in trade? An answer, a favor, a secret?” - Bast

It was so nice hearing from Basts POV! I feel like I got to know him a lot better. Even though I know he can be a bit conniving and sneaky - I trust him more now. Now that I know what he's up to on a daily basis lol I seriously see him as like
Althea Ann
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
A hilarious and non-stop 'Thieves' World-style' fantasy that plays out like a relay race. A really violent, backstabbing, dangerous relay race.

It plays with all kinds of fantasy tropes, tongue firmly in cheek - but also showcases Abercrombie's talent for economically drawing vivid and compelling characters who quickly come to life in the reader's imagination.

Merged review:

A MUST for anyone who's a fan of Lynch's 'Gentleman Bastard' series. Although it's an unconnected story, the themes and the
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
$1.99 Kindle sale, July 28, 2017 for this collection of 21 fantasy short stories about scoundrels, tricksters, antiheroes and other rogues. Stories by GRRM, Patrick Rothfuss (part of the Kingkiller Chronicles world), Neil Gaiman (a story from the Neverwhere world), Scott Lynch, Joe Abercrombie and others.
Lori
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
That bit by Gillian Flynn is wicked funny!

I'm sure how, but even before the Dean's office full of geese Connie Willis reminded me of Samantha's Diary, by Diana Wynne Jones
DJ
George R. R. Martin's 'Rogues' is an epic collection of 21 (plus the intro) short stories written by 21 different authors. Mostly of the fantasy variety (14/21, by my count), and all centring around a rogue or two.
Like any short story collection, I suppose, there were hits and misses. Some stories I loved, others I just found dull.
All up, it averages at 3 stars. 3.2857 stars, to be specific.

This collection features stories set in the worlds of Joe R. Lansdale's Hap and Leonard series, Paul Co
Melanie

1.) The Name of the Wind ★★★★★
2.) The Wise Man's Fear ★★★★★
2.4) The Lightning Tree ★★★★★
2.5) The Slow Regard of Silent Things ★★★★★
3.) Doors of Stone n/a

The Lightning Tree is a short story that is set in Patrick Rothfuss' world from The Kingkiller Chronicle. You can find The Lightning Tree and other short stories that are curated by GRRM himself in a bind-up anthology titled Rogues.

This story is set in Kvothe's innkeeper days, and surrounds his mysterious friend Bast. For the record, I absolute
Lyn
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Bast you charming bastard.

Patrick Rothfuss shares with us a day in the life of Bast, his character from his The Name of the Wind stories.

Fans will recognize him as the Innkeeper’s (Kvothe’s) apprentice from the present day narrative. He’s also fae. And fun to watch as all get out.

Published in the 2014 fantasy anthology “Rogues” (which has many good short stories) this provides a healthy look at one of Rothfuss’ more intriguing characters. The fairy elements reminded me vaguely of Susanna Clarke
Maggie K
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
So, anthologies can be kind of hard to like; there's always diverse variety of styles, there are bound to be a good percent of stories you don't really care for. Especially in Fantasy, where there are an overabundance of styles...its.rare to find an anthology that works the whole way through.

Not that everything was a 4, but quite a few. No 1s. Out of 21! That makes this great.

edited to add story reviews:

Joe Abercrombie's “Tough Times All Over” - Instead of a single Rogue, Abercrombie has us foll
Gavin
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a much better anthology than Dangerous Women. The majority of the novellas included in Rogues were entertaining. A few were really good. Most of the big name authors stories lived up to my expectations. Here is some short thoughts on each novella:

Introduction: Everybody Loves a Rogue by George R.R. Martin

I liked the intro. Martin explains that he has always preferred reading or watching characters who are more grey than black or white. He thinks they are more interesting. He then goes
Mona
Sep 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cross Genre Anthology is a Mixed Bag

There is a little bit of everything in this anthology...something for everyone. The only thread tying these wildly disparate stories together is that they are about rogues. There are many different flavors of fantasy stories, science fiction, a Western (although with zombies and a futuristic setting), crime/mystery fiction, romantic comedy, duelling sociopaths a la "Gone Girl", etc.

And herein lies the problem with this collection.

Since there is "something for
Hudson
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, best-in-2014
I loved this book and I’ll give it five stars all day long. If I had any sort of web based skills at all I would insert a gif of Ralphie’s teacher writing on the board; “A plus, plus, plus, plus, plus…..but I don’t. Please use your imagination.
I rated this five stars for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, I learned of some new authors that I think I’ll really like. Jackpot! I mean seriously, I got about 4-5 new authors I need to check out and I can most certainly thank Rogues for the intro
Alissa
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-ebooks
The introduction: really useful to A) know Martin knows his reads B) get good advice where to look for interesting rogues in sci-fi and fantasy books. I'm mainly a reader of new-century fantasy with a penchant for the grim, the dark and warfare, so it's good to broaden the horizons.

“Tough Times All Over” by Joe Abercrombie: just love Abercrombie's short stories set in his First Law world. A courier gets tangled in a duck, duck, (bloody) goose kind of race in Sipani, the Venice of Styria. Probabl
gio
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I actually reviewed this as part of "Rogues" but the whole anthology isn't that good while this novella is. This novella is crazy and awesome and even crazier than expected. If you're a fan of fantasy you have to read Scott Lynch. It's required guys. Thieves! Impossible heists! Humour! Have I said thieves?

Merged review:

"Though times all over" by Joe Abercrombie: 3.5 stars
I've read only one book by Abercrombie and I was bored to death by it so I wasn't expecting much. Surprisingly I enj
Ashley
Rogues was my second George R.R. Martin/Gardner Dozois themed anthology in less than six months, and I’m happy to say I enjoyed it more overall than their previous effort, Dangerous Women. (I will pick up Warriors eventually. Maybe next year. I’m soooo done with anthologies for now.) And I’m sad to say, especially for how good Martin is at writing lady characters, I really think the main difference is that a lot of genre writers (including women!) just could not fathom how to write a complex “da ...more
Liz
Well this was disappointing

Normally, I would start off with a summary. That's kind of hard for an anthology collection. This collection revolves around the idea of a "rogue" character. You know the characters who have moral ambiguity, and you are never too sure just which side they're on? I went into this collection expecting to love it, but what I got were a lot of stories that felt too much of the same thing. Sure, there were a few standouts, but I was very disappointed on a whole. My rating i
Sean Barrs
I'm adding to this as time goes on!

Joe Abercrombie- Tough Times All Over- (4*)- This is a very amusing tale that doesn’t showcase one rogue but around twelve. We see a mysterious package change hands as each subsequent owner is swindled, robbed, mugged and distorted for it. This takes place in Sippani one of the cities ruled by the Snake of Talins, the protagonist of Best Served Cold. The author included a couple of familiar faces from his previous books who personify the meaning of Rogue.

Matt
Shannon
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this for the George Martin tale.

OVERALL GRADE: B.
Rob
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
NOTE: I didn't read the entire anthology, just the stories listed at the bottom. My rating is simply the average of those stories I did read and may not be reflective to the entire thing.

Review
After my disappointment with Dangerous Women, I decided I wouldn't be buying this (or likely any other anthologies) any time soon. So I borrowed it from the library instead and didn't feel obligated to read all the stories.

It's quite possible I would have enjoyed other stories, but there is always so m
Jessica
So, I got this book (from the library) because it has stories by a bunch of authors I love, like Connie Willis, Neil Gaiman, Patrick Rothfuss, Cherie Priest, and George R. R. Martin. There are also other authors that interest me, and some I'd never heard of, so I thought, why not?

Well, the trouble with me is that my brain will not allow me to leave a page of a book unread. (I read author's notes, acknowledgements, and sometimes even copyright info.) Anthologies are always a mixed bag, and I fou
Eric
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
The stories I read from this collection are:

'A Year and a Day in Old Theradane' by Scott Lynch

An excellent short story about a team of former rogues, including a wizard and a steampunk robot, who have retired to the city of Old Theradane, a magical place with psychedelic colored rain and a pub inside the skeleton of a dragon, only to be brought out of retirement to steal an entire street. I hope that this isn't the only story Lynch writes featuring these characters, as I really enjoyed the brief
Jim C
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a prequel to the book The Name of the Wind. In this one, we get a short story about Bast who is a character in the first novel. In the first novel we don't get a chance to know him that much but we do know there is more to him than meets the eye. This short story explores his character.

I believe it is hard for an author to totally capture the audience in a short story because of the length. But the author captures the audience perfectly in this story and I wanted to keep on reading and l
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Rogues [Sept 16, 2019] 120 69 Apr 03, 2020 10:54AM
Goodreads Librari...: Rouges, Hungarian edition 3 11 Apr 28, 2017 06:39AM
LGBTQ characters in this Collection 1 11 Mar 15, 2017 09:25AM
Around the Year i...: The Lightning Tree, by Patrick Rothfuss 7 49 Mar 15, 2016 07:20PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Rogues by George R. R. Martin 7 42 Feb 27, 2015 01:17PM

• How Old Holly Came to Be
  • The Slow Regard of Silent Things (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2.5)
  • The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2)
  • The Book of Swords
  • The Thing Beneath the Bed (The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle #1)
  • Roaring Twenties
  • Diamonds from Tequila (Dagmar Shaw #3.5)
See top shelves…
George Raymond Richard "R.R." Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

Martin attended Mary Jane Donohoe School and Marist High School. He began writing very young, selling monster stories to other neighborhood chil

Ancient World (3 books)
  • The Seven Wonders (Ancient World, #1)
  • Raiders of the Nile (Ancient World, #2)
  • Wrath of the Furies (Ancient World, #3)