Start by marking “The Thin Woman (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Thin Woman (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #1)

The Thin Woman (Ellie Haskell Mystery #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  3,918 Ratings  ·  295 Reviews
Reluctant to show up at her family reunion carrying so many extra pounds, unmarried, overweight Ellie Simons hires Bentley T. Haskell to pose as her fiance, thus beginning a weekend of romance, jealousy, and murder.
Published May 1st 1992 by Crimeline (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Thin Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thin Woman

Kathryn
Apr 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of well-written cozy mysteries
Recommended to Kathryn by: Melanie, and a cozy-British mystery book list
An enjoyable, humorous and very cozy mystery. The first half of the book got off a bit slow for me--we didn't seem to be making any progress, or finding many clues, to the "mystery." However, I enjoyed the cozy and easygoing writing style, all the details and little character traits (especially of Ellie). I found the second half much more exciting as we finally got a mystery to start working out--I admit that a few of the clues were too obvious, and though I had worked out most of the "whodunit" ...more
Mariam
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ellie Haskell is a hapless young woman who is too chubby, too old, and too clumsy for life to take her seriously and bring her a man. Now, I am not a romance reader and this book is no typical romance......., you will not find here a long drawn out scene in which the main character experiences "flutterings" and "butterflies". Instead, you will find a thwarted Ellie eating an entire box of eclaires on her own (which we all know is the real story behind heartache and longing), or buying an outfit, ...more
Kaethe
Jan 1, 1993

Cannell appeals to the sides of me that like mash-ups. You've got a standard Romance premise combined with a cozy mystery plot, and the whole thing cracks me up.

***

Oct 27, 2016

I really dislike the whole fat-to-thin story line, since it assumes that A. skinny is better than fat B. fat is the fault of individuals lacking willpower and C. fat people don’t have happy love lives. But a woman gets to spend six months cleaning and decorating a Victorian faux castle on a huge budget, and who
CatBookMom
Plot wasn't fascinating, except one aspect. Don't know what UK company the author uses to get remodeling done, but I want to hire them: she described her Heroine getting a complete kitchen makeover (Aga and all), complete antique-house electrical permitting and rewiring, a bedroom or two, and at least a drawing room, all done in 5-6 months, no delays, nothing in the wrong size.
Grouchy Editor
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
What a bloody mess. Cannell adopts a 1930s, Agatha Christie-like style for her debut novel, which is a pleasant enough mystery for about two-thirds of its length. But then the author loses all sense of reality.

The heroine-narrator, an interior decorator obsessed with food, utters howler after howler (“I desired a roast beef sandwich with horse-radish and pickled onions with a wanton savagery that I had never felt for any man”), and her romance with an oddball male escort almost –- but not quite
Anne Hawn Smith
This is one of my all-time favorites. Overweight Ellie Simons hires Bentley T. Haskell to pose as her boyfriend for a weekend visit to her uncle's estate. He dies and leaves the estate to them if Ellie can loose weight and Bentley write clean and decent book and they both can solve the mystery. It was such a zany idea especially when the protagonists become attracted to each other. Ellie, especially, is a very well developed character and the action in the book is zany and fun. All in all, it's ...more
Betty
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, cats, cozy, own
This is the first book in the Ellie Haskell series. It is more of a novel with hunt of a mystery. It is an easy and relaxing read with no sex or graphics volience.
Ellie Simons looked at the letter on violet green stationary in voting her to Berlin's Court for a reunion of the family. Ellie was not sure she want to go and hear all the negative comments about herself. She hired Bentley T. Haskell to escort to the affair. After some unfavourable comments Ellie informs the group that Ben his her fia
Erin
Mar 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: light, favorites, mystery
Ellie is the perfect main character. I laugh every time I think of her in the giant purple dress. She is unmarried and way overweight. She hires a male escort to accompany her to a family gathering. The obvious happens many times, but this is one of those great light-reads.

This is one of my very favorites for the light reading category. I have read my paperback version so many times that the cover has fallen off and has been re-taped numerous times. I was feeling sad tonight and really wanted s
ara133photography
Aug 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This book was Fantastic! It kept me smiling and sometimes laughing out loud the whole way through - very witty. I LOVED all of the characters; the plot was swift-moving but the descriptions gave me enough 'time' to imagine I was really there. This is by far the best of her books. In fact, I have reread it so often it is falling to shreds! A wonderful cozy book - any time I'm feeling down or nervous or moody, I can pick this up and be instantly swept up into Ellie's crazy life. Really really a gr ...more
Sherry
Apr 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a serious "Twinkie" book, by which I mean it was yummy but I wouldn't want to subsist on a diet of it. A super fast read (less than 2 days) that combines Miss Marple with Moonlighting. Would be a perfect book to read on a long flight. Lighthearted mystery book with funny characters; somewhat predictable, but I didn't guess the big twist. Summer reading at its best. Yay me for reading something!
Sonja
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Toll, toll, toll! Dieses Buch hat mir von Anfang bis Ende sehr viel Freude bereitet! Ich liebe den Sarkasmus der etwas schrulligen Charaktere, ich mag die Idee, auf der die Geschichte aufbaut, das Rätselraten und schließlich die für mich sehr überraschende Auflösung des Falles.
Absolut empfehlenswert! Ich werde mir auf jeden Fall auch die anderen Bücher der Autorin anschauen.
Martha
Jan 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this book a long time ago, and really enjoyed the wit...a lot of tongue in cheek humor...mystery, romance, and humor...my kind of book...Cannell has several more in this series...her last is one I just got to read, and am looking forward to it.
Regan
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic read! One of the absolute best books I've ever read. And the ending! Really well done.
Lynn
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I listened to this first book in the series of Ellie Haskell stories I laughed out loud. I have enjoyed all of the mysteries and am re-reading The Importance of Being Earnestine. The freshness diminish after you get used to the author's style. However, Ellie provides light entertainment and humor in a nice package
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
An enjoyable, light-as-cotton-candy cozy that held my attention from beginning to end, even though I had figured out the baddy in the first couple of chapters. A twist on the country-house mystery, where the main characters have to pass a couple of tests to win the treasure and the inheritance. Ellie has to lose 60 lbs in six months (good luck, honey), while the man she hired to be her rent-a-boyfriend for the family reunion has to produce a "clean" book for publication. But can they survive unt ...more
Meryan
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hysterical.One of the funniest books I've read.Ellie Simmons hires an escort to pretend to be her fiancé for a family reunion.After the reunion her Uncle Merlin dies and they are all brought together again for the reading of the will.Merlin bequeaths Merlin's Court to her and Ben if they meet certain conditions within six months.The first one is that Ellie lose 63 lbs.Ben must write a book with no smut in it and they must find the treasure at Merlin's Court,or else everything goes to the remaini ...more
Geokowgurl
Mar 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
Don't waste your time with this book. It is extremely slow moving and the author uses a TON of adjectives, (like the white, fluffy, slow moving, yet dainty clouds), in an effort to make the book long enough to publish I think. It seems as if the story was created to make a fool out of a heavyset character and it is focused on slandering her do to her weight. However, since it is written from that characters point of view I guess that makes it okay? Hmmm, I was sadly disappointed by this book.
Karen
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a very good read in the light, cozy, mystery category! Fun characters, good story, and a "didn''t guess that" ending! I will absolutely read the rest of the series.
Marianne
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this, funny and an unexpected ending. First in the Ellie Haskins series by this author. I have already downloaded the next 3 books in the series.
Churin

First, let me tell you that this review WILL NOT BE SPOILER FREE

I have a very confusing feeling about this.
I liked it a lot. It's like this perfect combination of mystery and romance. And with a struggling heroine with a real life struggle that is! (I really dislike it when a book have a heroine that has easy life and suddenly got a ton of problems. Really irritate me.). But, really, there's a but. This book has one of my biggest turn offs.

Important points:
-This is a good book. I just
Ashley Lambert-Maberly
Didn't think I'd like this one at all near the beginning, but it (mostly) got better and better until by the end I was ready for the next in the series.

Pros: likable protagonists, surprising (to me at least) conclusion, but not wildly out-of-nowhere (ugh, I hate those!), good pace, interesting subplots, interesting plot (not a collection of episodic interview suspect, find clue, interview suspect, find clue, etc.)

Cons (and this all threatened to derail it for me, so I'm glad I persisted):

First,
Adam Dunn
May 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
I found this in the cozy mysteries section of my local library. The premise sounded good but the book went nowhere. No one actually dies in this mystery, which makes it more an attempted murder mystery. The heroine falls for a terrible man who she is better than which I found annoying.
There were a few times reading this I fell asleep. It was a struggle to finish it.
mari dewitt
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMGarsh! Funniest book of all time! Someone I can relate too!!
Lexi Dacy
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Absolutely loved it from start to finish.
Jinianne Gorg
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very well done. Ellie and her "fiancée" are set to inherit but that must meet certain conditions. Will they make it?
Gary Holt
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book started off with hilariously funny sarcasm--maybe worth reading for just the first few chapters. Then as the actual plot developed, it turned into a so-so mystery, and most of the humor disappeared. Not a bad mystery, but I didn't get into it nearly as much.

Definitely light reading, which was what I wanted.
Marfita
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozies, mysteries
Marcia
At times funny, at times romantic, at times mysterious, this first in the series took a little getting used to the author's style. However, this story of family secrets, a mysterious portrait, and a treasure hunt intrigued me enough to put the series on my Kindle library wish list.

Partial to cats with my mysteries, this description of Tobias Feline pleased me: A very conventional cat, he refused to come up the fire escape and through the window. Perched on the hall table outside my door, he woul
Janet Mahlum
This is a fun little English Country Manor mystery full of charm. The writing style is mediocre but plot and characters are nicely developed. Uncle Merlin has passed away and left a will fraught with peril. Ellie and her escort and pretend fiance Ben must live in the house for 6 months. Ben must write a book without a single word of smut and Ellie must lose 63 pounds in that time period. And, as if that doesn't sound impossible enough, they must find the house's treasure. But someone is bent on ...more
Miriam
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
The story was well written, but the book (which I read in electronic format) was so badly proofread I wanted to box someone's ears! It's obvious that it was typed and a spell-check was run, but there was no human intervention before the publishing. Here's an example:
"You may mink poorly of her going off with another man, but she was a remarkable woman."

This would pass spell check, but the word should have been "think". Many instances like this exist in the book, taking one out of the story and b
  • The Family Vault (Kelling & Bittersohn, #1)
  • Malice in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #1)
  • Fool's Puzzle (Benni Harper, #1)
  • Dead Man's Island (Henrie O, #1)
  • The Body in the Belfry (Faith Fairchild, #1)
  • Murder on a Girls' Night Out (Southern Sisters, #1)
  • Just Desserts (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #1)
  • The Body In The Transept (Dorothy Martin, #1)
  • Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1)
  • One Bad Apple (Orchard, #1)
  • Dressed to Keel (A Darcy Cavanaugh Mystery #1)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Aunt Dimity's Death (An Aunt Dimity Mystery #1)
  • Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas, #1)
  • A Pint of Murder (Madoc Rhys #1)
  • Them Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #1)
  • Carbs and Cadavers (A Supper Club Mystery, #1)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
(from Fantastic Fiction online)

Dorothy Cannell was born in London, England, and now lives in Belfast, Maine. Dorothy Cannell writes mysteries featuring Ellie Haskell, interior decorator and Ben Haskell, writer and chef, and Hyacinth and Primrose Tramwell, a pair of dotty sisters and owners of the Flowers Detection Agency.

(from Internet Book List)

Dorothy Cannell, a mother of four, grandmother of te
More about Dorothy Cannell...

Ellie Haskell Mystery (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Widow's Club (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #2)
  • Mum's the Word (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #3)
  • Femmes Fatal (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #4)
  • How to Murder Your Mother-In-Law (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #5)
  • How to Murder the Man of Your Dreams (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #6)
  • The Spring Cleaning Murders (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #7)
  • The Trouble with Harriet (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #8)
  • Bridesmaids Revisited (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #9)
  • The Importance of Being Ernestine (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #10)
  • Withering Heights (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #11)

“once, didn’t ye? He weren’t so sure about” 1 likes