Start by marking “Secret Diary Of A Demented Housewife” as Want to Read:
Secret Diary Of A Demented Housewife

Secret Diary Of A Demented Housewife

3.27  ·  Rating details ·  452 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
When Susie's maiden aunt gives her a housekeeping journal, she expects Susie to use it for jotting down nutritious recipes and planning household budgets. But Susie has more important things on her mind ...Like how to keep sane while trying to control a four-year-old diva who thinks she's Judy Garland, as well as a thrill-seeking toddler with a death wish. Not to mention m ...more
Published October 30th 2007 (first published May 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Diary Of A Demented Housewife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Diary Of A Demented Housewife

Lakshmi C
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a re-read and its fun even after so many years. Susie is a stay at home mom and this chronicles her adventures.

Susie has a huge celebrity gossip and pop culture addiction. She is focused on her kids, she's over protective and analyses everything. For wisdom she turns to Oprah and Dr Phil. For comfort she turns to coffee and desserts. She has a love hate relationship with her body and her wardrobe is waging war against her.

Lets meet the rest of the motley crew :

Joe, her husband is demandi
Lakshmi C
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Lets meet the rest of the motley crew :

Joe, her husband is demandi
Tracy Terry
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Funny(ish) but not nearly as funny as it might have been. As much of the humour lies in the fact that many readers, whether they be a thirty something 'demented housewife' and mother of two themselves or simply know one, will probably relate to at least some of the goings on.

Full of stereotypical characters - the workaholic father, the over-bearing mother in law, the 'hippy' mother, the sexy barbie doll like secretary, the career girl VBF (Very Best Friend) and her MOM (Man of the Moment). But i
Lauren
Oct 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
I've never read a book with a more dislikable main character, who is not demented, just excruciatingly stupid. She screws her husband over because he doesn't constantly fan fragile her ego and then forces him to shoulder the blame because she's that pathetic she can't take responsibility for her own (irrational) actions. The situations are also massively exaggerated. There's nothing wrong with subtle humour, Greene's just incapable of writing comedy without using a sledgehammer to drive it home. ...more
Kristi Sawyer
Aug 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, fiction
A pleasant and enjoyable read. I guess I struggled with context on this one, as I don't think I could be classed as a demented housewife (maybe the first word is relevant...), but nonetheless, this diary was very amusingly written. There were no surprises, just the steady day-to-day life of a housewife struggling to fight for his husband's attention, whilst constantly exhausted by two screaming and very demanding children.

It was a good read, nothing special, but something amusing to keep one oc
Marita Pethick
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is simply hilarious! I bet many (if not all) mums will identify with Susie, the main character, and her amazingly chaotic life! I really liked this book, it had me chuckling all the way through! I'm definitely reading number 2 soon! 5 stars :)
Martina
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious- If you think life is bad, read this. had me chuckling in my bed way after i should have been sleeping!
Lisa
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
A nice easy read.
Amy
Jul 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: can-t-finish
I can't even finish this book. I'm an hour in, and only that because I was trapped on a train with nothing else to do. It's like a bad impression of the worst part of a Bridget Jones book.
Plum-crazy
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
An amusing read but nothing to get over excited about! While it is quite funny I wouldn't say it's particularly original, after all there's only so many variations on the "wife-at-home-with-two-young-horrors-who-thinks-husband-is-cheating-on-her" scenario! There are an awful lot of references to current celebs & I wonder if, in a few years, it will seem very dated.....though I guess the names could always be changed to the current favourites.

I read "Provincial Daughter" a few months before t
M-n
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed it these are obviously taken from real life children and the trials and tribulations of really being a modern MUM.
Leah
Nov 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2010
At the beginning of this year (2010) I read Letters To A Love Rat by Niamh Greene. I’d heard a lot about Niamh’s books so I was pleased to find a second hand copy of Letters To A Love Rat. Unfortunately, though, I didn’t really like the book. However I was told that Secret Diary of a Demented Housewife was miles better so when I saw it in the charity shop I decided to pick it up. I began reading it while I was waiting to have my hair cut and I was soon hooked, thoroughly enjoying peeking into th ...more
Best Crime Books & More
This Niamh Greene book featuring Susie, is the first book I have read of hers and having read the synopsis was looking forward to an enjoyable read. Susie is a mother and housewife who has left work to bring up her two children. Her diary is that of a mum driven to the point of distraction by wayward children, a life where she competes with Eco-friendly school mothers and a best friend who needs a shoulder to cry on.
The first few chapters were very easy to get on with as we read and learn about
Marie Carlino
Jan 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
I had real issues with the main character in this book. She is so immature, shallow, lazy, disorganised and delusional. What really annoyed me is that she would constantly talk about losing weight and then go and eat an absurd amount of junk food. Like seriously? Also who the hell pits themselves against other people in the way that she does beyond school? Also she is ridiculously obsessed with celebrity gossip. She is always jealous of her friend, like grow up, you chose to have kids! There wer ...more
Mariam Abood
I remember not being able to even finish this book, because it was so bad. I remember the only reason why people got into this book was because this book came out around the same time The Diary Of Bridget Jones hit the big screens and became a massive success, so as result, epistolary novels saw a surge in success, and everyone picked this book up thinking it was going to be like Bridget Jones. Unfortunately it was far fucking from it. Because of this, if ever you went to a carboot sale, you wou ...more
Adele Symonds
Jun 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
The blurb on the back of this book starts: ‘One housewife. One year. One hilarious insight into modern family life.’

I hated this book, I didn’t like the narrative character and I didn’t feel that it was representative of a normal everyday housewife.

I found the narrator to be whingy and whiney, negative to the extreme, judgmental of other people, insecure, rude, shallow and unloving.

If this describes me then PLEASE tell me so I can change.

I could not relate to her at all and it felt like she didn
Gem
May 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked the way this book was written, in the form of a diary it makes for quick and easy reading and you can pick it up and put it down easily as its is written in days rather than chapters. I do think the 4 year old girl in it is not a true reflection of how girls that age act she was more like a ten year old and no 4 year old girl would come out with things like I want to look sexy and I'm never going to get a boyfriend now. Very strange. The book was good and interesting the main character d ...more
Nookie
Apr 11, 2009 rated it liked it
This book is quite hilarious, even tho I find some scenes a tad too exaggerated. Good for easy reading as it's written in the style of a diary. But let's give some credit to full-time housewives cause I'm pretty sure most housewives (around the world) are not seriously driven demented by their breed. I'm also confident that housewife mothers nowadays do know how to divide their time accordingly and do have better things to do, instead of just watching daytime opera, slog around in their jogging ...more
Anne Brooke
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I picked this book up during a recent bout of illness, not expecting to enjoy it much, and was pleasantly surprised. The writing is very engaging indeed and I thought the family set up was good and well-described.

Perhaps it's not laugh out loud material, but it did raise a wry smile now and again and the ending was very satisfying. I also enjoyed the voice of the main character and the diary approach was fun.
Barry Rocklin
An Irish housewife falls for the only man in her mommy/toddler play group, while her husband, out of town on a business trip, appears to be having an affair with his young, buxom secretary.

If a Shirley Valentine-esque Irish writing style and UK'isms are uncomfortable for the American reader, it would affect their enjoyment of this book. I, however, was not put off by this, and found it light and entertaining.
Susan Bazzett-Griffith
Enjoyable, but dated, Irish, stay-at-home mom version of the original Bridget Jones' Diary (much better than the last installment by Helen Fielding). Funny and silly and easy to read. Not recommended to anyone who doesn't remember when MTV played Newlyweds and the Osbournes as their primetime lineup, as they will not understand the (sometimes too numerous) pop-culture references throughout the book. Fun read.
Lizzy Attwood
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the first Niamh Greene Book i read, judging by the title i new it wasn't for my age range, nor social status but the Lead Character is just so fabulous you can't not enjoy the book, it has her in rather cringeworthy situtations and but it's very believeable and thats what i love its about this book; it's ordinary people and how they cope with life, and that I think makes this a perfect summer ready, light and zesty.
Kylie
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
I found the central character quite unlikeable - which I know was probably how I was meant to feel about her. Unfortunately I didn't warm to her throughout the book, which again I was probably meant to do. She was annoying, lacked intelligence and tact, as well as being quite rude and lazy. Nothing much really happened either to make it a riveting read.
I did, however, like the diary style of writing.
Yaya
Sep 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love blogging, so naturally I love blogwalking and reading other people's blog. It all come down as my hobby to read diaries.

Soo when I got an opportunity to read the book, I simply cannot put the book down. Ok, it wasn't so hilarious as the reviewer said, still the story is addictive. How a housewife managed to keep her sanity over her daily problems. What I love most is the book cover: funny..witty..simple yet inviting.
Sallyann Van leeuwen
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
My main problem with this book was the main character, Susie. There was nothing to like about her, so I was never invested in her. She was shallow and self indulgent, and negative. If I had a reason to like the character, then I would have felt the laughs, and smiled at the appropriate parts. Granted, as a stay at home Mum you can become a little isolated, but Susie saw everyone in a negative light, and didn't have a nice word to say about anyone, even if it was meant to be tongue in cheek.
Ayşen B.
Jul 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015
Çıldırmış Bir Ev Kadınının Gizli Günlüğü

İki çocuğu olan evli bir kadın. Annelik sonrası kariyerine ara vermiş. Kocası çok çalışıyor. Bu kadının kaybolmuş, yorgun, aldatılmış ve çirkin hissetmesi tanıdık geliyor mu ?

Bir anne gözüyle, bir annenin yaşadıkları. Hafif bir yaz okumalığı olarak iyi gider.

penelopewanders
Jasmine Anne Victoria
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: domestic, funny
I love this bookI was laughing out loud from start to finish. Suzy the main carecter does not beat up her kids which I was quite worried about she just gives into them. I love the part where her dauhter wants a pink bikini and shes convinced to get her one because all the other kids have one. Gets book for alight read you wont be dissapointed.
Megha
Nov 13, 2015 rated it liked it
It was exactly what I felt and thought when I had my baby and was at home for 6 months. The usual reader might not find it appealing, rather it would be a bad book. But if you were to be home after having worked for a few years and do not have an active or rather any social life, I am sure you'd know what the author is talking about.
Lisa Chawner
Aug 06, 2011 rated it liked it
I was going on holidays & wanted something easy, lighthearted & funny to read. Saw this on the shelf at the library & it jumped out at me, I really liked it & will look to see if the author has written any others. Modern day dramas of a housewife very funny!
  • Slummy Mummy
  • Mommy by Mistake
  • Deadkidsongs
  • The Galapagos Islands
  • Effie At The Wedding (The Effie Stories #1)
  • The Yummy Mummy
  • Sorting Out Billy
  • The Life of Riley (Rachel Riley, #2)
  • The TV Kid
  • Never Say Never (Lakeview, #3)
  • The Babysitter's Club 1-26
  • The Bad Mother's Handbook
  • How To Be A Little Sod
  • The Fabulously Fashionable Life of Isabel Bookbinder (Isabel Bookbinder #2)
  • Three In A Bed
  • The Mistress
  • Boys, Brothers and Jelly Belly Dancing (Ally's World, #5)
  • Shine On, Daizy Star