Start by marking “The Lastling” as Want to Read:
The Lastling

The Lastling

2.98  ·  Rating details ·  129 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Fourteen-year-old Paris is thrilled when her rich, influential uncle Franklin decides to take her on a trip to the Himalayas. She hopes this will be her chance to prove just how mature and worthy of his company she is. But this will be no pleasure trip. Franklin and his friends are searching for rare and endangered species, and they travel deep into the war-ravaged forest ...more
Published October 16th 2006 by Clarion Books (first published December 31st 2003)

Shelby
Sep 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this dude catches a yeti and this monk that the dude caught saves it and they run away and a bunch of other stuff happened
Robert
May 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Paris, a spoiled rich girl, joins her uncle Franklin on a strange and mysterious expedition into the Himalayas. Tahr, an orphan boy and young monk in training, is taken on a journey by his master. And then there is a third entity, living in the wild, not expecting outsiders. Their paths are going to cross...

The Lastling is an adventure story. It is never boring. Some details are kept suitably vague - we're never quite sure which country we're in, who the rebels are and whose war is being fought.
Mahnoor
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I analyzed this book in detail, deciphering every sentence, and I think it's very well-written and has a thrilling plot, though it can definitely get a bit boring if you read it the way we had to in class.

The Lastling is about a group of modern people who have illegally found their way into the Himalayas in search for something unique. It revolves around Tahr, a young Buddhist monk who is lost and stumbles onto the camp, and also has some knowledge of the creature they are searching for, Paris,
Coenraad
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exceptional tale of environmental protection and exploitation - with a fantastic twist towards the end.

'n Boeiende verhaal van natuurbewaring en -oorbenutting - met 'n ongewone wending teen die einde.

Jessica
This book is a bit more unique than typical novels dealing with creatures and teens having a fantastical adventure. The creature itself is not described with the stereotypical characteristics for that type of creature (I won't say the type of creature, because it would spoil the book). Also, the story has a bit of a serious tone (for example, dealing with warfare).

The book is easy to read, and the pace of the story is good. I never lost interest in the story (except maybe in the beginning of cha
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure why this is in our syllabus for year 9; it's basically rubbish. Technically a mess and burdened by some big and poorly explored themes - flat as a big flat thing. Y9 are fairly enjoying it though, as the ludicrous plot clips along, after about seven chapters of scene setting and exposition. Original, I suppose, so it can have 2 stars.
Valerie
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about this book and some of its messages bother me. Overall though it was an okay story that turned out very different than what I was expecting. Decent enough, and very original, but I have no plans to ever pick it up again.
Benn Jones
Jul 26, 2012 rated it liked it
This book made very little sense to me, there is a story there but boy is it strange. Also still enjoyable.
Jenny
Jan 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
a unique action adventure featuring Tibet/China conflict, ugly Americans, Buddhism, and mythical creatures.
Nabila Mushtaq
Mar 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book was rubbish. They shouldn't have included this in our syllabus. This book was gross, and lame. That's why they say a book reflects it's author. It doesn't even deserve one star!
Potterhead
Mar 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
This.book.is.rubbish. Please dont take the risk to die of boredom while reading this excuse of a book
Aiza Chaudry
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I dont know, i find it weird, unique and very interesting. At some point it got boring and i stopped reading it but it did turn out to be a relentless adventure story. I like it.... ending however remains a mystery..
The story revolves around Tahr, the young monk-boy in training leaves for Himalayas with his Master Shango who well.... dies... Tahr strange and simple, doesn't know much about world or english. He's young and lost, doesn't know anything about his family and has nightmares regarding
Hamza Najam
May 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
Neill Smith
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Paris is traveling with black sheep uncle she idolizes and a motley crew of adventurers on a mysterious search for unconventional experiences when she meets Tahr, a young apprentice Buddhist monk whose master has just been killed while they were on a pilgrimage in northern India. Tahr has seen a yeti – the abominable snowman – and the search has taken a new direction.
Zoha Rashid
the first n second chapter of lastling are no fun at all!i didnt like them but when u move on to the middle of the story it gets thrilling and you really wanna drop everything until you have finished the story!actually it was given to me as a h.w for my vacations so that made it boring to read this but i liked it!do read it!its quite amazing!
Marianne
Aug 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: student-choice
It is cool the way the lives of the three "teens" come together to tell the tale of the last creature of a species. I also liked how it talked about man's role in the extinction. It is a different look at things.
Patricia Kaniasty
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not a very exciting book. It had its moments but they were few and far between. I actually thought about not finishing it, but it kept drawing me back in. I guess it being about yetis is what kept me going. I had to see how the story ended. Kinda sad.
Fakoo
Jun 01, 2015 marked it as to-read
It's my book course
Pages and Papercuts
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
*2 STARS

Won't be doing full review for this one.
陈uuu
Jun 01, 2014 added it
it's good
Mah
Oct 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't like this book much. But somehow, this book gave me peace.
Anathema  Pulsifer
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times I thought it was weak, but it definitely caught me in the end. A story that portrays the role of humankind in the extinction of species and takes you to the edge of many lives....
Avril
Oct 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm still reading it, don't know if I'll like it or not but my prediction is that I'll love it! :)
Iraj Shakir
Apr 20, 2013
Navera
Jun 16, 2015
Becky
rated it did not like it
Apr 18, 2010
Shannie Pie
Sep 01, 2008
Anum
rated it it was ok
Jun 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Black List (Sydney Fitzpatrick, #4)
  • Patalosh: The Time Travelers
  • Four Red Diamonds (Lady Marmalade, #1-4)
  • Top Producer: A Novel of Dark Money, Greed, and Friendship
  • Unbound: A True Story of War, Love, and Survival
  • Wolverine: First Class - The Rookie
  • Don't Ever Get Old (Buck Schatz, #1)
  • Dream Paris
  • She Thief
  • The Blossom Sisters
  • Fattypuffs and Thinifers
  • The Road of Bones
  • Where Is Home, Little Pip?
  • Theories of Relativity