Start by marking “Old Wounds: Spirit Walk Book One (Star Trek: Voyager)” as Want to Read:
Old Wounds: Spirit Walk Book One (Star Trek: Voyager)

Old Wounds: Spirit Walk Book One

(Star Trek: Voyager: Spirit Walk #1)

Captain Chakotay, one-time Maquis resistance fighter, is ready to prove himself as the new commanding officer of the Starship Voyager - but sceptics back at Starfleet Command are watching him closely for any sign that he will revert to his renegade Maquis ways. His first mission as captain, to transport a group of displaced colonists back to their home planet of Loran II, ...more
Published September 4th 2012 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published November 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Old Wounds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Wounds

Erica
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Oh, come on," sputtered Kaz as Janeway prepared to sink yet another ball.
The outburst was perfectly timed. Janeway laughed and her shot went wild. Still laughing, she yielded to Chakotay.
"I pass it to you, my old friend," she said, and he knew she referred to more than the table.
Tomorrow would mark his first official day as captain of the U.S.S. Voyager. The ship would be relaunched, with its new captain, new crew, and new missions.

I really like this book, and I feel that I got a very good im
Rose
Sep 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trek, sci-fi
I feel almost *guilty* reviewing this one one star, because it seems to me that Golden put such heart and effort into writing this novel -- I think she really cares about these characters and the story she's telling.

But oh, it drove me nuts.

Biggest pet peeve: continuing and worsening a trend began in the first two books of the series, this book is hardly about the crew of Voyager. This is especially frustrating because what the crew of Voyager is up to -- Janeway and Tuvok teaching at Starfleet
Gerry
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm determined to read all the relaunch books in order. Started with DS9 and the story lead to the Voyager books according to a couple of sites. I can't wait to get past these. The DS9 books were just as good as the show. The Voyager books so far have been a mess and this one is no exception. Still I'll move on to the next one because I guess I've set a goal.
Alex Brideau III
Advances the story, but...

While this novel brings the Voyager saga into the era of Chakotay assuming his captaincy, I’m not a fan these Part 1/Part 2 novels and would prefer a single, longer story.
Tamara
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
The biggest problem I've had with all these new Voyager books so far is that I really don't feel like the author understands the Star Trek universe and particularly the Federation. The book isn't bad, and it's certainly closer to the TV series than the first two.
Peter Lowry
Solid setup to both furthering the story of the (now scattered) Voyager Crew & for the sequel novel.
Hard to give it more than a 3 solely due to it only being half a story, I'd give it 3.5 if that was an option.

Otherwise, well written & a good read!
Janet Russell
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Scifi at its best!

Another good scifi novel in the Voyager series
carrying on from where the original TV series left off good story all round but a little short!
Jamie
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable book. From start to finish
Yvette
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story really moves. The character development is engaging and there a lot of our Voyager heroes in each plot. The cliffhanger ending had me wanting more.
Lucy Fudge
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read

Once again this author has amazed me with this book! I’ve enjoyed the other two I’ve read and can’t wait to continue the series!
Anna Macdonald
An ok bool

Not one of my favorite Voyager book. Too much unknown information plus all tje action is at the very end.
Daniel
Oct 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not exactly Voyager as you remembered. In the first of a two-part book series, Spirit Walk sends Voyager out with Chakotay as Captain and Kim at security. Apparently, Janeway and Tuvok have a desk job, Seven and the Doctor are in a think tank, and Tom and B'Elanna are connecting with her roots. The beginning of the book is a bit unusual, I wonder why Starfleet decided to send Voyager out stripped of all Borg and future tech. According to the book, it is to preserve the timeline but ALL of the te ...more
Sean Randall
"Fishing out the diamond ring from the creamy whiteness and cleaning it with a napkin, Harry said, 'Well, maybe the whipped cream bit wasn't the best idea, but it sounded awfully romantic.'"

My relationship with Voyager books is something of an on-off one. I've been highly unimpressed with many of the episode novelisations, which has often been done much better in DS9. Still, this is no episode, but one does have to ask - is it voyager?

"It has been my experience that for humans, a common way to
Cameron
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to be blown away by this book. I was fresh off the homecoming/farther shore and figured I'd see where the author was taking these characters. Unfortunately, I found this entry to be so difficult to get through, that I'm not sure I'll ever pick up the second part.

Problem 1: The pacing is way too slow to justify splitting this into two books.

Problem 2: Most characters you know and love from Star Trek: Voyager are barely represented in this book. Paris and Torres have a seemingly
Jimyanni
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This is a well-written, interesting book. Unfortunately, it won't stand on its own. If you like stories that continue from book to book, you can take this as a five-star review; just be sure to read both "Homecoming" and "The Farther Shore" before you read this one; it is the third book in the storyline, and makes little sense if you haven't read the preceding books. Given that the back cover actually says that it is the "continuation" of those two books, I won't dock the book an additional star ...more
Beth - ;)
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a while since I read a Trek book but this was worth the wait. It has been on my bookshelf waiting for quite some time, having been published in 2004 and almost certainly purchased at that time. Spirit Walk is a two-book series so I still have book two yet to read.

In book one, Old Wounds, the crew of Voyager has been home for several months and Chakotay is now the captain. His first mission is a simple one; transport a group of colonists back to their home planet, but of course it ne
Tyler Volz
Artificially split into two parts to rake in twice the profit, this book is insulting. Nothing happens for the entirety of the novel. Some characters are shoehorned on with hardly any backstory and we are supposed to just accept them as part of Voyager's crew. Tom and B'Elanna spend some time in the caves of Boreth where nothing happens. Chakotay leads a delegation to a planet while nothing happens on board. The Trill doctor has a past host give him some problems... but nothing happens. Harry's ...more
Adam
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I have read a number of Star Trek voyager novels. Some good, some not so good. This book definitely triumphs.
One of the main issues with tv programmes being used for novels is that authors take a poetic license and write things that characters would never say. There were one or two instances of this here (B'lanna using the word 'honey') but mostly, it was excellent. The interactions between the characters were realistic and I found the concept of a new voyager kept my attention.

The story c
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
Pocket has done a great job with all of the "post-finale" Star Trek books, as they call them. The overall trend is toward a much darker, more realistic, and more complete picture of the ST Universe than we're used to seeing. This one is pretty good, which I didn't really expect. Voyager was, to me, the least compelling of the shows and the Chakotay's spirits episodes were among the worst...but in print it works.
Dan Gilman
Ugh I ended up getting sucked into this after Endgame, it isn't bad actually, but it is part one of God knows how many more, at the end of the day it was actually a pretty good read for Star Trek, but don't confuse that for "a good read." by any means. It's interesting to see the author stay true to the characters we know, while developing new ones, and the story lines are actually fluid weaving together so major points for that, but there are better Trek novels.
Angela
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a new captain on Voyager with a new crew. Some of the crew who were involved in the Dominion war think that Voyager had it easy. Their first mission is to take colonists back to their homes in the Badlands. This is a very character driven story, and I really started to like this new crew. I look forward to more adventures with them. A very good read.
Sabine
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chakotays erstes Kommando auf der Voyager. Zusammen mit seiner Schwester Sekaya soll er Kolonisten auf Loran II bringen. Doch als sie den Planeten erreichen, ist dieser leer.

Ein weiterer spannenden Band, der endlich in Deutsch erschienen Reihe von Christie Golden und somit ein Muss für die Fans der Voyager und natürlich des schneidigen "First Officers", der nun das Kommando übernommen hat.
Nicolas
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This is part one of an excellent duology detailing Voyager's first missions after they return to the Alpha Quadrant.

Tune in here for my discussion on some favorite Trek books and comics: https://soundcloud.com/allthebooks/ep...
Richard
It is ok and for me, a lovely dip into the Star Trek Voyager world... But just to be clear it is not a self contained story; it is part 1 of the "Spirit Walk" book. It ends right a a vital part... Am on part 2 now!!
Deanna
I loved this book!!!! OMG! i freaked out in the ending! I thought the changeling was going to get away and I felt there was no hope for Chokaty and his sister! Made me crave the second book.
Michael
I've never been a big Chakotay fan, but it was a decent story.
Fate's Lady
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I mostly enjoyed this story, but the pacing was slow and it didn't stand out too strongly.
Gail
May 25, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Since this entire book was a set up for part 2, it is sort of hard to rate it.
Robert Lewter
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cliff hanger!

• Full Circle (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • The Nanotech War (Star Trek Voyager #39)
  • Evolution (Star Trek Voyager: String Theory, #3)
  • Distant Shores
  • Cohesion (Star Trek Voyager: String Theory, #1)
  • The Garden (Star Trek Voyager, #11)
  • Chrysalis (Star Trek Voyager, #12)
  • The Black Shore (Star Trek Voyager, #13)
  • Endgame
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • Q & A (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Shadow (Star Trek Voyager: Section 31, #4)
  • Cybersong (Star Trek Voyager, #8)
  • Greater than the Sum (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek - The Next Generation: The Second Decade #4)
Award-winning author Christie Golden has written over thirty novels and several short stories in the fields of science fiction, fantasy and horror. She has over a million books in print.

2009 will see no fewer than three novels published. First out in late April will be a World of Warcraft novel, Athas: Rise of the Lich King. This is the first Warcraft novel to appear in hardcover. Fans of the youn

Star Trek: Voyager: Spirit Walk (2 books)
  • Enemy of My Enemy (Star Trek: Voyager; Spirit Walk, #2)