Start by marking “Redwall The Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
Redwall The Graphic Novel

Redwall The Graphic Novel

(A Tale of Redwall)

It was meant to be: The classic fantasy adventure that began the Redwall phenomenon is finally available in a cool graphic format. Illustrated by renowned comics artist Bret Blevins, Redwall: The Graphic Novel brings to life all the battles, all the heroes, and all the villains in a fun new format perfect for reluctant readers, those just entering the Redwall world, or the ...more
Published October 4th 2007 by Philomel Books

Montzalee Wittmann
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful

Redwall:The graphic novel is just as exciting as the regular novel if not more! I enjoyed the terrific art work and the story which takes follows the original novel but only with less words and more visual clues.
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Matthias Mouse, whose home is being attacked by the evil rat Cluny the Scourge, is on a quest to recover the legendary sword of Martin of Redwall, so that he can meet Cluny in battle. There are riddles and secret passageways, old enemies and unexpected friends, and of course, several mighty battle scenes!

I adore the full novel, Redwall, so seeing it in graphic form was exciting! There is so much more depth to the story that couldn't be included in this format, but it still managed to fit most ev
Linda
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Linda by: CHCPL card catalog
I did not realize this book existed in graphic form until I specifically perused the card catalog for my library. Redwall was a favorite book of my son and mine when he was much younger.
This is a story of anthropomorphic animals who live in an Abbey. Brian Jacques was the original author. He knew how to spin a yarn - or several since there are 21 books in the series.
I loved the revisit to Mossflower Woods. The graphics are in black and white which was an initial disappointment to me, but I was q
Betsy
Dec 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Once there may have been a need for warrior mice to guard Redwall Abbey, but those days have long since passed. Now the most that young Matthias can hope for is to someday become an abbot himself. As they say, the days of the warrior are past. Or rather, they would be if Cluny the Scourge and his crew of blood-thirsty rats weren't travelling straight for the Abbey with murder on their minds. Now the good animals must band together to fight this terrible invader. For Matthias, that means going on ...more
Liz
Nov 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: struggling readers and graphic novel enthusiasts
Shelves: lis-565
This graphic novel adaptation of Brian Jacques classic Redwall offers a quick overview of the story line. Set in Mossflower county in Redwall Abby, young Matthais dreams of being a great mouse warrior like Martin. When Cluny the Scourge attacks the Abby, Matthais must find Martin's sward and defend his home. With the help of his forest friends Matthais defeats Cluny and his amy becoming the warrior mouse of Redwall and champion of the order.

When compared to the classic Redwall, the graphic novel
Kelsey Hanson
If you look at some of my previous reviews it is painfully obvious that I LOVE the Redwall series. This review is based stictly on how the artist adapted that story and not the actual plot of the story itself. If you want my thoughts on that one go read my other review. This book was a bit disappointing for me. The artwork itself is fairly impressive but maany scenes that could have easily been included were cut, especially the feasts! There are also main characters who get little more than a me ...more
Jessalyn King
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I feel like I may have enjoyed the book book of this better. This graphic novel edition was OK, but it had a few issues.

#1: the drawings weren't good enough to be able to distinguish between the characters. This becomes a problem for #2

#2: the lack of female mice. There was one as a love interest, of sorts, but it wasn't made obvious. She is a character at the beginning, she may be somewhere in the middle (but I couldn't tell if she was present), and then at the end, she's creepily gifted to Mat
Amanda
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This brought back memories of reading the actual novel for the first time many years ago. The series was such a big part of my childhood and developing who I am now.
Since it is such a short graphic novel, the story is much condensed, but it's a fun read if you're already in love with the Redwall world and just want to see it in picture form. The art is pretty good. The good guys are cute, the bad guys are delightfully evil looking, and the backgrounds and the abbey itself are beautiful.
I'd rec
Heather
Jul 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Jess
Nov 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel, juv
Graphic novel
For 4th grade and up

When Redwall Abbey is attacked by rats led by Cluny the Scourge, the young mouse Matthias must enlist the help of other animals and learn to be a warrior.

Brian Jacques thick novel has been wittled down to 143 pages and retold in pictures through this graphic novel version. The format may make it more appealing for readers unfamiliar with the series, or intimidated by the length of the books, but the vocabulary is still fairly complex and many pages are text-heavy
Sylvia
Sep 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Ceritanya keren. Tentang sebuah castle (Redwall Abbey) yang dihuni oleh mouse, dipimpin oleh Father Abbot. Trus kedamaian di castle tersebut terganggu dengan kedatangan rats yang dipimpin oleh Cluny The Scourge. Mereka ingin merebut castle tersebut.

Tersebutlah Martin the Warrior yang dulu pernah mengalahkan wildcat, namun dia terluka. Peninggalannya berupa pedang tersembunyi di suatu tempat, dan hanya pedang itu yang mampu mengalahkan Cluny, serta melindungi Redwall.

Maka Matthias, a young mouse,
Dolly
Jul 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: middle grade readers
Our girls attend a local library book club and Redwall was discussed at the July meeting. One of the club members brought this book - she couldn't get the novel and didn't have time to read it before the meeting. I was excited to see this version; we have become big fans of graphic novels and I was eager to read it.

The narrative is very dramatic and engaging and from what I've read of the novel so far (only about a fourth of it), it is faithful to the tale and doesn't lose too much in the adapt
Magila
3.5

I am not an avid Redwall reader. There is something about anthropomorphic animals that has always been off-putting to me. This graphic novel seemed to be a way of bridging that gap.

Between the black and white (that felt like it needed color) and the overall story, I started and put this book down a month or two ago. After about 4 pages, I picked something else up, and about 3 novels, 5 graphic novels, and 50 children's books later I decided to give it another go. I'm glad I did.

The story of
Kellie
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
How many times have I read the novel version of Redwall? 3 or 4 times. So, I think that I can say with a lot of certainty that the graphic novel edition is very true to the book dialogue/plot wise. I did have to give the book 4/5 stars instead of 5 because I wasn't super thrilled by the art. I loved the style but I didn't really like that it was in black and white. The books always had the most vivid descriptions so I think the graphic novel would've been so much better if it was in color.
Overa
Mont
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: introduce younger readers to Redwall
Recommended to Mont by: Library
MONT'S AERIE
I had tried to read the original novel to my 7-year old son last summer, but I felt that he was getting lost in the lyrical language that praised all the flora and fauna of the woods and meadow, despite how charming that writing was to me. I shelved the project, intending to pick it up again when he reached about 10. Then I stumbled across the idea of seeing if there was a graphic novel, so I bought it for his 8th birthday. (I did this for Pullman's "The Golden Compass" as well.) Pro
Hazel Honeycutt-Dill
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As you can see, it was a graphic novel and has pictures. It was a very good book. I recommend reading it to your son and daughter. I think you would really like it.

The part I really liked was when the sparrows and shrews attacked and you could see the big battle. And I also liked it a lot. It also has a good amount of fantasy so if you like fantasy I think you would like this.
Amy
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Might get a non-reader interested in reading the real book. It was nice to read the story with images to go along with it. Unfortunately it left out some of my favorite bits. I guess that's what happens when you shrink a longer story into a short story.
Emily D
i think it was better than the great little madison
Cassie Lanning
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, high-fantasy
Actual rating: 4.75 stars
The book this is based on will always have a special place in my heart as the book that made me love reading. I feel like the graphic novel not only captured the spirit of the story, but actually showed most of said story how I imagined it. I actually read this a long time ago and actually have vivid memories of thinking the pictures of Cluny looked really terrifying (bear in mind that I was still in the 5-11 age range).

Now, despite the fact that I love this graphic nove
Ris
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Everyone keeps telling me I would have been ALL OVER this series if I read it in middle school like (apparently) everyone else did.

Alas, I did not. So while I thought it was pretty neat, it wasn't anything overwhelming. I can appreciate in hindsight the nods that some other fiction works I've read and RPGs I've played gave nods to Redwall. But I've also read plenty of fantasy that was written before Redwall, and Redwall seems to be more of that.

That isn't bad, per say. I'm just not excited lik
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)
This review was originally posted on Lazy Day Literature

Matthias Mouse dreams of being like Martin the Warrior. When a band of fearsome rats attacks the abbey, led by Cluny the Scourge, he gets his chance. After finding a few clues as to the whereabouts of Martin's famous sword, Matthias sets off on an adventure to claim his right to the sword and protect the creatures of the abbey and the surrounding lands.

It has been almost two decades since I read the full novel and there was a lot that I ha
Michelle Rachitoff
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
1. Awards the book has received (if any): N/A
2. Appropriate grade level(s): 4th grade and above
3. Original 3-line summary: This book is about Redwall Abbey and a mouse carrier named Matthias. There is a rat army coming to try and attack Redwall. Matthia must follow in Martin the Warrior's footsteps to help save his community before Cluny's rat army destroys everything.
4. Original 3-line review: The illustrations are captivating and will keep the students engaged. There is also action involved
StrangeAeons
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Redwall, but I'm a bit conflicted as to my opinion on this graphic novelization. At 143 pages, this is a truncated version of the first novel in an epic saga, which will always be best suited to be read on the page. You do lose some depth of Brian Jacques' original prose (edited here by Stuart Moore).

However, I did love seeing the world of Redwall come to life and I could see this serving as a good introduction for some folks, especially considering the 22 novels that make up the Redwall
Jeremiah John
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chldren-s-myth
My four-year-old son absolutely loved this graphic novel. The evil in it is absolute, and the good is well-defined. That is, the evil rats kill their own kind as well as the innocent, and the good mice are loath to fire arrows that could injure even creatures attacking them. Children need these distinctions in a world of Batmen to give them a ground from which later transgressions become interesting. I do wish it was color, but I still rate it five stars.
Katka Lady
I have not read the novel version of this book, and perhaps you need to in order to fill in what feels like large gaps and details that are missing from this version. It is quite choppy and fast paced. It doesn't have the kind of character developed that feels needed in order for Matthias to change from the clumsy dreamer to the heroic warrior. Also some of the villains are so quickly dealt with that it feels like they were hardly that dangerous at all.

I found this just kinda meh.
Lucas Miller
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This copy came from a middle school library. It hadn't been checked out very recently. We just finished reading the first Redwall aloud to our daughter and this was a fun, quick read that I think highlights the action/adventure angle of the book while making it feel even more like a kid's book. If you are a fan of the series, this is a very quick, nearly visual summary of the book.
Nighteye
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very very beautiful graphic novel in black and white illustrations. Full coverage of the detailed story and a greast complement to the series as scales between the rats and mouses is good and we'll depicted. Just watched the Redwall TV series season 1-3 and this gives as detailed coverage as this. The story comes alive in a beautiful and sometimes brutal manner.
Victoria
Having been a fan of Redwall for many years, I was excited to read this adaptation. However, if I had not already been familiar with the story, it would have been nearly impossible to follow due to the lack of narration in the graphic novel. As a Redwall fan, I enjoyed the book, but as a reader it left much to be desired.
Scott Hayden
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Redwall, sanctuary of healing and help, needs a warrior. Cluny the Scourge has laid seige to Redwall, but a warrior haunts his dreams. Will the spirit of of Martin return? Can Mathias find the sword?
And, can foxes be trusted?
Jim
Wow! This got intense pretty quickly.

And was pretty dark at times. I wonder how this differs from the novels. It seems like there could be some good exposition that might make the story flow a little better.

It was ok. 2.5 Stars.
  • Redwall Friend and Foe: The Guide to Redwall's Heroes and Villains
  • And Then There Were Gnomes: Book 2
  • The Battling Bands (Knights of the Lunch Table, #3)
  • The Sign of the Black Rock (Three Thieves, #2)
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • Travels of Thelonious (The Fog Mound #1)
  • The Muppet Show Comic Book: Meet The Muppets
  • The Shadow Door
  • Mouse Guard: Winter 1152 (Mouse Guard, #2)
STUART MOORE is a writer, a book editor, and an award-winning comics editor. Among his current writing projects are THE ZODIAC LEGACY, created and cowritten by Stan Lee and published by Disney, featuring an all-new team of teenaged super heroes in a series of illustrated prose novels and graphic novels; DOMINION: LAST SACRIFICE, a comic book series for Amazon/Jet City; and THANOS: DEATH SENTENCE, ...more