Start by marking “The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 1 (The Astounding Wolf-Man, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 1 (The Astounding Wolf-Man, #1)

The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 1 (The Astounding Wolf-Man #1)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  599 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
When Gary Hampton is mauled and left for dead, his life takes a drastic turn! Gary is cursed --when the moon is full he transforms into a beast of the night -- a werewolf! This curse will not be used for evil -- witness the birth of the world's most unlikely new superhero -- The Astounding Wolf-Man!
Published July 1st 2008 by Image Comics (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 1

ABookishGift Reviews (Max)
Ugh not for me
Kris43
May 26, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a blend between supernatural horror(ish) and superhero genre.
It is a quick, fast paced and fun read, just not particularly deep or complex.

One day this dude goes on a trip in wilderness and gets mauled by what they suspect is a bear.
He is left in critical condition, just waiting to die.
Turns out it was not a bear, but a werewolf.
The dude makes a complete recovery and starts learning how to control his inner beast.

Now for the bad parts:

The whole blend of genres works out mostly fine,
Leo
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, read-in-english
End of the year revision: this is more of a two stars= it was ok. You can go on on living without reading it.
Matti Karjalainen
Hamptonin perheen lomaretki Wyomingin leirintäalueella saa ikävän lopun kun liikemiehenä työskentelevän isäpappa-Garyn raatelee suurpeto, jota epäillään yleisesti karhuksi. Seuraavan täydenkuun aikana käy ilmi, että pedon hyökkäyksellä on muitakin vaikutuksia kuin sairaalareissu...

Robert Kirkmanin, mestarillisen "The Walking Dead" -kauhusarjakuvan käsikirjoittaman luoman "The Astounding Wolfmanin"(Image, 2010) alkumetrit ovat kuin mistä tahansa perinteisestä ihmissusimyyttiä käsittelevästä kauhu
Timothy Pitkin
I do like that it does avoid a lot of the cliches of werewolf and vampire fiction with the fact that Gary is upfront with his family about his new state and that he is not trying to fight the werewolf side and instead using it to be a super hero. But it does some really interesting stuff as we do see the beginning of a life falling apart but it is not because of the main character being a werewolf but just because of coincidence and other situations in Gary's life. The only major complaint is th ...more
Nick Scott
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun take on the werewolf mythos, and I very much enjoy the super hero-filled world Kirkman created here.
Erik
May 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Kirkman just may be the most prolific writer in the comics medium today. If not penning the exploits of Rick and his fellow survivors of a zombie holocaust in The Walking Dead, he also manages to put out several other superhero titles – the newest of which is The Astounding Wolf-Man. Although the premise is intriguing enough – man mysteriously bitten and transformed into the titular hirsute creature – there are a number of plot and art elements that jar my ability to suspend my disbelief. First, ...more
Zane
Mar 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Wolf-men are hard to translate into comics. There was that Swamp Thing one shot about the menstruating wolf-woman that was pretty tight (actually probably the most interesting attempts of that era to address Adrian Rich style alienation through the horror comics medium, also probably the only one). There were some old school wolf-man stories in some EC comics, like 'Vault of Horror' vol. 1 where the guy thinks he is a wolf man but then... Well, I won't ruin it.

The other take is the wolf-man bec
Trent
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the page for volume 1 of the trade edition, but I'd like to recommend this series as a whole.

The thing I love about this story is its characters. They are very believable and organic. They change and cause change. They're dynamic and portrayed in such a way that you have to love even the antagonists (or at least sympathize with them). When I think of Mecha Maid's introduction, all I can think of is how perfectly that one page did her justice as a character and how much it told me about h
Jukka Kuva
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Astounding Wolf-Man is a comic about a man who gets attacked by a werewolf and as a result becomes a werewolf himself. He uses his curse to fight crime and is mentored by an old vampire, Zecharias. The Astounding Wolf-Man is kind of a combination of Kirkman's main comics, Invincible and The Walking Dead. It combines Invincible's superheroism and flashy action with The Walkin Dead's darkness and ruthlessness. Although the combination doesn't quite rise to the level of neither of the "original ...more
Nicolas Ronvel
Aug 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, english
Une bonne lecture de comics, avec un personnage original. Le dessin colle parfaitement à l'histoire, et les personnages sont très intéressants à suivre. L'histoire, sous des atours classiques, arrive rapidement à sortir des sentiers battus, et la spirale infernale qui se forme autour du héros va crescendo jusqu'à la dernière page.

En plus d'une histoire intéressante, le TPB propose une introduction très intéressante de Robert Kirkman, expliquant les origines du projet. Les dernières pages, elles,
Brad
Mar 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, image-comics
Robert Kirkman wanted to write a straight forward werewolf-as-superhero comic... and succeeded! Nothing in the book is trailblazing, but it's all pretty good. The twists and turns feel awfully familiar--the untrustworthy vampire Zechariah feels like a character out of Kirkman's Invincible--but not boring. All the other heroes and villains in the book feel pretty faceless, but Wolf-Man, his family, and his neat lair are all pretty great.
Pat Sul
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
not a big kirkman fan. if asked i couldn't explain why 'walking dead' is so popular: i just don't see it.

so i checked this out not expecting much.
i was pleasantly surprised.
a rip roaring (ahem) action story - with a nice mix of personal issues and a building mythology. blood, excitement and intrigue combine to make this a pretty spiffy read.
liked jason howard's simple but bold art.

this isn't a book that is going to set new standards, but then who cares if it does? it delivers a fun entertai
Trike
Apr 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Despite the horror-movie font this book springs from (and all the blood and gore), these is a fairly lightweight story. Kirkman is good at putting a story together but he doesn't build menace or use artistic things like foreshadowing (or foreboding). The story feels well-plotted but it's really just a straight-forward adventure tale. That said, it's an enjoyable read and the art is extremely good with nice clear drawings and dynamic page layouts. Plus, you know, super-powered werewolves. That ge ...more
Morgan
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Well, it is ok. Were it not for loving Kirkman's other stuff I'd give up on this entirely. Mostly it is just depressing. We just have unlikable characters running through a by the book story, with some gore for shock value. Kirkman loves to beat up on his characters, but in Invincible and even Walking Dead there are savvy bits and even moments of joy and redemption. With this it feels like he's just crapping on his characters over and over again because that's his "style."
Sean
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kirkman fans
Robert Kirkman creates another title that is in another familiar genre but doesn't make it seem to "by the numbers". While his mega-hit, The Walking Dead, is possibly paced too slow, here the pace is too fast. I would love to read more character development with Gary and his family. The art by Jason Howard is very good except when it comes down to details and his normal people. The action shots of Wolf-man are great. Overall, it was a fun book and I look forward to reading more.
Trey
Aug 07, 2010 rated it liked it
I like Robert Kirkman from Invincible>, so I wanted to like this more than I actually did. The premise is a good one (a failing business man is attacked by a werewolf and becomes a super hero; why wouldn't he?), but the characterization and writing are not as sophisticated as I was expecting. I will check out the next few volumes because this edition drops off in the middle of a storyline, but it's not an essential read by any means. Check out Invincible> instead.
Joe Young
May 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Robert Kirkman - author

At this point Kirkman's style is beginning to wear on me. Don't get me wrong -- this was a good graphic novel. The strong point, as with most of Kirkman's work, is character development and fast-paced plotting. Definitely worth a check-out at the public library, and fans of werewolves, vampires et al. will definitely love it.
Jason Bloom
A rich guy gets the powers of a werewolf and becomes a superhero. DONE.
Although promising, I would recommend Invincible and The Walking Dead as Kirkman's superior works WELL ahead of this one. The first volume was okay, but I am probably not going to go search out the rest. Good plot twists though; that Kirkman is one f-ed up dude. In a good way.
Stacy Fetters
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
Great concept with so-so art. Just didn't appeal to me like a true horror/superhero comic usually does.
Everyone thinks Kirkman is the greatest comic writer of our time, my opinion is that hes mediocre with a side of asshole.
I think if the writing was better it would of been a smidge more likable.
Silas
Oct 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is kind of a by-the-numbers superhero origin story for a businessman who becomes a werewolf. The only slightly different thing is that he has a family, as well as a business. The art is in a modern cartoon style, which isn't bad, but tends to soften up the image of a werewolf. This is a decent start, but not quite interesting enough to get me to be interested in reading more.
Josef Ploski
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I've loved Were-wolves and the Wolfman since I was a little kid and this series delivers a great wolf-man trying to do good but with all sorts of twists and turns and intrigue galore. I can't wait to get my hands on volume two.
Travis
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
Great idea, nice art and a sympathetic, likable lead character, but so much of the story seems to be 'how much can we dump on this guy?'
After awhile I got tired of it and not even the cool idea of 'monster turns super hero', could keep me coming back.

Would make good movie though.

Tom Malinowski
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gary Hampton has been bitten by a werewolf. His family life goes through ups and downs, he's befriended by a vampire who trains him and may not be telling the whole truth, and Gary encounters other werewolves and other super-heroes. Not bad.
John Opalenik
Jun 23, 2013 rated it liked it
This combines two of my favorite things from my childhood, superheroes and werewolves. That being said, it's definitely not a kid's book.

It certainly won't go down in comic book history, but I did enjoy it a lot.
Earline
Aug 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, comics, pretty, series
crime-fighting werewolf? HELL YES!

this is the first Robert Kirkman comic that I've read and actually liked. I also loved the artwork! super bloody!
Mike
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a blast! Not nearly as meaty as Walking Dead, but one of the best superhero comics I've read in awhile. And it doesn't hurt that you can blow through it in an hour.
M.i.
Jul 10, 2016 rated it liked it
It was okay. Nothing that broke the mold as far as werewolf/vampire lore. It felt like it was paving the way for something bigger.
Kevin
May 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
started slow. picked up near the end. interested in reading more.
  • Dynamo 5, Volume 1: Post-Nuclear Family
  • Hack/Slash Vol. 1: First Cut
  • Skullkickers, Vol. 1: 1000 Opas and a Dead Body
  • Black Summer
  • Life Sucks
  • Waking Nightmares (Shadow Saga #5)
  • The Sword, Vol. 3: Earth
  • Welcome to Tranquility, Vol. 1
  • 1140 Rue Royale (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #3)
More about Robert Kirkman

The Astounding Wolf-Man (4 books)
  • The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 2