Start by marking “Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6)” as Want to Read:
Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6)

Martin the Warrior (Redwall #6)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  36,486 Ratings  ·  446 Reviews
Finally, the long awaited tale of Martin, the Warrior mouse of Redwall

As a child, Martin was brought to the stronghold of Badrang the Tyrant, forced into enslavement behind its massive walls. But he was strong. He was brave. And mere escape was not his plan as long as his father’s sword rested in Badrang’s ruthless fist…
Mass Market Paperback, 376 pages
Published September 30th 1999 by Ace (first published October 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Martin the Warrior, please sign up.

Kimberly If you wanted to read this series in chronological order, you could definitely start here and everything would make perfect sense.

Cait • A Page with a View
If you like medieval-type fantasy adventure stories, I cannot recommend the Redwall series enough. I know it's about talking animals, but it's seriously something adults would love as well! The whole world is so wonderfully detailed and complex. The stories get pretty emotional - I definitely teared up at a lot of battle scenes/deaths in middle school. They're pretty epic.

The books were published in a different order than the stories take place, so you can read most of them in any order! Like t
Kogiopsis
One of the things I came across when I was young and completely obsessed with Redwall was a quote from Brian Jacques, in the introduction to 'Redwall Friend and Foe' where he stated, emphatically, "Goodies are good!" I can't help thinking about that when I think about this book, because here's the thing: while on its surface Redwall can look like a series with black and white morality, where certain people are good and others are bad, the stories themselves often overturn those expectations, and ...more
Annie Hawthorne
I think I will just find a blankie, and a corner to cry my heart out in.
Stephan Sevenyoln
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Martin the Warrior is probably one of the best Redwall books. While the writing is decidedly clunky at best, you never notice once you get into the book. Martin the Warrior has everything; it has the drama, the sadness, the love and hate of The Lord of the Rings.
It also has the revenge and hate of Felldoh, and off course the sadness of the death's of some central characters.
I felt the difference between Martin and Felldoh strongly; Felldoh was imprisoned all his life, and was forever changed b
Nikki
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I hadn’t thought of rereading these seriously until I realised that reading a childhood book was on the list for a reading challenge, and then my sister returned all my copies to make room on her shelves for her own books. Then I thought, well, why not? I remember that I found the books getting a bit repetitive as the series went on (and on, and on) but Martin the Warrior was the first I read, and it’s obvious why it hooked me as a kid. It’s a little bit deterministic — rats are evil, mice are g ...more
Kevin Xu
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read, favorites
This was the book that got me into fantasy, and fill in love with reading. My teacher in grade school loved the story, and all my friends read the series. So I gave it a try on audio, and felt in love with audio and this series. This is my favorite book of the Redwall series. I just love the character of Martin the Warrior. This origin story really shows how he came from nothing into the one of the greatest leaders and warrior in the land. The ending of the book is the cause and origins of Redwa ...more
Joseph Leskey
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody
This was extremely well written and entertaining. I enjoyed it vastly.
Josiah
Jun 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
"It's a long hard road ahead for you, little warrior. Enjoy a happy day while you can."

—Boldred, "Martin the Warrior", P. 267

"Don't think about what you could have done, concentrate on what you plan to do; it is more useful."

—Boldred, P. 335

The ability of Brian Jacques to create an entirely new world that is bursting at the seams with deep, suspensefully plotted adventures, characters overflowing with originality and life, and epic, imaginative quests that could appeal to even the most hard-
Elizabeth
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
So, this is possibly the best Redwall book that Jacques ever wrote. It’s focused (no random sideplots that have nothing to do with the main one), it has a lot of characters but doesn’t jump between them too much a la Salamandastron, it has unique features that depart from the formulas of previous books, and the ending is simply fantastic (but also sad).

And the number one reason why this book is so great is:

(view spoiler) WHHHHHYYYYYYYY?

(view spoiler)
Rick Davis
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Martin the Warrior by Brian Jacques

I had been pretty burnt out on the Redwall books after Mossflower, Mattimeo, and Salamandastron. Redwall was a creative and fun book, but it seemed that all its successors were progressively formulaic and uncreative. Martin the Warrior, however, is a return to the same creative spirit of the original book, and, in my opinion, improves upon it.

The book explores the early life of Martin the Warrior after he has been made a slave by Badrang, the cruel tyrant of Ma
Cindi
Excellent stuff! We will be reading more of the Redwall books. The cast for the audio version was excellent with the bulk of it being read by the author himself (always a treat), plus a whole crew of talented actors.

Martin is brave, strong and everything a hero should be. The bad guys are really bad. The clash between them is almost on par with "The Lord of the Rings," except the story has forest animals as the main characters.

How I love summer road trips. We accomplish so much "reading" this wa
Alice T.
Oct 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
By far the BEST book in the Redwall seiries. Martin is amazing. I listened to the tape when i first heard it but if i had read it i would not have been able to put it down! really great story. i loved it. Rose is really cool also. It is all about how they save a bunch of slaves from searats and other pleasent animals. Really amazing book. Sad at the end but then cheers up. Martin is really cool. You really have to have a certain taste for Brian Jaques style, but most people would like it. The ta ...more
Angela Mondragon
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Andrew
May 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: c-literature
The story is pretty thin and the there are a lot of boring parts. I hate that every meal needed to be described in excruciating detail - although it did add to the immersion of the world. Martin the Warrior was cooler when he was just a legend shrouded in mystery.
Joshua Tooth
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Also a great read! Really Good Book!
Gus
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a very exciting story of both loss and victory. After having his father killed by the searat Badrang, Martin must watch as everything he knows is taken from him at a young age. When Badrang and his crew arrive to the coast Martin and his village reside on death and destruction soon follow. Badrang kills all that oppose him and the ones that don't are soon sold into slavery. The slaves then suffer as the turn their once beautiful land into a vicious territory controlled by their crue ...more
Oz Barton
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Like many, I grew up adoring the Redwall series, so it pains me to give this two stars now.

This past summer I found my collection of Redwall books — I have the first dozen — and chose to reread this one because it was, in my opinion at the time, the best of them.

And frankly, it isn't all that great.

The writing itself is depressingly mediocre, the plot (like all of them) meandering and predictable. The colloquial quirks of the different animal species (molespeech, the shrews, etc.) and the painst
Chaitea43
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it

This book was a little bit too childish for me, to be honest. I had started Jacques' series years ago as a 12 or 10-year-old, and liked it then, but even then it was a little too easy for the characters, a little too simple-minded for me.

Now it is even moreso since I'm an adult, however...this book does what it sets out to do. It is a heartwarming tale, written in simple yet pretty prose. Jacques' descriptions of landscapes are captivating; he knows how to set a scene. His eating and food scenes
Brigitte
This book is about a mouse named Martin. He lives in a world were all "unworthy" animals are slaved to an animal overlord. Martin, like all of the other slaves hated this overlord and all of his followers. It is Martin's quest to escape his slavery with as many other animals as he can, and defeat the evil overlord. It is all up to Martin to save the slaves.
There are many external conflicts in this book. Many of them are Martin vs. the overlord or one of his followers. One of the more frequent
Ally
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Martin the Warrior is by Brian Jacques. It is fantasy because animals are talking.The main characters are Redwall, Martin, Grumm, Captin Tramun, and Rose. Redwall started out as a small mouse but now he is a hero and is adventurious. Martin is grey mouse with heroic skills. Grumm is a wise mouse and can try to act funny and heroic.Rose is Martin's sister and she is heroic too. Captin Tramun is the bad guy they run into him and he has a bunch of scars. They go to a bunch of places during the sto ...more
Odhran
Ah, Redwall. A source of much enjoyment to me as a young leveret. Oh the feasts! Oh the adventure! Oh the villains!

Obviously, it doesn't hold up well. I mean, I'm rarely one to be overly focused on poor writing if there are some redeeming features (a good plot will allow me to excuse bad style), but Brian Jacques isn't a very good writer. I know children's books are very often clunky as all hell, but that's not good enough. I can understand wanting to tone down themes a bit for youngsters, but t
Kelsey Hanson
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Spoilers ahead!

This one was always my least favorite Redwall novel growing up largely because of its bittersweet ending (But it was still a Redwall book so I still really liked it). Now I have a better appreciation for this novel. Martin is an awesome character and the mythos surrounding him is a driving force throughout the series. I really enjoy the novels that focus on him and his past. Plus I've always enjoyed books that feature the little guy fighting back against an impossible foe. A big r
Dan Martin
Jul 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
I'm giving all these books a 4, because they basically GOT me hooked on fantasy I think. I read all of these in elementary school, and still have fond memories floating around. The rad legendary weapons, (with the channels etched in for blood flow, which i found super hardcore). The foods, the booze, honey mead and apple wine or whatever. Come to think of it, these books might also be a little responsible for my alcoholism, too.

i remember this one being one of the best though. Martin is a badass
Kristy G. Stewart
Aug 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
This Redwall books was especially wonderful, for me, because it was so atypical. It just wasn't like the rest of them. In fact, I must say that, as the series grew larger, I found that I liked the books that occured in distant lands better than the ones near Redwall, because the ones by the abbey were sometimes slightly redundant.

Anyway, this particular book was awesome. And I punched a guy over it. I think it was the first time I punched someone outside of my family too, so it is extra awesome.
Nathan Major
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
While it is easy to argue that the Redwall books quickly fell into a formula, Martin the Warrior is a black sheep in so many ways. There is no Redwall to save. The heroes are not constantly on the defense. There is a genuine love interest you care about. Not to mention easily the most heartbreaking ending of any of the books in the entire series.
Martin the Warrior is the best Redwall book, easily. It's compelling, unique, and beautiful.
Janet
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, animals, fantasy
I’m always a little depressed when I finish one of Jacques’ books. Even though these are purportedly for children, he doesn’t shy away from violence, or death. At least one of my favorite characters usually manages to get killed off. And even though I’m an adult, I always finish a book and wish I could live at Redwall Abbey.
Ben The
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I really liked this, but it had the same thing, well what happens about in all of them, is that a rescue party always comes at the last minute when it seems all is lost. but it was still one of the best because of all the previous stuff, i mean this was the first book i read, so of course it was amazing. but like this one,other books have a last minute rescue.

still WAY worth reading,
ben
joanna
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-that-talk
Marvelous! Read by the author and a full cast of colorful characters, whose voices brought their already vivid personalities to life. I love how Brian Jacques told real stories of heroic valor and war and strife and suffering, but made them accessible to children as well as adults by using animals instead of humans. Loved it.
Wealhtheow
Sep 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In Redwall, everyone knows of the famed Martin the Warrior, the founder and most valiant defender of Redwall Abbey. This is the story of how he came to be a legend. Martin is a fantastic character, and his adventures are enthralling.
Evan Leach
My pick for the best of the Redwall series. Martin the Warrior is the legendary hero of the Redwall universe, and this book does him full justice. Very entertaining story with a strong final act, this was one of my favorite books as a youngster. 4.5 stars, highly recommended!
Am I the only one who loves this book? 28 99 Aug 28, 2014 11:53AM
  • Urchin of the Riding Stars (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #1)
  • The Iron Ring
  • Bringer of Storms (Binding of the Blade #2)
  • Sunwing (Silverwing, #2)
  • The Dark Portal (The Deptford Mice, #1)
  • Fox's Feud (Farthing Wood, #3)
  • The Seven Songs (Merlin Saga, #2)
  • Ragweed (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #0)
  • In the Time of Dinosaurs (Megamorphs, #2)
  • Fire Bringer
  • Redwall: The Graphic Novel
  • Dinotopia: The World Beneath
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St. Joh
More about Brian Jacques...

Redwall (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Redwall (Redwall, #1)
  • Mossflower (Redwall, #2)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)
  • Salamandastron (Redwall, #5)
  • The Bellmaker (Redwall, #7)
  • Outcast of Redwall (Redwall, #8)
  • Pearls of Lutra (Redwall, #9)
  • The Long Patrol (Redwall, #10)
  • Marlfox (Redwall, #11)
“Throughout his life the memory of that happy day stayed locked secretly in (his) heart.” 40 likes
“It's a long hard road ahead for you, little warrior. Enjoy a happy day while you can.

—Boldred”